automatic tip question

redsox9904

Hi, This will be my first cruise in 15 plus years so it is all different. I have a question about the automatic per person per day charge. Would you and have you ever taken the charges off for your children? If we don't eat in the MDR on a regular basis, should the tip go to the waiters? I would rather pay them in cash for good service. Thanks for your imput.

No, I would not remove the auto tip. I assume you and your children will be eating meals on the ship. The autotip goes to the waitstaff in all dining venues on the ship. Often children are more work for the waitstaff than adults.

I have never removed the auto tips, as I consider them a bare miminum and if you want extra services, then you tip extra above and beyond the auto tips. Some cruiselines your waiter and cabin steward will have a list with your name on it that you removed tips and ask you why .. what are you going to say??

I think most new cruisers will be surprised at the level of service they receive, especially for their children as people go above and beyond for children.

If you want a cooler to be kept full of ice for instance, besides the two times a day cabin cleaning/turn down whatever, they tip extra on top of the minimum.

Iv found in the dining room that kids make the biggest messes, so even if they eat a few days with the camp children, they still have someone serving them and waiting on them. Even if you eat up in the buffet, your waiter is the same person up there late at night or early in the morning waiting on you, clearing the tables and bussing your table.

You cant remove a partial amount, say part of the waiters tips either, its all or nothing. At least on the ships Iv been on. If you dont feel you want to tip extra, fine, but at least tip the bare minimum.

Think of it this way....if you ate in a land restaurants, you would tip a percentage of the bill, including what the kids ordered. Since there are no prices on the food, you simply tip a set amount. And, it covers all your meals and snacks everywhere on the ship (except the specialty restaurants, where the "fee" includes the tip)

NCL is now calling it a service charge, rather than calling it tips. RCL if you choose anytime dining now requires you to prepay the tips if you want to eat when you want... cruiselines are moving more and more to try and stop people from removing tips... I think NCL has the right idea. Service charge .. and it covers wherever you eat...and everyone eats some place.

Why don't they just include it in the cost of the cruise? Then it wouldn't be an issue? (Just a thought.)

They don't include it to make the cost sound lower. I would prefer that they just add the autotip to the fare or make it mandatory.

As long as your children use the services on the ship (sleep in the beds, use towels, eat anywhere, etc.), then tips should be left in place for them. As someone already said, the tips cover many people and there is no way to partially remove amounts for certain people you feel may not serve you.

I don't mean to be mean, but a lot of people are going to be doing a lot of work to make the cruise a great time for your family -- unless you know who they all are, you won't be able to individually tip each of them. The auto tips will take care of it for all of your family members.

Hi, This will be my first cruise in 15 plus years so it is all different. I have a question about the automatic per person per day charge. Would you and have you ever taken the charges off for your children? If we don't eat in the MDR on a regular basis, should the tip go to the waiters? I would rather pay them in cash for good service. Thanks for your imput.

I believe you have a fair question since cruising has changed some in the last 15 years.

It is my understanding (and I may be wrong) that all tips are now 'pooled' for the service staff. All the auto tips, all the cash (yes, even the cash is to be handed over), everything is throw into one 'kitty' at the end of the cruise. According to a predetermined formula, that money is divided among the service staff: servers in all free dining venues, room stewards, etc...This system was seen as more equitable by the crew: it ensured a fair share even on a 'slow' week.

So, 15 years ago, you would have tipped, in cash in an envelope, the people that served you directly during the cruise based on the number of people in your party that were served. And they kept that cash.

Although still called a "gratuity" by some lines, think of it today more as a "service charge" and this all makes a bit more sense. To me, 'gratuity' = $ from 1 person to 1 person. 'Service charge' = $ from 1 person to a whole host of people that supplied or were available to supply a service.

That's the reason why others here suggest that you leave the tips on for children: it covers *more* than just the people with whom you and your family have daily regular contact like the waiters in the MDR.

On a separate note, any bar bill will have 15% automatically added. I believe that all of this money is also 'pooled' and divided by some formula among the bar servers. Some cruisers think that the 15% on their bill is going directly *that* server. It is not.

To answer your specific question: I have never taken off any auto tips, even when I haven't eaten every meal in the MDR. I have added a bit extra in cash for above and beyond service...knowing that it may very well not be going directly to the individual.

You can pay gratuities directly in cash on some lines (not all) but your cash is likely to find its way to the 'pooled' money anyway.

I hope this helps in making your decision and gives you some perspective.

I had the usual tipping concerns..........I just got back from the rcc Jewel 11 day cruise with my 8 and 13yr old. And the staff are incredible.....amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We tipped extra.......and went around and tipped various bartenders, staff......who you become attached to. (until I totally ran out of money) They deserve the tips as a min. they made my family feel like kings and queens......and they go "all-out" for kids!

As a first time cruiser all I can say is "thank you" to all staff.......may God bless you and your families!

I just hope as a cruiser I am helping them and not taking advantage of a luxury vacation by walking on the less fortunate! (hard to not feel that way sometimes)

It is my understanding (and I may be wrong) that all tips are now 'pooled' for the service staff.

Im not sure if this is meant to be all inclusive, but just a FYI, Carnival says they dont pool tips. $1 a day per person on Carnival does get pooled as buffet tips.

I believe you'll find that the level of service on today's ships is such that the "required" level of tipping will feel like a bargain. When we sailed last year (on Celebrity) everyone from the guy vacuuming the hallway to the Maitre D' treated us like royalty and earned what the line charged and more. I hope that at the end of your cruise you have this same experience and the issue proves to be moot.

I think in only the most extreme circumstances, where your entire service experience was poor and only a few seemed to care, would removing the "required" tips and handing out cash be warranted, and the lines these days work very, very hard to make sure that is never the case.

Thank you all for the great information. I am not trying to short change anyone. I appreciate all the different perpectives!

I have had a bad cabin steward, who I felt like cutting back his tips .. the problem is I couldnt without affecting other people. We dont know if he shares his tips with his helpers or not, but I suspect so. He didnt do turn down 3 nights and one morning didnt clean the cabin either and gave me lip and said it was my fault for not telling him we changed dining times .. also other issues with him.

You cant cut back the tips partially either, and move money from one person to another, its pretty much a all or nothing system from the times I have gone to check at the purser's desk what I could do.

Why don't they just include it in the cost of the cruise? Then it wouldn't be an issue? (Just a thought.)

I've often wondered this myself! I dont want to short change anyone, and in fact almost always tip extra to the waiters, assist. waiter, and cabin steward...but I'd rather them charge the $10 per person per day on the initial cruise cost and they could tell everyone tipping is not expected...then if we want to give a little something extra, it might seem to mean more. Just my opinion...maybe it wouldnt work or be too complicated. one thing I wouldnt want is for the hard working folks on the boat to get short-changed...they usually do an excellant job!!

I have had a bad cabin steward, who I felt like cutting back his tips .. the problem is I couldnt without affecting other people. We dont know if he shares his tips with his helpers or not, but I suspect so. He didnt do turn down 3 nights and one morning didnt clean the cabin either and gave me lip and said it was my fault for not telling him we changed dining times .. also other issues with him.

You cant cut back the tips partially either, and move money from one person to another, its pretty much a all or nothing system from the times I have gone to check at the purser's desk what I could do.

You should have talked to the cabin steward's manager, if not the first time, certainly the second.

You should have talked to the cabin steward's manager, if not the first time, certainly the second.

I actually discussed it three times with this guy, each time thinking I had solved the problem, as he would smile and nod yes. I did finally go file a complaint at the purser's desk after three times.

My sister had fallen and broken her shoulder the day we boarded, nothing could be done, but you would think he would have asked how she was? Nope, and he made her bed with only one pillow .. when I asked for another pillow, he told me to start checking the drawers in the cabin, (me?? why me, its his job) ..didnt get a 2nd pillow which is standard on carnival until the next day. We only had 4 hangers.. more lip. Well, usually there is only one in this cabin.. cant he see there are two of us?? I dont want more excuses.. which he gave me all week about not doing his job.

So, I can see this tipping thing from both ways.. I think I want it to still be my decision how much to tip. I probably should have complained more so his bosses knew how bad of a job he actually does... but I was on vacation and didnt want to be bothered, so it was my fault too.

We booked late and they gave us late dinner, but I had it changed to early the day we boarded so thats why he said he never was getting to cleaning our cabin before we would come back around 10 pm and my sister wanted to sleep then. So then it was too late, as she was ready to sleep and the room kept not getting cleaned. Anyway, thats why not doing turn down he said was my fault too... everything he said was my fault, not his.

Archived