Platinum~Emerald~Diamond~Diamond Plus~Pinnacle Balcony Discounts as of Jan. 21, 2011

My TA was told that I cannot get the discount with a group rate. Did you actually get a discounted cabin or did you pay the normal rate? This cabin is $300 less than the current price on the RC website. ...

To my knowledge, a TA does not get access to "discounted" rates on Royal. The TA does have the ability to hold a block of staterooms at the then current rate. Some months later, the price on those staterooms may go up, but the TA can still sell the staterooms at the lower rate in effect when they first held the block. So it appears that the TA has lower rates, but they are just the regular rates from earlier.

We booked our Allure stateroom direct from Royal while on a cruise. We later transfered the booking to a TA, who was later able to create a group. We kept our balcony discount and on board credit.

To my knowledge, a TA does not get access to "discounted" rates on Royal. The TA does have the ability to hold a block of staterooms at the then current rate. Some months later, the price on those staterooms may go up, but the TA can still sell the staterooms at the lower rate in effect when they first held the block. So it appears that the TA has lower rates, but they are just the regular rates from earlier.

We booked our Allure stateroom direct from Royal while on a cruise. We later transfered the booking to a TA, who was later able to create a group. We kept our balcony discount and on board credit.

What did the TA get by creating a group? Some amenities (OBC?), but you likely ended up paying the same price you were originally paying.

While it is true that in most cases, travel agents do not have access to discounted rates (and everyone always says that you pay the same no matter where you book), in some cases apparently it is possible for them to have a deal with discounted cabins. I cannot post the info here because it would require linking to a TA's site but if you email me I can send you the link and you can check it for yourself. My email is my screen name here at gmail.com. And when I booked my Solstice cruise a few months ago with a popular Internet agency, they also had cheaper cabins than Celebrity's website.

Edited by MisterBill99

I think that I would ask your TA to recheck with RCI regarding the info they were given. You are most definitely eligible for a balcony discount on your cruise. I see nothing in the fine print that says a group rate makes you ineligible for your balcony discount.

If you are receiving $300 from your TA because they have put you in a group, then it appears that the TA is not willing to also deduct your balcony discount.

The price I'm being quoted is $300 less (per person) than the rate for the same cabin at RCI's website. And they're giving me OBC. But they can't get the Platinum discount to apply, and when they contacted Royal they told them it was not possible.

Since I posted here, I noticed they also have an oceanview cabin rate of $1549, which is $250 less (again, per person) than elsewhere, so I am considering booking that instead, since it would save me almost $800 per cabin and make the cruise price at least reasonable, since I'm not going to get the balcony discount.

The fine print does say "This offer cannot be used with certain restricted fares and is not combinable with any other promotion or offer" so it's certainly possible that they are considering the group rate to be one of those.

Edited by MisterBill99

What did the TA get by creating a group? Some amenities (OBC?), but you likely ended up paying the same price you were originally paying....

The perks for creating a group vary by sailing. On Royal, the minimum group is usually 8 staterooms. With 8 staterooms (double occupancy), the TA gets the equivalent of one fare (1/16 of the total fares) free. They can share this with their clients or keep it. Our TA shared the credit with us. Sailings may also have a different number of GAP points, which the TA can use to give OBC, cocktail parties, etc. Our cruise had no GAP points.

What did the TA get by creating a group? Some amenities (OBC?), but you likely ended up paying the same price you were originally paying.

While it is true that in most cases, travel agents do not have access to discounted rates (and everyone always says that you pay the same no matter where you book), in some cases apparently it is possible for them to have a deal with discounted cabins. I cannot post the info here because it would require linking to a TA's site but if you email me I can send you the link and you can check it for yourself. My email is my screen name here at gmail.com. And when I booked my Solstice cruise a few months ago with a popular Internet agency, they also had cheaper cabins than Celebrity's website.

Just a heads up, but posting this is against CC Guidelines.

Edited by cruisenfever

Based on his post it looks like he knew that already.

From the CC Guidelines "Offering to email someone your travel agent's name or info is also not allowed, nor is asking members to email you for the information".

When he posted "if you email me I can send you the link and you can check it for yourself" then this was in violation of CC Guidelines.

From the CC Guidelines "Offering to email someone your travel agent's name or info is also not allowed, nor is asking members to email you for the information".

When he posted "if you email me I can send you the link and you can check it for yourself" then this was in violation of CC Guidelines.

You are correct. My apologies.

I did not do it as an effort to make a referral. I only did it because no one seemed to believe that it was possible for an agency to have a lower price for a cruise than the cruise line itself (I was surprised myself). Since I'm not allowed to send the link to anyone, I guess no one will be able to verify that such a situation exists. My apologies for any indiscretion. In any event, no one has emailed me, anyway.

Edited by MisterBill99

The perks for creating a group vary by sailing. On Royal, the minimum group is usually 8 staterooms. With 8 staterooms (double occupancy), the TA gets the equivalent of one fare (1/16 of the total fares) free. They can share this with their clients or keep it. Our TA shared the credit with us. Sailings may also have a different number of GAP points, which the TA can use to give OBC, cocktail parties, etc. Our cruise had no GAP points.

True, I forgot about that. I remember many years ago my former TA told me that the 10th cabin would be free and that he would make that discount available to me.

I did not do it as an effort to make a referral. I only did it because no one seemed to believe that it was possible for an agency to have a lower price for a cruise than the cruise line itself (I was surprised myself). Since I'm not allowed to send the link to anyone, I guess no one will be able to verify that such a situation exists. My apologies for any indiscretion. In any event, no one has emailed me, anyway.

Just didn't want you to get in trouble.:)

• 1 month later...
Effective January 21, 2011....here is a breakdown of balcony discounts per cabin for Platinum, Emerald, Diamond, Diamond Plus and Pinnacle Members as well as OBC being offered when booking on board.

Platinum Balcony Discount When Booking More Than 6 Months From Sailing Date:

$ 50 * for sailings of 3-5 nights

$100* for sailings of 6-9 nights

$200* for sailings of 10-14 nights

$200* for sailings of 15+ nights

Emerald Balcony Discount When Booking More Than 6 Months From Sailing Date:

$ 75 * for sailings of 3-5 nights

$125* for sailings of 6-9 nights

$225* for sailings of 10-14 nights

$225* for sailings of 15+ nights

Diamond Balcony Discount When Booking More Than 6 Months From Sailing Date:

$125* for sailings of 3-5 nights

$225* for sailings of 6-9 nights

$325* for sailings of 10-14 nights

$325* for sailings of 15+ nights

Diamond Plus & Pinnacle Balcony Discount When Booking More Than 6 Months From Sailing Date:

$150* for sailings of 3-5 nights

$250* for sailings of 6-9 nights

$350* for sailings of 10-14 nights

$350* for sailings of 15+ nights

*When booking less than 6 months from sailing date subtract $25 from each dollar amount.

OBC From Booking On Board

$25 for sailings of 3-5 nights

$100 for sailings of 6-9 nights

$150 for sailings of 10-14 nights

$200 for sailings of 15+ nights

Is this still the current balcony discount program?

Is this still the current balcony discount program?

Yes it is.

The only recent change is that if you make any changes to a booking within 6 months of departure like taking advantage of a price reduction prior to final payment or upgrading after final (yes, paying them more money), the balcony discount will be reduced by $25.

Edited by cruisenfever

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I will admit to not reading all 14 pages of this post so I am sorry if this was covered.

Can you combine a balcony discount with a C&A certificate?

No, and the certificates are gone now. The certificates have turned into automatic discounts you see only when you are logged into the website and checking prices of a cruise. The website will show the best price, based on whether the balcony discount or C&A discount is higher.

Edited by clarea

No, and the certificates are gone now. The certificates have turned into automatic discounts you see only when you are logged into the website and checking prices of a cruise. The website will show the best price, based on whether the balcony discount or C&A discount is higher.

Well that is interesting, I just used a Cert for the cruise I took in December. I guess there are a lot of changes going on at RCCL.

Well that is interesting, I just used a Cert for the cruise I took in December. I guess there are a lot of changes going on at RCCL.

I believe the last certificates expired Mar 31, 2014. Electronic versions appeared a week or two into April.

So then when you price it through the web site under special offers then you can not also add the balcony discount too???

So then when you price it through the web site under special offers then you can not also add the balcony discount too???

Actually, the system will (or is supposed to) add the better of the balcony discount or C&A coupon discount. You can't have both.

When you're logged in and look at pricing, the balcony discount will be included in the price you are shown. Look at the price details and you'll see it.

The special offers shown on the C&A site are often just the balcony discount.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Forums mobile app

Edited by MisterBill99

• 5 months later...

Does anyone know the answer to this? I booked a 7night cruise on board a past cruise and booked only an inside cabin. So I received the $25 OBC. Final payment has passed and the price has dropped and I was able to call and change to a balcony cabin for no extra cost. Should my OBC change from $25 to $100 now? Just curious since I have a balcony cabin now. Or does it only go by what I originally booked at the time on board. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Does anyone know the answer to this? I booked a 7night cruise on board a past cruise and booked only an inside cabin. So I received the $25 OBC. Final payment has passed and the price has dropped and I was able to call and change to a balcony cabin for no extra cost. Should my OBC change from $25 to $100 now? Just curious since I have a balcony cabin now. Or does it only go by what I originally booked at the time on board. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I would think that you should have gotten the additional OBC. BUT, RCI has no many hidden policies that are not published or available to the general public. I would call C&A (1-800-526-9723) and find out.

Effective March 15, 2014, the new OBC amounts when booking a Next Cruise on board (formerly known as a Future Cruise booking).OBC is per cabin.

Length of

Cruise ............... Interior.............. Oceanview.............. Balcony .............. Suite*

5-7 days .............. $25 ..................... $50 ...................... $100 ................. $200

8-10 days ............ $50..................... $100...................... $150.................. $250

11-14 days........... $75 .................... $150 .................... $200...................$300

15 + days ........... $100.................... $200...................... $250...................$400

*Includes JS cabins and above

Edited by cruisenfever

You should get the OBC based on the balcony. Call whoever booked your cruise and ask them to fix the OBC.