What are you wearing on your next formal night?

It has really been interesting to read the various threads regarding formal nights. My husband and I are all for dressing up but as I read some of the posts I almost wonder if you can get to dressed up these days?

We are going on Adventure of the Seas and are planning on doing the tux and gown attire.

I thought it would be fun to see what others do on their formal nights.

It has really been interesting to read the various threads regarding formal nights. My husband and I are all for dressing up but as I read some of the posts I almost wonder if you can get to dressed up these days?

We are going on Adventure of the Seas and are planning on doing the tux and gown attire.

I thought it would be fun to see what others do on their formal nights.

No tux or gown here. DH will wear a suit and I'll wear a black dress (not gown) for one night and dressy pants and a nice top for the 2nd formal unless we decide to ditch and go up to the WJ casual :D It's amazing how you can glitz up a non formal outfit with the right accessories, shoes, etc.

You both sound like you will look very elegant. Have a wonderful cruise.

No tux or suit on our next cruise because we are flying to Costa Rica the same morning that we get off the ship. We don't want to lug the extra clothes on that trip. Normally, I would wear my tux. We will be eating in Chops and Sambas on formal nights.

Enjoy your cruise! :D

I love to get dressed up with a nice dress and nice jewelry.... and not just on a cruise. Really what is the difference if you put on a nice gown for formal night or a casual dress??? Does it take more time? No. When my mother and I last cruised together a few months ago she commented about how dressed up I got, I find it funny to hear that from her and others on cruise critic about "dressing up". I could go on and on about this topic. Really someone please tell me why it is so difficult to put on a "gown or cocktail dress" versus "pants/ shirt or casual dress"?

So to answer OP question, on my next "Formal night" which will be Christmas day, I will be wearing a long Calvin Kline red gown and my husband will be wearing a nice dark suit.

I will be in a sundress or skirt and top and my husband will be in nice jeans or slacks and a dress shirt. Because we will be in a specialty restaurant on both formal nights!:) Love not having to drag formal clothes along with us on a tropical vacation. We get enough of formal events at home- don't want to do it on vacation.

Whatever will get me into Johnny Rockets!! :D

We used to really enjoy dressing up for formal nights, but since they usually land on Sea Days ...... and since we like to have EXTRA FUN :D :D on sea days, we usually don't wind up making a sit-down dinner anymore on those days! Too busy having fun! :)

DH will be wearing his tux. He looks so cute in it! I will be wearing a lavender long gown with a ruffle down the front and spaghetti straps. The second formal night, my gown will be black in a similar style.

We are retired folks living in a sunbelt area. We don't get many occasions to get out of our jeans/shorts and tee shirts. Cruises are our excuse to play dress up.

We "clean up nice"

I was thinking about wearing the lovely white evening wear that they provide in the suites....:D

JK - I am not in a suite, therefore I won't have a nice robe to wear...hmmmm I guess I will have to wear the usual cocktail/formal dresses that I keep in my closet just for cruising. ;) I will also FORCE my hubby into his black suit.

I will be in a sundress or skirt and top and my husband will be in nice jeans or slacks and a dress shirt. Because we will be in a specialty restaurant on both formal nights!:) Love not having to drag formal clothes along with us on a tropical vacation. We get enough of formal events at home- don't want to do it on vacation.

I am NOT the Clothes Police, and I am not telling you what to do.

I am merely reporting what I have seen and heard.

I have seen people in Chops/Portofino in jeans.

I have also seen/heard people being turned away for wearing jeans.

Will it happen to you? I have no idea. But I wanted you to know that it HAS happened and COULD happen again.

Dress in the specialty restaurants is "smart casual", not casual, and sometimes they enforce that.

I'll be wearing a nice fancy cocktail dress I just bought (gotta love having an excuse to buy a new dress!) for the first formal night, and a slightly less fancy cocktail dress on the second.

I enjoy dressing up both at home and on vacation, despite having to lug the extra clothes and accessories on the plane.. I think it's worth it.

We haven't gone on our trip yet but we have given a lot of thought to the formal nights already. For at least one of the nights I have a black cocktail dress and Brad will wear dress pants and a button down with a tie. No full tux or suit for us. Brad has to wear a suit everyday to work and asking him to wear a full suit on vacation just doesn't seem far. For the other formal night, we will have two formal nights on our 7 day cruise, I will either do a simple sun dress or other nice attire and Brad will wear dress pants and a button down. Not sure if he will do a tie for the first formal night or not.

I will be in one of what I call my "costumes". These are long summer dresses that were bought to attend weddings - I never thought I would get much wear out of them, but they have been cruising with me for 10 years. They are light, comfortable and pack well -also Caribbean colorful and cheery.

It is fun to dress up but we try to travel lite to Europe and hubby will be in dark pants and sports jacket and I have perfect black pants with a very thin long hand painted silk jacket that folds up into almost nothing.......as we only use a 25" suitcase each cocktail dresses and extra shoes don't fit any more besides the weight limits now imposed.

crazyred

I am NOT the Clothes Police, and I am not telling you what to do.

I am merely reporting what I have seen and heard.

I have seen people in Chops/Portofino in jeans.

I have also seen/heard people being turned away for wearing jeans.

Will it happen to you? I have no idea. But I wanted you to know that it HAS happened and COULD happen again.

Dress in the specialty restaurants is "smart casual", not casual, and sometimes they enforce that.

They haven't on any of the cruises we have been on. When my husband wears a great pair of well fitting, dark wash jeans, a dress shirt and loafers he looks way more "formal" than a man wearing baggy dockers and a golf shirtl.

Archived