Making the 8:41 train from Civitavecchia to Rome

dijid

How realistic (or not) is it to think that a family without priority disembarkation (ie not paying the big bucks for a suite) will make it off our NCL cruise ship with an 8:00 disembarkation time and make it on the 8:41 train to Rome?

We are able-bodied fast walkers. We will purchase BIRG tix along the way. And to the best of my knowledge, we are the only ship in port that day.

If it doesn't look good for the 8:41, is the 8:59 a sure thing? Because if it isn't, it's 9:41 until the next regional train and that's a precious hour I don't want to lose!

Please give it to me straight!

We didn't have a problem getting off our NCL cruise in 2009; there were a lot of people piled up, but if they were giving some priority I didn't see it. We got off and got moving pretty fast. The shuttle buses were waiting and left for the port entrance as soon as they were filled, which was pretty fast. From the port entrance to the train station was only about five minutes, at a pretty good clip.

There is a fair chance that you should be able to make it off the ship and then walk to the train station in time. Keep in mind that there will be about 2,000 other passengers that may be thinking the same thing and that the ship will have to wait to be cleared for disembarkation.

We arrived on the Jade at the port of Civitavecchia before 08:00 am. They announced that the ship was cleared and we could disembark at 08:00 am.

This was the one port where we had a full day planned. We got up early before heading off the ship as soon as they gave the all clear. They had shuttle buses (no charge) to take us to the gates at the end of the port area (5 minute ride). From there, we walked across the street, turned right, and walked a few blocks to the train station and bought BIRG tickets at the station. There were long lines of cruisers already there (we were on the second shuttle), so I went past a Tabacchi shop inside the station and bought the BIRG tickets at a coffee shop for €9.50 without having to wait. These tickets would cover the round trip train ride to Rome as well using the Rome metro and bus system all day. We caught the 8:42 am train and arrived at the Termini station in Central Rome at 09:52 pm.

Do NOT forget to time stamp your tickets before getting on the train. There are little yellow boxes on the platforms where you time stamp your tickets.

For advice on the trains in Italy and how to get to Rome from Civitavecchia, check out Ron in Rome website, he has great instructions with pictures. The blog is called "Cruising? Come to Rome for the Day!" Just google it as you see it it between the quotes.

roninrome.com/%20transportation/cruising-come-to-rome-for-the-day-2

Thanks for the replies. For some reason, I just keep stressing about this stop the most. It's not a lot of time in port, and the price difference between taking the train and hiring a service like RomeInLimo is just too great.

As for people having priority: After I booked the cruise, I learned there are all these "suite perks" for guests booking suites including reserved seating at shows and priority disembarkation. Those of us in steerage are left to fend for themselves, I guess.

Thanks for the replies. For some reason, I just keep stressing about this stop the most. It's not a lot of time in port, and the price difference between taking the train and hiring a service like RomeInLimo is just too great.

As for people having priority: After I booked the cruise, I learned there are all these "suite perks" for guests booking suites including reserved seating at shows and priority disembarkation. Those of us in steerage are left to fend for themselves, I guess.

The priority disembarking is for when you leave the ship at the end of the cruise with your luggage not at each port.

You can line up early near the exits if you are in a rush. Passengers exit pretty quickly at ports (where no tendering is required) and it's not much of an issue. Things move fast on the gangways.

Often there is priority disembarkation for those on ship tours, however, this really is only an issue with tender ports which won't be the case for Rome.

There is a fair chance that you should be able to make it off the ship and then walk to the train station in time. Keep in mind that there will be about 2,000 other passengers that may be thinking the same thing and that the ship will have to wait to be cleared for disembarkation.

We arrived on the Jade at the port of Civitavecchia before 08:00 am. They announced that the ship was cleared and we could disembark at 08:00 am.

This was the one port where we had a full day planned. We got up early before heading off the ship as soon as they gave the all clear. They had shuttle buses (no charge) to take us to the gates at the end of the port area (5 minute ride). From there, we walked across the street, turned right, and walked a few blocks to the train station and bought BIRG tickets at the station. There were long lines of cruisers already there (we were on the second shuttle), so I went past a Tabacchi shop inside the station and bought the BIRG tickets at a coffee shop for €9.50 without having to wait. These tickets would cover the round trip train ride to Rome as well using the Rome metro and bus system all day. We caught the 8:42 am train and arrived at the Termini station in Central Rome at 09:52 pm.

Do NOT forget to time stamp your tickets before getting on the train. There are little yellow boxes on the platforms where you time stamp your tickets.

Thanks for this info... I feel more confident for my port visit!

One question CT cruiser -- The Tabacchi shops to buy the BIRG tickets are easy to spot?

Inside the train station, pass the ticket office if there is a line and walk toward the back of the station. On the right you'll find a newsstand, you can buy your BIRG ticket there for 9 Euro. On a crazy busy day in July there was only one person ahead of me there.

Thanks, euro cruiser ;).

One question CT cruiser -- The Tabacchi shops to buy the BIRG tickets are easy to spot?

Just like Eurocruiser mentioned, walk into the station. To the right of the ticket windows will be a tabacchi shop (newstand) where you can buy tickets. If that is full, keep going to the right and you will find some food stands. The coffee stand there sells BIRG tickets as well.

At Civ it's best to get the ticket at the station. They have a manned booth, and also automatic machines (€ only, of course).

What is the difference between the 8:41 train and 8:59 train? Do they both stop at the San Pietro station?

The 8:41 is a faster train, it makes fewer stops (7 vs. 12 for the 8:59), and it has a first class compartment.

Both trains stop at Roma San Pietro, Trastevere, Ostiense and Termini.

Just a friendly reminder that when you are rushing to the train, the adrenalin is pumping, everything is exciting, etc etc do not forget to validate your ticket (regular ticket or BIRG ticket) in the validation machine before you get on the train. Regarding the BIRG ticket once its validated you can use it all day in Rome on the Metro and buses (it will open the Metro turnstyles).

Hank

At Civ it's best to get the ticket at the station. They have a manned booth, and also automatic machines (€ only, of course).

Do the automated machines take chip & pin credit cards? Or are they coins only?

The 8:41 is a faster train, it makes fewer stops (7 vs. 12 for the 8:59), and it has a first class compartment.

Both trains stop at Roma San Pietro, Trastevere, Ostiense and Termini.

Oh awesome, and yea that should help big time when it comes to spending time in Rome.

I might even have some food in a little baggie to have for breakfast on the train so we don't have to be starving the whole train ride over.

How realistic (or not) is it to think that a family without priority disembarkation (ie not paying the big bucks for a suite) will make it off our NCL cruise ship with an 8:00 disembarkation time and make it on the 8:41 train to Rome?

dijid, thanks so much for posing this question! I was wondering the same.

Appreciate the straight, sensible answers provided by all. :)

CT Cruisers, that link you provided was most helpful. I'm going to share it on my roll call. :cool:

Priority disembarkation does not normally have any impact on ports where you are docked (such as Livorno and Civitavecchia) but only help in tender ports and at your final port of disembarkation.

Hank

We are able-bodied fast walkers. We will purchase BIRG tix along the way. And to the best of my knowledge, we are the only ship in port that day.

If it doesn't look good for the 8:41, is the 8:59 a sure thing? Because if it isn't, it's 9:41 until the next regional train and that's a precious hour I don't want to lose!

Please give it to me straight!

As long as you are in the first wave off the ship you can do it. We docked at 7:00 and made the 7:33 train last summer. Now we did not dilly dally, we walked at a good clip, were the first in line at the train station for a ticket and made the train.

Kirk

When we were at the station there was no line but even if there is it should move along as everyone is buying the same thing. They even have a BIRG ticket taped to the glass window so just point and hold up two (or how ever many) fingers and hand over the euros. It took about 10 seconds to buy three tickets.

Kirk

Getting on to the train was not difficult. We didn't get off at St Peters which is the first station. That could be a mistake for some as the train then takes ages before it gets to the Termini station. Ostiense did not seem quite the right location for us. We wanted the underground and although the underground station is a Termini the walk just went on and on.

We were heading off for the St Giovanni in Lateran and the Scala Santa. We would have been better off walking out in the open air seeing the sights of Rome.

When returning to the ship make sure that you leave plenty of time. Don't forget you can go from any of the stations, but when we got on at the Termini again because our walking route took us in a large circle through Rome (around 3 pm, we were really tired from walking in the heat) the train was pretty full and very hot. Also do not underestimate the size of the Termini station. Finding the right platform might take about 15 minutes - it is the size of an airport:eek:.

I may sound as if I am being negative. On the contrary I would recommend this route for anyone. It also gives you some £££ left to pay for maybe a guided tour of the Vatican or the Colloseum. However most people worry about how to get into Rome and forget that getting back also needs planning for.

Archived