Any CPAP users out there?

stillabrownsfan

Do you have any helpful tips for my husband and I (both CPAP users) about cruising with our CPAP machines? Do you bring distilled water with you? Are there electric outlets near the bed or do we need to bring extension cords? Any help will be appreciated :)

Many use the ships water for their CPAP, but my hubby is very picky about his machine and will only use distilled. All you have to do is to call or fax a request to fleet medical before your cruise, and Princess will supply you each with one gallon of water for your CPAP (no need to carry it onboard). There is no charge for one gallon, but several gallons for medical reasons could add a small charge to your shipboard account.

The fax number for fleet medical is: 661-753-0121

Edited-Oh, and I would pack a couple of extension cords, keep in mind there are very few plug ins in the cabins and the one farthest from it may need an extension cord. ;)

On our recent cruise, the distilled water was supplied. Our cabin stewart also asked if we needed an extension cord (I had brought my own.) I found that I only used a half gallon for the week - it was not a problem at all.

I bring an extension cord. There is usually only one outlet and that is across the room. I pack the ext. cord in the CPAP bag and carry on board the ship. At the airports now, you have to remove the basic unit from the carry bag for the security xray. I don't take the humidifier part with me on a cruise. I live in Arizona and need it at home, but on the ocean (in contrast) I find I do just fine without the humidifier. I always check out my mask for cracks or wear a couple of weeks before the trip and order a new mask if need be. I don't want to have a part break during the cruise. Have a great cruise!

I'm fortunate that I don't use the humidifier, so I don't have to deal with the distilled water. I always bring a 12-foot extension cord and pack it with my machine. This has been long enough for all of our cruises so far, even when the outlet is as far away from the bed as possible. I just unplug it every morning and stash the extension cord out of the way under the bed.

Also the TSA restrictions are important to know. Remove your CPAP machine from your carry-on and place it in a tray so the TSA agents can inspect it. And never ever put your machine into checked luggage.

You definitely don't need to bring the water with you. I always bring the extension cord also. The ship may have some, but it would be first come, first served and you'd be in a fix if they didn't have one for you. Make sure to have it packed on the top of your carry-on, because you will have to take it out for security at the airport. We've only had to take it out once at the cruise terminal, but the airports are very strict. They don't require you to take out the cord or hoses, so we keep those disconnected so that we only have to pull out the actual unit at the airport.

Do you have any helpful tips for my husband and I (both CPAP users) about cruising with our CPAP machines? Do you bring distilled water with you? Are there electric outlets near the bed or do we need to bring extension cords? Any help will be appreciated :)

I require CPAP on cruises. Based on the most recent six years on Princess ships, you will want to take an extension cord. For 2 CPAP machines you may also find it helpful to take one of those plugs that inserts into an outlet and converts it to three outlets. The 2 stateroom outlets are on the exterior wall and are not convienent with regard to where you will locate your CPAPs.

I have never used distilled water in my machine. Bottled water is available on the ship. That would be a step up for me. I use the ship's tap water. Have a nice cruise.

My nephew discovered another outlet under the bed on our recent cruise. He was turning the nightstand light off and the knob broke off, so it couldn't be turned off. He looked under the bed and discovered an outlet beneath the light switches on the wall above the bed into which the bedside lamps are plugged. I bet you could bring a multiple outlet extension cord and plug it in along with the bedside lamps. I think you have to be a bit flexible to be able to reach it, though, but it's worth checking as an alternative to having a cord strung across the cabin.

I don't use a CPAP, but I'm just curious about one thing. Isn't the ship's potable water supply made via desalination, reverse osmosis, and distillation of sea water? Wouldn't that be ok to use in a CPAP?

Many use it and think it is just fine for CPAP machines. But some people, like my DH, don't take a chance as all it takes is a simple request to fleet medical to supply the distilled water for it's use. Many CPAP users are very protective of their machine, and don't like risking any build up of minerals in them. ;)

My nephew discovered another outlet under the bed on our recent cruise. He was turning the nightstand light off and the knob broke off, so it couldn't be turned off. He looked under the bed and discovered an outlet beneath the light switches on the wall above the bed into which the bedside lamps are plugged. I bet you could bring a multiple outlet extension cord and plug it in along with the bedside lamps. I think you have to be a bit flexible to be able to reach it, though, but it's worth checking as an alternative to having a cord strung across the cabin.

We found under the bed, at the headboard wall, (that the lamps were plugged into), were not US outlets but "foreign" outlets (the round looking ones) even though were had the US outlets at the desk, but this may not be true on all ships...we used an extension cord for our clock

All great advice on here - hope you find it helpful.

ALSO - We just got off the Emerald last week. As usual, my DH took his CPAP as well as an extention cord. He uses tap water at home but goes without it on the ship and that works fine for him.

A great thing he discovered this time was that his device, new this year and the smallest one he's had so far, actually fit perfectly into the drawer of his bedside table, along with the mask and tube :D ! At night, he simply opened the drawer, plugged in the device (while leaving the device IN the drawer), and got the mask out. In the morning, he put the tube, mask and plug back in the drawer with the device. This was a great discovery, as it kept the bedside table clear for him to use for his glasses, magazine, drinking glass, etc. If your CPAP is small enough, try it out!

Thanks for all the info. My friend & I are both CPAP users, plus I use an oxygen concentrator. Because of all the power requirements that I have, we got a mini-suite. But the info on the plug under the bed is great. We will just make sure to bring a plug converter kit.

Trish

California Central Coast

Princess now allows Travel Agents to request extension cords for clients pre-cruise now....so ask your TA or call Princess to request them. They even now allow TA's to request the foam toppers for the beds! Woo hoo!

Thanks again everyone :) I have faxed my request for foam topper and top sheet already, and will have DH fax the request for the distilled water Monday. Will I get some kind of reply from Princess to let me know that the request got to the correct people?

Carol

Thanks again everyone :) I have faxed my request for foam topper and top sheet already, and will have DH fax the request for the distilled water Monday. Will I get some kind of reply from Princess to let me know that the request got to the correct people?

Carol

On the distilled water request include your email address. We have always received an email response telling us it has been approved and will be waiting onboard for us. Although recently, someone on our roll call did not get the email after faxing in the request (could have gone to their spam folder though).

About a month before our cruise, it shows up in our booking in the Princess personalizer in the 'Important Notices' section. Also, make sure to give the name of the passenger in need of the distilled water in the fax. We forgot to add which of us required it a year ago and they emailed saying they needed the actual passengers name to provide it, not just the booking number.

As for the foam topper, my request shows up in the Special Services section of my booking, also not usually until about a month before the cruise. The top sheet no longer is showing up, even though requested. I think they are now leaving that up to the room steward to provide, even if requested ahead of time.

DW is a CPAP user. Our experiences:

1 She doesn't use the humidifier when we're on vacation, so distilled water was not an issue.

2. When she first got the machine, she got a note from the prescribing doctor describing what the machine was ad that she needed t carry it aboard flights with her. Never had an issue with airport security US or abroad, and never needed to show the document.

3. On the Crown there was an outlet below the bed, as mentioned above. It was a two-prong Euro style (German configuration) outlet. I don't know the voltage... BUT, We had checked the power cord on her CPAP and it was marked - As MANY items are marked today - 120-240 Volts 50/60 Hz. Slang for that is a "smart" power supply. Simply, it means it will run on either US or "foreign" current. All you need is an adapter for the pins. Cost is about a dollar, and if your local electronics shop looks at you cross-eyed, you can order them through Amazon. Virtually all our electronics are smart power (or USB the latest trend), purchased both in the US and abroad. We carry a supply of adapters (both ways) and have never had any problems electrically.

On the Dream, I assumed that a plug would be right beside the bed as it was on the Paradise but it was not. I asked my steward for an extension cord and he admitted that he was amazed how many people in his area needed them. Since that cruise, I take an extension cord and a power stripe with me. I keep them with my CPAP bag, ready to travel.

As for water, the first night I use the expensive water that is available in the cabin. When I go to port, I look for water that is more reasonably priced. In St. Thomas, I purchased two bottles of a popular brand bottled water for what I paid for the single bottle on the ship. I prefer distilled water, only thing I use at home, but I take what I can get at sea.

DSCF1588.jpg

Power Strips are good when you only have 1 110 outlet

DSCF1584.jpg

In a short room you don't need the long cord.

Archived