Why do you bother to cruise?

blitznbobs

Got to be more painfree going to the port from wherever you live. We drive from Devon. Car gets taken from you, bags get taken from you, unpack once - that's it. Marvellous!

Leeds - Soton 5/6HRS INCLUDING M/WAY FOOD

O/NITE STAY £70/100

Soton/ Leeds 5/6 hrs.INCLUDING M/WAY FOOD

Versus

Check in on line

Leeds - MCR Airport 45 mins

Relaxing in VIP Lounge(£16.00 inc breakfast)

MCR- BRIDGETOWN 9HRS

NO BRAINER!!!!!

Since the demise of OV ships, fly cruises to the Med are now not an option.

NCL, Carnival, RCI etc do not appeal.

It obviously depends where you live. For us, we leave home about 11.20am and are on board enjoying lunch by 12.15! Magic, but then we are lucky living so near Southampton. However, we do fly cruises as well just because we can get to the Caribbean and have a two week holiday in the sun. Personally I'd love to do a cruise to the Caribbean and back from Southampton but my husband doesn't love sea days as much as I do.

With so many whinges about so many aspects of cruising I'm not sure why some of you bother to cruise at all. What with the food in every restaurant being awful, the entertainment being dreadful and the boats being crowded. Not to mention the issues with dress code.it seems like an expensive way to be miserable to me.;)

Perhaps staying at home might suit you better?

The Australians have coined a term for it.

"Whinging Pom"

Just figure out the cost per night in any major city in the world. Where can you get a room, meals and entertainment for such a low cost.

We have cruised out of Southampton a few times and enjoy it very much.

We fly into London and take your National Express to Southampton.

Very inexpensive and comfortable.

Cheers,

Lance1224:)

The Australians have coined a term for it.

"Whinging Pom"

LOL - exactly:D

I try to make the journey part of the holiday whether it's air or coach/ car. You don't need to buy motorway food - I always make a 'luxury picnic, poached salmon with dill, nice granary rolls, salad, prepared fruit, cake and maybe even a small bottle of champers each (can we take alcohol on Eavesway?):D

I can't wait

LOL - exactly:D

I try to make the journey part of the holiday whether it's air or coach/ car. You don't need to buy motorway food - I always make a 'luxury picnic, poached salmon with dill, nice granary rolls, salad, prepared fruit, cake and maybe even a small bottle of champers each (can we take alcohol on Eavesway?):D

I can't wait

Yes, you can take alcohol.

Don't make my mistake. I did exactly the same for our coach from Manchester. We stopped at 9.30 am for coffee, then didn't stop again, like everyone said we would, and we were in the cruise terminal at 12.30, so my posh picnic resided in our cabin fridge and took us about 3 days to finish off :mad: :D

Yes, you can take alcohol.

Don't make my mistake. I did exactly the same for our coach from Manchester. We stopped at 9.30 am for coffee, then didn't stop again, like everyone said we would, and we were in the cruise terminal at 12.30, so my posh picnic resided in our cabin fridge and took us about 3 days to finish off :mad: :D

I've just checked the Eavesway T&C's and there is no mention of alcohol, Just in case, I'll take a couple of brown paper bags to wrap the Verve Cliquot in!

We're on from Bolton, so I'll bear your comments in mind-we'll have eaten it by Birmingham:D

I've just checked the Eavesway T&C's and there is no mention of alcohol, Just in case, I'll take a couple of brown paper bags to wrap the Verve Cliquot in!

We're on from Bolton, so I'll bear your comments in mind-we'll have eaten it by Birmingham:D

LOL! This time I'm packing up posh elevenses :D.

Last time, we left Devon at 0930. Decided we were way too early, so stopped for a coffee in a nice pub. When we got to Soton the traffic was horrendous, and we wondered why we had stopped, but nevertheless, we still got there at 1245 and were on board by 1.30. Perfect.

Leave home 9.45am, arrive port 11.45am eating lunch onboard by 12.45pm usually -

3 hours from front door to onboard lunch.

To fly cruise;

1 hour to local airport, or 2 1/2 - 3 hours to a London Airport

2 hours hanging about to check in

8-9 hours flight to Caribbean

over 13hours v 3 hours. Plus all the luggage you want on a cruise from Southampton:)

Leeds - Soton 5/6HRS

Last year we left Leeds at 7am on a Saturday and were at Rownhams services for 10.45am. No break neck speeds either - the roads were so quiet I set cruise to 75ish and the miles just disappeared.

It's a fantastic trip for us - only 0.3m of single carriageway until you get to the last stretch of the dock road - not bad for 230 miles.

Yeah? we have terms for Autralians too, by the way who won the ashes again...

I am not Australian but I am sure the Aussies do not overly care about the "Ashes" to much, Cricket in Australia is on the way down in a big way and has been for some years both on the field and interest from the remaining fans.

As a sport it has had its day.

Leeds - Soton 5/6HRS

Last year we left Leeds at 7am on a Saturday and were at Rownhams services for 10.45am. No break neck speeds either - the roads were so quiet I set cruise to 75ish and the miles just disappeared.

It's a fantastic trip for us - only 0.3m of single carriageway until you get to the last stretch of the dock road - not bad for 230 miles.

That's impressive. I"m in Sheffield i.e. 35 miles or so south of you and I would have said it would take us at least that long to do the journey. We're 7.5 minutes drive from the beginning of dual carriageway.

I am not Australian but I am sure the Aussies do not overly care about the "Ashes" to much, Cricket in Australia is on the way down in a big way and has been for some years both on the field and interest from the remaining fans.

As a sport it has had its day.

I can't believe that, perhaps they are just pretending not to care.....it's certainly not what I've heard from my cousins in Taz - they are devastated:D

Leave home 9.45am, arrive port 11.45am eating lunch onboard by 12.45pm usually -

3 hours from front door to onboard lunch.

To fly cruise;

1 hour to local airport, or 2 1/2 - 3 hours to a London Airport

2 hours hanging about to check in

8-9 hours flight to Caribbean

over 13hours v 3 hours. Plus all the luggage you want on a cruise from Southampton:)

You missed the 6 or 7 sea days to get to the Caribbean for a comparison.

Mind you if they leave Southampton you can always get a cruise ship with lots of snow on it..

5330363624_b353ee53fe.jpg

We don't mind cruises from Southampton when we can expect the weather to be warm, but nothing beats getting off the aircraft somewhere hot, like the Caribbean or similar, and straight away you feel the benefit.

The airport, flight etc are all part of the experience for us. We enjoy the airport lounge and the flight.

We don't mind cruises from Southampton when we can expect the weather to be warm, but nothing beats getting off the aircraft somewhere hot, like the Caribbean or similar, and straight away you feel the benefit.

The airport, flight etc are all part of the experience for us. We enjoy the airport lounge and the flight.

How anyone can enjoy an airport is beyond me, but then................

How anyone can enjoy an airport is beyond me, but then................

Why not? Check-in, quick through security and then either shop or sit in the bar watching the planes take off and land!

Plus at the gate you get to see and meet some of your fellow cruise passengers

I can't believe that, perhaps they are just pretending not to care.....it's certainly not what I've heard from my cousins in Taz - they are devastated:D

I can not stand Cricket so it matters little to me, its a game for toffs.

Cricket has been going backwards for years, Australia's dominance for a very long period had as much to do with the lack of enthusiasm in Australia as anything else.

Throw in the 20/20 farce and the betting and corruption scandals that come up every year and its a game that will only be important in India and Pakistan and perhaps England.

The West Indies are long gone, the new South Africa will be gone as the cultural changes take effect, NZ will follow Australia.

The writing has been on the wall for years.

What are the Media saying? look at the link below

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/society-and-culture/willows-whacking-barmy-army-cant-rescue-tests-now-20100103-ln80.html

I can not stand Cricket so it matters little to me, its a game for toffs.

Cricket has been going backwards for years, Australia's dominance for a very long period had as much to do with the lack of enthusiasm in Australia as anything else.

Throw in the 20/20 farce and the betting and corruption scandals that come up every year and its a game that will only be important in India and Pakistan and perhaps England.

The West Indies are long gone, the new South Africa will be gone as the cultural changes take effect, NZ will follow Australia.

The writing has been on the wall for years.

What are the Media saying? look at the link below

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/society-and-culture/willows-whacking-barmy-army-cant-rescue-tests-now-20100103-ln80.html

I don't like cricket either.....

Why not? Check-in, quick through security and then either shop or sit in the bar watching the planes take off and land!

Plus at the gate you get to see and meet some of your fellow cruise passengers

We always arrange our own flights, so get to fly when we want, from the airport we want and with the airline we want.

We enjoy the experience and get airmiles as well. Next month we're flying to Barbados for free - apart from the tax of course.

We always arrange our own flights, so get to fly when we want, from the airport we want and with the airline we want.

We enjoy the experience and get airmiles as well. Next month we're flying to Barbados for free - apart from the tax of course.

I suppose if you forget that flights are included & just book your own, provided you can afford it it does give that freedom. We can't really & spend any money on better accomodation.

Archived