System Tool 2011 Infection

jim_m123

Thanks a bunch Mauraoel! I appreciate the info on AVAST! I used that program a few years ago and I can't remember why I changed to AVG. I'm sure other programs have also successfully detected and blocked the malware - but - tonight I'm absolutely going back to AVAST. ;)

Okay, I had to comment when I came across this thread! This happened to me also, it changed my background scene and everytime I tried to open anything or run my security programs it blocked it. I finally restarted into safemode and was able to run SpyBot to get rid of it. Now, I know where it came from..

Yep, we got it too. Our anti-virus stopped it once, but then let it through. My son was on here (CC), nothing else.

We too got rid of it by going into safe mode and running Malwarebytes. We always keep things up to date, but it still got through. Might have to consider purchasing Malwarebytes real time protection.

Sharon

WOW! Here I was thinking this was an isolated incident. My desktop computer was infected (laptops seem to be fine) on Christmas Day. System Tool 2011 was blocked twice before I got the balloon popup notifying me the system was infected and the infamous red letters on my desktop. It had to come from CC but I don't recall clicking on any links. I knew from the moment my computer slowed to a halt something was wrong. All the anti-virus malware detection software was disabled by the virus, so I immediately shut down the system and ran it in safe mode with networking. Went to search engine to "remove System Tool 2011" at this website. Downloaded the removal tool and ran it. It found 38 infections!!!!! Rebooted system afterwards.

Yesterday I spent over two hours running check disk utility to correct files deleted or corrupted by the virus and it has been fine since. The idiots who invent viruses need a good butt kicking!

I have gotten things like this in the past. However I now have a Firefox plugin called NoScript which blocks scripts on all pages unless you specifically authorized them. I believe it has caught several malicious scripts in the months I've had it.

The downside is that you have to manually authorize scripts for each website you trust.

I got infected on Christmas Day. My virus loaded some scanner and was telling me my hard drive had failed. It was prompting alerts from my task bar that LOOKED just like system alerts from Windows. It told me I needed to defrag my drive. I was freaking out thinking it was legit. But then I kept thinking this doesn't look right. I booted into safe mode and found the offending programs in my msconfig. My Microsoft Security Essentials didn't find it. I manually removed it and have been running fine. But I couldn't imagine how I caught anything. Never occurred to me I could catch something here. Now I am nervous. If I infect my work computer my boss will kill me. Guess I have to stay off this site from work now.

• Administrators
This happens often on this site for the ads' date=' and then we are told we should be protecting ourselves with up to date anti virus and spyware.[/quote']

Not usually my style or am I in the habit of disputing in public, but this does NOT happen "often" on this site. It happened once back in March 2010. Cruise Critic took steps to prevent this from happening on our end.

Same issue almost exactly, 9 months later -- only this time the ads were NOT being served up by Cruise Critic's ad server. That server obviously did not have the steps in place to prevent this from happening. We have been told that they WILL put those steps in place.

And yes, I'll say it again. Everyone SHOULD be protecting themselves. Those that did have proper protection, found they had NO issues with this at all.

Switching to another browser helps as well. Try FIREFOX.

Last year when CC got infected, our Norton 360 caught it before it got into our computer. Ditto for yesterday when CC was open in one of my tabs but I was not actually actively clicking things on CC and Norton caught it and blocked it. We had one computer last years running a different virus program (Trend Micro) - that came with the computer. It was the only computer without Norton 360 and the it was invaded and fried everything. After we got our computer back, we put Norton 360 in that one too.

We were happy to see the blocked message on all our computers yesterday.

We love you Norton...:D

I deal with this all the time with my customer's getting their PCs infected.

I use a great site called bleepingcomputer dot com which has excellent info on how to remove alot of the common "mal-ware" that is out there now.

Malwareantibytes is a great tool, but many times the malware is able to shut it down before allowing it to run.

Most antivirus programs aren't very good at detecting some of this stuff and it comes right through.

Best word of advice is to keep your computer updated with all the latest Microsoft security and browser updates.

Also, using another browser like chrome or firefox also reduces the chances of getting infected with that garbage. :eek:

I use bleepingcomputer all the time at work (I'm a Systems Administrator), I also download combo fix. You have to rename it when you save it, but it works great.

Neither of my computers have got it yet. I work at home for a large hospital, running their network on my computer, and was told by their IT department that Microsoft Security Essentials (which is free) is one of the best antivirus/malware protectors there is - including the pay for ones - I had McAfee and they requested I remove it and put on the Microsoft Security Essentials.

Not usually my style or am I in the habit of disputing in public, but this does NOT happen "often" on this site. It happened once back in March 2010. Cruise Critic took steps to prevent this from happening on our end.

Same issue almost exactly, 9 months later -- only this time the ads were NOT being served up by Cruise Critic's ad server. That server obviously did not have the steps in place to prevent this from happening. We have been told that they WILL put those steps in place.

And yes, I'll say it again. Everyone SHOULD be protecting themselves. Those that did have proper protection, found they had NO issues with this at all.

Switching to another browser helps as well. Try FIREFOX.

Well it happened to me a few weeks ago at home and at WORK. I work in a large, technology forward school district who are constantly monitoring our systems to keep them protected as we fight things all of the time with students online.

It also happened to me twice this past week, but I was able to recognize what was happening after losing EVERYTHING on my work computer. (Thankfully I did have a recent back-up.)

Each time I was on CC.

Archived