Sailing from Tampa Bay..

sassy~one

Thank you so much everyone for those great restaurant recommendations. My in-laws and we have been to the Columbia restaurant on St. Armand's Circle in Sarasota and also to the one in Clearwater. They gave it two-thumbs up, and so did we. Much appreciated.

You are good ambassadors for Tampa!

Unless I am reading this site incorrectly, there seems to be a problem with the Bear Cruise USA tour. The ports are not the ports visited on that cruise. The March 6th cruise goes to Cayman's, Falmouth, and Cozumel - not Belize or Costa Maya.

Looks to me like you are looking at the itinerary for Holland America's Ryndam, but the Bear Cruise is on NCL Spirit.

When sailing out of Tampa (Bay), try to be on the Sports Deck or Sky Deck when sailing under the Skyway Bridge. It is beautiful when lighted at night; usually ship arrives at Bridge at 7 PM, depending on departure time and traffic in channel.

Several years ago we sailed out of Tampa on the Ryndam and the top of the smoke stacks were very close to the bottom of the bridge :eek: !

Looks to me like you are looking at the itinerary for Holland America's Ryndam, but the Bear Cruise is on NCL Spirit.

Yes, I was looking at the Ryndam. It appears, though, that Carnival also has a ship going out of Tampa to the destinations on the Bear Cruise.

Any suggestions for our post-cruise situation? (I've done a search, but the function still seems to be smarter than I am.) We are a group of five, including two kids, with quite a bit of luggage. We got a good deal at the Marriott inside the airport--we have a very early flight the next day. I'd love to go to the aquarium and Channelside after we disembark and then take a taxi to the airport later, but are there any options for luggage storage? Or is it best to take a taxi to the airport, then rent a car for the day? We could take the HAL tour and transfer, but this is $$$, and we've had a few problems in the past.

We are at Disney World pre-cruise, so we'd really like to enjoy a bit of lovely Tampa. Any advice is appreciated.

Yes, the Aquarium is a good post cruise option since it is adjacent to the cruise terminal and then taxi to your airport hotel when you finish. The airport and your hotel have dining options and International Mall--Baystreet side has many nice offerings--think Cheesecake Factory--is a close taxi ride away. An alternative idea is this.....take a taxi to your hotel and pick up a rental car from one of the onsite vendors right in the airport. Follow route 60 out of the airport west to Clearwater Beach about 40 minutes away. Route 60 ends at the sand. Turn right for 1/2 mile and park on the left at beach parking by the water tower. Turn the kids loose on the white talc beach and take yourselves into our local hangout called Frenchy's Rockaway for one more margerita, a grouper sandwich and a bowl of she crab soup. Stay for sunset. See http://www.frenchysonline.com click on Rockaway Grill. Have fun.

We've sailed out of Tampa a few times and loved it. We're walkers and it was great walking from our hotel Marriott Waterside. Hotel was comfortable, friendly, nice resort type hotel. We'd definitely return.

Any suggestions for our post-cruise situation? (I've done a search, but the function still seems to be smarter than I am.) We are a group of five, including two kids, with quite a bit of luggage. We got a good deal at the Marriott inside the airport--we have a very early flight the next day. I'd love to go to the aquarium and Channelside after we disembark and then take a taxi to the airport later, but are there any options for luggage storage? Or is it best to take a taxi to the airport, then rent a car for the day? We could take the HAL tour and transfer, but this is $$$, and we've had a few problems in the past.

We are at Disney World pre-cruise, so we'd really like to enjoy a bit of lovely Tampa. Any advice is appreciated.

Mtmmommy- Since We're on the same cruise I invite you to pick my brain about things to do when you get off the ship. I live between Tampa and Clearwater Beach and since you will have most of the day to explore you have many options available.

Barbara

Archived