What are you wearing on your next formal night?

On our most recent RCCL cruise, the maitre'd allowed a guy in shorts and a golf shirt, as well as another guy in a set of work jeans by Dickies and a bluejean jacket with a plumbing company logo on the back, in the MDR on formal night.:eek:

With that as a standard, I think if I put on a pair of dark dockers and a nice shirt with a tie, I'll be well under the radar on formal nights.

Sure makes packing a lot easier.

On our most recent RCCL cruise, the maitre'd allowed a guy in shorts and a golf shirt, as well as another guy in a set of work jeans by Dickies and a bluejean jacket with a plumbing company logo on the back, in the MDR on formal night.:eek:

With that as a standard, I think if I put on a pair of dark dockers and a nice shirt with a tie, I'll be well under the radar on formal nights.

Sure makes packing a lot easier.

On my last couple RCCL cruises I have worn shirts and ties and Khaki's and have at or above the norm. Now days, I think alot of people (No, I didn't say all of them) wear tuxes just because they have them. Your shirt and tie would put you right there in the masses.

Our last two cruises were really dressy with a tux and formal, but our next one is a b2b2b with a day in between #1 and #2. We will be with the family on #1 and they don't dress up as much as us (VERY nice in their suits, dress shirts and ties, and fancy dress), so we will probably take the jacket/tie and dressy-dress route. It will help a little with the luggage, too.

We will be in the Jewel in two weeks for an 11 night cruise with two formal nights. DH will be in a tux both nights; I have a long formal for one formal night and a red, knee length cocktail dress for the other.

We are both recently retired, so I no longer have to dress for the office, and I actually miss that. Dressing for formal nights will be a nice change of pace from my usual daily attire of jeans and sweats.

We're cruising ROS for NYE and have two formal nights on our cruise.

DH is wearing a dark suit with a formal dress shirt.

I've packed a teal ballgown (very oceany in colour) with a lace up back and a royal purple ballgown that has a ruched neck line.

I know I've gone over the top but I've also brought two cocktail dresses - a 'baby doll'-style dress with a floaty skirt in a toffee colour. The other dress is a plunge neck halter top in a colour described as 'Wedgewood' - white with dusky blue undertones.

I love dressing up because we so rarely get to do it in the 'real' world.

I have a closet full of formal dresses from our recent cruises to Rome, Paris and London and I just love them..but the really fabulous shopping is still in Miami...and I am not going to tell everyone where I shop there, because then you all will copy and know it, and I truly love all the compliments I get....love you guys

I personally dress up every night because here in Cancun its too hot to bother...so I really do go for the glamour every single night...its much easier.

Short formal elegant dresses for dinner, to give respect for that fabulous dining room and then on formal nights its like the Oscars...it's so much fun for us

Will I like to wear my best jeans and a long sleave shirt. I may wear flip flops or tennis shoes depending on the weather. :eek:

I just came off Freedon 2 weeks ago and on the 2nd formal night I saw a dude with very nice long sleeve button-up shirt/tie, pressed dress slacks and flip flops :eek:

he was allowed into the MDR.

DH will be wearing slacks, dress shirt and tie, maybe a jacket. I have an aqua halter style dress, and if I can fit into it a long lavender and black lace long dress, and if not then a shorter black velvet dress. Depends on how much I indulge ;)

It has really been interesting to read the various threads regarding formal nights. My husband and I are all for dressing up but as I read some of the posts I almost wonder if you can get to dressed up these days?

We are going on Adventure of the Seas and are planning on doing the tux and gown attire.

I thought it would be fun to see what others do on their formal nights.

Hopefully I will be wearing my skinnier tux since I will have lost the weight I wanted too :D

When my husband wears a great pair of well fitting, dark wash jeans, a dress shirt and loafers he looks way more "formal" than a man wearing baggy dockers and a golf shirtl.

I agree the most the times a great pair of jeans works Im from SF we wear jeans and long sleeve shirts to 4* restaurants My jeans are prob worth morth more tham most mens suits on cruises BUT.............

While I like your husbands attire on regular nights as Im wearing the same thing most days. On formal nights a suit and tie is a must at least and if your doing Ports or Chops @ least slacks with the great long sleeve dress shirt and comfortable shoes

Now just in case someone saw me on my last B2B that i had no intentions of going to the MDR I went to the store on the promenade and bought a tie for the night with my slacks

If my Tailor had seeen the way i looked he would have never aknowleged me but the head waiter laughed @ me and said "nice of you to put on a tie for us"

Now saying that I saw a guy we saw a guy dressed in 80's gear for the entire cruise and was allowed in the MDR

He had muscle shirts and everthing one night he was wearing a shirt showing his belly button off:eek: a top my GF wouldnt even try wearing and she has a flat tummy

It has really been interesting to read the various threads regarding formal nights. My husband and I are all for dressing up but as I read some of the posts I almost wonder if you can get to dressed up these days?

We are going on Adventure of the Seas and are planning on doing the tux and gown attire.

I thought it would be fun to see what others do on their formal nights.

In the past I've worn a tux and my wife has worn a cocktail dress. On our last several cruises the majority of men have been in suits or sports coats while the women have worn everything from slacks with blouses to cocktail dresses. My wife has grown tired of going through all the fuss of getting dressed up when so many others don't do the same that we've decided to dress down a little more on our next cruise. I'm planning on wearing my suit and tie and she'll dress in slacks or a skirt with a nice top.

We may not be as dressed up as we've been in the past but we'll both be a little more comfortable and, it will take less time to get ready.

DH will be wearing his tux, and I just got a new gown. I love gowns now I have an excuse to buy them. But I do bargin hunt. Also have other dresses for dinner every night. But what ever you are comfortable wearing

is ok. Everyone has differant tastes.:D

We'll leave the formal wear, the "dress up" and running to get to dinner on time for everyone else ... as we'll be relaxing in either the swimming pool or the hot tub ...

Dinner will be a comfortable quiet ocassion in the WJ, just for the two of us ... it gives us a chance to "catch up" on life. Between an ugly work schedule / commute (Michael), and Silke doing a yeomans job as the best mom on earth, we don't have the chance to spend quality time together ... unless we're on vacation.

Michael and Silke

I will wear what I have always worn - khaki pants, button down long sleeved shirt, blazer and leather sandals. I do not wear ties. I put the blazer on, enter the MDR, put the blazer on the back of the chair and then carry it out in my hands. It is a lightweight version so it packs well.

Maybe next time I will wear my wetsuit and dive booties instead.

.and I am not going to tell everyone where I shop there, because then you all will copy and know it, and I truly love all the compliments I get..

Same here. I refuse to tell anyone where I get my to die for shorts and comfy shirt with matching flip flops I'll be wearing in the WJ on formal night!!

It's my secret and you'd have to drag it out of me!!! :D

Archived