What would you do? New guarantee offer.

It's 5 weeks until our 4 night Radiance sailing. We are currently booked in connecting E2 cabins (deluxe category) forward of midship on deck seven, so we have extended balconies. We have been watching the RCI website, and noticed the bookings are very light. Yesterday RCI opened up a deluxe balcony guarantee. Since there are so many superior category D1/D2's (38) open, not to mention 30+ Jr. Suite (and above) open, we are considering rolling the dice.

Yes, we know we most likely won't be side by side, which is no big deal. If we end up in the same category as we are currently in, but not in an extended balcony, that would be a bit of a bummer, BUT we could end up in a jr. suite or above. BTW, no difference in price to take the guarantee. What would you do?

I'm a gambler; I would do it. Question, though: just how extended is the extended balcony, and is it really worth losing a shot at the suite?

Also, how much do you like the people you're connected to? Would it be nice to have a cabin on the opposite side of the ship?

Third, and possibly most important: are any of the currently open deluxe suites in undesirable locations (under a disco club)? I'd imagine not, but if they are and you're a light sleeper like I am, that could ruin a vacation.

Hmmmm....Possible GS with Concierge Service or extended balcony.... I guess the question you need to ask yourself is "How much time do you plan on spending in your extended balcony stateroom?" If you have a tendency to chill in your room for a good portion of the trip and love the balcony, then you probably shouldn't take the risk. But if you're not going to be in it that much (with so much to do on the cruise everyday) except to sleep, shower, and change clothes, then maybe the risk is worth it for a really nice upgrade. :)

I have stayed in one of those extended balcony cabins on deck 7 and would not do it again! We got all the noise from the centrum band every night till 1 AM. And those balconies are cave-like. Very dark. I'd go for the guarantee myself.

I'm a gambler; I would do it. Question, though: just how extended is the extended balcony, and is it really worth losing a shot at the suite?

Also, how much do you like the people you're connected to? Would it be nice to have a cabin on the opposite side of the ship?

Third, and possibly most important: are any of the currently open deluxe suites in undesirable locations (under a disco club)? I'd imagine not, but if they are and you're a light sleeper like I am, that could ruin a vacation.

Balcony is about 40% deeper, or so.

The proximity to our traveling companions is not an issue.

Available cabins are all over the ship. No real duds, except maybe E3's, or a possible partially obstructed JS.

Hmmmm....Possible GS with Concierge Service or extended balcony.... I guess the question you need to ask yourself is "How much time do you plan on spending in your extended balcony stateroom?" If you have a tendency to chill in your room for a good portion of the trip and love the balcony, then you probably shouldn't take the risk. But if you're not going to be in it that much (with so much to do on the cruise everyday) except to sleep, shower, and change clothes, then maybe the risk is worth it for a really nice upgrade. :)

I do spend some time in the cabin and on the balcony, but certainly not a ton of time. The risk could end up being an less desirable E2 or an E3, but odds are (I think) it would be an upgrade of sorts.

I have stayed in one of those extended balcony cabins on deck 7 and would not do it again! We got all the noise from the centrum band every night till 1 AM. And those balconies are cave-like. Very dark. I'd go for the guarantee myself.

Rut-roh!!! :eek: Do you remember your cabin number?

Those extended balconies don't offer the privacy of the regular sized....the balcony divider doesn't extend as deep as the balcony is....so you have about 2 ft. of space that is only divided from your neighbor by a railing.

As long as the "connecting" thing isn't a problem, I'd go for it, too1

We switched to a guarantee balcony for our Radiance cruise next week. We were assigned an E2 within hours, but it was one of the worse ones available. Called my TA and asked to be changed to another E2 which I saw open. Done! That's all it takes to change it to another cabin. As far as getting upgraded, it's all a crap shoot. One day there were so many suites available and the next day they were all gone. Someone wrote on our roll call that they booked just within the last two weeks while on the Monarch, and they were upgraded to a suite, (can't remember which suite level) and someone else with a bunch of RCCL cruises under their belt got upgraded to one of the biggest suites. Then you hear of new cruisers getting upgrades, so it doesn't make any sense!

If you take the guarantee and get assigned, just keep looking for cabins opening up in the same category that are in better locations and call and ask to be changed. Never thought you could do that until I started reading these boards!

We have played the guarantee game several times and have been happy every time. BUT I would NEVER do it without a substantial price break. I wouldn't even think about it for the same money.

I suspect your odds of getting a less desirable balcony cabin are substantially better than getting upgraded to a suite of any kind. I have seen posts by people who claim that they get upgraded to suites almost every time -- I am skeptical. The only real upgrade we have ever gotten was from E2 [didn't have E3 at that time] to a D2 [which we were thrilled with because it was less than half the price of the D1 we gave up to take the guarantee].

In my opinion, if you are not prepared to be thrilled with the lowest E3 [or whatever the lowest guaranteed category is], taking the guarantee is a mistake.

I'd go for it. It's only a 4 day cruise so how bad could anything really be? And as someone also said, if you don't like where you get then you can switch to another available cabin in the same category that you are given.

no price break, no point taking the bait. You have good cabins, so keep them. Just because JS's are available, there is no reason to think you will get them. RCI can sell them as JS or upgrade D plus cruisers.

If this is a major vacation, I would leave it as is. If it is an extra or bonus or weekend trip, I would try the guarantee.

That is exactly what I did for my January 13 Radiance Cruise.

We ALWAYS book at least 2 rooms, mostly 3. Connecting and/or across the hall since the kids come with us so always have book specific cabin numbers.

On January 13, my dh and I decided to take a quick 4 night cruise, without the kids, for our 20th anniversary, which we never do. We originall booked an E3, so it was the least expensive of all the balconies and we were trying to keep costs down since it is just a quick trip. When the GTYs opened up, it was $220 cheaper and I figured I already had the lowest category and why not give it a try. We always book aft on Deck 9 on any ship so I figured no matter where I was would be a new experience.

We ended up still on Deck 7 (where I originally was) and just aft of the hump so I'm happy.

I know Deck 7 has the overhang but it is where we were originally booked anyway.

The only thing I wish I had done was wait closer to sailing to move to GTY but I was always nervous it would go away.

Archived