Don't force me to eat with the hired help

Orator

This entire conversation makes me think that the world has more divisions than it should.

The passengers are better than the employees

The officers are better than the crew

The whites are better than the blacks

The blacks are better than the yellows

The yellows are better than the whites

The Muslims are better than the Jews

The Jews are better than the Muslims

The Christians are better than both

The Athiests don't care

The Buddists know no one is better

We really are all the same. Let us think more clearly about what this life is all about. It is about living as fully as possible, without harming another living person or thing. Caring not only for your fameily, but the family of man. Being as successfuly as possible and sharing the riches you are able to accumulate with those not able to due to the misdeads of others causing them live a lesser life.

What this has to due with cruising?

Life.

I am so glad I am just plain old down home kind of person! I hit it off with the room steward on the cruise from day one and joke around and conversate with them when I see them in the hallways or whereever! People have really gotten to be something with the "Oh we don't mingle with the hired help" type of attitude! I jus shake my head! WOW!

...and to those who may think of the uniformed officers as "stuffed shirts" who are required not to fraternize with the 'guests' I can recount at least one very visible instance when that couldn't have been farther from the truth.

We were sitting in the upper floor, Elite/Suites pre-boarding lounge in Terminal 18 waiting to board for one of our Solstice cruises.

As they entered from the ship I recognized across the room a ship officer/senior staff dressed in her black uniform with all the gold braid. As she approached the refreshments table I walked over where she'd have to see me as she turned around from it.

She instantly squealed with delight, called me by name and dashed the 15-20 feet in my direction, throwing her arms around me in a big hug! Suddenly all eyes in the room were on us, and I felt about 10 feet tall, reveling in the genuine-ness of this delightful soul with whom we'd developed a friendship through past sailings on other Celebrity vessels.

Truly, for me/us, the kind of Celebrity moment one will always cherish.

CM

I thought of a few other examples of "hired help":

Would you turn down an invitation to visit, or dine, with the President of the United States, or perhaps the Prime Minister of the UK, since they are "hired help"? How about the Mayor of your town or the Governor of your state? You might not always agree with their policies but you'd probably enjoy the chance to chat a bit.

Do you own stock in any companies, either directly or through your 401K or pension plan? If so would you turn down an invitation from the CEO of one of those companies? They're "just" the hired help after all.

Who's you're favorite musician? Maybe it's James Taylor, maybe Yo-Yo Ma, the conductor of your local symphony or a another famous artist. If you were at one of their concerts and ran into them and they asked you to join them for a drink after the concert would your refuse because, after all, they are just the hired help?

Of course I can go on and on and think of lots of examples of "hired help' I admire and respect and would love to sit down and enjoy some conversation with over a drink or a meal. My biggest problem with doing so would likely be that I'd be a bit intimidated and might be a bit speechless but I'd never look down on them as the "hired help".

A few weeks ago I was dining in Blu when a very high rank officer walk in. He went over to a table to greet some guests. I heard him say that he needed to leave quickly since he wasn't permitted to be in Blu. I asked one of my table mates about this and he told me that "even the Captain can't dine in Blu. Apparently,a past guest complained that no Officer should dine in Blu since it was reserved for AQ guests and the officers, including the Master, were only "hired help". I'm certainly glad that I don't know the name of the guest for a would violate some rule and post it. I would be honored to sit with any officer and I guess most would agree. One response to this snobbery would be a "Captain's Table" in Blu. I view the entire staff, not as "hired help", but as very fine people who are working to provide me with the best vacation possible. I'd like to offer a sincere "Thank You" for all their efforts.

There are people who are tourists and there are voyagers who savour the different. The choice is yours. No one should be overly judgemental. Personally I think it would be interesting to learn about the crew & their respective countries.

Carole

Lighten up, folks!

For anyone familiar with the British sitcom "Keeping Up Appearances" you'll recall the famous episode where Daisy and Onslow won a cruise on the QE2....in a grill class cabin....and nightly dining at the Captain's table.

Onslow, who's idea of fine dining consisted of a six pack and hot dogs, was appalled to think people pay top dollar to sail QE2 only to have to "dine with the help"! :D

Can't believe you have mentioned this!!! I am just watching it and reading this at the same time....Yes it's just finished and Onslow said about eating with the crew!!!! The episode is "Sea fever"...Slapstick at it's best!!!!

Each to their own!!! It makes no difference to me if you want to sit at the Captain's Table or not.....There is no right or wrong answer!!!!

I thought of a few other examples of "hired help":

Would you turn down an invitation to visit, or dine, with the President of the United States, or perhaps the Prime Minister of the UK, since they are "hired help"? How about the Mayor of your town or the Governor of your state? You might not always agree with their policies but you'd probably enjoy the chance to chat a bit.

Do you own stock in any companies, either directly or through your 401K or pension plan? If so would you turn down an invitation from the CEO of one of those companies? They're "just" the hired help after all.

Who's you're favorite musician? Maybe it's James Taylor, maybe Yo-Yo Ma, the conductor of your local symphony or a another famous artist. If you were at one of their concerts and ran into them and they asked you to join them for a drink after the concert would your refuse because, after all, they are just the hired help?

Of course I can go on and on and think of lots of examples of "hired help' I admire and respect and would love to sit down and enjoy some conversation with over a drink or a meal. My biggest problem with doing so would likely be that I'd be a bit intimidated and might be a bit speechless but I'd never look down on them as the "hired help".

Well said Larry, couldn't have put it better myself.

I'm also one who doesn't "get" the attraction and general fawning of the captain and crew. Especially those who idolize the cruise director.

I'm not saying I'm better than them, it's just the whole thought process I can't wrap my head around. It's the same attitude that has people interrupting celebrities for an autograph while they eat, squealing and shouting on a street as a celebrity drives by.

Having a dinner/business meeting with a CEO that I hold a major stake of stock in, is quite different than dining with a captain of a vessel I'm vacationing on. It's a business meeting, I probably have a personal relationship with the CEO...oh, and I don't share it with everyone I meet afterwards to prove my worth.

I agree, a business may set ground rules and limitations for folks that work for the company. A business sets rules, and nobody is forced to work there.

But in my business, if anyone referred to anyone else as "hired help" I'd fire that person very quickly, and be sure to give a bad reference when I got the chance. Sorry, there's a way to treat people, especially people who work with you and for you and are your face to the customer.

I'm a small business person and I've got no problems with rules, procedures, job titles and hierarchy. Any business needs that. But people's dignity should be respected and "hired help" is not in our lexicon here.

We've got a few senior managers earning healthy 6 figures. We've got other wonderful people earning $12 bucks an hour.

Yet, we either refer to each other by 1st name, or "sir".

Funny....our competitor's people send us resumes all the time. Our customers like coming in just to visit with us, even if no business is conducted.

This isn't directed at any of the comments on this thread, but the overall topic reminds me of the story about the well-dressed fellow standing at the airline check-kin counter. A woman barges up, slams her ticket on the counter, and loudly demands to be taken care of immediately because "I'm sitting in first class!"

Before the ticket agent can reply, the well-dressed gentleman slides her ticket back to her and calmly says "Madam, please kindly wait your turn. First class is a way of life, not a boarding pass."

This isn't directed at any of the comments on this thread, but the overall topic reminds me of the story about the well-dressed fellow standing at the airline check-kin counter. A woman barges up, slams her ticket on the counter, and loudly demands to be taken care of immediately because "I'm sitting in first class!"

Before the ticket agent can reply, the well-dressed gentleman slides her ticket back to her and calmly says "Madam, please kindly wait your turn. First class is a way of life, not a boarding pass."

I love this quote. And, "ain't it the truth".

Yeah, we don't want to eat with a bunch of people, from all different backgrounds, who have done quite well for themselves in the unique industry of cruising.

We have no interest in their life experiences, observations of various peoples and cultures.

We'd rather sit with non hired help, ask each other "when did you get in to port" and say "man them flushes on the toilet are strong" and compare each other's exotic tales of Family Night At Red Lobster

To return to the original premise: I think the reason that many passengers are so impressed with the staff/crew of a cruiseship is due to the lure and romance of the sea. The same people would not feel that way about the pilot and/or crew on a plane, nor the general manager and staff of a hotel. The only thing that comes close (to my mind) would be the GO's at a ClubMed. (am I dating myself????)

Yeah, we don't want to eat with a bunch of people, from all different backgrounds, who have done quite well for themselves in the unique industry of cruising.

We have no interest in their life experiences, observations of various peoples and cultures.

We'd rather sit with non hired help, ask each other "when did you get in to port" and say "man them flushes on the toilet are strong" and compare each other's exotic tales of Family Night At Red Lobster

You have quite a low opinion of cruisers!

My wife and i sailed on the eclipse twice this year. On our med cruise we were waiting to bre allocated a table in Blu,when we heard someone behind us. We turned round, and it was the Captain with another officer. We did ask him who was steering the ship,and he stated it was all under control in a jokey manner. He saw the funny side of my comment. So the officers do dine in Blu. This was a great cruise, and we loved Blu.

My wife and i sailed on the eclipse twice this year. On our med cruise we were waiting to bre allocated a table in Blu,when we heard someone behind us. We turned round, and it was the Captain with another officer. We did ask him who was steering the ship,and he stated it was all under control in a jokey manner. He saw the funny side of my comment. So the officers do dine in Blu. This was a great cruise, and we loved Blu.

What you describe may very well have been the trigger for inplementing the policy. The observation that started this tread was made on an Eclipse Caribbean sailing this December. The officer(I don't give names to protect the innocent) was one of the people who are introduced during the Captain's welcome.

gisnred....

Hardly a low opinion of cruisers. My description was hardly a pejorative to all cruisers. Just cruisers who feel they are above eating with officers because officers are "hired help".

Certainly all of us cruisers and people have life experiences. But, if you took a survey...odds are that officers in the cruise industry have more diverse and unique RECENT experiences, than the average cruiser from Virginia or Kansas.

It's possible that last week, officer XYZ might have chatted with Greek citizens, regarding the nation's recent austerity measures and ensuing protests. Or an officer might have had dinner with folks from Russia, and gleaned a local, non media filtered flavor of what people think about Vladmir Putin's slow yet deliberate moves to consolidate certain powers and map his comeback to office.

Or, cruisers could sit with JediKnight, and hear about the recent hockey game I went to, and how my snorkeling excursion was.

I'm not demeaning either.

Just saying that not only is it snobbery (in my OPINION) for people not to want to dine with officers, but it might also be their own loss.

To each his own. I am just expressing an opinion.

gisnred....

Hardly a low opinion of cruisers. My description was hardly a pejorative to all cruisers. Just cruisers who feel they are above eating with officers because officers are "hired help".

Certainly all of us cruisers and people have life experiences. But, if you took a survey...odds are that officers in the cruise industry have more diverse and unique RECENT experiences, than the average cruiser from Virginia or Kansas.

It's possible that last week, officer XYZ might have chatted with Greek citizens, regarding the nation's recent austerity measures and ensuing protests. Or an officer might have had dinner with folks from Russia, and gleaned a local, non media filtered flavor of what people think about Vladmir Putin's slow yet deliberate moves to consolidate certain powers and map his comeback to office.

Or, cruisers could sit with JediKnight, and hear about the recent hockey game I went to, and how my snorkeling excursion was.

I'm not demeaning either.

Just saying that not only is it snobbery (in my OPINION) for people not to want to dine with officers, but it might also be their own loss.

To each his own. I am just expressing an opinion.

The truth of the matter is that it's all a matter of luck. Some officers are more interesting than others. Similarly, some cruisers are more interesting than others. And, to add to the mix, we each relate differently to the same people.

Bottom line: it is your vacation. You decide with whom you wish to eat.

When we go to a new restaurant, we look at a few things: if it's crowded, and if locals eat there. We ate at a specialty rest. on RCCL, and about 8 of the ship's officers ate there. I had absolutely no problem with that. Those poor waitpeople ran around for the officers to please them and treated them like gold.

That could be one reason why there's a policy against it. If the wait staff gives special attention to officers dining in their area, that might mean service to passengers suffers.

I have heard this many times regarding the restaurant & lounge presence of staff/officers. It has certainly seemed to be the case on every Celebrity cruise we've been on since we started cruising with them in 1998.

I can cite many, many instances where we've had coffee in the coffeeshop alongside various officers and/or the Captain; instances where we've dined near officer groups in specialty venues; and times where officers gather in groups in the main dance lounge to socialize with one another and enjoy drinks.

We would NEVER think of these folk as "hired help." Like Lsimon I am highly honored when any official of any rank from the ship stops to chat or acknowledges me in some way. It shows me they are real people who do genuinely value the presence of the cruise line's "guests."

Yes, we have dined at the Captain's Table and while it was a wonderful, memorable, never-to-be-forgotten experience, it was a self-aggrandizing, incessantly vocal tablemate that put the only damper on the experience. The ship's officer on the other hand could not have been more pleasant, gracious and delightful dinner company.

CM

I sailed on the Summit in May of this year. I sat aboout two tables away from the Captain's table. After a very lengthy dinner the group of about 8 or 10 got up walked by my table and a disgusting woman threw her napkin on MY TABLE!!!!!!! The hawk- eyed staff in the dinning room practically threw themselves accross the dining room to retrieve the napkin off my table....and profusely appologized for the woman........

After seeing that "class act" I realized I was probably better off not being invited to the Captain's table....... just blows your mind how some people act and the self important or self aggrandizing passengers that you may be subjected to in order to dine at the Captain's table may make the experience not worth it.......

I see officers and other members of the crew sitting with passengers eating in both specialty and main dining rooms...... there is no policy against "mingling" with guests....romantic relationships are not permitted but "mingling" is very common and from what I observe it is encouraged.

If true, the story posted by the OP is indicative of the residual snobbery that still exists in cruising stemming from the old elitist days of different classes in society. In western society we're pretty much past that (except in cruising apparently). I know I'm opening up a can of worms here (yikes!), but here goes: it's a slippery slope from things like dress codes, formal nights, etc to the snobbery of not wanting to eat with the hired help. Or even that there are classes of hired help (Officers are ok, but not cleaning staff??). Think about it, sure people like dressing up and pretending to be royalty, but bottom line is that a formal implies a dress code which implies a certain economic class which ensures the "fiff raff" won't be able to mingle with their "superiors". Ok, a bit harsh and I realize there are lots of people that like to acknowledge and respect special occassions with nice dress and formality and that's why they like formals, but there still is a snobbery factor at play for some.

Archived