Navigator of the Seas

We just got back from a 5 day on the Navigator. The ship seemed in fine shape to me, but i was really to0 busy to notice much (sailing with 7 grandchildren). We had a balcony and an OV family suite--the latter was fantastic for a large group.

On debarkation day I did try to notice any wear and tear and did notice a few stains on the hallway carpets. Our steward and waiters were fantastic. Most people dressed up for formal night. We did have lobster, and it was better and bigger than on most recent cruises, regardless of cruise line.

As usual, I think the Windjammer food could be greatly improved, especially as to variety. I also wish it was open longer hours.

We enjoyed the ship and the cruise.

Wow, sounds like you had alot of fun with all those grandchildren. Thanks for the update. We will be on the ship soon and are going with 10 friends. One mentioned it seems funny that you get lobster on formal night. That has to be one of the messiest things to eat. Is it just lobster tails or does everyone wear a bib over their formal wear?

Linda

Just did the 4 day, down to Cozumel - I was happy with just about everything. The food and service in the DR were just fine. I intended on doing a meal or two in the speciality restaurants but never felt the need after seeing how good the DR was. A little disappointment in the suite perks - I wouldn't pay that premium again. Granted, you got the extra real estate but past a reserved seating on the deck, there was nothing extra. The concierge lounge was too crowded and without windows. Even our attendant, who was a nice guy and who kept the ice buckets somewhat full was no more attentive than if you had any other class of cabin. I found the food in the Windjammer just fine. It's a lot better than the way people describe it. Not exceptional dining or anything but plenty of choices and just fine (except for the chafing dishes of scrambled eggs - not good at all). I loved the guy playing (Don I think his name was) the piano in the Schooner Bar - did Elton John and Billy Joel really well. As a musician myself, I was impressed with how accurately he did his repertoire, even playing an alto sax with one hand and the piano with the other (not to mention the foot bass). I will most certainly do this trip again just not in a suite.

Wow, sounds like you had alot of fun with all those grandchildren. Thanks for the update. We will be on the ship soon and are going with 10 friends. One mentioned it seems funny that you get lobster on formal night. That has to be one of the messiest things to eat. Is it just lobster tails or does everyone wear a bib over their formal wear?

Linda

It is lobster tail. They take it out of the shell for you (on our last cruise they actually cut it for me :eek: I was waiting for my mom to jump out some where :D). It is served as part of a seafood platter, with vegetables and shrimp. No bib needed.

On our 5-night cruise we had lobster on the 4th night, not on formal night, which was a nice surprise, as when we didn't have them on formal night, we thought we wouldn't be getting any.

They take them out of the shell for you, and they are not huge, so it wasn't any messier than other meals--which are all messy with so many kids anyway. They brought the kids huge chocolate milks in goblets every night; now that was messy!

We finally had to stop them from bringing a second round of chocolate milks because the kids got too full to eat dinner! Actually, by the time the children had bread, a couple of appetizers and the milk, some of them could barely eat anything else. But, they loved ordering off the grown-up menus, except for the youngest two who stuck pretty much to the kids' menu.

They also willingly brought multiple lobster tails to those who wanted them. We had the greatest waiters ever! We did My Time dining, but made reservations for 6 every night and always got the same table and waiters.

As usual, I think the Windjammer food could be greatly improved, especially as to variety. I also wish it was open longer hours.

That is my biggest problem with their ships - the Windjammer closes at 9 pm, which is just too early for my taste. And yes, the food could be improved there.

Glad to hear you liked your cabin overlooking the Royal Promenade. We will be leaving very soon for our first RC cruise and booked one of these cabins. We will be on deck 8. Our one concern is how noisy the RP is and if we could hear this up in our room. Glad to hear the ship is is good shape.

Linda

RP can be very noisy during the parades and 70's night, but the sound is muted in the cabins - you can hear it, but it's not loud. We thought the room was spacious considering this is technically an inside because the bay window has a seat that forms a L shaped seating area with the love seat and that is especially nice for relaxing. It's a fun spot for people watching.

Just received our cabin assignment for the March 31 sailing. We did the interior guarantee, knowing that we could be assigned the worst cabin on the ship, and I think we might have been :D We are in a category Q, the most forward interior on deck 7. We don't mind being forward (have been several times before, enjoy motion, no seasickness) don't mind the walk to the food venues, and are happy to be just fourteen cabins from the stairs/elevators. We've been in one other inside, earlier this month on the Celebrity Century; we decided then that insides would be fine for 4 days or less, just not on a major vacation such as the Oasis/Allure. I will be keeping an eye on the prices for higher categories, but would be happy to take the broom closet to get to go on a cruise - any cruise.

We went on the Navigator in February 2010 for the Superbowl last year and will be on the cruise again this year for the Superbowl (we'll be on the same sailing as you). Also sailed on the Navigator when it was a few years old, at the time, the largest cruise ship in the world. It's still a good ship. Showing its age in a couple places, but the crew keeps the ship clean and shiny. Most of the wear and tear I noticed was the carpeting and some of the cabinets in the staterooms not closing fully, etc. Food like on most RCI cruises is average to good.

The main thing on a cruise like this which is at sea the entire trip except for 10 hours in Cozumel is that you don't get a break from "crowds" like you do on cruise that have more port days. And since it's now showing that the ship is 100% booked this weekend, just be prepared for lines at the Windjammer, hunting for lounge chairs at the pool, etc.

Enjoy.

RP can be very noisy during the parades and 70's night, but the sound is muted in the cabins - you can hear it, but it's not loud. We thought the room was spacious considering this is technically an inside because the bay window has a seat that forms a L shaped seating area with the love seat and that is especially nice for relaxing. It's a fun spot for people watching.

Yeah - I am really looking forward to the bay window and window seat. Even though it is not a balcony, I think it will be really fun to watch things happening out the window. Now I wish it was a balcony overlooking the RP. We have some friends going on this cruise also and they have a balcony so we will have to do some balcony sitting with them.

Linda

Yeah - I am really looking forward to the bay window and window seat. Even though it is not a balcony, I think it will be really fun to watch things happening out the window. Now I wish it was a balcony overlooking the RP. We have some friends going on this cruise also and they have a balcony so we will have to do some balcony sitting with them.

Linda

Funny, because I chose this cabin over a balcony. Agree, it would have been fun if it was a balcony over the RP, but ever since this particular type of cabin was introduced, I have wanted to stay in one. Not sure I would want to do a longer cruise in a PV, but it was great for 7 nights and I would stay in one again if the price was right, which it was this time. I notice that frequently they are overpriced, IMHO.

[quote name='RedLightVegas']So I've managed to squeeze a 4 day cruise in on Navigator of the Seas before the big Allure OTS cruise in May.

Has anyone been on the ship recently? Is it in good shape?

We're going on the cheap, so we're doing a 4 day to Cozumel in an interior room. I've never done an interor guarantee before. We've always done balcony or oceanview rooms with Carnival and have an oceanview balcony booked on Allure OTS.[/QUOTE]
Leesha=
Hey, I actually just got off this morning! The Navigator went through an extensive overhaul in 2005 and is in fantastic condition!! The decor is venitian/italian in the
Solarium, and the promanade is great! Don't miss the opening day parade!

Archived