Water Temperatures

Potstech

Going on the Southern Carribean cruise from San Juan on January 30. Is there anyway to find out what the water temp in the various port are predicted to be or the actual temperature a few days before departure? Would help to know so I could decide if the water is warm enough to snorkel in or not. Thanks for any help on this.

The water in St Thomas last week was still warm but the water at Grand Turk was on the cool side & we only hung out on the beach. In Barbados the water felt pretty warm to me. On the ship the water was also on the cool side in the pools & not a lot of people were swimming even in the indoor pool on the Grand.

If you're in the Southern Caribbean, the waters will be nice, unless some really unusual weather happens. We were just there last week; I snorkeled in Dominica and Bonaire and was able to just walk into the water barely noticing the temperature. And I am a person who hates cold or even cool water. At a guess the water was at least 80. (shore snorkeling)

The Eastern and Western Caribbean routes the water is usually cooler, but ok after you get used to it, in Dec. and Jan.

Water at Princess Cays was quite cool; the water in the pools was downright frigid! I wish they'd warm it up a little bit.

Where are you from? That will make a difference! Being from the mid-atlantic/south, I won't swim unless the water temps are 80's or so... but folks from farther north seem to think the 50's are grand for swimming! All depends on what you're used to!

Personally, I don't get in the water until I'm too hot...if the temps in the sun don't make me sweat, I see no reason to get wet!

We are from Central Virginia so I am going to go with the snorkling option in some places. What the heck so I get a little cold. Beats the temps here at that time of year. Thanks for all the information about the temperatures.

Archived