Customer service is making me nervous

I have had the opportunity to cruise with RCCI once before and I was very happy with my experience. Unfortunately, the customer service department is making me question if I made the right decision booking another cruise with this company. Has anyone else had trouble with customer service through RCCI, or I am just getting unlucky?

The issue I am trying to deal with is making a name change on the ship ticket. The name was spelled wrong in the original booking (they gave my husband the same last name as me) and because of RCCI policy, in order to change it they are requesting an extra $800 in fees because they are saying if they make a change to the ship ticket, they must make a change to the airline ticket. The kicker is - I personally called TSA and Delta to see if my husband would be cleared in security to board the plane with the name mix up and they both said yes! RCCI is saying that they can't flag the name on the reservation (like the airline is doing which would allow him to board), and that they can't change the name on reservation without deleting his airline ticket. I guess I don't understand why getting on the plane wouldn't be a problem, but why getting on a ship is turning out to be such a nightmare. Every time I call I get another answer, another "policy" that contradicts the first, etc.

I am hoping to get this all sorted so we can still have a great vacation and get out of the the snow in March. I am just getting a tad nervous that this is a foreshadowing of how the entire experience will go.

I do know that I will never ever, ever, ever buy through Choice Air again. That seems to be my biggest mistake. The worst part is that RCCI keeps blaming Choice Air, and Choice Air keeps blaming RCCI for "bad policies" regarding my issue. Any suggestions of how to navigate this issue?

If you booked through a travel agent (as I'm guessing choice air is?!) and THEY got the name wrong, then it is THEIR problem and responsibility to get it corrected.

I fail to understand how, in this day and age of technology, they can't just made the correction on a computer for the ship, airline etc. It's only a name correction, not a passenger change.

Keep at your travel agents to get it done. If there needs to be some kind of payment extra, then it's their fault and they should foot the bill.

Maybe also call up your travel insurers and see what they have to say!!

How very frustrating for you. Hope you get it all sorted out!

I have had the opportunity to cruise with RCCI once before and I was very happy with my experience. Unfortunately, the customer service department is making me question if I made the right decision booking another cruise with this company. Has anyone else had trouble with customer service through RCCI, or I am just getting unlucky?

The issue I am trying to deal with is making a name change on the ship ticket. The name was spelled wrong in the original booking (they gave my husband the same last name as me) and because of RCCI policy, in order to change it they are requesting an extra $800 in fees because they are saying if they make a change to the ship ticket, they must make a change to the airline ticket. The kicker is - I personally called TSA and Delta to see if my husband would be cleared in security to board the plane with the name mix up and they both said yes! RCCI is saying that they can't flag the name on the reservation (like the airline is doing which would allow him to board), and that they can't change the name on reservation without deleting his airline ticket. I guess I don't understand why getting on the plane wouldn't be a problem, but why getting on a ship is turning out to be such a nightmare. Every time I call I get another answer, another "policy" that contradicts the first, etc.

I am hoping to get this all sorted so we can still have a great vacation and get out of the the snow in March. I am just getting a tad nervous that this is a foreshadowing of how the entire experience will go.

I do know that I will never ever, ever, ever buy through Choice Air again. That seems to be my biggest mistake. The worst part is that RCCI keeps blaming Choice Air, and Choice Air keeps blaming RCCI for "bad policies" regarding my issue. Any suggestions of how to navigate this issue?

didn't you realize the second you booked that the name was wrong? Didn't you look at the statement?

you could have straightened this all out a long time before the air was purchased

RCL is right

Can't blame them just because you're not getting the answer you want

If you booked through a travel agent (as I'm guessing choice air is?!) and THEY got the name wrong, then it is THEIR problem and responsibility to get it corrected.

I fail to understand how, in this day and age of technology, they can't just made the correction on a computer for the ship, airline etc. It's only a name correction, not a passenger change.

Keep at your travel agents to get it done. If there needs to be some kind of payment extra, then it's their fault and they should foot the bill.

Maybe also call up your travel insurers and see what they have to say!!

How very frustrating for you. Hope you get it all sorted out!

Choice Air is RCL

didn't you realize the second you booked that the name was wrong? Didn't you look at the statement?

you could have straightened this all out a long time before the air was purchased

RCL is right

Can't blame them just because you're not getting the answer you want

I purchased the air and cruise all in one stroke. And yes, as soon as I saw the name was wrong (about 2 seconds later) I called. This has been going on now for quite some time, hence my frustration. We are getting a million different answers every time we call "There is nothing I can do, call this person", "Try talking to this person", etc. Run around....

Just to clarify, RCI is not charging you the "fees." You bought nonrefundable air and because the air is associated with the cruise ticket, if you change the name, the air is cancelled (or a fee is charged, airline policy) and fees are assessed by the airline. RCI wont get to keep any of that money.

In fact, expect some changes to ChoiceAir because RCI is losing money on this program.

Lesson from this: NEVER book the cruise and air at the same time. Always get written confirmation of the names before purchasing any air. That is just common sense when booking nonrefundable air.

Yes, I bought a non-refundable ticket and I understand what RCCI is telling me regarding changing the name and having to pay for a new ticket. I guess what i don't understand is that if delta/tsa says that he can get on the plane with the incorrect name, then why can't he get on the ship with the incorrect name? Luckily, I spoke with someone from RCCI right after I wrote this that is checking into "flagging" the ticket for port security just like I did with delta. She was very nice and said that she believes I have been getting the run around because the other customer service representatives didn't know what to do and didn't know how to ask how to try to resolve this for me. I have learned a lot of lessons from this experience and I do feel like an idiot for booking the cruise and air in the way I did. When we cruised previously we lived in GA and would always just drive to the port and wow - that was much easier.

The issue I am trying to deal with is making a name change on the ship ticket. The name was spelled wrong in the original booking (they gave my husband the same last name as me)

Who is the "they" in your above quote (I bolded it for clarity)? Is that your travel agent? If so, they need to be the ones to either eat the cost or deal with this... not you. If the "they" is RCCL because you booked via the phone, I'd set aside a few hours and keep calling non-stop until somebody on their end fixes it for you.

I'm assuming that Delta and the TSA don't necessarily care because you're traveling domestically, but the ship will be visiting several different countries.... a completely different issue.

Choice Air is RCL

Ahh, ok. Sorry for my misinformation then.

For what it's worth, I'll never book flights and cruise together after my first cruise... It wasn't the flights that were a problem (at first) but the transfers from airport to overnight hotel one we got to Miami were an absolute farce. It shouldn't take 4 hours from arriving to getting to the hotel!!

Oh, and on the way back we were booked into seats behind each other, rather than next to it. A bit disappointing considering it was our honeymoon! The problem was we weren't able to select our own seats because they were booked through RCL and couldn't book ourselves in.... lesson learnt anyway!!

Glad you got it sorted out.

They is the travel agent. They are saying that they did not make a mistake, that I never mentioned that we had different names. I have given up on that end. They are of no help and say that they are not in the wrong. That is why I have been making all of the calls. Like I said, lots and lots of lessons learned. I do remember saying "Oh! I'll go through a travel agency this time since they'll do all the work." :o

So you are saying you used a travel agent? Then the travel agent is the one that typed in the names incorrectly? Yes? Then it is the agent who needs to correct this. If you typed the names in then you did not use a travel agent. And if you used a travel agent, RCCI wouldn't even be speaking to you. I am very confused as to who is actually responsible for this error.

So you are saying you used a travel agent? Then the travel agent is the one that typed in the names incorrectly? Yes? Then it is the agent who needs to correct this. If you typed the names in then you did not use a travel agent. And if you used a travel agent, RCCI wouldn't even be speaking to you. I am very confused as to who is actually responsible for this error.

I used a travel agent and I booked over the phone. He sent me the documentation via email and as soon as I saw the error I called to get it corrected. He said, "No, those were the names you gave me" - which is incorrect, but he is not willing to help me as he does not want to admit his mistake. The reason I can talk with Royal Caribbean is because he placed what he is calling a notation in my reservation saying that I can speak with them(royal caribbean) directly. He did this after the countless emails, phone calls, etc. made to him and he was not willing to assist. So i have taken over in an attempt to get this resolved. I am not at all blaming Royal Caribbean for this, this is not their fault. I am just wanting a clear answer to what can be done. I have yet to get that, but am waiting for the lovely woman from Royal Caribbean who I spoke with today to give me a call back. I am keeping my fingers crossed that all of the calling will now have paid off and I finally reached someone who is willing to look into the various options before disconnecting the phone call or sending me to another department.

I used a travel agent and I booked over the phone. He sent me the documentation via email and as soon as I saw the error I called to get it corrected. He said, "No, those were the names you gave me" - which is incorrect, but he is not willing to help me as he does not want to admit his mistake. The reason I can talk with Royal Caribbean is because he placed what he is calling a notation in my reservation saying that I can speak with them(royal caribbean) directly. He did this after the countless emails, phone calls, etc. made to him and he was not willing to assist. So i have taken over in an attempt to get this resolved. I am not at all blaming Royal Caribbean for this, this is not their fault. I am just wanting a clear answer to what can be done. I have yet to get that, but am waiting for the lovely woman from Royal Caribbean who I spoke with today to give me a call back. I am keeping my fingers crossed that all of the calling will now have paid off and I finally reached someone who is willing to look into the various options before disconnecting the phone call or sending me to another department.

You cant just let the TA off the hook,if what you say is true.........speak to the person in charge there.......

Guest maddycat
You cant just let the TA off the hook,if what you say is true.........speak to the person in charge there.......

I agree. Speak to his supervisor or the owner of the travel agency. Find out what professional associations the agency belongs to and report his behavior. Do not let him get away with this.

Oh trust me i have! The problem is, I have no way to prove my case. This is a small travel agency and they claim they don't record the phone calls like larger agencies do. It's just a mess. I will be booking directly with each cruise line from now on, and buying my air separately. I don't want to let this guy off the hook - but at some point I do need to move on and attempt to get this resolved on my own or my husband and I won't be cruising.

Find out what professional associations the agency belongs to and report his behavior.

That's a good idea...thanks :)

Wow! I thought you had booked thru' RCI and the problem was with them. But, it seems the TA made all this trouble for you. I would absolutely speak to the owner of the agency and if the owner will not make this right, write a letter to the Better Business Bureau and cc that letter to all business organizations in the city where this agency is located, as well as to the agency and any travel organizations to which this agency belongs. Advise the owner that you will do this if he/she does not make this right.

Should always have something in email. If it is true that you did it the way you said then the agent is responsible for the mistake. If your flight is notated that it will be okay then RCI should make the name change to your cruise for no charge. Another person you might want to contact the airline on your behalf is http://www.elliott.org/ . His organization helped me a lot once. Email and tell him your problem BRIEFLY - not he said she said and who is wrong. Tell them what airline it is and they will talk with someone at the airline and will give you a high up contact and phone # at the airline to call in case of a problem (ask for the contact name & phone #). Then have the agent change the name on the cruise. That should be free. Keep us updated. I wish I could help you more but I think elliott.org may help you some.

Did you first notice this back in the spring when you booked??:confused: Its taken you this long and you still dont have any resolution>??:eek:

Yes it has taken this long. We have wasted a lot of time with the travel agency. So as soon as we realized that wasn't going anywhere, we called TSA immediately because we didn't want to have to buy a whole new plane ticket, and they said that it wouldn't be a problem to get on the plane. That part is resolved. We called Royal C. awhile back and they said it wouldn't be a problem to change the name on the ship ticket, but that the ChoiceAir department had to do it. ChoiceAir sent us back to reservations, etc. etc. That is what has taken so long. Getting different stories each time regarding the cruise ticket.

the "proof" I would say to the travel agency/supervisor... "don't you THINK I KNOW MY OWN HUSBAND'S LAST NAME?!?!"

I agree with you and other posters -- it's correcting an error, not making a change. It's crazy that you are going through so much trouble.

You probably have already tried this, but would the airlines take your call directly to try and resolve? Maybe if you offered to fax/e-mail them your driver's license, your husband's, and a marriage license (that would prove the connection) to show how the travel agency would have made the error, maybe they could make the change directly? Mabye TMI to give them, but it reminds me of how I had to go on a business trip while my name was being changed after I got married -- work made the reservation in my previous name, but my license had my married name. I was told to just bring my license and a copy of my marriage certificate and I should be fine. I had no trouble. Maybe it could be that easy for you?

Even if it's seemingly resolved, I would actually suggest bringing a copy of your marriage license just in case somewhere along the way someone didn't get the memo of the error/fix. It can't hurt, right?

When ChoiceAir is booked on a reservation there is literally no way to change the name on the cruise section and not affect the air. RCCL isn't going to waive those fees as it is not their error. Pay them and get the TA to reimburse you. Because RCCL also isn't going to let you board their ship with the wrong name on the reservation.

I sure wouldn't use this TA ever again. Call and ask to speak to his supervisor and explain the situation. If he/she refuses to help tell him/her you will never use that agency again.

When ChoiceAir is booked on a reservation there is literally no way to change the name on the cruise section and not affect the air. RCCL isn't going to waive those fees as it is not their error. Pay them and get the TA to reimburse you. Because RCCL also isn't going to let you board their ship with the wrong name on the reservation.

Update!!! So I just spoke with the nicest person at RCCL! It is weird that the day I post about this problem, I get a resolution:) I should have posted this months ago ;) I told her about the situation and about how my last conversation with ChoiceAir ended with the representative saying that RCCL should just flag the reservation so they know of the mix up. Well, she was skeptical that she would be able to but said it was worth a try. I was on hold with her for an hour while she tried to get a hold of the port security with no luck. She assurred me she would try again and get back to me. Well, I just got off the phone with her and she said that she informed the port authority in San Juan and they agreed that with the passport, license, marriage certificate, etc. that we will both be able to get on the ship without having to get a name change and pay for another plane ticket. YAY!!!! I am glad that I was finally able to get someone from Royal C. to take the time to try rather than blow me off. She was wonderful and I am a happy camper.

Update!!! So I just spoke with the nicest person at RCCL! It is weird that the day I post about this problem, I get a resolution:) I should have posted this months ago ;) I told her about the situation and about how my last conversation with ChoiceAir ended with the representative saying that RCCL should just flag the reservation so they know of the mix up. Well, she was skeptical that she would be able to but said it was worth a try. I was on hold with her for an hour while she tried to get a hold of the port security with no luck. She assurred me she would try again and get back to me. Well, I just got off the phone with her and she said that she informed the port authority in San Juan and they agreed that with the passport, license, marriage certificate, etc. that we will both be able to get on the ship without having to get a name change and pay for another plane ticket. YAY!!!! I am glad that I was finally able to get someone from Royal C. to take the time to try rather than blow me off. She was wonderful and I am a happy camper.

Do you have something in writing stating this? I would not go on what was told to me over a phone conversation. There are a lot of people working at the terminal.

Archived