Help needed please

Hi there,

I will be leaving with my family on the Libery of the Seas for 8 nights in Feburary.

I have a question of curiousity.

I have been on RC Before but that was in 2004 and have been on Costa every years since and i know all cruise lines have different guildlines for formal nights.

I will be having 2 formal nights on this cruise and i would like to know. Would you recommend me taking a floor length gold dress that i have. i do have an above the knee tight red formal dress as well but i am debating taking 2 instead of wearing one twice. so i'm wondering is it common to see people in floor length dresses. I can post a photo on my profile of the dress if you need a visual.

Thank you :))

I've hardly seen anyone wearing full length gowns on formal nights on cruises. However, on my cruise on Liberty last May I saw TONS of them! My mom and I sat outside the Pub in the Promanade and watched all the women going by in their gowns. Beautiful! Bring both. Something that gorgeous would be noticed, so I wouldn't wear it twice.;)

Hi there,

I will be leaving with my family on the Libery of the Seas for 8 nights in Feburary.

I have been on RC Before but that was in 2004 and have been on Costa every years since and i know all cruise lines have different guildlines for formal nights.

I will be having 2 formal nights on this cruise and i would like to know. Would you recommend me taking a floor length gold dress that i have. i do have an above the knee tight red formal dress as well but i am debating taking 2 instead of wearing one twice. so i'm wondering is it common to see people in floor length dresses. I can post a photo on my profile of the dress if you need a visual.

On Liberty, you will find anything from full length formal gowns to above the knee cocktail dresses, to others wearing nothing that could be considered formal. My suggestion is to dress as formal as you like. If you like to dress up, go for it. If you don't, keep it more casual. You will fit in no matter the level of formal dress. There are all types on board. I always dress as formal as possible, without wearing a tuxedo. I would rather be the guy who is overdressed, than the ones wearing camoflauge cargo shorts and a t-shirt.

I've hardly seen anyone wearing full length gowns on formal nights on cruises. However, on my cruise on Liberty last May I saw TONS of them! My mom and I sat outside the Pub in the Promanade and watched all the women going by in their gowns. Beautiful! Bring both. Something that gorgeous would be noticed, so I wouldn't wear it twice.;)

Really? I see women in long dresses on formal nights every cruise - lots of them - and I am one of them!

Young women tend to wear very short very tight very ruffly dresses.

:)

Really? I see women in long dresses on formal nights every cruise - lots of them - and I am one of them!

Young women tend to wear very short very tight very ruffly dresses.

:)

Yes, seriously. I've seen them, but not as many as I saw on my last cruise on Liberty. IMO, if you have them, good excuse to wear them:D And surprisingly it was young women who were wearing the gowns on Liberty instead of those short tight numbers;)

It's been my experience that long gowns are about 50% of the "formalwear" for women....some cocktail dresses, some evening pants...and then, the folks in "sunday" clothes (which are NOT "formal"!)

You cannot be too "formal" on formal night, so wear what you like...

Cocktail dresses should still be "elegant"...not "club wear"!

I have 2 beautiful floor-length gowns that my husband bought for me for formal nights on cruises. I wear them every time. I LOVE dressing up and looking beautiful. It's a chance to leave an ordinary life behind and feel like you're in a dream. Do it for yourself.

Hi there,

I say if you have the room in the suitcases, bring both! A great reason to dress up in finery!

And surprisingly it was young women who were wearing the gowns on Liberty instead of those short tight numbers;)

Maybe it was a quinceanera cruise group?

Would you recommend me taking a floor length gold dress that i have. i do have an above the knee tight red formal dress as well but i am debating taking 2 instead of wearing one twice. so i'm wondering is it common to see people in floor length dresses.

On all of my cruises, long gowns have definitely been in the minority. On some cruises I see only 1 or 2, though I do tend to see more the longer the cruise is. It's FORMAL night though, so take your gown and enjoy, as it is truly FORMAL wear, unlike many of the hoochie-mama dresses that you tend to see on formal night. ;)

It's been my experience that long gowns are about 50% of the "formalwear" for women....some cocktail dresses, some evening pants...and then, the folks in "sunday" clothes (which are NOT "formal"!)

You cannot be too "formal" on formal night, so wear what you like...

Cocktail dresses should still be "elegant"...not "club wear"!

I will apologize in advance for anyone who will be offended next week on the Freedom for me wearing my "Sunday" clothes. Sorry that they are not 'formal' enough folks. These are the most formal clothes I own. I was not about to go out and buy formal dresses to wear one single time. And yes I will be eating in the main dining room. A dress that is clean, tidy and looks nice and is good enough to wear to worship is good enough to wear to eat dinner with a room full of strangers. Even judgmental strangers!

Archived