Don't force me to eat with the hired help

Orator

I sailed on the Summit in May of this year. I sat aboout two tables away from the Captain's table. After a very lengthy dinner the group of about 8 or 10 got up walked by my table and a disgusting woman threw her napkin on MY TABLE!!!!!!! The hawk- eyed staff in the dinning room practically threw themselves accross the dining room to retrieve the napkin off my table....and profusely appologized for the woman........

After seeing that "class act" I realized I was probably better off not being invited to the Captain's table....... just blows your mind how some people act and the self important or self aggrandizing passengers that you may be subjected to in order to dine at the Captain's table may make the experience not worth it.......

I see officers and other members of the crew sitting with passengers eating in both specialty and main dining rooms...... there is no policy against "mingling" with guests....romantic relationships are not permitted but "mingling" is very common and from what I observe it is encouraged.

OMG! I can't believe what that woman did. WHAT WAS SHE THINKING???? Maybe Alzheimers is setting in? It really is not normal. It is not the type of thing a person with an inflated ego would do. Something is wrong somewhere. But, for you to be at the receiving end of this behavior, you must have been aghast.

The truth of the matter is that it's all a matter of luck. Some officers are more interesting than others. Similarly' date=' some cruisers are more interesting than others. And, to add to the mix, we each relate differently to the same people.

Bottom line: it [i']is your vacation. You decide with whom you wish to eat.[/i]

Can'tstopcruising, I agree with you completely :)

I thought of a few other examples of "hired help":

Would you turn down an invitation to visit, or dine, with the President of the United States, or perhaps the Prime Minister of the UK, since they are "hired help"? How about the Mayor of your town or the Governor of your state? You might not always agree with their policies but you'd probably enjoy the chance to chat a bit.

Do you own stock in any companies, either directly or through your 401K or pension plan? If so would you turn down an invitation from the CEO of one of those companies? They're "just" the hired help after all.

Who's you're favorite musician? Maybe it's James Taylor, maybe Yo-Yo Ma, the conductor of your local symphony or a another famous artist. If you were at one of their concerts and ran into them and they asked you to join them for a drink after the concert would your refuse because, after all, they are just the hired help?

Of course I can go on and on and think of lots of examples of "hired help' I admire and respect and would love to sit down and enjoy some conversation with over a drink or a meal. My biggest problem with doing so would likely be that I'd be a bit intimidated and might be a bit speechless but I'd never look down on them as the "hired help".

Well said Larry.

OMG! I can't believe what that woman did. WHAT WAS SHE THINKING???? Maybe Alzheimers is setting in? It really is not normal. It is not the type of thing a person with an inflated ego would do. Something is wrong somewhere. But' date=' for you to be at the receiving end of this behavior, you must have been aghast.[/quote']

Yes...I was.....if I had it to do over I would probably chase her down with it yelling...... "Excuse me I think you dropped this on my table!!!!" The Maitre D' saw and appologized and the food and beverage manager and hotel director heard about it...they made sure I felt special and made some fuss over me after that.....

But I just can't believe anyone would do that.....I guess she felt I was "the hired help" because I didn't sit at the Captain's table...or that I wanted her used napkin......... not a good memory from that cruise........but that was the only rough patch.....:)

I think I might have just had a good laugh about it. A ridiculous thing to do, but it probably had something to do with too much wine at dinner.

I'm sure most of the people we've met cruising enjoy people from all walks of life, including the staff and crew of the ship. There are always going to be a few on either end of the spectrum who are prejudiced enough to believe that they are either too good or not good enough to mingle, but most people are just nice decent folks who don't worry about it one way or the other.

Yes...I was.....if I had it to do over I would probably chase her down with it yelling...... "Excuse me I think you dropped this on my table!!!!" The Maitre D' saw and appologized and the food and beverage manager and hotel director heard about it...they made sure I felt special and made some fuss over me after that.....

But I just can't believe anyone would do that.....I guess she felt I was "the hired help" because I didn't sit at the Captain's table...or that I wanted her used napkin......... not a good memory from that cruise........but that was the only rough patch.....:)

Naw! I doubt she even thought about you. Maybe, as Ma said, she was very drunk. I don't think it was anything personal and it certainly wasn't rational. At least the crew spoiled you a bit afterward, so maybe it was worth it!!!!!

PS I do hope her napkin wasn't too dirty!!!!!

We dined with a kids' club childcare provider five years ago on Constellation. We didn't have a child at that time. The childcare provider was a lovely young British woman, a teacher by training, who was working on the ship as a way to travel. She was dining for one night in the MDR because she had family members aboard visiting. She and her family were amazing people, and she was so dedicated to her job in the kids' club. Now that we have a child, we're booked on X again, and it gives us great comfort to remember what a high-quality person the cruise line chose to work with the kids!

I am not sure I understand either side of this discussion. I would never mind sitting with anyone on a cruise, from captain to maintaince man.....I bet they all have great stories and life experience to tell. I'd actually prefer sitting with one of the wait staff then the lady who threw her napkin with her nose up in the air.

At the same time I never got the thrill or expectations some express over dining at the Captains table and wonder if they would get as excited if they sat with their local bus driver. It's all good I guess.....

jediknight

gisnred....

Hardly a low opinion of cruisers. My description was hardly a pejorative to all cruisers. Just cruisers who feel they are above eating with officers because officers are "hired help".

Thus (my underline) the thrust of my jest - which, however, was not directed at your comment. Got your point the first time around. The attempt at fun was directed at:

You have quite a low opinion of cruisers!

Sorry you misconstrued, JEDIKNIGHT, or (worse yet) didn't think it funny. In my defense, I can only point out that I did use a "smiley". Poor excuse, I know.

Let me tell you a story:

A couple of months ago, I was the Captain on a flight to Tel Aviv. In Business was a man who's wife didn't wear her seatbelt before departure. The Purser approached them and asked the lady to fasten her seatbelt.

This is what happened:

Purser: Madam, can you please fasten your seatbelt for take-off?

no reaction

Purser: Madam, please fasten your seatbelt. Attacher votre ceinture s'il vous plait, Maak uw stoelriem vast aub.

no reaction

Purser now signs to the belt and gestures and says: Fasten your belt for your safety madam!

no reaction.

Husband: My wife does not speak to servants. and you do not tell her what to do.

Purser came to me, I went to the passengers involved and removed them from my aircraft for obstructing orders by the crew. They might have not wanted to talk with the "servant", but sure as hell neither would they be guest anymore onboard my aircraft. They accused me of the usual Antisemitic nonsence, but alas, out they went and I'm sure they won't be so rude ever again to the crew. People forget that crew onboard ship and aircraft have the safety as priority number one at all times. Onboard a cruiseship, the cleaner might well be the one saving your life incase of evacuation. Think about that.

Let me tell you a story:

A couple of months ago, I was the Captain on a flight to Tel Aviv. In Business was a man who's wife didn't wear her seatbelt before departure. The Purser approached them and asked the lady to fasten her seatbelt.

This is what happened:

no reaction

Purser: Madam, please fasten your seatbelt. Attacher votre ceinture s'il vous plait, Maak uw stoelriem vast aub.

no reaction

Purser now signs to the belt and gestures and says: Fasten your belt for your safety madam!

no reaction.

Husband: My wife does not speak to servants. and you do not tell her what to do.

Purser came to me, I went to the passengers involved and removed them from my aircraft for obstructing orders by the crew. They might have not wanted to talk with the "servant", but sure as hell neither would they be guest anymore onboard my aircraft. They accused me of the usual Antisemitic nonsence, but alas, out they went and I'm sure they won't be so rude ever again to the crew. People forget that crew onboard ship and aircraft have the safety as priority number one at all times. Onboard a cruiseship, the cleaner might well be the one saving your life incase of evacuation. Think about that.

BRAVO !!!

My DH is a pvt pilot. It is always fascinating to me the number of people who treat FAs as servants. The very first Stewardesses in the US were REQUIRED to be nurses-in case of emergency/air sickness etc. Everyone out there the flight crew is there for your safety. If anything happened becuase you didn't stow a bag properly or refused to fasten your seatbelt you would be the first to sue. Let's start to take some personal responsibility for our own actions.

Happy Holidays

Carole

Let me tell you a story:

This is what happened:

no reaction

no reaction

no reaction.

No truer words said. Thank you for sharing the incident with us. Respect those responsible for your well being.

Have been on the Century three times and each time have been invited to the Captain's table.

Was on the Constellation on 4th December 2010. Several times at lunch there were officers and other staff in the queue for food and sat at tables near us.

Spoke to the Head chef in the MDR one evening.

We have not been in a suite or Aqua stateroom so do not have any special entitlement

Archived