Making the 8:41 train from Civitavecchia to Rome

dijid

Glad to hear that! We are hoping to do a very similar day in July. A few questions:

Do you take the train all the way to Termini or did you get off at an earlier stop?

What train station did you use to leave Rome?

Which train station to use depends on where you want to go first, and where you want to go last.

Which station to use for several of the key sites can be found in this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1237189&highlight=how+rome+train

Glad to hear that! We are hoping to do a very similar day in July. A few questions:

Do you take the train all the way to Termini or did you get off at an earlier stop?

What train station did you use to leave Rome?

Did you buy your combo tix for the Forum/Colloseum at the Palatine Hill or somewhere else?

Did you go into the Vatican Museums/Sistine Chapel or just the basilica?

What time did you have to return to the ship?

Was the train crowded?

Thanks

We got off at Ostiense and transferred to the Metro. Got off at Circo Massimo. Purchased tix at Palantine Hill (NO line). We ended our day at St. Peter's, so we took the train back from the San Pietro station (15 min walk from Vatican). We got on a train that left that station at 4:00pm, even though we didn't have to be on board the ship til 6:30. The train was not crowded. We could have taken the train that left at 4:30, but everyone was getting tired.

We did not go to the Vatican Museum/Sistine Chapel. However, I think we could have fit it in - if we didn't have 3 kids under age 12, and if we had made a few changes to the day, especially omitting the sit down lunch. Here's how I'd suggest doing it:

1)Take train to Ostiense/Metro to Circo Massimo. Purchase tix at Palantine Hill. Enter here, but walk to Forum. (Don't waste time touring Palantine Hill.)

2) Tour Forum and exit towards Colosseum

3) Tour Colosseum (remember you can skip the lines as you already have a ticket)

4) Walk to Pantheon and tour. If you pass a church on the way, you can take a cursory look only (although there are some *beautiful* churches in this area that are hard to pass up)

5) When hungry, grab a sandwich, or slice of pizza to go.

6) Walk to Trevi Fountain. (Skipping Piazza Navonna from our original itinerary)

7) Walk to Spanish Steps

8) Take Metro to Vatican Museum

9) Eat gelatto before entering

10) Tour Vatican Museum and exit from Sistine Chapel into St. Peter's Basilica (there are directions on the internet of how to do this)

11) Run through the Basilica before heading to train station.

I honestly think you could cover all that ground in 6 hours, but it would have to be a fairly fast pace. Hope your day in Rome goes smoothly.

We got off at Ostiense and transferred to the Metro. Got off at Circo Massimo. Purchased tix at Palantine Hill (NO line). We ended our day at St. Peter's, so we took the train back from the San Pietro station (15 min walk from Vatican). We got on a train that left that station at 4:00pm, even though we didn't have to be on board the ship til 6:30. The train was not crowded. We could have taken the train that left at 4:30, but everyone was getting tired.

We did not go to the Vatican Museum/Sistine Chapel. However, I think we could have fit it in - if we didn't have 3 kids under age 12, and if we had made a few changes to the day, especially omitting the sit down lunch. Here's how I'd suggest doing it:

1)Take train to Ostiense/Metro to Circo Massimo. Purchase tix at Palantine Hill. Enter here, but walk to Forum. (Don't waste time touring Palantine Hill.)

2) Tour Forum and exit towards Colosseum

3) Tour Colosseum (remember you can skip the lines as you already have a ticket)

4) Walk to Pantheon and tour. If you pass a church on the way, you can take a cursory look only (although there are some *beautiful* churches in this area that are hard to pass up)

5) When hungry, grab a sandwich, or slice of pizza to go.

6) Walk to Trevi Fountain. (Skipping Piazza Navonna from our original itinerary)

7) Walk to Spanish Steps

8) Take Metro to Vatican Museum

9) Eat gelatto before entering

10) Tour Vatican Museum and exit from Sistine Chapel into St. Peter's Basilica (there are directions on the internet of how to do this)

11) Run through the Basilica before heading to train station.

I honestly think you could cover all that ground in 6 hours, but it would have to be a fairly fast pace. Hope your day in Rome goes smoothly.

This is great. It also seems like it could be a good itinerary in reverse too. Thanks!

I actually am doing that itinerary in reverse. We have until 10pm that night on our cruise, so I'm doing it in this order:

Getting off at San Pietro Station

1. Sistine / Basilica

2. Walking by the Colloseum and Forums

SIT DOWN LUNCH

3. Visiting the Pantheon

4. Trevi Fountain

5. Spanish Steps

Taking Metro to Termini and train back to Civi.

• 2 months later...

You can just take the metro right across colosseum to Ostiense station to catch the train. Not sure why you want to walk or take a cab. I did the same route as Dijid last summer no problem at all.

You take the metro from the Colosseum. There is only one line at this station (B) and you get on in the direction of Laurentina. The second stop is Piramide, get off there and follow the signs to Stazione Rome Ostiense. You'll walk through a tunnel from one station to the other. You could also walk outside on the road if you prefer, but it's less direct.

You take the metro from the Colosseum. There is only one line at this station (B) and you get on in the direction of Laurentina. The second stop is Piramide, get off there and follow the signs to Stazione Rome Ostiense. You'll walk through a tunnel from one station to the other. You could also walk outside on the road if you prefer, but it's less direct.

thanks again for your constant straight-forward directions! i know this is an old thread because i did a 'search'. now i understand the 'tunnel' option more clearly. like i've said before, you are a great teacher!:)

Thanks for all the useful information on this thread!

Does anyone know what the train schedules are for Sunday? We are in Civitavecchia on November 20, from 6 am until 8 pam. We realize that many sights may be closed on a Sunday---too bad!

Ricki

Does anyone know what the train schedules are for Sunday? We are in Civitavecchia on November 20, from 6 am until 8 pam. We realize that many sights may be closed on a Sunday---too bad!

Ricki - You can get detailed train schedules at http://www.trenitalia.com (search for Civitavecchia to Roma Termini). I tried to look for 20 November but that date must be far enough out that they aren't showing any of the regionale trains.

However, if you look at next Sunday (22 May), there are trains departing Civitavecchia at 7:32, 7:59, etc all day.

Hope this helps.

We are in Civitavecchia on November 20, from 6 am until 8 pam. We realize that many sights may be closed on a Sunday---too bad!

Ricki

Actually, only the Vatican museum (Sistine Chapel) is closed on Sunday. Pretty much anything else a visitor wants to see is open.

• 2 weeks later...

Scheduled trains show up at www.trenitalia.com 3 weeks prior your date. However I can only see IC and ESCity trains which are faster, more expensive (9.50 euros per leg) and bookable in advance. I can't see regional trains included in the BIRG ticket. Where do you find their schedule? Do the IC trains include the transportation ticket in Rome? The IC trains take less than an hour, how much do the BIRG trains take?

Scheduled trains show up at www.trenitalia.com 3 weeks prior your date. However I can only see IC and ESCity trains which are faster, more expensive (9.50 euros per leg) and bookable in advance. I can't see regional trains included in the BIRG ticket. Where do you find their schedule? Do the IC trains include the transportation ticket in Rome? The IC trains take less than an hour, how much do the BIRG trains take?

The full schedule is not loaded into the system this far in advance. As a previous poster said, look at any Sunday in the next few weeks to get a sense of the schedule. It may change a little between now and then, but not significantly.

Archived