93 members have voted

1. 1. What age group use camp?

• Camp Carnival 2-5 year olds
    • Camp Carnival 6-8 year olds
    • Camp Carnival 9-11 year old
    • Circle C 12-14 year old
    • Club O2 15-17 year old
    • My kids have never been to camp

For my daughter, each cruise is different. I guess it depends on if she finds someone at the camp that she clicks with. The last couple of cruises she has, but there have been a few where she hasn't and has just hung out with us. I liked those cruises best. But, it's her vacation too so if she finds friends she wants to have fun at the camp with she spends most of her time with them...except at dinner..we spend dinner together in the MDR.

My son is 6. He has been on 2 cruises and both he went to Camp Carnival. He is at the age where he would rather be there than with us. Every morning we woke up, his first question was when could he go to camp carnival. We made sure that he had family time and then he had camp time. He loves it.

Anyone have experience with excursions in the Mexican Riviera with the family? Ages 2, 5, 8, & 9? Looking for something affordable and fun for the age ranges. We are on the Spirit leaving 2/11 Ports: PUERTO VALLARTA, MAZATLAN, LA PAZ, CABO SAN LUCAS, ENSENADA

If you have specific tour companies that you have used or if you have booked through the cruise line please let me know. First time cruising with the family.

2007-Disney cruise- twin DDs-9 and DS-10- Loved kid camp/club. Didn't warm up until day 3, but then never saw them again...ate with club, did PJ party, stayed until we drug them out at ningt.

2010-Carnival cruise- twin DDs-11, DS-13, DS's friend-13 and our friends went who have an only child (girl aged 11). 3 girls went to club 1 time for 2.5-3 hours and hated it. They did not like having to do ONLY the activity that was scheduled and not being able to have 'free play time'. We gave them ability to sign themselves out, but us adults were doing something until a certain time (gym and then shower for some and serenity hot tub and then shower for me) and we said we'd pick them up when we were done (plus they highlighted all the things they wanted to do and they had that 3 hour time slot highlighted, so I thought they'd be very happy there). They were very disgruntled when we picked them up and NEVER went back. The 2 boys NEVER went to their club at all and hardly left the cabin. The girls made us chase them back and forth from putt-putt to slide to pool to ice cream machine to here...to there. When we wanted to do something (like have a drink in the piano bar), the girls were not having it and pouted and huffed and puffed. We don't think we'll take the kids on anymore cruises...for awhile anyway (maybe when they are 16 and 18 or so). But I digress. This thread is about what age kids lose interest in the kid camps/clubs. I'd say around 11, but definitely by 13 (not all kids though).

I think I understand where MrPete is coming from. When I was a kid my parents would never have dreamed of putting us in a "camp" while on vacation. We never cruised, but (when we were age 7,8,9yrs old) we vacationed in NYC at hotels that I'm sure offered babysitting or daycare services. I'm sure my parents' view would have been: "If we didn't want the kids with us while on vacation, we would have left them at home". Indeed, we had some very nice lunches and daytrips at some cool places that I remember to this day. I am 40 yrs old now, and I know times may have been different in the 70's and 80's. But, to keep my post in perspective, it is important to realize that my sister and I were never in daycare, and we would have balked about going "to camp" while on vacation while our parents did something else (such as sightseeing or going on a tour). I guess what I am saying is that while many (most?) kids look forward to camp onboard a cruise ship, I'm sure that there are several who would rather forgo camp(daycare/babysitting) if they are not used to it in their daily lives. Just my opinion from my own life experience.

I think that the most wonderful part of a cruise is that there is something for almost everyone and no one is forced to do anything. You are also not locked in to anything and if you did something today but decided it wasn't really for you then you can do something different tomorrow.

It is the same for kids. Some will like it, some won't. If they give it a try and decide its not for them then they don't have to go back.

Some may think of it as locking them up or not spending family time together but I think it should be up to the kids to decide (within reason, of course) and I wouldn't want to deny my kids the opportunity to at least try it before making a decision.

Im hoping my kids like it, as we went on a Disney cruise and I had to DRAG them out to spend time with us LOL. We leave in March and we'll have them look at the fun times and see what they want to participate in.

my issue is not having any type of communication when they want to go or if my older son checks himself out. thats what i LOVED about the Disney Cruise. Were gonna take walkie talkies but i know they may not work well so timing will be of the essance

Anyone have experience with excursions in the Mexican Riviera with the family? Ages 2, 5, 8, & 9? Looking for something affordable and fun for the age ranges. We are on the Spirit leaving 2/11 Ports: PUERTO VALLARTA, MAZATLAN, LA PAZ, CABO SAN LUCAS, ENSENADA

If you have specific tour companies that you have used or if you have booked through the cruise line please let me know. First time cruising with the family.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

There is the ports of calls board- scroll down to your port- happy reading

Archived