Do you like the new changes to the C&A Points System?

EVALUATOR

Do you like the new C & A changes just announced?  

1,233 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the new C & A changes just announced?

• Yes, I am satisfied.
    • Yes, it is even better than I expected.
    • Well, I can live with it, but.......(and then explain in a post on the thread)
    • Yes, the benefits are much better.
    • Yes, I have WAY more credits than I thought I would!
    • Frankly, nothing makes me happy. I am the biggest grump on Cruise Critic.
    • No. I will NEVER get to the next level now!
    • NO. Just NO. I am so sick of the whole thing. NO.

While I am happy with the new system of points, I am still a bit frustrated over my predicament,which I haven't seen posted anywhere on these bb's. There are so many threads, but I don't think I saw anyone post my situation. Here's the deal. In 2006 I contacted RC to say that by my calculations we were now diamond. I was told their records did not show ALL the cruises I told them we had been on. Keep in mind that I am talking about four people in our family who were on each cruise, except for one family member, who missed one. They asked if I could verify all our cruises. So..I sent in verification in the form of clearly marked photos with dates, passengers lists (remember when they used to have those?), ticket stubs, etc. you name it, I had it for each of us..except once again, the one cruise that one of our family missed. It was more cruises than needed to qualify for Diamond status. By return mail, they notified us we were all indeed diamond. After that, when I looked at cruise history on RC's website, I noticed that although ALL of the cruises were to Bermuda (yes, every single one of them) their records listed them as various locations (even though I showed documentation, etc. that they were all to Bermuda and even the cabin numbers for each cruise for each of us.) I called RC again and was told, it didn't matter, we were diamond and that was the all that was needed was that which was shown. Okay. Now, in 2011 with the change, of course, 3 of us found that we were not given credit for some of the earlier cruises we had been on (that were documented in 2006). Oddly enough the family member who had missed the one cruise, was given the points for that cruise and 2 others that we were not. After speaking to 3 different reps for RC, I am still not making any progress. Yes, I will continue to cruise on the ships, but just feel that having already proved our previous trips, 3 of us were not given the cruise credits and the one who missed one cruise was given the points we all should have had. Sorry if I confused anyone, it's confusing to say the least. All in all, we love RC and Celebrity. Fair is fair...and of the four of us, only one received the correct points/credits. Jousting at windmills is not for me anymore but wonder if anyone else had a similar predicament? Thanks for listening...I feel better. :) Swiss

Find it interesting that no one else seems to have this problem as mentioned above. It's just frustrating not to be given the correct points for what you have already proven you sailed. Your thoughts would be appreciated, but please try and not be super negative. Thanks. Swiss

Find it interesting that no one else seems to have this problem as mentioned above. It's just frustrating not to be given the correct points for what you have already proven you sailed. Your thoughts would be appreciated, but please try and not be super negative. Thanks. Swiss

Sorry about your problems with C&A. In the days leading up to the change, a suggestion was posted to print your cruise history screen. Did you do that? If so, it would save you a lot of trouble now. If not, do you still have all of the info you provided to them back in 2006? If so, why don't you just send it again, and tell them to refigure your cruise points based on the correct number of cruise credits you should have had.

Sorry about your problems with C&A. In the days leading up to the change, a suggestion was posted to print your cruise history screen. Did you do that? If so, it would save you a lot of trouble now. If not, do you still have all of the info you provided to them back in 2006? If so, why don't you just send it again, and tell them to refigure your cruise points based on the correct number of cruise credits you should have had.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have a printed copy of my cruise credits prior to 1/21, however, they were incorrect as they did not list all of our cruises. When i contacted C&A about that (way before 1/21) they told me it didn't matter as the credits shown were enough to qualify as diamond. Now they tell me that everyone was given "bonus points" which they explained is the number of credits times 7 plus 13. 13 being the so called bonus points. I say they need to add my missing cruise credits and then calculate them times 7 plus 13. I have the original documentation from 2006 showing proof of all of our cruises but they are telling me it doesn't matter, no more cruises will be added. I have photocopied everything AGAIN and sent them along to C&A. Don't think much is going to happen and I am not asking for something we don't deserve - just want credits for what we truly sailed, not what their records incorrectly show. I have spoken with three different C&A reps and get similar answers. And they keep talking about the DaVinci system and how they did not have records of cruises before that...I'm stymied! Thanks,

swiss

I am disappointed because if the computer can track my previous cruises, why can't they award me points for the actual number of nights I sailed instead of just assuming they were all 7 night? This method, as I am sure was pointed out in the previous 27 pages of posts, rewards those with shorter cruises and penalizes those with longer than 7 nights. This now puts me two cruises away from the second tier, which I am just not that interested in making. :( When I called C&A to discuss this, I asked if they were taking feedback and the representative mentioned that she had pages of comments to report.

I hear ya ! The kicker is that all NEW post conversion C & A members will get FULL credit for the number of days they sail. The C- Monster who feasted on / ate many current C & A members days at Sea should have been exterminated long before conversion day :rolleyes:

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have a printed copy of my cruise credits prior to 1/21, however, they were incorrect as they did not list all of our cruises. When i contacted C&A about that (way before 1/21) they told me it didn't matter as the credits shown were enough to qualify as diamond. Now they tell me that everyone was given "bonus points" which they explained is the number of credits times 7 plus 13. 13 being the so called bonus points. I say they need to add my missing cruise credits and then calculate them times 7 plus 13. I have the original documentation from 2006 showing proof of all of our cruises but they are telling me it doesn't matter, no more cruises will be added. I have photocopied everything AGAIN and sent them along to C&A. Don't think much is going to happen and I am not asking for something we don't deserve - just want credits for what we truly sailed, not what their records incorrectly show. I have spoken with three different C&A reps and get similar answers. And they keep talking about the DaVinci system and how they did not have records of cruises before that...I'm stymied! Thanks,

swiss

For what it's worth, I agree with you. It makes no difference if you have enough to be diamond, diamond plus or whatever. Your cruise credits converted to cruise points should be correct because that would make it fair and square how you qualify for future upgrades at the very least.

Do they think it's alright because you got bonus points? Well, I got the bonus points and so did everyone else. So, you are still stuck back where you don't belong.

I was able to have my overlap cruise partially corrected and it was obvious to me that the person I spoke with at C&A didn't have a full grasp of how the conversion worked or how credits were applied.

Also, on my cruise immediately after the overlap cruise (it was a B2B) the LA announced the top 3 cruisers which included us although of course not as #1 and when she said how many cruise points we'd have with that current cruise...she added ONE cruise point. I didn't call her out....it would be TEN more cruise points since it was a 5 day cruise in a suite. :rolleyes: LOL Did she really think we were only getting one point for that cruise or was she stuck in cruise credit mode? Of course she didn't understand that we also qualified for the glass block on that cruise either since we only needed 5 points for that cruise to get it - meaning we'd have gotten it even if we hadn't been in a suite. Now I get to deal with C&A mailing it to me. Good luck to me - although it will be my 3rd RD block so I'm not losing sleep over it. :p

Gina

I hear ya ! The kicker is that all NEW post conversion C & A members will get FULL credit for the number of days they sail. The C- Monster who feasted on / ate many current C & A members days at Sea should have been exterminated long before conversion day :rolleyes:

What is the C- Monster? Is C for conversion?

Gina

... we also qualified for the glass block on that cruise either since we only needed 5 points for that cruise to get it - meaning we'd have gotten it even if we hadn't been in a suite. Now I get to deal with C&A mailing it to me. Good luck to me - although it will be my 3rd RD block so I'm not losing sleep over it. :p

Gina

I see they still have not gotten any crystal blocks on board Radiance. Same thing happened to us on RD last Dec 16. Still waiting for the block.

Bob

I see they still have not gotten any crystal blocks on board Radiance. Same thing happened to us on RD last Dec 16. Still waiting for the block.

Bob

I think I read somewhere that they don't even have them in stock in Wichita, where I think they come from. I wonder if we can ask for a different ship. I sure would love to have an Enchantment block since that is where I earned my 20th cruise credit and apparently they were giving them out on the ship at that time, not to mention it was my favorite ship at the time, too.

Gina

I think I read somewhere that they don't even have them in stock in Wichita, where I think they come from. I wonder if we can ask for a different ship. I sure would love to have an Enchantment block since that is where I earned my 20th cruise credit and apparently they were giving them out on the ship at that time, not to mention it was my favorite ship at the time, too.

Gina

Hey, Gina! Heading back to OUR favorite ship tomorrow. First time I'm back since Julian's been gone. :)

Yael

Hey, Gina! Heading back to OUR favorite ship tomorrow. First time I'm back since Julian's been gone. :)

Yael

Hey Yael!!!! I've been thinking about going all the way up there for a December cruise. I think I'd feel so sad to not see Julian though. Maybe I'll make that booking on board my next cruise. I just used up my only next cruise certificate today on an August cruise. I KNEW I should have gotten more of those "next cruise" certificates. :)

Have a fun time. Do some reports on FB - you know I'll see it if you post it there. I want to share in your fun at least a little bit - post something!

And they still have JS availability on your cruise for $1899 pp. Not bad for such short notice. I wish I could do it. I wish I could AFFORD to do it. :D

Gina

Hey Yael!!!! I've been thinking about going all the way up there for a December cruise. I think I'd feel so sad to not see Julian though. Maybe I'll make that booking on board my next cruise. I just used up my only next cruise certificate today on an August cruise. I KNEW I should have gotten more of those "next cruise" certificates. :)

Have a fun time. Do some reports on FB - you know I'll see it if you post it there. I want to share in your fun at least a little bit - post something!

Gina

Where on FB would I post it? I'm not a huge FB user. I will try, however. I'm excited to be going back.

Yael

Where on FB would I post it? I'm not a huge FB user. I will try, however. I'm excited to be going back.

Yael

Just post something in your status update. Tell us you are there. Tell us what you are drinking. Tell us your current port. Of course you need internet access to do it. That's how I waste my 45 free minutes D+ coupon. :)

Gina

For what it's worth, I agree with you. It makes no difference if you have enough to be diamond, diamond plus or whatever. Your cruise credits converted to cruise points should be correct because that would make it fair and square how you qualify for future upgrades at the very least.

Do they think it's alright because you got bonus points? Well, I got the bonus points and so did everyone else. So, you are still stuck back where you don't belong.

I was able to have my overlap cruise partially corrected and it was obvious to me that the person I spoke with at C&A didn't have a full grasp of how the conversion worked or how credits were applied.

Also, on my cruise immediately after the overlap cruise (it was a B2B) the LA announced the top 3 cruisers which included us although of course not as #1 and when she said how many cruise points we'd have with that current cruise...she added ONE cruise point. I didn't call her out....it would be TEN more cruise points since it was a 5 day cruise in a suite. :rolleyes: LOL Did she really think we were only getting one point for that cruise or was she stuck in cruise credit mode? Of course she didn't understand that we also qualified for the glass block on that cruise either since we only needed 5 points for that cruise to get it - meaning we'd have gotten it even if we hadn't been in a suite. Now I get to deal with C&A mailing it to me. Good luck to me - although it will be my 3rd RD block so I'm not losing sleep over it. :p

Gina

Gina, I so appreciate the fact that SOMEONE understands my point. Thank you. I am not asking for something for which I (and we) have not earned. the annoying part is just as you said - no RC rep seems to understand my dilemma - they keep telling me I got "bonus points" - well, as you said, so did everyone else - I would just like the correct cruise credits to be converted. I would think it would be so simple, but apparently, it is not. My family bought and paid for those cruises they haven't given us credit for and just would like the credits for them. Oh, well it's beginning to look like a losing battle. Thanks again for your response. Happy cruising to you, Gina!

Swiss

My comment is years ago Royal Caribbean said they would accept Celebrity passengers status as they own both cruise lines. He have 9 cruises for 109 nights (plus one suite) on Celebrity and 5 cruises for 43 nights on Royal Caribbean.

They did honor making us as Diamond to match Celebrity Elite for which we are grateful.

When they went to the new counting system we get 36 cruise points.

As told on the phone we stay at Diamond (YEA) but get

0 nothing for the four day to long ago (1997)

11 for the 14 days because as they stated "we were not counting them for 14 days then (1998)

11 For 11 day

7 for 7 day

7 for 7 day

They add up by RC to 36 not 43 nothing for Celebrity 109 nights as far as new cruise points. Guess we will never make plus.

=

This whole thread is fascinating. Imagine how many people there are who cruise to get points and glass blocks. Having vacationed on ships for 50 years, we have always cruised based on itinerary and ship ammenities. I never thought about the fact that there were those who decide on a vacation based on the perks that will be given. I have wondered sometimes why there is an attraction to back to back cruises instead of a single cruise that is twice as long. Now I get it. The same can be said about those who travel repeatedly on one cruise line instead of experiencing many different ships of many different companies.

This board is great in so many ways. There is so much we all learn about cruising and each other. I have enjoyed reading through this thread today. So many different choices for so many different reasons. One thing we all have in common is a love of the sea. Ah, until the next time........

EM

This whole thread is fascinating. Imagine how many people there are who cruise to get points and glass blocks. Having vacationed on ships for 50 years, we have always cruised based on itinerary and ship ammenities. I never thought about the fact that there were those who decide on a vacation based on the perks that will be given. I have wondered sometimes why there is an attraction to back to back cruises instead of a single cruise that is twice as long. Now I get it. The same can be said about those who travel repeatedly on one cruise line instead of experiencing many different ships of many different companies.

This board is great in so many ways. There is so much we all learn about cruising and each other. I have enjoyed reading through this thread today. So many different choices for so many different reasons. One thing we all have in common is a love of the sea. Ah, until the next time........

EM

You're making some assumptions about why people cruise and with what cruise line they choose. Having been on four different cruise lines - we found we loved RC and Celebrity. If a glass block or getting credit for cruises is important to some people, so be it. There are far worse things in life....

But you are right about we all have a love of the sea - happy cruising to you!

• 1 month later...

RCCL made a wonderful attempt at being fair with the new point system; however, the chart is flawed with the conversion between 7 and 8 credits to 52 and 69 respectively. Overall, the chart was generous to most. A little more thought should have been used to alleviate that jump step.

Under the "old" system a etched Plexiglas ship block came with your 20th, 40th etc cruises. The Conversion made 19 cruises 146 points, 29 cruises 216 points etc. But the new Rules say "A commemorative gift will be delivered to you during the sailing on which you attain your 140, 210, 280 and 350 cruise points and on every 70 cruise points thereafter." This means that all of the people with 19, 29 etc cruises under the old system were "jumped over" the commemorative gift threshold. Is RCI still giving you the gift on your next cruise? [No surprise that I am in this category having 19 cruises, and had been looking forward to my first ship block]

Thom

Under the "old" system a etched Plexiglas ship block came with your 20th, 40th etc cruises. The Conversion made 19 cruises 146 points, 29 cruises 216 points etc. But the new Rules say "A commemorative gift will be delivered to you during the sailing on which you attain your 140, 210, 280 and 350 cruise points and on every 70 cruise points thereafter." This means that all of the people with 19, 29 etc cruises under the old system were "jumped over" the commemorative gift threshold. Is RCI still giving you the gift on your next cruise? [No surprise that I am in this category having 19 cruises, and had been looking forward to my first ship block]

Thom

Friends of ours went on the Allure in January.

They had 29 credits that converted to 216 points.

The Allure cruise was their 30th credit cruise, and they did get the commemorative block on that cruise.:)

Thom

It's not plexiglas. It is lead crystal.

• 1 month later...

Please forgive me if this has been asked and answered. I have attempted to find information in the threads.

We haven't sailed RCCL for a while, but were about to book a cruise for this summer, so I signed in to my Crown and Anchor Society account and converted our three cruises to points. We have sailed on three 9 day cruises on RCCL. When I converted, I received 22 points. I think I may have misunderstood, but I thought that the new system was supposed to be based more on the number of days sailed, yet I believe that I would have received 27 (3 cruises x 9 days each) points for our sailings if that was the case. I e-mailed RCCL and was told that our conversion was correct. Is this correct? typical? Are people ending up with fewer than the days sailed in the conversion process? Most of the posts seem quite happy with the new system, so I was wondering if I missed something.

I'd appreciate any advice or comments. Thanks to all! (Again, I'm sorry if I'm bringing up an "old" topic, but I just discovered this.)

Please forgive me if this has been asked and answered. I have attempted to find information in the threads.

We haven't sailed RCCL for a while, but were about to book a cruise for this summer, so I signed in to my Crown and Anchor Society account and converted our three cruises to points. We have sailed on three 9 day cruises on RCCL. When I converted, I received 22 points. I think I may have misunderstood, but I thought that the new system was supposed to be based more on the number of days sailed, yet I believe that I would have received 27 (3 cruises x 9 days each) points for our sailings if that was the case. I e-mailed RCCL and was told that our conversion was correct. Is this correct? typical? Are people ending up with fewer than the days sailed in the conversion process? Most of the posts seem quite happy with the new system, so I was wondering if I missed something.

I'd appreciate any advice or comments. Thanks to all! (Again, I'm sorry if I'm bringing up an "old" topic, but I just discovered this.)

The new system and the old system are totally different.

In the past, you received a "credit" for a cruise. You could receive an extra "credit" for that cruise if you were in a JS or above, or if it was 12 nights or longer.

When they converted, they changed to a "nights sailed" system.

But they did NOT go back and count your nights sailed.

They took how many cruise credits you had and multiplied times 7, then added a little. Someone like you who had only cruised for LONGER than 7 days, lost. Someone who had taken mainly 3 and 4 night cruises won big time.

Thus, your 3 cruises have become 22 cruise POINTS.

Theoretically, you were 2 cruises away from Platinum, and you still are two 7 night cruises from Platinum.

Edit: Oops.

Sorry.

Since 30 points is the entry point for Platinum, you only need 8 nights at sea to make Platinum now.

The new system and the old system are totally different.

In the past, you received a "credit" for a cruise. You could receive an extra "credit" for that cruise if you were in a JS or above, or if it was 12 nights or longer.

When they converted, they changed to a "nights sailed" system.

But they did NOT go back and count your nights sailed.

They took how many cruise credits you had and multiplied times 7, then added a little. Someone like you who had only cruised for LONGER than 7 days, lost. Someone who had taken mainly 3 and 4 night cruises won big time.

Thus, your 3 cruises have become 22 cruise POINTS.

Theoretically, you were 2 cruises away from Platinum, and you still are two 7 night cruises from Platinum.

Edit: Oops.

Sorry.

Since 30 points is the entry point for Platinum, you only need 8 nights at sea to make Platinum now.

I totally agree and feel a little screwed based on the fact that the 2 and 3 nighters made out like bandits and the people like us got screwed! the should have diveded the 7 nighters by 2 or 3 then converted the points!

Friends of ours went on the Allure in January.

They had 29 credits that converted to 216 points.

The Allure cruise was their 30th credit cruise, and they did get the commemorative block on that cruise.:)

Lucky them. I was in the exact same scenario last month. No block for me.

Archived