Summary: Seward to Anchorage Transportation

JAKcruiser

Summary of Transportation from Seward to Anchorage

We are taking our first Alaskan cruise and have been spending a lot of time researching all the cruiselines, excursions, hotels, and transportation options available. The information I have found on CruiseCritic has been invaluable in helping plan our trip.

We will be taking the RCI Radiance from Vancouver to Seward, then departing out of Anchorage the next day. I have been researching all the options of transportation from Seward to Anchorage and thought I would share my summary of options. (Verify accuracy of times and prices as these may change or only be available on certain days.)

Any additions, changes, suggestions, reviews, or comments would be appreciated to make this list more valuable to the many cruise passengers needing these services.

YOUR CRUISELINE’S TRANSPORTATION

Cruiseline Train

Your cruiseline will have railroad service that departs shortly after arrival from Seward’s port and goes directly to the Anchorage airport. Cost is determined by your cruiseline.

Cruiseline Shuttle Bus

Your cruiseline will have a shuttle bus service. Cost is determined by your cruiseline.

RENTAL CAR

Hertz Rental Car (only rental car agency in Seward)

For my departure on July 1 for a mid-size car, it was $301 total with taxes for a one-way 24-hour rental from Seward to Anchorage airport.

RAILROAD

Alaska Railroad – Coastal Classic (AlaskaRailroad.com)

This is not associated with the cruiseline.

Departs at 6pm, arrives in downtown Anchorage (not the airport) at 10:15pm. $75 per person.

Luggage can be dropped off in the morning at the railroad depot so you can spend the day exploring Seward.

Cost $75 per person – Adventure Class

Cost $130 per person - GoldDome Class

PRIVATE TOURS (Both get very positive reviews on CruiseCritic!)

PJ’s Taxi (PJsTaxi.com) – 907-224-5555, PJ’s_Taxi@yahoo.com

Rene will provide a shuttle for up to 7 people for one price. She will take you directly to Anchorage or provide a narrated tour that can include a tour of Seward with stops at Exit Glacier, Wildlife Conservation Center, Alyeska Tram Ride, Anchorage Tour, and any Anchorage dropoff. She will personalize a 6 hour tour. Will also hold your luggage if you’d like time to explore Seward.

Salmon Berry Tours (SalmonBerryTours.com) 888-878-3572

Candice will gladly personalize a tour of exactly what you’d like. They have various size vans and buses so can accommodate all sized groups.

Cost is determined by your tour length, stops, and number of people.

BUS SERVICES

Seward Alaska Bus (AlaskaCruiseTransfers.com) 888-257-8527

Offers both shuttles and narrated tours using various size buses.

Shuttles – available on Fridays and Sundays, one rest stop

Departs Seward 8:30a – Arrives ANC 11:30a

Departs Seward 4:30pm – Arrives ANC 7:30pm

Luggage can be sent ahead to ANC if you pay fee for your cruiseline’s direct luggage service.

Cost: $39pp

Narrated Tour – stops for one hour at Wildlife Conservation Center (admission included)

Departs Seward 8:30a – Arrives ANC 12:30p

Departs Seward 2:00p – Arrives ANC 6:00p

Will drop at various Anchorage locations for additional fee, approx. $15.

Cost: $55 per person

Full Day Tour

Departs Seward 8:30a – Arrives ANC 5:00p

Includes Seward tour and stops at Exit Glacier, Wildlife Conservation Center, Alyeska Tram Ride, Anchorage Tour, and any Anchorage dropoff.

Cost: $145pp

Alaska Coach – The Park Connection (AlaskaCoach.com) 800-266-8625

Departs Seward 10:30a – Arrives Anchorage 1:30p, Cost $65

Departs Seward 6:30p – Arrives Anchorage 9:30p, Cost $55

Full-sized buses that go to downtown Anchorage Egan Convention Center.

Offers luggage storage until time to take a taxi to airport.

Seward Buslines (SewardBusLines.net) – 888-420-7788

Departs Seward 9:30a – Arrives ANC 12:01p

Cost $50 ($55 to airport hotel)

Magic Bus

Referred me to The Park Connection.

Wow, what a comprehensive list you've put together - thx a mint for sharing your research, JAKcruiser!

I've already decided to take our cruiseline's rail option - booked thru one's travel agent - however, it was still very interesting to read about all options I didn't even know about yet. Great to have if the train fills up before we book ;)

cheers,

:)

Except for when it departs the train is way beyond expectations and highly recommend and would be my first choice.

However, depending on your circumstances PJ's Taxi is also recommended. We have used Renee before and she will do an excellent job. She is personable, knowledgeable and dependable.

Except for when it departs the train is way beyond expectations and highly recommend and would be my first choice.

However, depending on your circumstances PJ's Taxi is also recommended. We have used Renee before and she will do an excellent job. She is personable, knowledgeable and dependable.

We used Renee for the hard to arrange Seward to Whittier. There weren't near as many choices.

Biggest benefit with Renee, besides her insider's view, was setting up your schedule to make the most of the time you were there rather than being stuck with a company's schedule. Can't beat the one price, too, if you have a good sized group.

We used the train down from Anchorage to Seward in the AM and WOWSER!! Friends still ask, "That was taken from a moving train?" about some of the shots of the glaciers, lake, peaks.

There is another option which we used: The Homer Stage Line. http://www.homerstageline.com/

It leaves Seward at 2pm and arrives in Anchorage at 5pm. The cost in 2009 was $40 per person, but now appears to be $60. There is an additonal $10 drop off fee for dropping off at the airport or specific hotel in Anchorage. It was a comfortable 8-9 passenger van with a trailer for luggage. The driver did stop for a few minutes at the Arm since we were seeing whale spouts in the distance.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the additions to the list. I thought it would be nice to have a pretty comprehensive list of all the options.

Pizzalady1 - It looks like Stageline's website has been suspended so I don't know if they are in business any more. If anyone knows, please add to the thread.

My wife and I are faced with the same decision. We decided to do the Kenai Fjord boat tour and take the Alaska Railway to Anchorage. We have heard many good reviews regarding both the tour and the train ride.

We were able to book our Alaska Railway tickets through Kenai Fjord Tours.

Good luck.

Given that the train travels only in the evening from Seward to Anchorage and the view is supposed to be the main attraction, can someone tell me whether it will still be daylight in early August for the evening train ride?

We used Renee from PJ's in 2010, and we're so glad we did. Renee will tailor the trip between Seward and Anchorage into whatever you want it to be. She charged a flat fee, which when split between four of us, was no more than we would have paid for the train and we were able to leave at the time of our choosing.

Renee made many suggestions of stops along the way and let us make up our own minds about which ones we wanted to see. At our request, she also stopped at a couple of places that we had heard about and wanted to see. She also took us to some stops off the beaten bath that we would never have seen otherwise - 2 different places to see spawning salmon, along with places to pick and eat fresh blueberries and raspberries, and another spot to watch beluga whales. We ended up taking approximately 6 hours to make the trip and it was a wonderful day and we saw so much.

We also called Renee several times while in Seward and she took us everywhere in and outside of town that we wanted to go. The price could not have been more reasonable. I'd rather spend $5 for a taxi ride than wait for free shuttles packed with tourists.

I highly recommend Renee. Call her now!

Given that the train travels only in the evening from Seward to Anchorage and the view is supposed to be the main attraction, can someone tell me whether it will still be daylight in early August for the evening train ride?

On August 15, the sun sets at 10 pm and twilight ends at approx. 11 pm.

I'd say you'll be just fine!

Sunrisesunset.com is great (and easy to use) site to find this information for the entire world. I use if for traveling all the time!

On August 15, the sun sets at 10 pm and twilight ends at approx. 11 pm.

I'd say you'll be just fine!

Sunrisesunset.com is great (and easy to use) site to find this information for the entire world. I use if for traveling all the time!

Much appreciated!

Much appreciated!

You're welcome

...something about the picture in your signature caused me to click on it. I couldn't help but look at your itinerary for S. A. next fall, and it brought back memories of our Nov. trip to Peru. We had a great time (other than altitude sickness). Word of advice: in Cusco, take oxygen at the first sign of discomfort (your hotel will most likely have it, ours did). Since you'll be working up to that altitude more gradually than we did, you hopefully won't have any ill effects, but just in case;)

We were able to book our Alaska Railway tickets through Kenai Fjord Tours.

For others, both these bookings are available with discounts using purchased coupon books. Especially great savings, the more you use. There is no need to have a cobooking, just as simple to book each direct.

You're welcome

...something about the picture in your signature caused me to click on it. I couldn't help but look at your itinerary for S. A. next fall, and it brought back memories of our Nov. trip to Peru. We had a great time (other than altitude sickness). Word of advice: in Cusco, take oxygen at the first sign of discomfort (your hotel will most likely have it, ours did). Since you'll be working up to that altitude more gradually than we did, you hopefully won't have any ill effects, but just in case;)

Thanks for the tips. I am so looking forward to our SA trip later this year...Alaska first though!

Wish I waited to do all my research till you posted this! We are doing the same travel on Celebrity Millennium in June. We opted to go with the Celebrity train as it leaves in the am for Anchorage and we will stay in Hilton one night. Big factor for my choice is that X takes care of all our luggage from ship to train to hotel. That's a major plus for me. Also, I get into Anchorage early enough to enjoy the day there before we fly out.

• 4 weeks later...
For others, both these bookings are available with discounts using purchased coupon books. Especially great savings, the more you use. There is no need to have a cobooking, just as simple to book each direct.

Just starting my research today for our Alaska trip. What coupon books are you referring too? I can already tell during my brief research that you & Susan are a wealth of knowledge, thank you in advance!

We just booked our trip on the train and the "tour saver coupon book" saved us 1/2 the price of our fare...it is buy one get one and it doesn't matter if you are using the lower price ticket or higher price ticket. Have a great trip.

Archived