For those needing a Kindle charger

MSRussell

On my last cruise, I had forgotten my Kindle charger at home. At the airport waiting for my flight, the battery got weaker and weaker. A woman sitting next to me had a charger and used her laptop to charge my Kindle for me.

When I got home, I went online to look for a spare to keep in my 'Cruise Kit'. I went to Amazon.com, and typed in Kindle charger, and found Oriongadgets. sells a USB for ONE CENT, with $2.98 shipping. The reveiws are great, it says it's for Kindle 2, but a lot of people have Kindle 3 and use it also. i ordered it yesterday, and it shipped USPS today already. It's 3 ft. long, but perfect to put in my luggage.

Melanie

I think that the Kindle uses a proprietary connector instead of the "standard" mini-USB that a lot of phones, cameras, and other devices do. I often forget to charge my Kindle because it needs it so rarely ... luckily someone on my last cruise lent me their cord for a few hours.

The Kindle and most newer cell phones use the mini-usb charger. Many of these new cords have a dual connection to a wall plug as well as a standard USB plug. This is the new standard that cell phones are moving to. It is flat, about 1/4 inch by 1/16 inch. I now can travel with only one cord and a couple of adapters. Much less tangled cords.

ETA- Bob, we were posting at the same time. My Kindle uses the standard mini USB. I interchangeably use the phone cord on it.

The Kindle actually uses micro-USB, not mini. It will make a difference. :)

I also recommend Monoprice.com for anyone that needs charger cables (or any other kind of cables). They've been my go-to source for years, and they're fantastic, ship quickly, and are cheap!

My Kindle charges just fine with the charger from my Motorola Android. Found that out when I lent my Kindle charger to a co-worker and he wasn't able to return it to me for several days.:)

That's what I use in the car! :)

The Kindle actually uses micro-USB, not mini. It will make a difference. :)

I also recommend Monoprice.com for anyone that needs charger cables (or any other kind of cables). They've been my go-to source for years, and they're fantastic, ship quickly, and are cheap!

Oh Shoot! you are right, it's a micro not a mini, and that is what I meant to say, but didn't. :o. But it is the one that works with my phones.

Oh Shoot! you are right, it's a micro not a mini, and that is what I meant to say, but didn't. :o. But it is the one that works with my phones.

Just to set the record straight - the K1 uses Mini USB. K2 and K3 use Micro. :) Both right. http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40803

Android phones usually have a micro usb as do the more recent bluetooth headsets and blackberries. Older cell phones and devices might use the micro as well.

Incidentally, the USB end of these cords all fit into an iPhone white USB "cube" charger that comes with the phone or the similar ones that come with mobile gadgets. Vice versa is true as well. I can charge my iPod touch with the iPod-> USB cable and a kindle 2/3 power plug.

Of course, these devices can also charge off PCs though not always standalone "integrated" USB power ports like the ones airports have.

I expect to see quite a few myself. My K2 is now two years old; back then the questions were "What is that?"... now it's "Is that a Kindle? Do they all look like that?" I have to say "Sorry,no"... due to my Burlwood DecalGirl skin.

And yes... all 300+ books are going with me! :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived