Suggestion for Host Dan

wripro

It seems that lately no matter what the title of any thread is it usually turns into a discussion of smoking. This occurs on all the luxury line boards. Personally, I do not smoke, do not like it and believe ti should be limited to a very few spots on any ship but I am still bothered that every discussion disintegrates into a condemnation and/or defense of smoking.

Is it possible to start a sticky like the one for referral coupons dedicated to the smoking issue so that every other thread is not hijacked? Thanks.

Thanks, all. I hope Host Dan thinks so too. Of course, currently I'm sure he's busy having a great time on the Sojourn.

Hi wripro

Applaud your idea. I think we need the same thing on the Silversea board, the latest smoking thread is way out of control.

Cheers

Jennifer

It seems that lately no matter what the title of any thread is it usually turns into a discussion of smoking. This occurs on all the luxury line boards. Personally, I do not smoke, do not like it and believe ti should be limited to a very few spots on any ship but I am still bothered that every discussion disintegrates into a condemnation and/or defense of smoking.

Is it possible to start a sticky like the one for referral coupons dedicated to the smoking issue so that every other thread is not hijacked? Thanks.

So, if someone comes back from a cruise and posts a report of their cruise and one of the things they write about is how smoky their stateroom was, are you suggesting that they post to your "smoking sticky" as opposed to a separate report?

What about comments related to dress code and perceived violations of same and other subjects that are hotly debated?

I think that trip reports are just that, but the 'stickies' can be used for discussions, particularly for new to Seabourn cruisers or changes in policies, etc. And there could be a few of them for topics such as you mentioned, such as dress code and perhaps tipping?

• Administrators

Well, in all honesty the idea of a thread veering off the original discussion is called "hijacking" and it really shouldn't be happening.

Perhaps you can help Host Dan and the rest of us out by IMMEDIATELY reporting a post that hijacks a discussion. I can assure you we take hijacking very seriously! It is very annoying indeed to think something new has been posted in a topic you were following, only to find out someone else has deemed it more important to talk about what THEY want to talk about.

Give a hand -- report a post. We'll get right on it!

Laura

I don't think it's the hijacking per se, Dan is good at keeping us in line. It's for topics that occur ad nauseum, from potential cruisers who ask about smoking, tipping, and the wine lists for example. They could be referred to those threads and the seasoned Seabourners can refer them to that spot. Unfortunately, the search function isn't used enough either. But to plug in smoking, for example, would lend itself to many threads, almost too numerous to count and peruse.

Hi Jennifer,

I agree there should be a sticky on all the luxury lines. Anyone who wants to discuss smoking can be referred there and those of us who don't constantly want to read about it can be spared.

Totally agree - and one on children, or one which covers both topics. I plead guilty to having a bit of a 'rant' about children, and if I could have done a report on the cruise and referred to the sticky for anyone who cared to hear about the children on board the rest of you would not have to be bored silly, and newcomers could find out what people think on these topics, in particular - perhaps the others as well; wines etc.

Archived