Sailing from Tampa Bay..

sassy~one

I think HAL does whatever it can to have all ships filled for every cruise. I loved the cruise on the Ryndam last year. I did back a B2B. The ports were excellent. I prefer leaving from Tampa and wish there were more cruises leaving from there, Fort Lauderdale is a zoo.

I think HAL does whatever it can to have all ships filled for every cruise. I loved the cruise on the Ryndam last year. I did back a B2B. The ports were excellent. I prefer leaving from Tampa and wish there were more cruises leaving from there, Fort Lauderdale is a zoo.

That makes two of us!

You might try checking this site:

http://www.shoretrips.com/common/gro...grpsrch=GRPNAM

Ricki

Unless I am reading this site incorrectly, there seems to be a problem with the Bear Cruise USA tour. The ports are not the ports visited on that cruise. The March 6th cruise goes to Cayman's, Falmouth, and Cozumel - not Belize or Costa Maya.

We loved sailing from Tampa and also felt it was much less of a "zoo" than Ft Lauderdale. There was something really relaxing and soothing about slowly making our way out to and under the Sunshine Bridge. A great way to start a cruise. :)

Yes, the Ryndam carries full loads out of Tampa and has recently been refurbished. I live here in Tampa and can tell you the airport is great and a 15 minute taxi away from the "easy-peasy" port in our Channelside District. Many of the bigger/newer ships do not come here because they must pass under the Sunshine Skyway bridge as you come and go through Tampa Bay to the Gulf of Mexico. Many cruisers do pre and post stops at Clearwater Beach an hour to the west or do the Disney thing an hour to the east. Tampa is a sleeper jewel with a cozy feel but big city perks. If you're killing time near the port have a taxi give you a drive down Bayshore Blvd and back. You will see waterfront homes, old oaks with hanging moss, the ballistrade for walkers and joggers, an in town stable and riding center as well as yacht club. You've just missed "Gasparilla", our version of Mardi Gras and celebrates the invasion of pirate Jose Gaspar. Near the port are several good museums of fine art, history and the cigar culture. If you need to shop try International Mall between the airport and port and of course have a "Hot Pressed Cuban Sandwich"--our version of ham and cheese. And speaking of Cuba, it would be a natural port for a sailing out of Tampa and it looks like US travelers may have that in their future.

Can you recommend a casual restaurant for lunch near the port? We're having a mini-family reunion with the parents and in-laws on embarkation day morning at the port. The 4 of them are not sailing with us but they'll both park at the port and then I thought we could have lunch somewhere close. Thanks.

Unless I am reading this site incorrectly, there seems to be a problem with the Bear Cruise USA tour. The ports are not the ports visited on that cruise. The March 6th cruise goes to Cayman's, Falmouth, and Cozumel - not Belize or Costa Maya.
:confused: How do you even know what ship(s) they are talking about there? That site says "ShoreTrips is an independent company that specializes in day activities for cruiseship passengers" and may or may not be talking about groups on HAL ships.

Can you recommend a casual restaurant for lunch near the port? We're having a mini-family reunion with the parents and in-laws on embarkation day morning at the port. The 4 of them are not sailing with us but they'll both park at the port and then I thought we could have lunch somewhere close. Thanks.

The terminal that the HA ships depart from is next to the Florida Aquarium. Both are part of a larger complex called Channelside. Channelside has several restaurants that would meet your needs. Here is the link http://www.channelsidebayplaza.com/dining.html. If you looking for lunch you can board around noon and eat lunch then. Have a nice trip!

The Tampa Bay History Center is very close to the pier (less than a 5 minute walk) but not as close as Channelside. It has a Columbia Restaurant Cafe inside. The original Columbia (in Ybor City- about a 5-10 minute drive from the pier) is one of the oldest and most iconic restaurants in the Tampa Bay area so if your folks can walk to the new cafe, they might enjoy it.

First you should know there is a public parking garage across the street from the port in this district called Channelside for the in-laws. Depending on taste and time-----the simplest is Channelside itself. See http://www.channelsidebayplaza.com for a listing of places whose names you will recognize. Next door is the Florida Aquarium if you have the time with a carribean cafe inside--www.flaaquarium.org

Close by is the Columbia Cafe at the History Museum where you can get the traditional Cuban Sandwich and Black bean soup and 1905 Salad. The classic Columbia restaurant is not far but needs taxi service. It is in the Ybor district---pronounced EEEE-bor---a quiet area by day but a busy club scene at night. http://www.columbiarestaurant.com or http://www.tampabayhistorycenter.org and for something nicer try Jackson's Bistro on Harbor Island where you could meet. They can park and you can take the streetcar--www.jacksonsbistro.com I would have the 1905 Salad and a cuban along the water at the Columbia Cafe.

:confused: How do you even know what ship(s) they are talking about there? That site says "ShoreTrips is an independent company that specializes in day activities for cruiseship passengers" and may or may not be talking about groups on HAL ships.

You are absolutely right. As I said, unless I was misreading the schedule - and I was! Thank you for pointing this out.

Any suggestions for our post-cruise situation? (I've done a search, but the function still seems to be smarter than I am.) We are a group of five, including two kids, with quite a bit of luggage. We got a good deal at the Marriott inside the airport--we have a very early flight the next day. I'd love to go to the aquarium and Channelside after we disembark and then take a taxi to the airport later, but are there any options for luggage storage? Or is it best to take a taxi to the airport, then rent a car for the day? We could take the HAL tour and transfer, but this is $$$, and we've had a few problems in the past.

We are at Disney World pre-cruise, so we'd really like to enjoy a bit of lovely Tampa. Any advice is appreciated.

To mtnmommy: Have you checked whether the Marriott shuttle would pick you up at the pier, take you to the Marriott where you could leave your luggage with the concierge and then return you to Channelside for your afternoon of exploring?

Any suggestions for our post-cruise situation? (I've done a search, but the function still seems to be smarter than I am.) We are a group of five, including two kids, with quite a bit of luggage. We got a good deal at the Marriott inside the airport--we have a very early flight the next day. I'd love to go to the aquarium and Channelside after we disembark and then take a taxi to the airport later, but are there any options for luggage storage? Or is it best to take a taxi to the airport, then rent a car for the day? We could take the HAL tour and transfer, but this is $$$, and we've had a few problems in the past.

We are at Disney World pre-cruise, so we'd really like to enjoy a bit of lovely Tampa. Any advice is appreciated.

I just wanted to say I thought that hotel was great. It's so nice to get off the plane and be almost at your hotel. Super easy. I would stay at that hotel again. Sorry...can't help with your question:o.

Ditto on the Columbia at the Tampa Bay History Museum. If it is nice outside there is outdoor seating. Jackson's Bistro has a brunch on Sunday but you need to drive. Welcome to Tampa. Looks like we all love it here and are great tour guides!

Archived