Do you like the new changes to the C&A Points System?

EVALUATOR

Do you like the new C & A changes just announced?  

1,233 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the new C & A changes just announced?

• Yes, I am satisfied.
    • Yes, it is even better than I expected.
    • Well, I can live with it, but.......(and then explain in a post on the thread)
    • Yes, the benefits are much better.
    • Yes, I have WAY more credits than I thought I would!
    • Frankly, nothing makes me happy. I am the biggest grump on Cruise Critic.
    • No. I will NEVER get to the next level now!
    • NO. Just NO. I am so sick of the whole thing. NO.

Best wishes on a very fast and minimally painful recovery from your surgery.

Bob

Thanks Bob. I am doing quite well right now and therre is no pain whatsoever nor discomfort. It's those darn drops that have to go in every hour today that are a real pain.

My points worked out to be pretty close to my actual days. However I know several members were given several "hundred" points more than their actual days. These members are obviously very happy with the point conversions. I say good for them......enjoy the bonus. However with members such as yourself that have lost points I think that the extra points should be give if you can document the lost "points".

I would think that it would be a bit of a burn knowing others got several hundred "extra" yet you lost 110. IMO....Anyone with "actual" days greater than the points given should have their "true" days converted to points.:)

It's unfortunate that RCI didn't contact you to help establish this new point system. You are using logic..............something RCI didn't.

And you are right, those with all those "short" cruises made out quite well I would say.

I agree with what others have posted. If you were just one cruise short of Diamond, then the conversion would cause you to STILL be one cruise short of Diamond.

That's not strictly true for all. We had 7 cruise credits. We are doing a 13 night cruise in May in a GS suite. That would have given us 3 cruise credits making us Diamond after that cruise.

Our 7 cruise credits have converted to 52 points. Our 13 nights in the GS will give us a further 26 points for a total of 78 points. Not enough to make us Diamond. So now we won't make Diamond level until after our October cruise.

We are Diamond status anyway due to being Elite on Celebrity, but it still means it will take us one cruise longer to get to the next level - as we had to start from zero points when we started cruising with RCI.

I am three cruises away from Diamond---or I was. Now I am 5 cruises away.

I was looking at a 5 day cruise in March on Navigator as a single passenger. I had 2 24 holds in place as I mulled over the new point system. I was about to pay double for my room because I am single, but that would still leave me three 7-day cruises away from Diamond.

With 7 RCCL cruises under my belt, I agree with a previous assessment that it is the 7 cruise folks who got ripped off the most. Ideally, I should remain 3 cruises away, or at least, I should get double points for paying double to sail as a single passenger.

I was within reach for Diamond status, and now it is a big time stretch, especially as a single passenger. My loyalty to RCCL may be ending......

After my cataract surgery this morning and a re-calculation we actually lost 110 points!:(

But we do understand why they calculated the way they did and even though we are not happy about losing all those points, we'll just suck it up and forge ahead.

My points worked out to be pretty close to my actual days. However I know several members were given several "hundred" points more than their actual days. These members are obviously very happy with the point conversions. I say good for them......enjoy the bonus. However with members such as yourself that have lost points I think that the extra points should be give if you can document the lost "points".

I would think that it would be a bit of a burn knowing others got several hundred "extra" yet you lost 110. IMO....Anyone with "actual" days greater than the points given should have their "true" days converted to points.:)

I agree. We made out like bandits under the conversion since we took many short cruises while Monarch was in LA (and we'd take many more if they'd bring a ship back!). I understand that the C&A computer has its limitations, but if you can document your extra 110 days, they should give them to you. You're certainly as loyal to RCI as we are...

Patti, have you approached C&A or even somebody in corporate? And I hope you recover quickly from your surgery!

Originally Posted by ken3028 viewpost.gif

Since we got bit by the cruise bug 7 years ago my wife and I have sailed on RCI 9 times, 6 of those on a 3 or 4 day Majesty itinerary. We live in So. Florida and it's incredibly convenient for us to do this.

We are booked on Majesty the weekend of 6/10 for a big birthday celebration and the cruise we thought would make us Diamond members. Well, here's where I disagree that no one was downgraded. We were allocated 76 points under the new system. With that as a starting point, we will now be 1 point shy of Diamond after this cruise. Unless something is changed, we will not be Diamond until a subsequent cruise. In my mind, we were downgraded.

I am going to plead my case to C & A gU and see what happens. We've been "Loyal to Royal" because we like to curise with them and the perks it has given us. If this isn't handled well, we'll have to review our loyalty.

Th

We'll see what happens. :mad:

I can see the change going forward, it is a fair system. But for the people that have been cruising on the old system and planned out the cruise credits based on that, it does not come out fair across the board. I think the customer service representatives should be given authority to manually correct the point system on a case by case basis.

Ken3028, I would appreciate it if you could post the response you recieve from C&A.

My advice to you and anyone else who feels raw about all of this is to work with them. I was very upset after the changes, but they have fixed our problems and now I'm happy. Obviously it will be case by case, but the worst they can say is no. :)

That's not strictly true for all. We had 7 cruise credits. We are doing a 13 night cruise in May in a GS suite. That would have given us 3 cruise credits making us Diamond after that cruise.

Our 7 cruise credits have converted to 52 points. Our 13 nights in the GS will give us a further 26 points for a total of 78 points. Not enough to make us Diamond. So now we won't make Diamond level until after our October cruise.

We are Diamond status anyway due to being Elite on Celebrity, but it still means it will take us one cruise longer to get to the next level - as we had to start from zero points when we started cruising with RCI.

You are absolutely right that there can be extreme exceptions. Like yours.

The VAST majority of cruisers are not sitting on 7 credits, expecting ONE cruise to get them to the next level.

But just think of what a wonderful time you will have on your May and October cruises! That's why we all cruise - for the great cruising experience, right? ;) :)

conversion of cruises to "cruise points" I don't understand why all Platinum members were not treated the same, here is an example from the rccl conversion tool. at 6 cruises you get 45 points, at 7 cruies you get 52 points then at 8 you get 69 points, 17 points more than 7 cruises, How is that fair and equitable? Why were all Platinum members not treated equally during the conversion? I hope they will review the points conversion and make it fair for ALL!!

You are absolutely right that there can be extreme exceptions. Like yours.

The VAST majority of cruisers are not sitting on 7 credits, expecting ONE cruise to get them to the next level.

But just think of what a wonderful time you will have on your May and October cruises! That's why we all cruise - for the great cruising experience, right? ;) :)

Absolutely :D - but the conversion is still flawed. I believe the changes have come about (for the better) to fairly award points for longer cruises (as opposed to awarding a 3 day and an 11 day cruise the same credit). However, it appears from the postings here that it is all those that took those longer cruises that have lost out on the conversion, and all those that took the shorter cruises have gained. I thought that was the reason for changing the program - and yet still those who took those shorter cruises seem to be the happiest here. Glad for them, but it doesn't help those that took longer cruises when the change is meant to make it better for them. The conversion itself still rewarded the short cruisers when that was the problem in the first place (I believe from all the discussions here).

I guess I don't get it. I received one point for a 3 night cruise I took on a local favorite 5 miles from my house. I knew I would only receive one point for my then upcoming 10 night cruise that I had to travel over 3 hours to get to. Did not have a problem with that.

At the end of the 10 night, as I was sitting on 9 points, I would have become Diamond with 10 points. As it stands, my 9 points being re-figured to 76 points, will then be added with the 10 points that I earned with the 10 night I just disembarked from. Will now be at 86 points, which is 6 over to make Diamond.

Same difference....I will be Diamond no matter which way it was figured. Am I happy?

You darn betcha!! :D Does the new point system make a difference to me....ummm...no.

Absolutely :D - but the conversion is still flawed. I believe the changes have come about (for the better) to fairly award points for longer cruises (as opposed to awarding a 3 day and an 11 day cruise the same credit). However, it appears from the postings here that it is all those that took those longer cruises that have lost out on the conversion, and all those that took the shorter cruises have gained. I thought that was the reason for changing the program - and yet still those who took those shorter cruises seem to be the happiest here. Glad for them, but it doesn't help those that took longer cruises when the change is meant to make it better for them. The conversion itself still rewarded the short cruisers when that was the problem in the first place (I believe from all the discussions here).

No, the conversion was correct. The program, up to 1/21/11, was that you gained 1 credit per cruise (with a bonus for 12+ and JS and up). This is the program everyone ran under all that time. A person had who got to "x" cruises got there whether they took 3-night, 11-night, 12-night, whatever. Everyone followed those "rules" in the program. They decided to do new rules on 1/21. Should they retroacively change the rules in the past then? If you had a certain number of credits, you got there in good faith under the current system, so why should someone be rewarded or penalized retroactively? Which is basically what you want to do there.

You are then also rewarding people with extra credits who took longer cruises before 2003. RCCL did not go and retroactively give extra credits for people who cruised 12+ length cruises when they added that credit bonus then. But you want to do it now? What about peope who took suites before 2004? Should RCCL go back and find all the people who did so, so they can gain extra nights?

The basic example is the laws of our country. If they pass a new law, you don't go back and arrest someone who did not follow that law in the past. RCCL did the exact method they SHOULD have done for the conversion, which is to treat people who had followed the current system to that point equally.

I agree. We made out like bandits under the conversion since we took many short cruises while Monarch was in LA (and we'd take many more if they'd bring a ship back!). I understand that the C&A computer has its limitations, but if you can document your extra 110 days, they should give them to you. You're certainly as loyal to RCI as we are...

Patti, have you approached C&A or even somebody in corporate? And I hope you recover quickly from your surgery!

We did not lose nights..........we lost points when they converted our cruise credits into points.

We got 7 points for each cruise credit like everyone else, plus a bonus of 13. Unfortunately, for us, more than half of those cruise credits were for cruises that were 11+ days or longer.

Those on the other hand that took short cruises were also given 7 points for each cruise credit........so it seems that they were rewarded for taking shorter cruises.

Nobody is going to be happy when all is said and done. There was really no fair way to do it unless they counted actual days at sea for each and every member...........which would have been impossible.

Thanks for the kind words Jean, my surgery went well and I am feeling great. Ya just gotta love Valium and Jackson Juice.:D

No, the conversion was correct. The program, up to 1/21/11, was that you gained 1 credit per cruise (with a bonus for 12+ and JS and up). This is the program everyone ran under all that time. A person had who got to "x" cruises got there whether they took 3-night, 11-night, 12-night, whatever. Everyone followed those "rules" in the program. They decided to do new rules on 1/21. Should they retroacively change the rules in the past then? If you had a certain number of credits, you got there in good faith under the current system, so why should someone be rewarded or penalized retroactively? Which is basically what you want to do there.

You are then also rewarding people with extra credits who took longer cruises before 2003. RCCL did not go and retroactively give extra credits for people who cruised 12+ length cruises when they added that credit bonus then. But you want to do it now? What about peope who took suites before 2004? Should RCCL go back and find all the people who did so, so they can gain extra nights?

The basic example is the laws of our country. If they pass a new law, you don't go back and arrest someone who did not follow that law in the past. RCCL did the exact method they SHOULD have done for the conversion, which is to treat people who had followed the current system to that point equally.

Steve, thank you for that analogy. (I can't believe that I didn't think of it! :eek: :o ;))

It is probably the most spot-on post for all of these protests.

Steve, thank you for that analogy. (I can't believe that I didn't think of it! :eek: :o ;))

It is probably the most spot-on post for all of these protests.

I concur...........most logical post since Friday!:D Now I don't feel so bad!!:p

We did not lose nights..........we lost points when they converted our cruise credits into points.

We got 7 points for each cruise credit like everyone else, plus a bonus of 13. Unfortunately, for us, more than half of those cruise credits were for cruises that were 11+ days or longer.

Those on the other hand that took short cruises were also given 7 points for each cruise credit........so it seems that they were rewarded for taking shorter cruises.

Nobody is going to be happy when all is said and done. There was really no fair way to do it unless they counted actual days at sea for each and every member...........which would have been impossible.

Thanks for the kind words Jean, my surgery went well and I am feeling great. Ya just gotta love Valium and Jackson Juice.:D

Patti, are you saying that after your "credits XXX" were converted to "points YYY", you computed that you have actually spent YYY + 110 nights on board Royal Caribbean ships?!?!?!?! :eek::eek::eek:

We are very happy plus they upgraded us to Pinnacle. Couldn't ask for much more. However, Diamond Plus was great also. It took a long time but we made it and then an upgrade! Awesome. We are very loyal to RCCI. So, I guess we are quite happy.

Absolutely correct. I'm still waiting for a reply from RC. The longer it takes, the less loyal we feel.

Addict, I saw you were on the Adventure for the transatlantic crossing in November. We were on that too. How long did it take before you were able to get off the ship in SanJuan.

We are very happy plus they upgraded us to Pinnacle. Couldn't ask for much more. However, Diamond Plus was great also. It took a long time but we made it and then an upgrade! Awesome. We are very loyal to RCCI. So, I guess we are quite happy.

Congratulations. May I ask how they upgraded you to Pinnacle?

I have to say that I found the gushing tone of the email announcing the changes to be a bit cheesey and pure spin. Nobody is better off and no doubt the onboard discounts will be as petty as the $25 credit for booking another stateroom! Come on! $25! How insulting is that! Now $25 off one of those miserable 3 day Bahamas jaunts may be proportional but when, or if, I book during the expensive holiday season $25 really is quite insulting - doesn't even buy an $8 bottle of Mondavi Merlot (marked-up accordingly).

I think I will continue to ramp up credits with Celebrity thankyou.

Looks like you live up to your name. Hope you enjoy the cruises you take.

[quote name='cruisenfever']I am doing quite well right now and therre is no pain whatsoever nor discomfort. It's those darn drops that have to go in every hour today that are a real pain.
[/quote]
You're right , the drops are a real pain, but follow the instructions exactly and the results are great. I've been through it twice. Good luck and speedy recovery.

[quote name='ARCruisinNana']You're right , the drops are a real pain, but follow the instructions exactly and the results are great. I've been through it twice. Good luck and speedy recovery.[/quote]
Thanks Nana............Jim is my eye drop specialist and he's been doing an amazing job!

[quote name='cruisenfever']After my cataract surgery this morning and a re-calculation we actually lost 110 points!:(

But we do understand why they calculated the way they did and even though we are not happy about losing all those points, we'll just suck it up and forge ahead.[/quote]

Patti,

I wish a very fast healing and no problems for you! I had the same surgery over two years ago (both eyes, about one month apart) and was so happy with the results. It is so wonderful to be able to see when I wake up without having to reach for the glasses first.

Archived