3-1-1 rule...contact lens solution and prescription creams?

ShedQueen77

The last time I went through airport security, I did not have contact lenses or a need for prescription creams (eczema, lucky me). Can anyone please help clarify these rules for me?

I believe I read that the prescription creams can go in the carry on outside of the 3-1-1 bag as long as they are labeled as a prescription. Is that correct? Also, does it matter if it is open already or do I need to bring a new tube?

I couldn't find an answer to the contact lens solution above the 3 oz on the TSA website. Is this exempt too or should I pack that in checked luggage? I can't imagine that is easy to purchase on board and I would hate to go 10 days without it if my luggage gets lost.

Thank you so much for your help.

Place contact lense solution in a separate bag and declare it separately. Hope an agent doesn't decide to open and test it, because they can. Prescription meds don't fall under the 3-1-1 rule. Leave them in the original containers; they don't have to be new.

The last time I went through airport security, I did not have contact lenses or a need for prescription creams (eczema, lucky me). Can anyone please help clarify these rules for me?

I believe I read that the prescription creams can go in the carry on outside of the 3-1-1 bag as long as they are labeled as a prescription. Is that correct? Also, does it matter if it is open already or do I need to bring a new tube?

I couldn't find an answer to the contact lens solution above the 3 oz on the TSA website. Is this exempt too or should I pack that in checked luggage? I can't imagine that is easy to purchase on board and I would hate to go 10 days without it if my luggage gets lost.

Thank you so much for your help.

Both need to go in the 3-1-1 bag. Also, make sure that the contact lens bottle is 100mL (just over 3oz) or less, 3oz in an 8oz bottle doesn't cut it. Merely claiming it's 'medically necessary' wont cut it with the TSA, and contact lens solution is a very bad example as it was a contact lens solution bottle (filled with explosives) that was used in the attempt to blow Philippine Airlines 434 from the sky.

However, you can actually buy contact lens solution post-security in most major airports; and it's easy to buy at your destination.

You can read all about here

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/specialneeds/editorial_1059.shtm

"You are not limited in the amount or volume of these items you may bring in your carry-on baggage. BUT if the medically necessary items exceed 3 ounces or are not contained in a one-quart, zip-top plastic bag, you MUST declare to one of our Security Officers at the checkpoint for further inspection."

My suggestion would be to go to Target and pick up a couple 3oz. empty travel bottles for 99 cents. It is located near the pharmacy in the section that has all the travel size stuff.

Both need to go in the 3-1-1 bag. Also, make sure that the contact lens bottle is 100mL (just over 3oz) or less, 3oz in an 8oz bottle doesn't cut it. Merely claiming it's 'medically necessary' wont cut it with the TSA, and contact lens solution is a very bad example as it was a contact lens solution bottle (filled with explosives) that was used in the attempt to blow Philippine Airlines 434 from the sky.

However, you can actually buy contact lens solution post-security in most major airports; and it's easy to buy at your destination.

Baloney.

"Declare larger liquids. Medications, baby formula and food, and breast milk are allowed in reasonable quantities exceeding three ounces and are not required to be in the zip-top bag. Declare these items for inspection at the checkpoint."

http://www.tsa.gov/311/index.shtm

What we do is have a 3 oz. bottle of contact lens solution in our one quart bag and then pack a larger bottle in our checked luggage. Surprisingly, for the type of case I use, that 3 oz. bottle will actually last me 8 to 9 nights. Unisol is a small enough saline solution for contact lenses that will also fit in the one quart bag. I have never had a problem getting it through security.

What we do is have a 3 oz. bottle of contact lens solution in our one quart bag and then pack a larger bottle in our checked luggage. Surprisingly, for the type of case I use, that 3 oz. bottle will actually last me 8 to 9 nights. Unisol is a small enough saline solution for contact lenses that will also fit in the one quart bag. I have never had a problem getting it through security.

I think I just might do this. Thank you for the suggestion! :)

I wasn't trying to give a "bad example"....I assume that many people besides me use contact lenses and have experienced having to travel with the items needed to care for them? :confused:

Baloney.

"Declare larger liquids. Medications, baby formula and food, and breast milk are allowed in reasonable quantities exceeding three ounces and are not required to be in the zip-top bag. Declare these items for inspection at the checkpoint."

http://www.tsa.gov/311/index.shtm

Thank you. I was fairly sure I read that the prescriptions were safe; I just wasn't sure if they had to be new and unopened. I couldn't see how they could tell you that you can't take your prescriptions with you as was eluded in the previous post. :D

It's a 6 oz tube that has a box with the prescription label on it and the box matches the tube.

I wasn't trying to give a "bad example"....I assume that many people besides me use contact lenses and have experienced having to travel with the items needed to care for them? :confused:

Wow, people are harsh. Yes; people travel with contact lens solution. No; they don't/can't carry more than 100mL through security (bring a small bottles, and check the rest).

The TSA do not consider contact lenses as 'medically' necessity, and hence enforce the 100mL rule.

And yes, a larger contact lens solution bottle just about brought down a 747; so it's EXACTLY the kind of thing they're on the lookout for; and that's no baloney

I work for an ophthalmologist and "technically" contact lens solution is not a prescription, but OTC.

My suggestion, ask you ophthalmologist/optom for a "sample" bottle. It will usually come with a cl case also. They tend to be smaller and the doc usually gets them from their rep for free. Not sure if it's 3oz or less though. They are great for travel instead of hauling the larger ones you purchase. I had laser done so the lenses are a thing of the past for me!:D

If it is a prescription - like the cream - it is exempt - no bull.

But it doesn't have to be a prescription. TSA personnel are not always the brightest so they may not know, but...

"You may bring all prescription and over-the-counter medications (liquids, gels, and aerosols) including petroleum jelly, eye drops, and saline solution for medical purposes"

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/specialneeds/editorial_1059.shtm

Some manufacturers are still trying to educate some TSA people

"Although "saline solution for medical purposes" DOES include most products used with soft contact lenses, not all TSA personnel may know this. That's why 4 oz. bottles of OPTI-FREE® RepleniSH® and OPTI-FREE® EXPRESS® solutions now have "TSA Compliant" clearly marked on the label."

http://www.opti-free.com/soft-contact-lenses.aspx

The only thing they might have a legitimate issue with is whether or not it is a reasonable amount.

To avoid any confrontations with any ignorant TSA personnel, you might only have 3 oz containers of solution to carry on and the mother load in your checked baggage, but it is not technically required.

Even 2 oz containers of solution are available from places like minimius.biz.

I have used the medical declaration for sunscreen also. We do not check luggage ( even for a cruise, I pack light) and don't like to rush around finding sunscreen at my destination.

I have very sensitive skin and get a rash or irritation from most brands so I am very particular to my regular brand.

TSA has always been cooperative but I do make a declaration each time and remove the product and put it beside my zip-lock.

Sometimes they open it and swab it, sometimes the open it and smell it, sometimes nothing.

I actually got a note from my doc so I wouldn't have problems but have not yet had to show it.

You don't mention what brand of contact lens solution. The reason I bring this up is the interesting thread over on Flyertalk concerning "Clear Care" solution.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-safety-security/1010623-clear-care-contact-solution-banned.html

Here is an excerpt from one of the posts. It is from the Ciba Vision folks:

Thank you for choosing CIBA VISION products and contacting us regarding Clear Care®. Consumer satisfaction with our products is very important, and we welcome the opportunity to assist with your questions.

Clear Care® contains hydrogen peroxide which is on the list of TSA banned solutions; however, contact lens solutions are exempt and should be allowed for carry-on. Unfortunately, some airports and agents are more strict than others, and will not allow the solution to be carried on the plane. And although our Clear Care® travel size is TSA compliant, it is at the discretion of the individual TSA agent to allow the product to pass.

So, the old car disclaimer comes into play, "YMMV" (Your mileage may vary.)

A few years ago when I wore contacts (before cataract surgery), I transported Kirkland contact lens solution in the big bottle with my carry-on. The only thing consistent about TSA is their inconsistency.

Good luck.

I went out this afternooon to buy a new bottle of solution (I use Aquify) to take....and the bottle came packaged with a travel sized bottle (3 oz). Go figure! lol Just to be safe, I'm going to pack the big one in checked and bring the 3 oz in my baggie, which has plenty of room still. I guess I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I put the prescriptions in a separate bag (although it doesn't zip all the way) and I'll hand them to the screener to examine.

As a Clear Care user, when going carry-on only, I transfer it to a plain 3oz bottle. Into the "Kippie" it goes (see FT's Security forum for the genesis of that name for the plastic bag) and no one bothers to ask. If need be, I use two bottles.

If the peroxide concentration in my contact solution is enough to bring down a Boeing....well, I doubt if the TSA screening will matter much at that point. Reminds me of the line - If a guy is trained and talented enough to commandeer an aircraft with a pair of nail clippers, he probably doesn't need the nail clippers anyhow.

As a Clear Care user, when going carry-on only, I transfer it to a plain 3oz bottle. Into the "Kippie" it goes (see FT's Security forum for the genesis of that name for the plastic bag) and no one bothers to ask. If need be, I use two bottles.

If the peroxide concentration in my contact solution is enough to bring down a Boeing....well, I doubt if the TSA screening will matter much at that point. Reminds me of the line - If a guy is trained and talented enough to commandeer an aircraft with a pair of nail clippers, he probably doesn't need the nail clippers anyhow.

Believe it or not, as ignorant as I am about most flying related things I know about the Kippie. :D I totally agree with the line too. ;)

I have passed the age where some folks suffer from very dry eyes. I carry a selection of eye medicines to help with this problem. Tired of dealing with the TSA on the subject (why do you need so much and so many kinds?) I asked my eye doc for samples.

The samples are tiny with excessive amounts of packaging, but so far so good.

I put them in my Kippie bag.

I have passed the age where some folks suffer from very dry eyes. I carry a selection of eye medicines to help with this problem. Tired of dealing with the TSA on the subject (why do you need so much and so many kinds?) I asked my eye doc for samples.

The samples are tiny with excessive amounts of packaging, but so far so good.

I put them in my Kippie bag.

Wow....like a TSA agent is going to understand a medical condition and the needs to treat it. That's awful.

Wow....like a TSA agent is going to understand a medical condition and the needs to treat it. That's awful.

You bet.

After the 3rd or 4th time it happened, I resolved to change the size of the medicines I take along.

This plan will hope up until I run out of samples.

Since I don't wear contacts, I think I'm going to start carrying contact lens solution and fill out comment cards right and left on all the idiots who are incapable of following the simple guidelines on the TSA website.

AFAIK, airports are not required to use TSA security - they can terminate the contract with the morons and hire private security. Some airports are starting to do that. I would also suggest filing complaints with the airports themselves.

AFAIK, airports are not required to use TSA security - they can terminate the contract with the morons and hire private security. Some airports are starting to do that. I would also suggest filing complaints with the airports themselves.

Yep, just read a few days ago that one of our local legislators is proposing CHS use a private firm rather than TSA. I didn't realize until I read the article that it was an option.

Archived