Cruising on a Budget - Free, Discounts & Splurges

2FLGuys

As someone else answered, no, they dont provide free lemonade like other cruise lines do-I first cruised on Carnival and Royal and was used to making the lemonade/iced tea combo but had to change my ways once I converted to NCL ;)

As you and a few other posters mentioned, we also bring the little single-serve packets to mix with water. Crystal light now even has one made with Stevia (natural sweetener) for those folks who try to stay away from the chemical sweeteners in most of the drink mixes. They have a lemon-lime one that goes well with the iced tea onboard! :D Stevia does have a slightly bitter taste (to some, including me) but the lemon-lime covers that right up, lol, so I love that flavor.

Crystal Light with Stevia---I have to try it. Thanks again.

Great Idea. Thanks. Is the fridge filled with the pay soda, water, etc. Is there room for a few cans and bottles of water.

Yes, the fridge is filled. However, all you have to do is ask your room steward to empty the fridge and he/she will do it without any problem.

Martini Clinic is a good deal.

Beer Clinic, not so much. Unless you like to drink swill. Then, it's a good deal.

I have to disagree re: the Beer Clinic. On my Dawn cruise last fall, I thought I got great value for my $15 (+$2.25 service charge) investment. In addition to the 5 beers served (8 oz each - San Miguel, Kirin, Heineken, Newcastle Brown Ale, one other that I can't remember), the bar manager threw in popcorn, a Miller Lite T-Shirt for NFL opening week, a bar towel, a can cozy, a can opener, AND the Xtra-large NCL Dawn beer stein (1Liter?):D!

Now the French Wine Tasting I attended a few days earlier wasn't as great of a value for the same price. We just received samples (2 oz each) of 4 wines (two reds, two whites) and a plate of cheese, crackers & fruit:(.

I didn't partake of the Martini Tasting:p.

Stumbled across this link, most are good thru 12/2012

ENJOY!

http://www.ncl.com/csimages/121/369/...rtificates.pdf

Most everyone has already stated by best ways to save, the wine program and the 2 for 1 martinis. On the Jewel in Sept we got the half price margaritas, when the bartender mixed them there was extra left in the blend carafe. I said (jokingly) "You're not going to waste that are you?" He said "take a couple of swigs of your drink" He refilled my glass free of charge! Moral - Never hurts to ask!

ENJOY!

Most everyone has already stated by best ways to save, the wine program and the 2 for 1 martinis. On the Jewel in Sept we got the half price margaritas, when the bartender mixed them there was extra left in the blend carafe. I said (jokingly) "You're not going to waste that are you?" He said "take a couple of swigs of your drink" He refilled my glass free of charge! Moral - Never hurts to ask!

If you stick with the same bartender and tip extra (sometimes it costs less to tip extra), you will get extras without asking.

I went on on googled this and it looks so handy! My DH and I are liquor drinkers and would love to have some in our room at night for a night cap.. ;) Do you just put the rum runner in your handbag? Or is it sneakier than that? :eek:

DH puts them in pockets in shorts, in the waistband too (he's a bigger guy and has baggy clothes, and cargo pockets). They scan the bags, they send you through a metal detector - these are plastic. Work great! By the by, a $3 bottle of Rum may seem like a good deal - um, not! LOL

I have to disagree re: the Beer Clinic. On my Dawn cruise last fall, I thought I got great value for my $15 (+$2.25 service charge) investment. In addition to the 5 beers served (8 oz each - San Miguel, Kirin, Heineken, Newcastle Brown Ale, one other that I can't remember), the bar manager threw in popcorn, a Miller Lite T-Shirt for NFL opening week, a bar towel, a can cozy, a can opener, AND the Xtra-large NCL Dawn beer stein (1Liter?):D!

Now the French Wine Tasting I attended a few days earlier wasn't as great of a value for the same price. We just received samples (2 oz each) of 4 wines (two reds, two whites) and a plate of cheese, crackers & fruit:(.

I didn't partake of the Martini Tasting:p.

The beer tasting sounds like a good time but to be honest we are accustomed to trying 6 beers for around $5. Granted it is not 8oz glasses so we will have to consider that. The wine tasting sounds a little stiff though it all depends on who is doing the tasting. The Martini Tasting sounds like a train wreck waiting to happen if you ask me, but more than likely we will have to give it a try. ;)

ENJOY!

Thanks so much for the Link! If anyone is wondering the ... should be SavingsCertificates. I quickly browsed through them and didn't see anywhere that said it had to be original.

As a bartender I have always learned that a little extra tip can go a long way when it comes to bartenders pours.

DH puts them in pockets in shorts, in the waistband too (he's a bigger guy and has baggy clothes, and cargo pockets). They scan the bags, they send you through a metal detector - these are plastic. Work great! By the by, a $3 bottle of Rum may seem like a good deal - um, not! LOL

I looked into the Rum Runners as well as we enjoy a little liquor in our rooms. And in noway is a $3 bottle of rum a good idea. Spending a little extra will pay off by not having the headache the next day.

Thanks again for everyones insights. I think we are sold on the Spa package and are going to as many of the specialty restaurants as possible. I just love that concept. Thanks again and keep the ideas coming.

Thanks for the tip! And also a warning about the rum... :eek:

this was a fun thread to read- we were not planning to try a specialty restaurant onboard but if we can find a 1/2 price deal on night one the 4 of us may have to try one ;)

the martini tasting sounds fun too !

The specialty restaurants on board sound like they are truly a must do. Even if it is a splurge to do one of the $10 or $15 joints all the reviews agree that it is worth every penny. Also if you print the Savings Certificate's as linked in message #56 they have a deal for buy 2 meals in Le Bistro and get one Free in the Italian restaurant.

this was a fun thread to read- we were not planning to try a specialty restaurant onboard but if we can find a 1/2 price deal on night one the 4 of us may have to try one ;)

Hey werent you on Mariner in 2007? I was on that ship as well. I was at the Meet and Mingle, got there a few minutes late, but showed up.

That thread lasted forever..

Question re: tipping the bartender -- do you tip on your room key or do you tip cash?

thanks.

I've always found tipping cash is best however room key generally works as well.

Here are some interesting concepts for tipping. Some I agree with others are a little over the top. Tipping ideas for faster, better, and stronger drinks.

Hi everyone. Been reading the thread and found some interesting points and some I just didn't understand.

1) $3. bottle of rum? Rum runners are empty containers you buy and put whatever liquid you desire in them. The scanner (as of yet) cannot detect the shape. Just do not put anything in that checked bag that looks like a bottle. (Nobody likes to go to the "naughty room".:mad:

2) Get a batch of wine made before your cruise at your local winery thats about $3 a bottle when all is said and done - then the $15 corkage fee - voila your favourite wine for only $18 - quite the savings or just buy a box of wine - take the bag out of the box - flatten box - place in bottom suitcase - add the bag of wine - add clothes - get to stateroom - unpack clothes - put the box back together - add bag of wine - place on shelf in closet and voila another problem solved! Now it is hard to carry a glass of wine around and refill but for in your room - ah a nice glass of wine when you want it. 2 ideas

3) They do take the black & white printed copies of coupons. We did it on the NCL Dawn in Dec.

4) Bring lots of $1 bills for tipping everywhere you deem necessary. I know some say the $12 a day gratuties is enough - but a $1 here and there never hurts believe me.

5) If you do order a shot of liquor ask for no ice and along with that tip ask your server to fill it up. Get your mix and now voila 2 drinks - awe life is good eh?

5) Swedish weave I want to be on a cruise with you! That would be a hoot!

6) As the previous poster stated the $250 deposit is well worth it - I mean your going to more than likely take anothe cruise in the next 5 years and now you have $100 OBC for this cruise. To me it's a win win, I mean when you decide to take the next cruise your already $250 ahead

I am green with envy as you can see!:(

The specialty restaurants on board sound like they are truly a must do. Even if it is a splurge to do one of the $10 or $15 joints all the reviews agree that it is worth every penny. Also if you print the Savings Certificate's as linked in message #56 they have a deal for buy 2 meals in Le Bistro and get one Free in the Italian restaurant.

So two nights in Le Bistro + 2 coupons = 1 night free in the Italian restaurant. Not quite a true BOGO, but I can roll with that. Coupons onboard a cruise...it's a very good thing! ;)

But the regular coffee is horrible, the worst is on NCL. If you can tolerate instant, get your favorite instant and bring with - it is better than the regular ships coffee. Starbucks makes a decent instant.

I drink the ships regular coffee, but I doctor it up.

Best move we made on our last cruise was to bring our favorite coffee grinds and brew it in our room. We brought our own insulated travel mugs and would make our favorite coffee to drink on our balcony or up on deck early in the morning.....yum!

In our 14 days on the Pearl, we only ate at specialty restaurants three times. Once was for Cagney's cause i felt like a big old moo cow steak. Once was at Teppanyaki as a Cruise Critic group. And one was at Lotus Garden. We normally wouldn't have gone, but on the last night (of the first half of the cruise), we noticed the cover charges were 2for1, so we went.

Also as others have mentioned, there are 2for1 martinis every stinkin day. I think they were 5-7pm in Bar City. They have 2for1 martinis in the Star Bar as well, but they were pretty blah. Didn't include any of the fancy schmancy martinis.

Also just about every day, you can find some sort of free tastings. whether it's in the shops or the art auctions, you just have to read your freestyle daily to spot them.

btw, the best deal ever... the hot wings at Blue Lagoon. We would order them to go, then pad down to Spinnakers and watch the evening's entertainment while chowing down on them.

Another way to save...instead of buying the wine package, why not bring the wine you want to drink on board, and pay the $15 per bottle cork fee? I have to think it is cheaper to do it that way (plus you are getting the exact wine you like and want) than buying the NCL wine package. We plan to bring on 8 bottles! :) (But hey, I am a frugle shopper, so I get the wine at great deals in the first place, so adding the $15 cork fee still makes it a lot cheaper than the NCL prices)

Michelle

Do the wine boxes count as a bottle with just one cork fee?

They have two sizes of bottles. I have sampled both.:)

What is the Beer 411 in Rhoatan? Did I read something about a Honduran beer in a green can? Give us the hookup on the cut rate price in port on that one too, Luddite. Thanks for the tips, and the smiles.;)

I've always found tipping cash is best however room key generally works as well.

Here are some interesting concepts for tipping. Some I agree with others are a little over the top. Tipping ideas for faster, better, and stronger drinks.

When you order a drink on NCl there is a 15% autotip added to the bill, so you have already tipped on your room key. if you would like to tip above & beyond the 15%, there is a line for "extra tip" or I'd assume they won't refuse cash :>....but I wanted to be sure people are aware that they have already tipped 15%!

When you order a drink on NCl there is a 15% autotip added to the bill, so you have already tipped on your room key. if you would like to tip above & beyond the 15%, there is a line for "extra tip" or I'd assume they won't refuse cash :>....but I wanted to be sure people are aware that they have already tipped 15%!

That is the case on most cruise lines. I know for certain it is on NCL, Carnival, Holland America, Royal Caribbean and Disney - since those are the one's I have been on.

Archived