Why do gay men like celebrity vs. Other lines?

Denman

Hey Ernie,

The Dream was our first CCL cruise so we can't really compare it to other classes. It was definitely a work in progress as we were on the ship in its third month of sailing (or something like that) and they were trying to figure out how to cope with the crowds. I don't think that it was a matter of the number of people so much as design that was not thought all the way through. For instance, they had really interesting options in the buffet like a mongolian grill and a pasta bar. The problem was, these offerings could only serve a few people at a time and so literally, the line could be 45-75 minutes. To make matters worse, they only operated these special things for a couple hours at lunch some days, which is hard to understand. You design something people like and then make it hard for them to enjoy. That's just unacceptable. The lead cruise director, in his blog, yammered on about all ships having lines but then all of a sudden (and luckily before we boarded) they addressed this. They started doing a bbq on the lido deck and a champagne brunch in the dining room to diffuse the crowd. The brunch was imaginative and tasty so we liked it. I pitied the people above the bbq on the lido because charcoal smoke would have wafted up to their rooms daily. Yuck!

Speaking of the rooms above the lido, if you go on the Dream, don't take the first deck or two above it because there is very little privacy. The lido sticks out very far, which makes for a nice wide walking space but also means those on their balconies for the first deck or two up will see the lido traffic as opposed to the ocean when they look down. We saw lots of people on the lido chatting with folk on those decks and I would hate that. Also, there are hot tubs on the lido and people always seem to talk loudly in them. To my mind, this is a bad design flaw.

We had a cove balcony, which is a balcony built into the ship, as opposed to out from it, on deck 2. It was great to be outside closer to the water and to be able to walk straight up to our room from excursions as opposed to waiting for crowded elevators. I liked it very much except that the balcony door was a traditional door and not sliding glass and lots of people let theirs slam, which got old fast. Still, it was a great novelty and I wish more lines had it.

The other area that got crowded, of course, was the pool deck. Actually, the main areas were much like any ship but the free adults-only area was a zoo. Some people "claimed" chairs with towels, which happens on all lines, and that led to some loud discussions and we saw two shoving matches/fights over chairs. Even taking chair wars out of the equation, this area simply wasn't large enough to cope with the demand for it.

I don't want to give the impression we didn't like the ship. I was just pointing out areas where the crowds or operations were lacking. We thought the shows were great fun. The service in the main dining room was also great and here's an example of how: our friends had sent us some wine but we were under the weather the first day or two (caught a bug at WDW) and so we skipped the MDR twice. The head waiter actually called to make sure it was not an issue with their service. That's very thoughtful. We also really enjoyed the activities on the ship and would look forward to doing them again.

We really enjoyed our CCL sailing and would do it again on a less busy ship. I thought the food was among the best we've had at sea and I didn't mind the decor.

Thank you for the report. Mind you I have no intention on booking Carnival anytime soon, but I was interested in your thoughts as I know you have a lot of cruise experience.

I think you made the right choice with the so-called "cove balconies". Cunard has had these for years on the QM2. I wondered how private those balconies above the promenade deck would be, and as I imagined they are not too private.

I agree about the food. Carnival has excellent food for a mass-market line. It can even be better than Cunard and Celebrity depending on the ship. Unfortunately that alone is not enough to lure me back to Carnival. I've basically outgrown the line. Also, they are not the bargain they used to be as you can sail on Princess, HAL, and Celebrity for the same cost (in many cases).

If you ever do decide to return to Carnival, try one of the Spirit Class ships. I think they are the best in the fleet in terms of space and layout. The CARNIVAL SPIRIT and PRIDE are my two favorite Carnival ships. The DREAM is based off the Destiny Class which I think has a very poor layout and passenger flow. The most crowded feeling ship I have ever sailed was CARNIVAL CONQUEST. Not an experience I want to repeat.

Happy cruising!

Ernie

Thanks Ernie for the wonderful pics. I scrolled though all of 'em. When did you get time for yourself?

I'm glad you enjoyed the pics. I actually take the pictures very quickly. I'm not one to carry a camera around with me. I usually take about one hour to an hour and a half on a port day to quickly photograph all the ship's public areas. Sometimes I will will take them late at night as well, when most people are sleeping. Either way, it goes quick.

Ernie

I'm just back from a 14 Caribbean cruise on Grand Princess. There were 15-20 gay men, and a few females as well. While docked at St Kitts, we were just across the narrow pier from Celebrity Millenium, and there were alot of gay men on balconies and up on the top side deck; many more than on our ship. Here in my home town, we get Alaskan cruise ships in all summer, and indeed there always seems to be more gays on Celebrity. I've sailed them just twice, and that was some years back and found the product very good. Because of free laundry, minibar and the free internet, I've stuck mainly with Prncess; I guess they have their hooks into me!!

Two or three cruises ago we were on a transatlantic, sponsored by Pied Piper. There was a gay deaf couple onboard and although not a part of our Pied Piper group we got to know them at the nightly FOD meetings.

One of the the things that struck me was that Celebrity provided them with a sign language translator for any show they attended, or for any shore excursion they went on. I know it wasn't required that Celebrity do that, but was very impressed that they did.

Seen the same type of respect given to passengers in wheelchairs or with other disabilities, really admire that they show such respect to all of their passengers.

Presuming that all gays abhor christianity, or vice versa, is as lazy as presuming that one line exists that would please all gays. We're all different.

Yeah, but jamming aural Christianity in our ears from Hallowe'en till New Years doth not diversity respect. I was raised Jewish in a goyishe 'burb, feeling a total outcast during December, and am now an atheist. And frankly, I would rather not, when waiting in line at Walgreens to pick up my statins, be reminded by the Muzak that Christ our savior is born. But at least, unlike a ship, I can walk out of Walgreens. If there's gonna be seasonal music wafted to everyone onboard, keep it secular.

To me, there's very little difference between Christian hegemony and het hegemony. When some 'phobe says, "You don't see us straights flaunting our sexuality," I can only, gape-mouthed, think Really? Likewise, devoting a full sixth of the year to insistently, publicly flaunting the Christian myth can be pretty damn irritating to those of us who opt out.

Does it make me a Grinch to object ? Well, I can just imagine the hoo-hah if Celebrity, during Ramadan, broadcast the call to prayer six times a day over the loudspeaker system. And I strongly suspect that if, onboard, I wore my T-shirt questioning the divinity of Jesus, I'd be politely asked by staff to change. But if I wore a "Christ is the Only Way to Heaven" shirt, no.

I like Celebrity because the ships are of a style that does not get old quickly. They are stylish, but not formal.

Now Princess...I love the crew. The ships are OK but the interiors are the same on all their vessels which I feel is boring. If I could put Princess crew and staff on a Celebrity ships......fab-u-lous.

I've only been on one Celebrity ship - the Mercury - and am headed on my fourth Princess cruise in a couple of weeks, and to some extent I agree with you. My memory of the Mercury is that it was sleek and stylish, making Princess seem kinda bland. But truth to tell, I've come to like the feeling that many Princess regulars describe as "coming home," and the predictability of the decor is, I think, part of that. I read somewhere that the Princess philosophy is to keep the look traditional, not easily dated, and thus the sameness.

Meanwhile, I just looked at my photos of the Mercury for the first time in quite a while, and was surprised at how unimpressed I was. Now, I know the newer ships are more fab - when I see photos of the Solstice class, I get moist - but the Mercury looks like something Heidi Klum would deride as yesterday's fashion, kind of like an upscale airport lounge, albeit with much better art.

The Princesses I've been on have been "pretty" rather than "beautiful," while the Mercury now looks to me "interesting" rather than "pretty." But I've found both lines to be very gay friendly, and I'd choose Celebrity again in an instant if the itineraries suited my needs better, and if Princess didn't do such a good job bribing past passengers to stay with them.

Been an interesting thread. I guess so much is the variables in any particular cruise. What I've noticed is so much depends on the Hotel Director, he can make or break a good cruise on any cruise line. The fixures, lighting, decor, food, entertainment, etc really don't vary much from most cruise lines (OK maybe the extremes do like Carnival and Crystal, but others are all in the same categories I think).

Some HD run the ships with attention to detail and that will make or break a cruise as that attention to detail runs downhill. I guess that what keeps me returning to Celebrity, the attention to detail, and that knowing for that week or two, they'll make me feel a lot more important than I really am.:D

Hi Denmen,

I and my partner sailed on Celebrity Summit with Pied Piper travel. Our group of 50 - 60 gay men and women felt very comfortable on the ship. On our dailies F.O.D. meetings were listed. There were about 10 - 15 'family' members traveling outside of our group and we welcomed them in to our gatherings.

My partner and I enjoy Celebrity for the quiet, adult atmosphere. Despite our love for Disney and theme parks you'd think we'd gravitate towards Carnival or Disney lines. But we need sanity at sea and not a ship full of sugar-shocked tots.

Greetings...

We were looking at Pied Piper Feb. 2012 cruise on the Summit to the Southern Caribbean.

We have sailed before with Pied Piper but not on Celebrity, it was on the Serenade RCCL.

Thinking of a CC balcony, it seems there are three categories any thoughts would be great.

Just got a new job so 2012 would be our first chance for a cruise, so just planning ahead.

Thanks..

Wolf

Yeah, but jamming aural Christianity in our ears from Hallowe'en till New Years doth not diversity respect.

Diversity doesn't mean eliminating everything that will offend someone. If that were true, there would be no menorahs (which most ships have at Hannukak), Friends of Dorothy or Red Hats (those ladies freak me out). Diversity is about making sure everyone IS included.

If I had your issues about the holidays, I would not choose to travel to a resort or on a cruise at Christmas. You must have been miserable. Even in Vegas, there is Christmas music everywhere at Christmas.

(Hiding Red Hat....)

:D

You bring up good points about diversity....

The OP asking why gay people like Celebrity is like asking why blonds like Marriott....

Some do, and some don't....

I have gay friends who swear by Carnival and frankly don't have that good a time on any other line....

Seems like everyone has their favorites, and since we are different, we all are looking for different thinks when we travel....

I do have to agree with RMS about HAL....That was the same feeling we had from them as well....altho we would travel with them again if the opportunity presented itself....

Hmmm. The comparison I'd make is drinking wine (which I've done a bit ...even on cruise ships!) We generally serve wines to guests that cost "xx " amount, and find good value there, as we like enjoying fine wines when we entertain. That said, we have our favorite "Wednesday Night" wines that cost "x" and we enjoy those more often. Occasionally, we get some wine that costs "xxx " a d we really enjoy that, but on rare occasions. All is good value for us at the time.

We've sailed Crystal, Cunard, Celebrity and Princess (as well as other lines long gone) and Celebrity fits us best for the value- we cruise more often, but get less caviar,etc. We do take advantage of the specialty restaurants, and on our last cruise, only ate in the MDR once. Again, for us, good value.

But back to the wine analogy: have you ever been to a blind tasting where the "best" wine was the bargain brand, and the fancy wine bombed? It's all personal taste /palate.

But you'll never find me drinking two-buck Chuck, and you'll never find me on a ship where neon is the decorative motif. Just not my taste, so for me, it's not a good value. And at 48 y.o., I'm more like a typical HAL passenger, so wouldn't notice if the cruise line shut down at 11:00, let alone the wee hours of the morning. But 20 years ago on Crystal (Cruises!) I was out until sunrise ...

Go figure.

Andrew.

I am glad the lines are not all the same....although the differences are shrinking.

But in the end...its what you make of each experience, its the people you meet, the little moments you grasp.....looking at the stars, having a shrimp cocktail.....pretending to be a millionaire on a ship. When you consider how poor the rest of the world is......some without clean water.....being on a huge ship is LUXURY.

But in the end maybe it comes down to service, and how you feel from the moment you board till you disembark.....minus some of the tacky decor.

I like … being treated like a guest rather than just a customer

We recently completed our fifth Celebrity cruise and crossed to a new level beyond being a guest, we now feel as if we are part of the Celebrity family.

When we entered the dining room on a cruise a few months ago, we were recognized by an assistant waiter (female) from two years ago. She came over and gave us a hug and kiss on both cheeks. What an incredible feeling as other guests in the dining room stared at us with a quizzical look of “who are those celebrities”.

We have been fortunate to meet so many wonderful people on Celebrity ships, gay and straight, fellow passengers’ crew and staff. Some have become very dear friends, some we have traveled with multiple times, others we will be traveling together in the future; all of this in two years, five cruises and 56 days on Celebrity ships.

This is why we like Celebrity.

We recently completed our fifth Celebrity cruise and crossed to a new level beyond being a guest, we now feel as if we are part of the Celebrity family.

When we entered the dining room on a cruise a few months ago, we were recognized by an assistant waiter (female) from two years ago. She came over and gave us a hug and kiss on both cheeks. What an incredible feeling as other guests in the dining room stared at us with a quizzical look of “who are those celebrities”.

We have been fortunate to meet so many wonderful people on Celebrity ships, gay and straight, fellow passengers’ crew and staff. Some have become very dear friends, some we have traveled with multiple times, others we will be traveling together in the future; all of this in two years, five cruises and 56 days on Celebrity ships.

This is why we like Celebrity.

We have to agree. We are going on the Century for the 4th time in less than two weeks. We have also been on the Solstice, Galaxy and Infinity. We love them all.

Cruiseguysusa looks like you guys are doing the B2B on the Infinity Feb. 26th 2012? We are too. To celebrate our 25th anniversary. We'll look forward to meeting other FOD on board.

Sorry, my intention was not to push any buttons around religion, but I stick by my stance that it is inappropriate for a supposedly international cruise line to promote religion on board its vessels. And, I have never seen a bible in the staterooms of any of the other 9 ships I've sailed, including Princess, HAL, Carnival, Royal Caribbean and Norwegian. I just found it rather odd, that's all. It certainly didn't keep me from enjoying the cruise. As for the declining food quality, I personally think it has most to do with our unwillingness to pay more for better quality, especially in this economy. We are all so proud of getting ridiculously low fares, and then we (including myself) wonder why the food quality has diminished substantially.

EVERY HAL cabin has a bible in it. You aren't required to read it. I don't.

Diversity doesn't mean eliminating everything that will offend someone. If that were true, there would be no menorahs (which most ships have at Hannukak), Friends of Dorothy or Red Hats (those ladies freak me out). Diversity is about making sure everyone IS included.

Yes, but...

First off, Hanukkah is a fairly minor Jewish holiday (like Xmas, an appropriation of "pagan" solstice celebrations) elevated to major status as a consolation prize. So having a token menorah or two somewhere is hardly equivalent to having a whole ship done up for, let's face it, Christmas...and, as the OP's objections, broadcasting thoroughly religious music.

A more meaningful parallel would be if, during Jewish High Holidays, the atrium was done up with giant Jewish stars and Hebrew liturgical music was played over the PA system. Or, for that matter, if during Stonewall Week on a non-gay cruise, giant rainbow flags were unfurled in the atrium and the PA played Pansy Division. Ain't gonna happen. (Though "Y-M-C-A" has taken on the status of a shipboard favorite, proving how The Gay Agenda's propagandistic celebration of locker room naughtiness has stealth-poisoned upright American culture. ;) )

I do understand that I live in a majority-Christian culture. But, to go back to my statins, I find it fine for Walgreens to play "Sleigh Ride" and "White Christmas," less so to subject me to "O Holy Night" and "Away in a Manger," when all I want is to pick up meds. And no, during Hanukkah I didn't hear "The Dreidel Song" at the drugstore.

Hegemony means that the members of a dominant group may not even realize how unequal things are. Most straights don't understand how thoroughly heterosexuality-flaunting the society really is. And from the end of October through Christmas, well-meaning Christians have no qualms about expecting all of us—Jewish, Hindu, and atheist alike—to be filled with The Christmas Spirit.

Yes, but...

First off, Hanukkah is a fairly minor Jewish holiday (like Xmas, an appropriation of "pagan" solstice celebrations) elevated to major status as a consolation prize. So having a token menorah or two somewhere is hardly equivalent to having a whole ship done up for, let's face it, Christmas...and, as the OP's objections, broadcasting thoroughly religious music.

A more meaningful parallel would be if, during Jewish High Holidays, the atrium was done up with giant Jewish stars and Hebrew liturgical music was played over the PA system. Or, for that matter, if during Stonewall Week on a non-gay cruise, giant rainbow flags were unfurled in the atrium and the PA played Pansy Division. Ain't gonna happen. (Though "Y-M-C-A" has taken on the status of a shipboard favorite, proving how The Gay Agenda's propagandistic celebration of locker room naughtiness has stealth-poisoned upright American culture. ;) )

I do understand that I live in a majority-Christian culture. But, to go back to my statins, I find it fine for Walgreens to play "Sleigh Ride" and "White Christmas," less so to subject me to "O Holy Night" and "Away in a Manger," when all I want is to pick up meds. And no, during Hanukkah I didn't hear "The Dreidel Song" at the drugstore.

Hegemony means that the members of a dominant group may not even realize how unequal things are. Most straights don't understand how thoroughly heterosexuality-flaunting the society really is. And from the end of October through Christmas, well-meaning Christians have no qualms about expecting all of us—Jewish, Hindu, and atheist alike—to be filled with The Christmas Spirit.

Seriously, why would you sail during the holidays?

I give up, you win. All those who sail as part of their holiday celebration are awful people out to kill your spirit. Congratulations at conceiving a world where anyone who disagrees with you is an oppressive member of the majority.

p.s. If you don't hear the dreidel song, why not ask why instead of complaining about what you do hear?

p.s. Stonewall Week? Never heard of it. I've heard of the Stonewall riots but Stonewall Week?

You know what Shepp, I didn't post my original remark to start an argument. It just seems to be that there is a presumption on this board that all gay men are anti-christian and that all of christianity is against gay people. I was trying to point out that neither is true. I have no need or hope of carrying on a long debate about it.

Happy New Year.

I give up, you win. All those who sail as part of their holiday celebration are awful people out to kill your spirit. Congratulations at conceiving a world where anyone who disagrees with you is an oppressive member of the majority.

p.s. Stonewall Week? Never heard of it. I've heard of the Stonewall riots but Stonewall Week?

Well, I do wish you wouldn't take this so personally. (And I wish you wouldn't put words in my mouth.) I wasn't trying to "win," merely amplifying the OP's point about not wanting to hear religious Christian music broadcast on his cruise, as well as responding to other posters who'd said, basically, "Suck it up."

I'm sorry if you took it otherwise. And sorry to do my part in keeping this thread veering OT.

Oh, in answer to your question: "Stonewall Week" doesn't actually officially exist, but I kind of made it up. But I'd say that the last week in June, which is when the riots took place and when a number of major Pride celebrations are scheduled, pretty well fits the bill.

Happy New Year.

Meanwhile, I just looked at my photos of the Mercury for the first time in quite a while, and was surprised at how unimpressed I was. Now, I know the newer ships are more fab - when I see photos of the Solstice class, I get moist - but the Mercury looks like something Heidi Klum would deride as yesterday's fashion, kind of like an upscale airport lounge, albeit with much better art.

Ow, just twist the knife in while you are at it LOL................ seriously, it's a bit of an apples and oranges comparison between the 'ancient' Mercury and the new Solstice class...... I have sailed twice on Mercury and it is showing its age but then it is about to be pensioned off out of the Celebrity fleet - I think it will be ending its days in the german subsidiary of RCCL along with its sister ship (Galaxy) that we spotted under the name 'Mein Schiff'. One advantage of Mercury was its size - slightly smaller and certainly more intimate than the ever increasing passenger barges now coming online. At least the older ships have some character compared (for example) to the hideously ugly NCL Epic Condo of the Seas.

I just love the bible and Christmas music conspiracy theories. Seriously though, its been a good discussion, made me think about why I like Celebrity compared to HAL, Princess, and Cunard (Never sailed on NCL so really can't compare them), and what they can do better. I'm leaving January 30th for a 7 day Caribbean, it will be the first str8 cruise (I usually like the Pied Piper gay group cruises) I've done in a while. Thanks for a good discussion, its always good never to take things for granted and offer constructive criticism to any of the lines, since its like hotel shopping, they all have pluses and minuses, and so much is the way we perceive them, whether right or wrong.

We like Celebrity and HAL, but our favorite cruise line is Princess. We don't book a particular cruise because of the number of other gays and lesbians that will be on it, but we have enjoyed meeting folks. The best meetings have been on HAL and Princess ships, probably because they were organized and publicized. But a lot of times, the members of the group will decide to ignore the publicized events and start meetings when and where they want.

have only sailed celebrity once and that was about 8 yrs ago. needless to say have not been back as they were not my favorite..my complaint was the attitude of the passengers . 2000 people with their noses in the air drinking martinis..maybe that has changed...As far as mainstream lines i have one friend i travel with who insists on carnival and we always have a great time on them and find them pretty gay friendly...another friend i travel with loves ncl and we find them to be Very gay friendly..My favorite is MSC and i find them to be extremely gay friendly and a great low cost for what you get cruisline..i would like to try a solstice class ship at some point as they look beautiful but from what i hear i can get the same feel as MSC's splendida and Fantastica are pretty much same size and design..but as stated it has been about 8 yrs and at some point would like to give celebrity another try.:cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Funny, one of my 'complaints' about Celebrity would be that there aren't enough of the "martini drinking" crowd!:D Although the Martini bar would then be too crowded. :rolleyes:

I find it hard to believe that 2000 people had their noses up in the air. Could it simply be that a.) you found the line too formal (formal doesn't equal stiff or 'snobby') or that b.) you committed the sin of "fundamental attribution error?" (enough with the ten dollar terms!) This simlpy means that you might have been on a ship with a few groups of people: 600 people who were just quiet people so they didn't speak much to you...or anyone else. I'm always amazed when folks cruise who don't do it for the social aspect, but that's their right. 700 people who aren't partiers, and really were only there for lectures, bingo, and those dreadful wordgame/battle of the sexes activities, who never go to the bars and casinos, but always sit in the dark theatres for the shows...again, not my thing, not very social (for me) but would probably mean that I'm already up to 1300 people on the ship that I won't socialize with, if for no other reason than logistics. Then you have the cranks. Let's say there are 400 of those. Could be any age group, from any background, but they are on EVERY ship. No matter how good the trip, these folks fall into two categories: those who enjoy complaining about everything as it is, and those who compare it to some other trip unfavorably. So now I'm down to 300 potential 'friends' on the ship. Half of those have the 'other' seating, so schedule means I don't run into them often to connect, some folks have things going on like reunions or other group stuff that means they're not interested in talking to outsiders. And then there are those who are not comfortable with suave, debonaire, stunningly attractive and socially outgoing gay men like....well, or just not comfortable with me...;)

One of the things I like about Celebrity is that it's not all about being offered entertainment, although that's there if you want, but that it's a great enviroment for those of us who really enjoy socializing, and are fairly outgoing, to connect with maybe five or ten other couples/singles during the course of a trip, and have some fun, whether enjoying Martinis (no rule says you can't have a Rum and Coke in the Martini Bar) or the specialty restaurants (worth the extra in my book, but maybe not to you)

Actually, I don't claim this just for Celebrity. I've sailed on the high end (Crystal, Cunard in the Grill class), Celebrity, Princess in the bowels of the ship- an older ship that was a real tub, and cheap short cruises that were Party Central. In each case, I found some of each of the types described above: quiet types, game addicts, early diners, homophobes, and, yes, incredible snobs. Sometimes I have to admit that I did wonder what exactly these folks had to be snobby about...but that's because I'm a little bit of a snob myself. If we're honest, we all are...to some small extent. Easier to be around people like us...or at least people who like us, and if they don't, we sometimes ascribe characteristics to them because we want to characterize them as 'something,' and that's a little snobby of us.

Enough of the pop psychology. There are people who feel about each of the lines I've sailed on as I do about Celebrity, and more power to them. Makes for better fares for me, sand shorter lines when I want a bagel and lox in the buffet!

(Now, to a rousing rendition of Kumbayah-except if you object to the underlying religious message) I just really hope that if someone likes to cruise, they find a line that fits them, their wants and desires, and their budget. It's what I look for, and have found in Celebrity.

Andrew

Archived