Wine Bottles

Sailor Gal

Has anyone actually taken two large bottles or two boxes onboard without a problem? I don't want to buy it, try to board and have it taken from me. The alcohol policy says two bottles of wine are permitted per stateroom but it doesn't specify what size. I wouldn't think they'd permit a box. Anyone actually done this? Thanks a lot. As you can tell this is important to me. Love, love, love my wine!!!

Hi - new here, but frequent on NCL.

Interesting that some say they have done this or that. But, to clarify there are really three answers above, and it is not clear which one is being posted.

So, which is the correct answer:

a) Brought large bottle (or box) and our luggage was not checked close enough, and therefore we do not know if it is okay or not. (cruiseline did not know we had it)

or

b) Brought large bottle (or box), they saw what we had and said it was okay - policy

or

c) They saw our large bottle but just waived us through - did not want to bother.

I've seen this question discussed on these boards quite a bit.

Unfortunately the Celebrity policy doesn't address bottle size nor the issue of boxes. Because of this the rules seem to be interpreted differently by different staff.

While most of the experiences related indicate the posters have had no problem there have been a few on boxes and large bottles that indicate they were not allowed if the total being brought on board exceeded the volume of 2 standard 750ML bottles of wine. Based on the responses I've read I'd say that you'll probably be OK but it isn't certain and there will be a possibility that any thing exceeding a 1.5 liter total allowance might be confiscated. So the big question is "do you feel lucky"?

I've seen this question discussed on these boards quite a bit.

Unfortunately the Celebrity policy doesn't address bottle size nor the issue of boxes. Because of this the rules seem to be interpreted differently by different staff.

While most of the experiences related indicate the posters have had no problem there have been a few on boxes and large bottles that indicate they were not allowed if the total being brought on board exceeded the volume of 2 standard 750ML bottles of wine. Based on the responses I've read I'd say that you'll probably be OK but it isn't certain and there will be a possibility that any thing exceeding a 1.5 liter total allowance might be confiscated. So the big question is "do you feel lucky"?

I wonder why Celebrity cannot be more specific in their wine policy. It would be so easy for them to do and would eliminate a great deal of angst for many passengers.

Just had a wonderful Christmas Cruise on the Equinox! We took two bottles (1.5) on board with us in the "Wine Diapers". It was easy and convenient. No problems or questions!

Looking forward to the May Transatlantic and Med!! Happy Cruising!

.........and you can take two with you in your carry on and put two more in your checked luggage...............................

Just don't scream and kick if asked to remove the bottles from your "checked" luggage after it is scanned. ;) You'll get it back at the end of the cruise or you can choose to be charged the $25 per bottle corkage fee.

Take your chances if you choose.:rolleyes:

Just returned from 14 days on the Mercury -- we took one box (Black Box) and a bottle of Champagne. Enjoyed both without any issues from Celebrity. Room service provided us with a bucket and glasses for the bubbly without any problem.

We used to wrap wine bottles in bubble wrap to insure they wouldn't break. Now you just slip them in the Wine Diapers and you are good to go! They are large plastic bags (will hold 1.5L bottle) padded with some kind of absorbent material and closes like a zip lock bag. Sure have made our wine packing a lot easier. Just "google" them. You'll love the convenience!!

Does anyone know of any place to buy decent wines in San Juan??? Are they sold in stores or do you have to find a liquor store???

Sue

We've seen wine in stores including grocery stores and drug stores (Walgreens). They have a limited selection of wine covering a broad price range including some nice sparkling wines and champagnes right at the store in the port terminal.

Archived