System Tool 2011 Infection

jim_m123

Remember that your antivirus program is your LAST line of defense, not your first line of defense.

Make sure that your system is fully patched. Microsoft releases patches on the 2nd Tuesday of the Month. The bad guys disect these patches and release their malware on Wed. or Thurs. following the patch release. Make sure you get the patch Tuesday night or Wed. morning at the latest!

Other vendors have different patch cycles, so make sure all your software is up to date!

If you see a pop up...close it using the task manager (best option) or the x at the upper right on the screen (next best option). Never click on any button inside the window, even if it says close.

Keep your antivirus program up to date. If it's more than a few hours out of date, it's basically worthless. Again, this is you last line of defense, not your first line of defense.

What a mess - it popped up yesterday while surfing here. Got past McAfee and Ad-Aware, then blocked you from opening those programs. I burned malwarebytes onto a disk from the other computer and couldn't use that either. Finally found a great site that gave step by step instrucitons to get rid of it - not easy. I am very careful what I click on and open and hadn't done anything here except read posts and reply to one thread. The problem popped up when I replied. :(

I got the virus also and we have McAfee. I got the virus early on Christmas Day like 1:00 A.M and then again yesterday afternoon while I was on Cruise Critic. What was weird I saw a green blob and it said loading jave shortly after that I got the virus. We tried downloading malwarebytes but the virus wouldn't allow us. We ended up paying McAfee to rid of it for us.

Care to share that site vacruizer?

bleepingcomputer dot com

Had very easy to follow instructions. I thankfully have both a desktop and a laptop so I was able to take the infected laptop and set it up next to the desktop with the instructions and follow along.

It's a long and detailed process but it works to get rid of it.

I had even tried system restore and the virus blocked that, too. :mad:

I got it yesterday too. :( Took me a couple of hours to figure out what to do.

oh, and I was using Firefox browser, Windows XP, McAfee, and STILL got it.

I had to use system restore

and I was on CC when I got infected.

Neither of my computers have got it yet. I work at home for a large hospital, running their network on my computer, and was told by their IT department that Microsoft Security Essentials (which is free) is one of the best antivirus/malware protectors there is - including the pay for ones - I had McAfee and they requested I remove it and put on the Microsoft Security Essentials.

You are the 2nd person I have heard mention this Microsoft Security Essentials in the past couple of weeks. First person was a friend of my husbands who told me about it when I was complaining about out computer crashing a few weeks ago. Had McAfee loaded at the time and it caught nothing. Laptop spent a week in the shop. Still wasn't acting right so I ended just doing a System Restore on it last week.

He said McAfee is worthless and makes his computer come to a crawl when it was updating itself all the time. McAfee affects my desktop like that too. He now uses the Security Essentials. He loves it.

I am downloading the Security Essentials now and will take the McAfee off. Wonder if they'll refund any of my money since I just paid for a year this past August?? :confused:

I'm posting gingerly and holding my breath!!!

I used the F8 mode and System restore... I've never done that before... But it seems to be holding... I feel like the Dutch Boy must have felt when he stuck his finger in the dike... I'm squinting and worrying, but it's holding for now!!!

THANK YOU!!!

Whew!!!!

I am getting multiple FakeAV virus intrusion attempts when logging onto cruisecritic.com, from multiple computers. The only things in common are that I surf to cruisecritic and that all computers are protected with Norton.

The last site I reported a virus on to the web admin, I got banned. Go figure. I've got a feeling that website was deliberately infected (not cruisecritic).

Turns out I didnt have it. Malwarebytes thinks my games are a problem. One thing I deleted it found, didnt know what it was.

Im using foxfire, so maybe thats how I escaped this time.

Depending on the game, they can be. Some of the online game sites are loaded with spyware and malware. Have had problems with Pop Cap games in the past and one other site but can't remember the name right now.

I use only Firefox and got this nasty thing last night. I'm getting to be a pro though...this is my 3rd infection of this type in the last month or so. The first time I flipped out, the second time, I was really weary, and this time I just rolled my eyes and went to the other computer and googled "how to remove System Tool 2011" and had it gone in a matter of minutes. These rogue attacks are starting to piss me off.

Do yourselves a favor and download Firefox. Never go back to Internet Explorer again.

You can thank me later!

Avoid 95% of those types of issues.

I use SeaMonkey (like FireFox) as a browser & never got the rascal...

Bob

Over the Christmas weekend I had two PC's (both running XP with current AVG virus software) infected with a malware program called System Tool 2011. The infection actually occurred while I was clicking-on and reading various Cruise Critic postings on the Carnival Board.

Anyone else had this happen to them recently??

Early Christmas morning, I was browsing the CruiseCritic site, and "Mr. Norton" popped up to advise he'd clotheslined the infection, and that all was still clean. Thanks, Mr. N :) :)

Well, this solves the mystery of where this miserable little pesk originated. McAfee did not detect it, and, in fact, it disabled my McAfee! The system restore worked great, but the next day, I had gotten it again and had to repeat the process.

I hope the karma train runs over the evil genuis who created this mess!

Format your drive every other month.

I DO ,just because hackers luv to play.

Yes it's a pain, but you really don't have a choice.

Cruise Critic has been attacked several times over the years.

I'm sure it will be so again .

Archived