death of an Allure crew member in Cozumel

MiniMom57

Diario de Yucatan is reporting today that the US passenger from the Allure, Monica Bern, died Monday night in the hospital in Cancun. She was being treated for a tongue piercing gone horribly wrong and swallowing the stud. The authorities were hoping to question her about the musician found dead on Cozumel.

I know this has been said before but you can go anywhere and run into bad people. I live in a small town 25 minutes from downtown Columbus Oh. and yet everynight on the news someone is murdered or shot. It makes me nervous that it happened in Cozumel. But I refuse to live my life in fear , but I will probably use better judgment than in previous years.

Those Pick town hoods are nothing compared to the North Side Disciples!

Remember her getting killed on Aruba, one of the low crime areas in the Caribe? She went with the wrong person to the wrong place. It can happen anywhere.:mad:

I've stayed on Coz and visited a number of times off the ships as well as many other places in Mexico. We'll return next week for another fun filled day on a great island with friendly people. Of course, I used to shop in Juarez so my perspective may be different from yours!!:)

We'll be the first ship into Falmouth Jamaica next week; now there's a place I'll watch myself. You also wouldn't find me walking around Belize City even though I love the country. Some people have even had negative things to say about my own island of Galveston, go figure.:confused:

But, you just can't see the world by never getting off the ship, I think that Mark Twain held the same opinion.

Yes it's the Vanguard avatar. They have always been my favorite since I first saw them in the 70's. I marched back in the 70's with a local corps from Baltimore.

Cool! Drum corps in the '70s and early '80s was great! Thank you!

Thanks. I am now hearing it was last Friday like the article talks about, so I misunderstood when I first heard about it. Sad. And, it makes you wonder about going off the beaten path down there.

Mexico, especially Cozumel and Costa Maya, is one of my favorite destinations. Before all the facts are in people should not jump to conclusions. Even if foul play was involved it does not mean that the entire island has suddenly become unsafe. However it is always better to know the facts about a place before you visit.

Mexico is basically dissolving into a narco-terror state with drug cartels operating freely in most of the country. However most of the violence is concentrated in the northern areas of the country and particularly in the towns near the US border. Even though the area is controlled by Los Zetas and the Gulf Cartel, Cozumel and the tourist areas of the Yucatan Peninsula seem to be mostly unaffected. That said you should always be on your guard no matter where in Mexico you are travelling. Don't travel alone or stray too far off the beaten path.

Personally I am looking forward to returning to Cozumel in August. The only problem I am having is trying to fit everything I want to do into such a short amount of time.

We spoke with Royal Caribbean spokeswoman, Cynthia Martinez, who confirms that although there have been conflicting reports in the media, the original story regarding the crewmember whose body was found in Cozumel was correct.

As for the passenger who passed away in a hospital in Cancun, Martinez says, "She debarked Allure of the Seas on February 4 in Cozumel to receive medical attention. Out of respect for patient confidentiality, we cannot discuss her medical situation with the media, nor can we release personal information until her next of kin is contacted."

Martinez also maintains that the two deaths are not related.

I also read that the the cruise ship employee died from drowning and the trauma on her head happend AFTER she died. It's possible she might have drowned and the tide brought her into a rock on the shore causing damage. But this is speculation on my part.

Just found out about this, and I'm just shocked. We were on that cruise, and loved their music so much. We went to Central Park etc night after night to hear them play, and were puzzled that they weren't there as scheduled, or at the dining room the next night.

Now I know why. :(

JMO This is a sad case although not fully understood yet. There will always be a proportion of customers over every cruise line who will die of natural deaths and also unfortunately, the people who feel life is so unbearable that they feel they have to take their own life. In no way should any cruise line be held responsible.

The 'accidents' that cause all the contraversy are luckily few and far between. And even in these cases it is hard to proportion the total blame on the cruise lines. As I said just my thoughts....

She was part of the Northern Lights duo, an incredibly gifted violinist who played with an equally gifted guitarist. We heard them for the first time on the Enchantment back in June, and were lucky to hear them play three times on the Allure the 23rd-30th of January. So sad to hear about this. We bought one of their CDs on the ship and were listening to it Saturday night with some friends...

It's shocking! I failed to buy their CD in December and planned on buying it this June. Wow! Really enjoyed her music.

I'm not sure what you mean by "quite a lot of deaths". How many deaths have there been recently? In any case it does not appear that RCCL had any involvement with these incidents so I don't see how they would negatively impact the company.

There have been 6 deaths in the last 2 months, according this article:

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2011/02/articles/crime/royal-caribbean-crew-member-murdered-in-mexico/

"Royal Caribbean has had many deaths in the last two months. Last week, a crew member was killed and the safety officer injured during a fire drill aboard the Allure's sister ship Oasis of the Seas. A passenger's husband filed suit over his wife's death on the Brilliance of the Seas. Three weeks ago, a passenger fell to his death from the Liberty of the Seas. Two months ago, a young cook was found dead on the Oasis of the Seas."

Plus the 2 women we are talking about.

Yes it's the Vanguard avatar. They have always been my favorite since I first saw them in the 70's. I marched back in the 70's with a local corps from Baltimore.

My favorite has always been the Madison Scouts. What corps was in Baltimore in the 70's?My family was involved in Drum Corps for quite a few years in the 70's and early 80's. Myself i did a stint in a local Delaware corp called the First Staters(mostly color guard) then did a small one with the Crossmen then when i aged out i was with Archie Epler for a while. Also with the Blue Rocks.

Sorry for the hijacking but it is rare that you find things like this in common. Now back to regularly scheduled programming

Michele

There have been 6 deaths in the last 2 months, according this article:

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2011/02/articles/crime/royal-caribbean-crew-member-murdered-in-mexico/

"Royal Caribbean has had many deaths in the last two months. Last week, a crew member was killed and the safety officer injured during a fire drill aboard the Allure's sister ship Oasis of the Seas. A passenger's husband filed suit over his wife's death on the Brilliance of the Seas. Three weeks ago, a passenger fell to his death from the Liberty of the Seas. Two months ago, a young cook was found dead on the Oasis of the Seas."

Plus the 2 women we are talking about.

I'm not familiar with the source quoted here, but after reading the article, I do have to wonder about them. First of all, the Allure returned to Fort Lauderdale, not Miami. But more than that, the first sentence is horribly misleading. I do not wish to minimize the tragedy of what is being discussed, but let's be honest: 4 people, out of the thousands and thousands of passengers and crew to have sailed within the past two months, is absolutely not "many."

Also, to say that a passenger "fell" from the Liberty implies that he somehow lost his footing, toppled over the railing, and down he went. I'm not familiar with this case, but how often to people just "fall" off a ship? (As compared with being thrown over, or doing something stupid like trying to tightrope-walk on the railings?)

I'm not familiar with the source quoted here, but after reading the article, I do have to wonder about them. First of all, the Allure returned to Fort Lauderdale, not Miami. But more than that, the first sentence is horribly misleading. I do not wish to minimize the tragedy of what is being discussed, but let's be honest: 4 people, out of the thousands and thousands of passengers and crew to have sailed within the past two months, is absolutely not "many."

I agree. Actually, I wonder how many people are injured or killed driving to a cruise. Probably more than those who actually die on a ship. I know of 2 myself. It does not make any single death or injury less tragic. But I am saying don't start fretting about dying on a ship or excursion. I doubt the odds are greater than anywhere else.

Archived