Travel Guard claim question

WeatherGeek

I had to cancel a cruise last month at the last minute and I filed a claim with Travel Guard for reimbursement. I had all of the paperwork they needed except the trip invoice. I searched high and low and could not find it. It was not with the other information that I had printed out, but I know I had printed out a copy of it because I print and keep a record of everything under the sun. For me to have not printed it is like me saying "No thanks, I'll pass on the chocolate." It just isn't possible ;)

I called Carnival to request a copy of it and they said since the cruise was canceled, they couldn't readily give me a copy of it because their system can't bring it up. I told them what I needed it for and they said it happens all the time and that when I submit my forms to Travel Guard, to make a note that they can contact Carnival at a certain address to get the copy of the invoice. The rep said Travel Guard's claims department should be familiar with the process.

I called Travel Guard to confirm this and they said yes, they do that.

I got a letter in the mail today from TG saying that "Carnival will not provide this information to us."

Does anyone have experience with this? I can't call TG's claims dept to inquire further until Monday, so I am trying to gather as much information as I can ahead of time.

Hi,

If you booked your cruise through a third party website or travel agent, they should have some sort of invoice they can provide to you. I am sure somewhere in Carnival's computer systems, there will be a way to pull up the invoice. The front line representatives may not be able to access it, but I am sure there is a back office that has access to it. Maybe when you call Carnival, ask for them to get you to the Guest Solutions department.

Not enough sleep, and still on 1st cup of coffee, so maybe I'm not thinking straight, but would a copy of the fun pass/cruise contract/billing info, suffice as the trip invoice? Let us know what happens. (Sorry the O.P. had to cancel their cruise...)

I had to cancel a cruise last month at the last minute and I filed a claim with Travel Guard for reimbursement. I had all of the paperwork they needed except the trip invoice. I searched high and low and could not find it. It was not with the other information that I had printed out, but I know I had printed out a copy of it because I print and keep a record of everything under the sun. For me to have not printed it is like me saying "No thanks, I'll pass on the chocolate." It just isn't possible ;)

I called Carnival to request a copy of it and they said since the cruise was canceled, they couldn't readily give me a copy of it because their system can't bring it up. I told them what I needed it for and they said it happens all the time and that when I submit my forms to Travel Guard, to make a note that they can contact Carnival at a certain address to get the copy of the invoice. The rep said Travel Guard's claims department should be familiar with the process.

I called Travel Guard to confirm this and they said yes, they do that.

I got a letter in the mail today from TG saying that "Carnival will not provide this information to us."

Does anyone have experience with this? I can't call TG's claims dept to inquire further until Monday, so I am trying to gather as much information as I can ahead of time.

Just throwing this out there ....but is there any chance you saved the email they sent confirming your booking? I save those and often will print them out. If you do have it saved or it's still in your old email folder you should be able to print it out.

Good luck :)

They required a copy of the cruise contract, which I had, and my credit card statements showing that I paid for the cruise plus the $89 that Carnival refunded me in port charges/taxes/whatever, so they have those in my bundle of paperwork. As extras, I sent them my e-mail confirmation from the initial booking and final payment plus my fun pass. They still want the actual copy of the trip invoice. I know exactly what it looks like because I have the one from the trip I immediately booked for the following week, but I just can't find that darn piece of paper to save my life. Thanks for the tip about calling the Guest Solutions department. I will start there when I call tomorrow after I talk to Travel Guard to see why I was told conflicting information and which information should be correct. I have a special folder that I keep all of that type of stuff in for all trips we go on until the trip is over and it is the single, solitary piece of information missing from the folder. GRR! I am so mad at myself for misplacing it!

They required a copy of the cruise contract, which I had, and my credit card statements showing that I paid for the cruise plus the $89 that Carnival refunded me in port charges/taxes/whatever, so they have those in my bundle of paperwork. As extras, I sent them my e-mail confirmation from the initial booking and final payment plus my fun pass. They still want the actual copy of the trip invoice. I know exactly what it looks like because I have the one from the trip I immediately booked for the following week, but I just can't find that darn piece of paper to save my life. Thanks for the tip about calling the Guest Solutions department. I will start there when I call tomorrow after I talk to Travel Guard to see why I was told conflicting information and which information should be correct. I have a special folder that I keep all of that type of stuff in for all trips we go on until the trip is over and it is the single, solitary piece of information missing from the folder. GRR! I am so mad at myself for misplacing it!

That is good info to know, but what exactly is the cruise contract, guess I need to go thru my paperwork. Is it the original confirmation after booking?

I dont know how you booked but I just want to add that each time I booked on CCL's website they never sent an invoice or confirmation.

I always had to call for it.

Bill

That is good info to know, but what exactly is the cruise contract, guess I need to go thru my paperwork. Is it the original confirmation after booking?

I'm in the opposite camp. I know what the cruise contract is but not the "trip invoice" mentioned. :confused: :D

To get both the cruise contract and the invoice, it's in with the cruise documents that you can print after you go into your booking on Carnival's website. I don't currently have any cruises booked or I could tell you exactly where to find them. There's a whole list of documents you can print out and I print all of them out and put them in a folder and once the trip is over and I know I don't need the info anymore, I shred it or recycle it, depending on how sensitive the info is.

The cruise contract is a document containing the fine print regarding your booking. If you remember the little blue book they used to send before they switched to e-docs, it's basically that, just in electronic form....it's about 9 printed pages long. They need it so that they can read the cancelation policy penalties to determine how much they are to refund you vs how much Carnival has refunded you, if they did at all.

That is good info to know, I never print all that info out. Does that mean it is gone after the cruise is over?

It's gone to you - you won't be able to print it out after you have sailed or canceled and the first set of folks you talk to on the phone won't have access to it either. However, like a PP said, it exists somewhere within Carnival...and the problem I'm having is finding who can actually get the piece of paper to me or Travel Guard! Better to print it out (and the key here is not to lose it :D) while you still have access to it just in case you need it in the future.

I had to cancel a cruise last month at the last minute and I filed a claim with Travel Guard for reimbursement. I had all of the paperwork they needed except the trip invoice. I searched high and low and could not find it. It was not with the other information that I had printed out, but I know I had printed out a copy of it because I print and keep a record of everything under the sun. For me to have not printed it is like me saying "No thanks, I'll pass on the chocolate." It just isn't possible ;).....
Do you still have the original saved on your computer? If so, just print yourself another copy.

I create a folder on my computer for each cruise and save everything having to do with that cruise there, so it is all together in one place on the computer. Easier than printing it all out and then needing to store all those paper copies.

Also, if you email the files to yourself right before you leave for a cruise then you can access them from anywhere you go and it is easy to print another copy if you need it, even if you lost or misplaced the first copy you printed.

It's gone to you - you won't be able to print it out after you have sailed or canceled and the first set of folks you talk to on the phone won't have access to it either. However, like a PP said, it exists somewhere within Carnival...and the problem I'm having is finding who can actually get the piece of paper to me or Travel Guard! Better to print it out (and the key here is not to lose it :D) while you still have access to it just in case you need it in the future.

Good Advice!!

.... Better to print it out (and the key here is not to lose it :D) while you still have access to it just in case you need it in the future.
If you saved it on your computer you will still have access to it for as long as you want, unless you deleted it.

Even if you deleted it, you might still have access to it if you backed it up someplace.

Do you still have the original saved on your computer? If so, just print yourself another copy.

I create a folder on my computer for each cruise and save everything having to do with that cruise there, so it is all together in one place on the computer. Easier than printing it all out and then needing to store all those paper copies.

Also, if you email the files to yourself right before you leave for a cruise then you can access them from anywhere you go and it is easy to print another copy if you need it, even if you lost or misplaced the first copy you printed.

That's great advice for next time! Won't help me now though.

All I can think of is a letter from you to Carnival that authorizes them to release the information to the insurance company. You CC the insurance company, and ask them to try again.

You have provided more than I did when I made my claim. The next step will be a letter to an ombudsman, or government regulator. As it seems to me you have provided as much as possible.

OP - Everybody gave you great advise. I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT CARNIVAL does keep a record of your cancelled cruise. I have proof because when Carnival cancelled a cruise they told me the info. had been deleted in their computer but it wasn't because when the Splendor was put on dry dock I was sent an e-mail from Carnival to make some new plans. "DUH". I had already rolled over my money to the Carnival Paradise MONTHS AGO. They still had the deleted Splendor cruise in their computer. See what I mean?

My advise is to speak to the Carnival Resolution Dept. Ask Carnival to give you the phone number.

Also ASK to speak to a SUPERVISOR at your TruTravel Agency. Some of the agents in that insurance company are kind of lazy because they don't really give great service. I don't plan to buy my insurance from them anymore.

TruTravel Insurance has a great reputation here on Cruise Critic. But after I bought the insurance they made some mistakes on my policy. I had to call them to fix the problem.

YOU HAVE GIVEN TRUTRAVEL Insurance enough info. for them to figure out how much they owe you. But Carnival can also verify the info. too.

My advise KICK HINNEY with lots of sugar and don't give up. Your insurance company should also be fighting for your rights with Carnival.

I have other ideas to help you if you don't get results on Monday.

I am sure that if you call and call both the Insurance company and Carnival you will get results.

OP - I saw your message last night but I wasn't able to get in to help you with my advise. I know how you feel and it is so easy for Carnival to give TruTravel Insurance the info. you need to get your money.

Now that the Holidays are over they will be more willing to help you.

Don't blame yourself. Blame Carnival and your insurance company. Carnival has not deleted your cancelled cruise from their computers because they do need to keep their records.

I know it doesn't help you now, but just FYI for the future. Its under Manage my Cruise on the website, then under cruise documents, then Print General Information.

I think some people are just being lazy....I'd send a nice, but persistent letter to Carnival.

My husband and I had to cancel our cruise back in June, due to his Dad passing away suddenly. For our insurance claim, I needed written confirmation from Carnival that we did indeed cancel our cruise. Initially, we got the same run around but I just kept asking for the next supervisor! The outcome was that I was emailed an authorization to charge my credit card $20 for the written proof. I had to sign it, fax it back, then they charged my credit card and emailed me a letter that said we canceled. (Funny thing was, they didn't require an authorization to charge my credit card $2000, when we booked the cruise!)

I ended up calling Carnival to see if I could get it before I called Travel Guard to see what was going on with why I was told 2 different things. The Guest Solutions department handled it - or so I think. They said I should have an e-mailed copy of it within 72 business hours. I'll know in 48 more hours if they hold up their end of the deal with that!

Archived