Any other parents worried about their children and the railings

abbyndrewmom

Just wanted to say thank you to Deb from Cali. I was wanting info on the toddler hand holder for our will be 18 month old on our RCCI cruise in Nov 05. You definitely gave me all the info I wanted to know. I hate those "leashes" too, but decided I'd rather be safe then sorry and at least bring it with me on the cruise. ;) We're driving to the port, so we don't have to worry about an airport too. Well, thanks again.

Anyone going on the Mariner of the Sea 13 Nov 05 with a toddler? :)

Kim

I, too, am traveling with two small children (7 and 2). And, of course, have the same fears (nightmares, cold sweats, etc.). However, I just thought of something else: IF for some reason one or both of them wander off or get away from us and attempted to climb the "railing" even with the safety measures in place, I'm sure that the other passengers around would certainly intervene. I know I would. Anyone who saw this type of activity and ignored it would not have a heart in my book.

I keep telling myself that they'll be ok, and we will all enjoy ourselves!

• 8 months later...

Hi, this is just my 2nd post on this site, but I've been reading everything available for weeks! What a wonderful resource for every possible question you could have about cruising.

We're going on the Liberty 3/12/06 w/ our children. Our 13yo DD is very responsible and I don't really worry about her. It's the 5yo DS that has me in knots. We took him on the NCL Majesty 3/03 and I also took one of the "leashes" and used it whenever we went into a large crowd or on a deck where I felt uncomfortable. Yes, we got many disapproving looks and some snide remarks, but I held-fast and kept the safety strap on him. I kept telling myself that I would be bringing my son home happy and safe, and I'd never see those naysayers again. Honestly, I don't know that I really needed it because the ships are designed to keep the passengers safe. However, just to make my own fears a little less, I'll be taking the harness again this year.

One note about the safety harnesses - there may be several styles, but the one we have has a removable strap that connects parent to child. You can put the harness on your child and remove the strap. Very convenient.

We will have our 1st balcony cabin this year and I've had worries about our little guy getting out there without one of us. I went to the Dollar Store and found a door alarm that attaches w/ adhesive (and can be removed at the end of the cruise). Much like the sensors on home alarm systems - when the connection of the 2 parts is broken by opening the door, a whistle sounds. (Very effective on the 13yo bedroom door to keep little brother out!).

Hope this helps - your posts are all so helpful to me, thank you.

You'd think in this day and age others would be appreciative that you have your child on a leash and are not allowing them to run free.

As well, it's far too eash to snatch a "loose" child when in a crowd!

As far as i could see, the railings are almost 4' high and angled slightly inward. It would be difficult for a child I think to climb over. There are also safety cages (although I don't know that they would catch a small child) running the length of all the rails.

That being said, i agree that with all the adults roaming around, an intervention would surely happen in a worse case scenario. My advice is to simply educate the dangers of climbing on the railings before hand. Some kids may innocently want to hop up to get a better look. Educate and watch them closely.

I have my own "nightmares" about my children falling overboard. While reading this thread, I asked myself if I had the same problem going to a regular hotel with a balcony, or even just going to the mall which is a couple of stories tall and has balconies. I did not give them any thought beforehand. I would keep watch over them, but was not concerned or had any fears.

The only time I have ever been concerned with heights and my children was at Stone Mountian Ga. My DS was 2, and DDs were 4 and 6. We were at the bottom, getting ready to climb up the 1.5 mile trail, and my 4 year old says "When I get to the top, I can fly". There was an adult on each side of her the rest of the walk...

We don't get a balcony because our girl is pretty active and impulsive. In fact, we even tell Princess we do not want an upgrade.

If you want to hear a horror story, read my review of my last cruise (see post #17) about a mother who dropped her kid (accidently) off the gangway railing:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=285469

• 2 months later...
IF for some reason one or both of them wander off or get away from us and attempted to climb the "railing" even with the safety measures in place, I'm sure that the other passengers around would certainly intervene. I know I would. Anyone who saw this type of activity and ignored it would not have a heart in my book.
You don't have to rely upon strangers to keep an eye out -- the public areas have no "railings" to be climbed. The railings are on the outside and the inside is a wall of solid plexiglass. You cannot touch the railings. Unless the child can jump up over his head, hold onto the top railing, climb up inverted plexiglass, then go over the wide railing . . . he won't be going over the edge. And if he could, he's going to land on the deck below, not in the ocean.

Really, once you see it, you won't be worried. Private balconies do hold some danger, but the public areas are completely safe.

I'd be worried about teenagers who want to show off by climbing up on the railing (especially if they've been drinking), but I wouldn't worry about children. I don't think the average teenager could do it; it'd take one with some athletic ability.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

When we are in the public areas I make sure he's in his umbrella stroller or we are holding his hands. I'm also paranoid about him falling over, that would be my worst fear. I refuse to let my worry ruin my vacation but I do stay on top of watching him.

On the Zuiderdam the railings on the promenade deck were spaced far apart which was scary but we never let him out of his stroller on that level.

This year we have a balcony that is not an aft location (our previous was) and so I'm a bit more worried about that but I'm going to be watching him like a hawk.

I have the most wonderful thing for my son. It's a little backpack with a leash that clips onto the top of it. The backpack clips around his front so it is secure. He can carry teddy or a bottle of water or bread for the ducks in it and be safe at the same time. I have had no, repeat NOT ONE, dirty look! I have had many, many people ask me where I got it though.:D It is called the daysack by little life.

http://shop.babyworld.co.uk/DisplayDetail.aspx?prodid=461

I don't know if you can get them in the US, but I am sure you could find a UK shipper.

It really is the best thing ever and gives me so much piece of mind.

(I sound like a spokesperson LOL! I am just so pleased with it.)

I was am also worried about this in regards to our cruise in October. My son has mild autism, but he is highly functional. Most people would never know by looking at him that he has it, but he does get impulsive. When we booked our trip (6 of us, my parents, me, my fiancee, DS and DD), we choose a ship that had solid railings (Carnival Liberty), and booked my parents and daughter in a balcony room, and the rest of us in an interior room. I am sure as we get closer to our date I will have nightmares, but if I have to I will keep both kids in our 3 person stateroom!

We are on the WIND next month....and I have been thinking about the leash just for MY sanity!

We were in the airport in Montreal last week and saw a woman traveling ALONE w/ 3 toddlers! She had them all on a leash...she looked like she was being pulled by a dog pack! It was very cute and funny. It was obviously one of those situations where the negitive "leash" implications were far outweighed by the saftey and practicality factors.

I think the cruise meets the same criteria! My son will be 19 months.... and we will watch him like a hawk..... but...the leash might be a reasonable addition to the packing list! We are traveling w/ my inlaws....and I'm more affraid of the time my son is w/ them.... maybe I'll institute a leash law for them!

I remember the rails of the ship all had metal or plexiglass, so I wouldn't be worried (if you're on Radiance, to be specific). I'm more worried about really tall people leaning too far, and having their center of gravity taking them down. But that's not kids, lol.

When my son was a toddler I purchased a little item we affectionately called the hand holder. I think that I purchased it in a children's/baby store like Baby's R Us. Anyway it is basically a leash. It is about 3 feet long with a velco

strap that connects to the child. The other side has a regular handle like a dog leash.

I did get a few dirty looks and snide comments about have a child on a leash but when I bothered to point out that it was better that having him lost in the International bldg at LAX,they had to agree. Since my son is part Polynesian and a mixture of European ancestory he looks like he could belong in almost any part of the world. All someone had to do was to grabs him and get on a plane.

I have the most wonderful thing for my son. It's a little backpack with a leash that clips onto the top of it. The backpack clips around his front so it is secure. He can carry teddy or a bottle of water or bread for the ducks in it and be safe at the same time. I have had no, repeat NOT ONE, dirty look! I have had many, many people ask me where I got it though.:D It is called the daysack by little life.

http://shop.babyworld.co.uk/DisplayDetail.aspx?prodid=461

If our harness worked for my boy, I'd use it often! As it is, he likes to pull to the very end, and then he topples over.

Funny, he's never met a sled dog in his life, but I was "raised" by Alaskan Malamutes, and I guess he's managed to become a Malamute somehow. :)

Speaking of big dogs with questionable obedience skills, having been "raised by" them, I'm a HUGE proponent of leash laws. You show me an off-leash park, I see a big place of dogfights, runaway dogs being squished by trucks, and kids getting bitten, just waiting to happen.

I feel that we use leashes with dogs because we LOVE them, not because they are lesser beings.

And I feel the same way about kids. I love my boy. I don't want him to get away and be run over. He's a toddler, which is rather like a normal Malamute. They'll "obey" if they feel like it or if it's in their own personal nature (a friend had one of those naturally placid, obedient kids, lucky her), but the rest of the time, ya gotta watch 'em! :)

Plus, since my single mom had TWO malamutes and TWO kids, ayep she had the four of us on harnesses and leads. :) Quite a sight, I imagine! We were totally happy with them, we were ALL safe (she generally used them with us when we all went to the beach in Monterey with highway on one side and water and rocks on the other), she could breathe, it was all good. No harm done and lots of harm averted!

I just wish Wee Bairn didn't go all sled dog on me in his.

We have the Safety 1st ugly blue harness that goes around the chest (I'm a former chiropractor and cannot abide by the ones that attach by the wrist... kid's shoulders and spines are pulled on enough when we insist on holding their hands, let alone having the ability to YANK on a kid's wrist...). I also have an Eddie Bauer backpack-style one that is a bear. It's so cute. He loves it, though he likes holding the lead part in his own hands (which takes away the purpose of the thing).

I got that at Target, though they are only showing the Puppy and Monkey backpack/harnesses online right now.

• 1 year later...

We are considering a Holland America cruise, most likely on the Zuiderdam. Looking at photos from a previous cruise on the Zuiderdam, the metal rungs on the railings on the Promenade deck and Sports deck look to be rather widely spaced, wide enough for an 18 month old to slip through if at the right angle. Is there any truth to this or am I just worrying too much? I suppose we just wouldn't let our toddler toddle on these decks. That would solve the problem.

Yes--you are worrying too much! The rails are high, the slats aren't too far apart and at age 5 & 7, they won't be far from you anyway. Do you have a porch or a deck? Have your kids fallen off of that? They won't fall off the ship.

Yes--you are worrying too much! The rails are high, the slats aren't too far apart and at age 5 & 7, they won't be far from you anyway. Do you have a porch or a deck? Have your kids fallen off of that? They won't fall off the ship.

Actually those kids are over 6 and 8 now, the thread is OLD.

skywalkervadar - It's all common sense. We all worry about the rails until you see it for yourself. You're right, a toddler won't be walking around the upper decks unattended anyway. No child has ever fallen off a ship. No worries. :)

I think I remember reading here that the balcony doors are VERY heavy and not easy to open and I think I also read there is a lock at the top...not sure tho. Cruising in a week with a 2yo and 4 yo and a balcony cabin...I am worried too...but I have noticed it is always someone drunk or suicidal that falls overboard..you never hear about this happening to children so to me that says something (or I like to tell myself it does, lol.:D )

I have never heard of a child falling overboard, so I know it's irrational but, in 4 weeks we will be cruising on Carnival Liberty with a 3 yo and we recently upgraded to a balcony. I have been having nightmares of her getting out to the balcony while we are sleeping and climbing up on a chair and falling overboard ever since. I'm also worried about her getting out of the cabin without us knowing. She has never gotten up at home that we didn't hear her, and we aren't even in the same room. I don't think it will happen, I am just a paranoid mama.

Okay all you worried Moms,

When my son was a toddler I purchased a little item we affectionately called the hand holder. I think that I purchased it in a children's/baby store like Baby's R Us. Anyway it is basically a leash. It is about 3 feet long with a velco

strap that connects to the child. The other side has a regular handle like a dog leash. My orginal reasoning was to keep track of him at LAX when we flew to Tahiti when he was 18 months old.

I did get a few dirty looks and snide comments about have a child on a leash but when I bothered to point out that it was better that having him lost in the International bldg at LAX,they had to agree. Since my son is part Polynesian and a mixture of European ancestory he looks like he could belong in almost any part of the world. All someone had to do was to grabs him and get on a plane.

While we were in Tahiti we took the ferry over to Morea. The hand holder was back on him the minute I saw the railing system for the ferry boat. A toddler could easy slip through the railing and be overboard in a heartbeat. Every mother on that ferry wanted one. I could have made a fortune just selling the one I had to the highest bidder. I would have given it to one of the local mother's except I was going to need it going back into LAX to come home.

If I had to do it again I would in a heartbeat. Be prepared to get some dirty looks, but I would rather have my child safe. BTW I never lost the toddler at LAX, but the oldest was 6 and he wandered away and was lost for a few minutes while we are awaiting our flight, it about gave me a heart attack. :eek:

Deb

We have 3 of these for our DD. A 2 monkey backpacks (one for us and one stays with grandma) and a pink purse that just happens to attach to a very long strap. Since she started hating her stroller we have used them all over the place and we have never had anyone say anything to us except other mothers ask "where did you get that?". Like you said, it's a lot better than having her possibly run off or heaven forbid get lured away.

Okay all you worried Moms,

strap that connects to the child. The other side has a regular handle like a dog leash. My orginal reasoning was to keep track of him at LAX when we flew to Tahiti when he was 18 months old.

While we were in Tahiti we took the ferry over to Morea. The hand holder was back on him the minute I saw the railing system for the ferry boat. A toddler could easy slip through the railing and be overboard in a heartbeat. Every mother on that ferry wanted one. I could have made a fortune just selling the one I had to the highest bidder. I would have given it to one of the local mother's except I was going to need it going back into LAX to come home.

If I had to do it again I would in a heartbeat. Be prepared to get some dirty looks, but I would rather have my child safe. BTW I never lost the toddler at LAX, but the oldest was 6 and he wandered away and was lost for a few minutes while we are awaiting our flight, it about gave me a heart attack. :eek:

Deb

I agree, I was always the mom who said "I'll never leash my child..." but when you have more than one, esp. and they're running one direction while the other is not... well -- get one.

This is what we have (my daughter broke the velcro wrist strap, not sturdy enough), at Wal Mart they have some really really cute backpack ones ($10)... they are soft and look like a stuffed monkey or puppy animal... the tail (which hook snaps on or off, in case you don't want to use it -- or we fold it up and put it in the small pocket in easy reach to re-grab) is long enough to give them a tiny amount of freedom, but keep hold, about 3 feet. You won't get the look with these, they are too cute. Most people say "what a good idea!" And my kids like them because they think they're wearing a back pack... when my daughter does throw a fit, I remind her, "you wear the pack or you stay home."

She knows that even though she hasn't had to use it for a long time, now (she's 3) she HAS to use it on the cruise and in ports. That or stay on the ship in camp. If you have a problem try using it for short periods on the ship and if they cry or fight it, take them to camp and say they can't do whatever it is you're doing... once or twice should get the point across as long as you follow through.

I bought this so I could go to the grocery store with my two kids (1 & 2) when my oldest daughter was running off across Wal Mart and my 1 year old was sitting in the cart... LIFE SAVER!

Archived