Advice on Which Ship

JanetMarie

JanetMarie - There are dozens of them from several ports. You need to be more specific on the type of cruise you'd like, price range, interests, ports, etc. With that information others can give you some ideas. Are you restircting your question to Celebrity?

When you want to cruise is also a factor. Celebrity is pulling their ships out of the Caribbean for the summer months, and sending them to Europe, and I believe I read that when Century returns, it will be doing a 10 day caribbean run.

Hi Janet:) and here I thought you were a Princess Cruiser;)

Great to see you again:D

X is my favorite (you know that though). When are you wanting to sail? Celebrity has changed their ship's itineraries. They won't have any in the Caribbean from May-Oct. During those summer months the ships will be elsewhere.

I am going next week:D March 12th on Century for the 3rd time. I love her. She is beautiful! Would recommend her to you in a heartbeat.

If you want a bigger ship though, you might try an M-Class. Century is C-Class.

I was on Constellation in December, sailing out of San Juan though. Had a fabulous week:)

The Millennium goes out of FLL (also M-Class) and the Summit too. But like I said, after April, none of those will be sailing out of FLL...not until the fall comes back around.

Welcome to Celebrity Janet!!

We're looking to sail March or April only, to the Caribbean, from Florida.

We're also not particular about ports because we simply like to decompress our brains and relax onboard for the whole week. We don't mind not stepping off the ship for the entire week, for that matter!!!

Lois, has the Century been refurbished? If so, do you know when? Thanks much!

Hi Janet:) March or April and you will have more choices.

As far as I know from friends on this forum, Century is scheduled for drydock in January 2006. You will see for yourself if you choose her In March/April.

One of our cruisebuds from here just returned home from sailing her (Danno) and he is giving his sailing 2 thumbs up:)

Now, if you want a bigger ship, Millennium should be sailing out of FLL in those months too.

I would try the Zuiderdam. If you are going just to relax. They are always doing the Caribbean year round, first east, then west. The reason I suggest them is that because it is always doing the Caribbean, you can get some sweet deals on their SS, mini-suites with balconies, which are just awesome rooms!!!!! Look at the rooms. That is my suggestion

Hi Pooh:) I wish I could agree with your suggestion:( but my experience on the Z was not very good.

It was the first time I had ended a cruise being glad to come home.

HI Phil,

I'm with Lois. I love X. I did RCCL once....I hated it. Nice ship, but that's where it ended.

I have friends I bowl with. They swear by Princess. They are also very sudoed and quiet. From what I hear, It's a much older crowd. "Not that there is anything wrong with that" ( for you Seinfeld fans). It's all what you are used to and happy with.

Jeff

Hi Jeff:) I have sailed with Phil and Marti before:D be nice now LOL respect your elders;) JUST KIDDING PHIL:D

Jeff, Phil is a big Princess fan and they like X too. He keeps telling me I will love Princess. Maybe one day I will try it.

I need Oprah here to give away some cars to take the heat off me here :D

I didn't mean it...THAT way :rolleyes:.......It's just that when we docked next to a Princess ship last time, I kept smelling BenGay for some reason :D.

Lois...PLEASE take this shovel away from me. This hole I'm digging is getting bigger and bigger. I'm sorry Phil, I haven't taken my medication yet tonight :D.

Have a great night. I promise to be good....Tommorrow :).

Cya

Jeff

Hey Jeff, no problem!:D Phil is a good man! He is just kidding, I promise! And he is NOT OLD!!!!

We should ALL cruise together!

But that Ben-gay comment?:eek: ouch!!! And ewwww...that stuff smells awful!;)

We got hooked on cruising with our first cruise--RCI's Explorer from Miami to E. Carib. 1/02 Did same ship to W. Carib. out of Miami the next year, Adventure to S. Carib out San Juan last year and Celebrity Galaxy out of Galveston to Panama Canal last month--sailed 4 weeks ago today. We sailed Celebrity Summit to Alaska in Aug. '03. Summit also does some Carib. sailings out of Port Lauderdale.

RCI and Celebrity are our lines and I would recommend both.

Can't wait to book the next cruise, but making do with a "land cruise" to FL from 3/5-3/19. :)

As far as Princess, we sailed on her for the first time a month ago. We had a nice cruise but for our next one we are back again with Celebrity on the CENTURY. Although some may prefer the mega ships in our opinion the CENTURY is the perfect size.

Lois R,

Can you tell me more about the Century dry dock scheduled for January '06? Is this going to be a major overhaul? Reason I ask is that I was thinking of signing on for a 9-day cruise in March '06 and was wondering if the ship would be refurbished by then since she's been on the waters for several years now. Thanks in advance for any info you or anyone else can furnish.

As far as Princess, we sailed on her for the first time a month ago. We had a nice cruise but for our next one we are back again with Celebrity on the CENTURY. Although some may prefer the mega ships in our opinion the CENTURY is the perfect size.

megaship is a moving target. In 1995, Century was referred to as a "megaship". 70,000 tons meant megaship.

Lois R,

Can you tell me more about the Century dry dock scheduled for January '06? Is this going to be a major overhaul? Reason I ask is that I was thinking of signing on for a 9-day cruise in March '06 and was wondering if the ship would be refurbished by then since she's been on the waters for several years now.

There was talk about stretching the Century. This was not received well, many Celebrity fans love the Century and did not want her to be stretched.

I've not heard of any refurbishment plans for the Century. Ships are maintained through the years. Carpets are replaced (with the same stock), chairs are reupholstered, wood is refinished and varnished, etc. Century has been up and down, sometimes maintained wonderfully, other times not as well. Some areas will look refurbished and fresh, other areas will not look as fresh.

The Century, if you are into her style, is a magnificent ship, and a true standout in a lot of me-too, series ships being built currently. She can be enjoyed if one has the attitude that she has a certain "lived in" look about her. If one expects her to be in the condition that you find something that's been sailing for only a few months, then you'll think she's worn and tired.

A ship's life should be at least 25 years. This ship is not in service for even 10 years. And its become something of an obsession with many cruisers about the condition of what is being referred to as "older" ships. The Century isn't old in the least. Yes, she's not new, she's been in service for awhile, and she'll show signs of it. But she has what a lot of newer ships do not have. She is building a legacy, she's something of a modern classic.

Archived