System Tool 2011 Infection

jim_m123

Yeah I got infected as well, I knew about booting my computer but after doing a scan nothing was found. I got Malwarebytes today and started the scan and two minutes later at least 3 infections where found. So into cleaning mode I go!!!

Protect yourself from banner ads with ad and flash blocker plug-ins for your browser.

Excellent advice. I use Firefox with the AdBlocker add-on. Love it!!!

My wife did manage to get this via Facebook over the weekend. Took a little while to fix it but no harm done.

Mike

I got it also....on Christmas Eve!!! Laptop with a co-worker now getting 'cleansed'!!! Others here had similar recently and said IT experts told them to NEVER click the red X in windows that pop up.... To use CTRL-F4!!! Many times clicking the X actually launches the crap!! That's how we got it... got a pop-up and clicked X!!!

My co-worker is using one of the previously recommended methods to fix mine!

Note to self....pick up a case of beer for friend!!!

I got it also....on Christmas Eve!!! Laptop with a co-worker now getting 'cleansed'!!! Others here had similar recently and said IT experts told them to NEVER click the red X in windows that pop up.... To use CTRL-F4!!! Many times clicking the X actually launches the crap!! That's how we got it... got a pop-up and clicked X!!!

My co-worker is using one of the previously recommended methods to fix mine!

Note to self....pick up a case of beer for friend!!!

Fixing co-workers computers is a great way to stay stocked up with beer and Seagram's 7! I haven't had to buy liquor for quite awhile! :D

Mike

Not me, but I pretty much block everything.

You can download a free copy of malwarebytes to check for remnants.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

I love malwarebytes, I made my old work run it on all the computers and it helped. I use mac so I didn't notice the virus. But last week there was a big news site ( can't think of which one) That had a infected add. It is all too common and too get the virus you need to do nothing but look at a page.

How will you know if you have it??

You will know that you have it when you see the Security Tools window pop-up telling you that you have multiple viruses and infections. Basically anything you try and open it will say is infected and shut it back down.

Thanks for posting this...I was wondering what was going on with my computer. I am not techie at all and neither is my husband. I am really worried about this...I will go back and read through the posts to see if I can figure out what to do. I think someone said they googled system tool 2011 and it gave them instructions. I don't back up my computer (pictures from all of our cruises, documents, etc) - I don't even know how to do this! I would love any suggestions...perhaps a site you can download to and pay a fee. I did run malware and things seem to be running better now...I haven't had the system tool 2011 box pop up anymore. Also, all of my pictures and files seem to be fine. Help! Thanks!!:confused:

Arizona cruisers, I got my instructions from this page:

http://deletemalware.blogspot.com/2010/10/how-to-remove-system-tool-uninstall.html

They start about 1/3 of the way down the page underneath the section that has a lot of registration codes. The first step will say something about restarting your computer in safe mode with networking. It's a very easy fix, it just takes a long time for it to scan. If I can do it myself, anyone can do it :) I'm not exactly computer savvy.

Thank you to all that posted how to fix this here on CC. Your tips worked like a charm and were FREE! And I'm not a techie, but was still able to follow along with the instructions from my fellow cruisers. Thank you all again.

(And yes, I did have updated spyware and virus protection on my computer. This little worm seems to be able to get around them easily. You definitely have to log on in Safe Mode for these new downloads to work.)

Good luck everyone!

I got the virus when I first logged in to CC. I likely tried to access a menu - either my quicklinks to subscribed threads, or the new threads dropdown - that is typically what I do when logging in. I did hover over the banner at the top (was distracted for a minute) before trying to navigate.

The virus starts with a Java script, which loads the malware. It is in the background at first, and does the damage before you even know it's working. Once it loads you can't use control_alt_delete to kill it, you can't run any spyware, etc - it blocks all of it. It allows you to use some internet sites, but gives you pop up's constantly telling you that you have a virus and need to take action.

:(

We had EXACTLY that happen to us about a year ago. It disgusted us so much......and we're not very experienced to begin with........so we threw away the laptop, and started up all over again on a new unit.

We previously were using Norton....which failed obviously.

New Laptop has been successfully protected by Zapersky...and fYI, often when going onto CC....I get a quick notice from Zapersky at bottom right indicating that they thwarted something. So yay ! Fingers crossed it never happens again.

Thanks for posting this. I haven't seen anything but I'm running Malwarebytes just in case. I use Google Chrome.

Has anyone been infected with Google Chrome during this outbreak? (just wondering how vigilant I should be - can't remember if I came on CC on Xmas)

Over the Christmas weekend I had two PC's (both running XP with current AVG virus software) infected with a malware program called System Tool 2011. The infection actually occurred while I was clicking-on and reading various Cruise Critic postings on the Carnival Board.

Anyone else had this happen to them recently??

It happened to me over the weekend on CC. I clicked on one of the roll-calls and my entire computer screen turned red and had this huge warning flashing across it and it was dead in the water even though I am running two reputable anti-virus programs!!! I'm so glad you said something because I just thought the timing was the luck of the draw...never occured that it was a "bad" CC virus!!

Gina

Thanks for posting this. I haven't seen anything but I'm running Malwarebytes just in case. I use Google Chrome.

Has anyone been infected with Google Chrome during this outbreak? (just wondering how vigilant I should be - can't remember if I came on CC on Xmas)

Just running a 3rd party browser may not be enough. Get plug-ins (browser add ons) that block flash, and JavaScript from running and (sorry CC ad blockers).

Not only would you be safer, but your overall web experience will be better.

We got it Sunday on the laptop. After Googling and researching it (via my desktop computer), I found a video on youtube with step by step (VERY EASY) instructions. We didn't have to do a system restore or any of that nonsense. We couldn't even boot up the laptop in safe mode OR open the task manager on the infected laptop until we renamed the executable file. Once we did that, we were able to delete the files with no problem. After that, we ran a scan and the computer came up clean. No issues since. Just Google "system tool 2011 removal" and watch the youtube video (by Jeri or something similar). Incidentally, I wasn't on CC Sunday but I was on Tripadvisor (sister site), so I'm wondering if they had the same issues over there.

:confused:Ok, for all the computer techie people out there. I've got the computer back (no blue screen of death and anti-virus software is working). But, I still see the "System Tool 2011" list under my programs. No popups but how do I get rid of that? Search and delete? Advice please (gotta save that money for my OB expenses in August!!)!

:confused:Ok, for all the computer techie people out there. I've got the computer back (no blue screen of death and anti-virus software is working). But, I still see the "System Tool 2011" list under my programs. No popups but how do I get rid of that? Search and delete? Advice please (gotta save that money for my OB expenses in August!!)!
Right click on it, go to properties and you'll see where the file is. Then find that file on your computer and delete it. If it's an executable file, you may need to change the name of the file (to anything) before it will let you delete it. You may need to reboot your computer after you change the name of the file, but if so, don't forget to go back and delete the file. If I remember correctly, there was a folder with two files in it. We were able to delete one, but had to change the name on the second one before we could delete that one. Also check your desktop to see if it left an icon (looks like a lock). If so, right click and delete that. Delete it all from your recycle bin, too. This is covered in the video on youtube that I mentioned above. It worked for us! One thing we also did (before we deleted the desktop icon) that wasn't mentioned in the video was to go to add/remove programs and remove it from there. That took it out of our program files, but left the icon on the desktop. We had to delete that manually.

Archived