Nervous Flyer...

LACEY2011

Yes, just an interruption to the normal routine and frustration at getting home late from the "office".

That's the benefit of experience and an understanding of the environment though ... You don't worry because its nothing unusual.

People who have a fear of flying in my experience are most affected by not knowing what's happening and are, therefore, unable to decide between the abnormal (0.000000001%) and the routine (99.999999999%).

MW

Yes, just an interruption to the normal routine and frustration at getting home late from the "office".

That's the benefit of experience and an understanding of the environment though ... You don't worry because its nothing unusual.

People who have a fear of flying in my experience are most affected by not knowing what's happening and are, therefore, unable to decide between the abnormal (0.000000001%) and the routine (99.999999999%).

MW

Yes, i think that is it in a nutshell!

I can't see the fear ever going away fully, but more exposure to flying helps and listening to rational explanations and reassurance without the teasing that you get from some people is invaluable, so thanks to you experts and to LACEY for starting this thread. :)

I absolutely hate flying with a passion and I dont know why as I used to fly regularly with my son in years gone by and never thought twice about it...

Some people say 'oh you must have had a bad experience but up until last year I really hadnt...

We flew BA last year for our cruse and it was the biggest plane Ive ever been on and for about 3 hours flying to miami I was thinking, wey hey, this is going to be fine, nice meal, a few drinks etc, when turbulence started...First of all it was fits and starts and then just continual for over 5 hours...I just did my best to keep myself occupied whilst my partner pretty muh slept all the way through it...We couldnt move, go to the toilet - Eventually people were throwing up, poor buggers...

The pilot only came on after we had landed to say we had arrived an hour earlier as we had this tail wind which you never get when you to miami but as a result there was also this unusual easterly wind which then in turn caused the turbulence and he hoped it didnt spoil out flight...:confused:

Coming back it wasnt as bad but was still fairly ropey...

Although I hear what everyone is saying about spending time at airports and learning about this and that, for me anyow none of it works...I hate every minute of it and although I take games, from cards to dominoes, watch films, drink, try and sleep (never happens), it never gets any easier, although I never show it...:D

|For me its just a means to getting there and I cant wait for the day when we take a holiday that doesnt involve flying, as I'm so over airports as well...That miami airport was a major dump and huge disppointment...

We're doing barbados this year and my sister is coming this time, so that will be quite good for me as she has never done a flight like that before, so I will have someone to look after and keep reassuring, so that will be good for me, I think...

Sorry for not posting positive thoughts but I feel your pain:)

There are different types of turbulence. There is turbulence caused by stormy weather, so if you are in cloud it can be very bumpy but doesn't last long, usually on descent. If there are very high thunder storms, then aircraft usually fly around them. Then there is clear air turbulence, you sometimes get it flying over mountains, can be very bad sometimes. There is also the type you describe with very strong winds. We once broke the record in a Boeing 707 back from New York. We were actually doing over 700 mph, aircraft doing about 500 and 200 mph winds up our backside!! yes it was bumpy. Hope that helps?

There are different types of turbulence. There is turbulence caused by stormy weather, so if you are in cloud it can be very bumpy but doesn't last long, usually on descent. If there are very high thunder storms, then aircraft usually fly around them. Then there is clear air turbulence, you sometimes get it flying over mountains, can be very bad sometimes. There is also the type you describe with very strong winds. We once broke the record in a Boeing 707 back from New York. We were actually doing over 700 mph, aircraft doing about 500 and 200 mph winds up our backside!! yes it was bumpy. Hope that helps?

Nooooo!! That makes things worse. It means that some of us haven't even encountered the worst type of turbulence and we still may do in the future :eek: ;)

Something I noticed that really scared me on my P&O Thomson flight from Barbados: people were still allowed to use the toilets and move around the cabin right up to just before we landed. The Captain had already announced crew prepare for landing in 5 minutes. The crew were late clearing up for landing as we had a meal served late due to turbulence (gulp) Seat belt signs had been on for quite a few minutes by then. No one batted an eyelid. I was really scared that they may not get back in time. They don't allow this on scheduled airlines, or not the ones I've been on anyway.

Well they should have been sitting down, but in reality sometimes things go wrong. In the old days (my days), I'm afraid I landed standing up a couple of times, but that was on little flights - Le Touquet being one of them - only 35 minutes and we did duty frees for the whole cabin.

If you had bad turbulence and they were late getting the meal out, it can happen. The passengers should have heeded the seat belt signs and the captain's warning. The crew need to ensure that the galleys are secure.

I have to say reading what everybody has put has made me feel so much better, and even reading the not so nice stories! I think the best thing all us nervous flyers can do is....

1-Be positive!

2-Focus on the destination.

3-Think of all the things that go right not wrong!

4-Be thank full you are on a plane ang going on a fantastic holiday, many dont :o

I have to say reading what everybody has put has made me feel so much better, and even reading the not so nice stories! I think the best thing all us nervous flyers can do is....

1-Be positive!

2-Focus on the destination.

3-Think of all the things that go right not wrong!

4-Be thank full you are on a plane ang going on a fantastic holiday, many dont :o

LACEY, come back to this thread on your return and tell us if this strategy worked! :D

Hi - I am also one of those flyers who nearly take my husbands hand off on take off holding it so tight!! Take off for me is the worse. I now do not go to bed the night before, so I am so tired on the plane I sleep most of the way.

Just think of the holiday!! Chris

Hiya

I am - no, sorry WAS, terrified of flying but I went on a "Flying without fear" course run by Virgin Atlantic a couple of years ago and it was brill! It included a 45 minute flight at the end of the day and was worth every penny (all 20000 of them!).

Whilst I don't think I will ever enjoy flying, I am no longer terrified and I would recommend anyone who is really afraid to try one of these courses. Other airlines run them as well as Virgin.

Hiya

I am - no, sorry WAS, terrified of flying but I went on a "Flying without fear" course run by Virgin Atlantic a couple of years ago and it was brill! It included a 45 minute flight at the end of the day and was worth every penny (all 20000 of them!).

Whilst I don't think I will ever enjoy flying, I am no longer terrified and I would recommend anyone who is really afraid to try one of these courses. Other airlines run them as well as Virgin.

But you have to have a flight to nowhere...... with not even a holiday at the end of it........ :o.

Hello all,

I am an Airline Captain on B747-400 for a well known European international Airline.

Let me first say that there is no shame in being scared while flying. A lot of passengers have fears in some ways when sitting in an aircraft. It has to do with not being in control, being outside your comfort zone and not knowing what happens around you.

However, there is absolutely no reason to be afraid of flying.

Flying is the safest mode of transport save using the elevator. This is mainly because of the over engineering of our aircraft and the extremely thorough training that all crew receive.

Pilots are tested at least every 6 months in the simulator for all kinds of combinations of emergencies. These scenarios are without exception more difficult and challenging than what we would ever encounter inflight. Every system and failure is reviewed and procedures practiced with a very low tollerance for errors. If we fail, we lose our licence and/or job.

Every couple of months, we have to redo theoretical examinations covering subjects from aircraft systems to air law, meteorology and aerodynamics. All of us are intelligent people who have studied for years before flying you to your destination.

Every year (or from the age of 40 every 6 months) we undergo a stringent medical check.

If you have any questions regarding flying , don't hesitate and ask. I will give you a reply.

Safe flying,

Despegue

Thank you for posting Despegue. I have flown all over the World, on many different airlines. I understand the concept of flying and why/how planes stay in the air. My fear doesn't stop me but makes for some very uncomfortable hours in the air.

In good weather, with little or no turbulence I manage fine and get off the plane wondering why I am so afraid, but at the first sign of turbulence I am rigid with fear. Turbulence has been addressed in the earlier posts but there are a few other questions I would like to ask:

1, How can you be sure the landing gear will come down everytime? Once we start our descent, I hold my breath until I hear the wheels lock in place.

2, How important is visibility for landing? Going through thick clouds and rain on landing is terrifying for me. I always consider myself lucky to be alive if we land safely :o

3, Coming in to land sometimes the plane is very wobbly and doesn't seem to be stable enough to land? Is this because of the wind direction?

4, Why are some landings really bumpy and others so smooth that you can barely feel the landing?

I guess speaking to the passengers from the flight deck is a very small part of your job, but some of us are hanging on to your every word and it can make a big difference to our comfort, so please keep those important updates coming.

Hello U2cruiser,

1)The landing gear is going down by gravity and being supported by the hydraulic systems (of which every airliner has at least 2)
The landing gear is in fact an extremely reliable system and I have never seen any problem with them in real life. In the very unlikely event that one gear would not be coming down as usual, we have an alternative procedure in place to solve that issue. And in a last case resort, and this is an extremeely rare occurence, the pilots are trained to land with one or more landing-gears up. We have special procedures just for that occasion, we are trained for it and able to land.

2) In principle, most airliners these days can land in about 0 meters of visibility if the airport has the necessary equipment installed.
For example, the B747 can safely land through the automatics in weather that puts road traffic to a stop. It is THAT accurate. Pilots are trained on a regular basis to monitor the autopilot systems specifically for this procedure, and are trained to deal with any kind of failure during this automatic landing. Remember that we pilots do not look outside during landing (and actually the whole flight) but fly purely on instruments. Rain or clouds don't bother us usually. We can fly however using just visual cues. This is called a visual approach and is being performed at, for example, some Greek Islands where this is the only way to land or if the weather is nice and sunny...

3) Sometimes, when there is a lot of wind, that wind tries to blow the aircraft off course or make the landing a little bit bumpy. Pilots have been dealing with this kind of weather since their first days of training. What happens is that the pilot flying (either the Captain or First Officer) corrects any wind induced course changes. This is all safe and IF the aircraft would not be "stable" ,that is speed, thrust, rate of descend, heading and altitude within a certain (very little) box (allowance) before getting lower than 1000 ft. (300 meters), the aircraft will go-around and try again or divert to an airport where the weather is better. This go-around is a normal procedure, is perfectly safe and is practiced and performed very often. Every minute, lots of go-arounds are flown worldwide.

4) Landing is always the most crucial part of the flight, and several things are being considered before making a landing smooth or "bumpy".
First of all, In rain or snow, you must put the aircraft on the runway in a firm manner to avoid any aquaplaning (there are formulas to calculate the exact speed when aquaplaning can occur). Also, the shorter the runway, the less space and time there is to "flare" (round-out the descend, so smooth the touchdown) and the firmer the landing. In cross-wind (wind blowing from the side) conditions, we also want to put the aircraft on the runway in a firm way to avoid being blown off course on the runway.
So a soft landing is not always a good landing. Boeing even recommends a firm landing in all cases.
Even some aircraft types have a firmer landing feeling than others. eg. The B767 has its landing-gear designed in such a way that really smooth touchdowns are nearly impossible, weather a landing with an Avro Regional Jet will mostly be a kiss-landing.

We do try to keep our passengers updated as often as possible. however, there are some things to consider. One of these is the fact that a lot of our passengers do not want to be awoken by PA's. especially at night. During some phases of the flight, like the approach, or a missed-approach or a contingency, we are very busy in the cockpit and must focus on safely operating the aircraft and only then communicate with the passengers.

I hope these answers somewhat explain the issues you have, I do apologise if it is somewhat unclear, English is not my native language.
Feel free to keep the questions coming,

best regards,

Despegue

Thank you for addressing my issues so carefully. I feel much happier about the landing gear and about visibility.

I had no idea about number 4. Never read anything about that before and have never heard of 'aquaplaning'. It will certainly help during my next landing and of course, it makes a lot of sense. I'm afraid I always put it down to good pilot and not so good pilot :(. Now I am better informed.

Thank you again and your command of English is excellent.

A couple of tips: if you're nervous at take-off, have a bet with your partner as to how many seconds it's going to take for the plane to leave the ground. Start timing when the plane is at the end of the runway, then starts to roll. It can be as little as 25 secs. for a small plane, to 40+ for a massive, full plane. This always takes OH's mind off the take-off, especially if the bet means he's buying the drinks....
If you have an inhaler, you may find that the low level of oxygen creates a breathlessness, and a touch of panic about flying. Try your inhaler...it works for my friend.
Jo.

What a good answer and if English is not your first language, then fantastic, BUT you are a pilot, so therefore speak English all the time! LOL

When I was flying - we said "Any landing that you walk away from is a good one"!!

I was always ready for a hard landing in rainy weather as I knew they must put it down firmly, and once we were down we would go up to the Flight Deck and rate the guys like they do in skating competitions.

4 for technical merit
2 for artistic impression

Jean

Thank you Despegue, it was very interesting to know all those things. Landing doesn't really worry me as we are near the ground! I'm far more nervous taking off and do count in my head! I also look around hoping their is someone more nervous than me and that always makes me feel better :D I hate turbulance, the slightest jolt and I think we are about to fall out of the sky, it's my poor husband I feel sorry for! I can't begin to say how much this thread has helped and reading how normal turbulance is has put my mind at rest. I hope I still feel this positive in 2 weeks!!

Totally understand your fears but you just cannot be as bad as i am!!!! I have never liked flying and never will but no pain no gain. After a really bad experience ( which i won't go into ) i decided i just couldn't do it again...until my doctor suggested i take a small amount of diazepam which he prescibed. It has helped me no end. It doesn't knock me out...just calms me down enough to cope with it....about to do a 14 hour flight to singapore and without my small amount of diazepam, there is not a chance in hell of me getting on the big silver beast. Try it you won't be sorry

[quote name='padiho']gain. After a really bad experience ( which i won't go into ) i decided i just couldn't do it again...[/quote]

....Now you're making me nervous! :eek:

The good thing about us nervous flyers in this thread, is that it doesn't stop us and we face our fears head on :D

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='LACEY2011']Well its not long till I go now and I still feel calm ha ha. Just remembering all the positive thoughts on this thread :D[/quote]

Just think of all the reassuring insights from the experts in this thread as to why we are safer up there than down here, even when flying through turbulence :eek:. I am kind of looking forward to my next flight so I can test my confidence :D

Have a good flight and cruise. Don't forget to come back to this thread to tell us if it worked LACEY.

Archived