My Vegan Experience on the RCCL's Allure of the Seas

Thanks for the wonderful review! I just have one question. What type of flavor was the soy milk that you had on the Allure of the Seas? We plan to a cruise on the Allure this May, but I really concern about my 3-year old daughter who is allergic to milk and only takes vanilla flavored soy milk.

Glad to see this thread and thank you for all the photos and info. I am vegetarian (nothing with a face), and strictly adhere to it. From the info you have given it looks like there will be way more things I can eat then there is at a lot of restaurants we go to here. Love oatmeal with fruit and nuts, yum.

• 1 month later...

A BIG THANK YOU!! I am Vegan and will be cruising on the Allure at the end of April. I have cruised several times with RCCL and totally agreed that the curry get old after the first few days. We usually ask for grilled veggies or frequent the windjammer. Love the pics!!

Can't wait to try Rita's after your post!

Actually not all the breads/pasta have dairy or egg and a vast majority don't

I have never seen a bread recipe without eggs or dairy. Not to say it couldn't happen but I wonder, if similar to Badsealegs, you were told it was vegan just to make you feel better.

It is frustrating that many don't understand vegan and what that entails

I am vegetarian (nothing with a face

Perhaps many don't understand because there are so many "variations" to it. One friend is a vegetarian - defined as eating nothing that can crawl or walk. My stepmother identifies herself as vegetarian which is defined as nothing with beef in it. I understand vegan as nothing with animal products in it. I think that there are so few vegan/vegetarian cruisers and that is why the blank stare. I can't imagine trying to be vegan on a cruise ship. It seems like if you didn't prepare it yourself, you really don't know what is in it. I can bet that many dishes you were served in fact had animal based products in them. While they said the refried beans were vegan based, I will bet that no one looked at the label. They probably said that because they didn't add anything animal based. I am glad that they are at least trying to accomodate people's diets. It sounds like they did try to work with you to make sure you were able to eat what you want and enjoy your vacation. Thanks for the pics and review!:D

My biggest challenge on cruise ships has been that chefs are fond of sprinkling cheese on so many food items.

I have a similar problem, but on the other end of the scale: they like to sprinkle parsley on everything. Due to salicylates I can't eat any raw or undercooked vegetables/nuts/herbs/spices, and so constantly have to remind waiters to tell chefs to hold the plant garnishes. Even so, RCL has done an excellent job over the years accommodating my needs, so it comes as no surprise that they have a variety of options for vegans/vegetarians as well.

Believe me, there are tons of bread recipes without egg or dairy, many especially in mass production. And while yes, there is always the possibility there could be animal ingredients in what ate, as a vegan my goal is to make the best decisions based on information I know and have available. Also, I was never ill, and as a vegan, will usually get an upset stomach if something inadvertently has animal products in it as I have lost the ability to process animal enzymes which typically happens with vegans. I did in fact ask and was able to see the ingredients for the pizza dough used in sorrentos and others on the ship. Again, it's never a perfect process when I'm not in control of the food but my goal is always to do the best and make the smartest choices I can, and yes as a vegan I often ask and see ingredients to verify :)

As for soymilk it was the original, unflavored versions. You could though bring on some of the individual vanilla soy milk shelf stable packages - just be careful as we packed 2 4 packs in my daughter's luggage of the chocolate soy milk and that landed her bag in the naughty room lol and thy didn't believe that was the issue!

Thank you for the great review. My husband and I are both vegan and we are sailing the Allure in two weeks!! We emailed RC and will advise the Maitre D. I also agree with you...I find that MOST breads and pasta (especially dry pasta) does not include eggs or dairy. We sailed the Freedom last year and did not have a big problem at all....not as much variety but we were not complaining :) we had a great time and we didn't go hungry :)

The reason that there is confusion with what vegetarian/vegan means is because people use the term incorrectly. You are not technically a vegetarian if you eat only fish or you just don't eat red meat. It actually a very basic concept ;)

Thanks again!!!

Thank you for the great review. My husband and I are both vegan and we are sailing the Allure in two weeks!! We emailed RC and will advise the Maitre D. I also agree with you...I find that MOST breads and pasta (especially dry pasta) does not include eggs or dairy. We sailed the Freedom last year and did not have a big problem at all....not as much variety but we were not complaining :) we had a great time and we didn't go hungry :)

The reason that there is confusion with what vegetarian/vegan means is because people use the term incorrectly. You are not technically a vegetarian if you eat only fish or you just don't eat red meat. It actually a very basic concept ;)

Thanks again!!!

You're welcome!! Have a great time :)

• 2 months later...

Thank you for the wonderful review! My cousin and I are both vegan and will be sailing the Allure in September. The lasy cruise that my cousin went on she didn't really question whether there were any vegan options because she just didn't think it would be a possibility, so it's great to know that the staff were so accomodating.

I think that bread containing dairy/eggs is a common misconception if you haven't spent years looking at ingredients :) When I first became vegan I was bomoaning the fact that I wouldn't be able to eat bread... until I checked the pack! Most bread is vegan unless it's glazed with egg or something like that.

I also find pasta to be about 50/50, but of course we'll be sure to ask and will hopefully get the menu a day ahead.

I wonder whether you drank beer or wine and asked about whether the alcohol was vegan? Personally I stick with wines or beers that I know are vegan but if I drink an unfamiliar wine I tend not to ask. I know that there may be others though out there that might be a little more vigilant than me.

Just one more thing to clarify, the regular pizza base/crust isn't vegan, and we should specifically ask for a vegan version?

Thanks again for the wonderful review and beautiful pictures.

While soy boca burgers and soy milk do not make sense to me, I am glad to see you were able to enjoy your meals and were accommodated!

When meals are enjoyed everything is better!

Cheers!

;) LOL, reminds me of how my mother could not understand the concept of vegan burgers.

To the OP - I am glad RCCL goes out of its way to accomodate your needs.

Great info! Thanks for taking the time.

I don't think people realize how many vegetarians and vegans are out there! Many more each day . . .

Our daughter turned us on to two of our favorite VEGAN breads, both made by Arnold (I think): Real Jewish Rye and Stone Ground Wheat (?). We can buy them at our local supermarket.

PS-- I hate curry :mad::o

I completely agree that the solarium is a fantastic place for vegan food. Everything was very healthy and delicious. Lots of imaginative salads and daily gazpacho.

A suggestion to RCI: please add tofu hotdogs to the hot dog stand on the Allure. There were many different wursts. Why not a vegetarian option?

Lenore

triple like this.

To the OP, very interesting report! I eat vegetarian out of the house (eat kosher at home), and I've found that it's usually possible to get something tasty. I find the veggie food on RCI to be somewhat heavy (cream sauces and the like), which is definitely not what I'm used to eating every day. so it's nice to hear a review of the alternatives.

Very helpful post!

thank you so much for taking the time to post this! I slowly am finding myself heading towards becoming a vegetarian... Your pictures make me excited for our cruise in 2 weeks, that I will actually be able to get some yummy food without having to settle! :D:):D

Hasn't been mentioned yet, but unless the "vegan" dishes were prepared in a separate kitchen, the saute' pans, saucepans, serving trays, etc. were equally as likely to have been used to prepare dishes containing meat, cheese, egg, or dairy products both just before and just after the chef made your "vegan" dish. :o

Hasn't been mentioned yet, but unless the "vegan" dishes were prepared in a separate kitchen, the saute' pans, saucepans, serving trays, etc. were equally as likely to have been used to prepare dishes containing meat, cheese, egg, or dairy products both just before and just after the chef made your "vegan" dish. :o

True, but most vegans are content with cooking utensils that have been washed before use. I've even had maitre d's tell me- without my asking- that vegan meals are prepared with clean utensils (just as they would with any special dietary needs, such as allergies), and buffet chefs show me the clean pans and utensils they would be using to prepare my dishes.

Being a vegan is an ethical (and sometimes medical) choice. It's not like keeping kosher, where religion dictates the need for completely separate cooking and preparation surfaces.

What makes a wine or beer vegan? I've never heard this and am curious...

I applaud the OP's prep work and diligence in getting her dietary needs and wants met...it's very unrealistic to expect a mass market cruise line to have specialty items to accommodate every medical condition, nutritional choice, or diet-of-the-week whim. By doing a little leg work ahead of time you assured you'd have as many acceptable items as possible, kudos!

i have food intolerances to wheat and dairy.earlier this year sailed on IOS ,we let them know in writing beforehand.ive got to say the choice of food i could eat was really good.gluten free products available and soya milk available on request.we ate in windjammers at breakfast and lunch,plenty of bacon,eggs (which i can eat),beans and gluten free bread.loads of fresh fruit available too.there was no soya yogurt available though.at lunch we ate in windjammers too,spoilt for choice and fount plenty to eat.i did look at my husband with envy when he was eating the lovely looking desserts and cakes.didnt think there was alot of choice of these for me.at the evening meal in the main dining room was able to pick from the menu for the next night and was always able to find something.felt i did miss out on desserts though.thats probably no bad thing though when thinking about weight gain on a cruise! gluten free pizza available in sorrentos too.overall no complaints and have another cruise booked on IOS later in year.

not related to cruising but have also fount disney resorts very good too at dealing with food intolerances/allergies.

• 4 months later...
What makes a wine or beer vegan? I've never heard this and am curious...

When filtering the drinks prior to bottling, companies can use things like isinglass (from fish bladder,) gelatin, egg whites, and sea shells, among other things. These products grab onto the impurities and make it easier to catch them in the filters. Some folks also add honey or dairy.

My daughter is vegan and I was shocked to learn this.

I will report back after my Allure cruise next week with 2 anything eating foodies and one vegan and one vegetarian family!

I have never seen a bread recipe without eggs or dairy. Not to say it couldn't happen but I wonder, if similar to Badsealegs, you were told it was vegan just to make you feel better.

Have you ever made bread?

Most bread recipes are without dairy and egg - usually bread contains

wheat - rye - oat - yeast (or sourdough) - salt - bread spice and water.

Only sweet bread contains dairy and egg.

Wendy