Spirit 2/27 review: Animal House at Sea

wbrumel

We are headed out on the next 5 night Spirit cruise next week. I am guessing we will experience pretty much of the same thing. It is too late to cancel so we are going in with open minds. I am hoping the next group reads this thread and realizes we are all there to have a great time and to show some respect for all ages on the ship including themselves and to realize we need to live together as a small happy community for five nights. I too like to party and have a good time but have learned my limits the hard way.

Maybe NCL will hire hall monitors like we used to have in grade school for these cruises.

Question : What night do they have the toga party and are you allowed to use the ships sheets for your toga?

When we were last on the Norway, a few months before the explosion, it was a "spring break" kind of trip and the place was lousy with 850 college kids. But, the worst of it was beer bottles left in the hallways, and some young men going out of their way to impress young women by pulling stupid tricks (shades of "Tom Sawyer"). True story: I was in the pool with my son, and a very nubile young woman, tripped or bumped into me and mumbled out " 'shcuse me" with a drunken giggle before sitting down (or falling down) with her friends. My wife saw the look on my face, apparently pure disdain, which earned me a BIG kiss--Doing the right thing at the right time: Priceless.

But it really wasn't that bad--then again we were in a top cabin at the front of the ship where they couldn't disturb us. We actually had a nice experience on St. Thomas. We were digging up a cab to go to Coki Beach when one of the young women approached us and asked if a) we knew a nice beach and b) could she share our cab. Turned out she was 18 or 19, in a cabin with 3 sorority sisters (one of whom was 21) and they were supposed to wake her for an excursion--they didn't and she found herself abandoned and had NO idea what to do about beaching on St T (we've been there lots of times) and was doubly scared about jumping in a taxi alone and going Who Knows Where. Wise girl. But when she saw a family from the ship, she figured she might be a lot safer, and asked. We were happy to have her join us, she was no bother at all, and after we came back to town, said good-bye and never saw her again on the rest of the cruise.

We had far more trouble on the X-mas cruise on the Dawn with some troubled high-school aged kids--most were fine but maybe a dozen were out of control

"It's obvious from this statement that loud and rowdy college students don't bother you. But why would they? You're a college student and that's what you're used to. But for others, that are far past their college days, it's not the type of atmosphere they particularly enjoy being around. "

First of all, duh. Second of all, I had college students running down my halls screaming at 3 a.m. as well...I didn't enjoy that either. But it didn't ruin my wonderful day snorkeling in Grand Cayman or my day at the beach in Honduras. I understand that some people's vacations were ruined, right after I got off that ship I said to my parents, you would have hated it...but my point, which you obviously overlooked, was that an alum of UF who knows the reputation of excellence of our school should not base her decision about our school on a select group of rowdy students.

"From the comments posted here so far it seems that it was a much larger number of people than just a small group. "

There were not 800 animals on this ship. It was the minority and they gave the rest of us a bad name. When a group is loud and drunk, it seems much larger.

"Everyone does it so why single out UF? That's a terrible defense. "

First of all, this was in response to teacher who said that she was going to stop "singing the praises of UF" to her students. My poor "Everyone does it defense" was not a defense...I didn't say what these students did was right, what I said was that no matter what school she suggests her high schoolers apply to, there will be drunken, rowdy students.

"If we don't base your opinions of a school by the overall way in which its students present themselves then what should we look at to base our decisions? Should the cruisers last week looked past the horrific behavior because on paper students get good grades and do some social work? "

Again, you are missing the point. I am saying don't base your opinions on a select group of misbehaving students. The majority of students on that ship were very polite and well-behaved. Base your opinion on them. Make generalizations about the general populations, not the small group--yeah, I said small group--of misbehavers.

On a positive note, a friend of mine was sitting next to a couple during the last free bingo. They won a bottle of champagne and he started talking to them because they were both from Orlando. The man asked if he went to UF and the couple was so nice that they handed him the bottle of champagne and said, "from one gator to another." These people were so nice and understanding and I felt like most of the out-of-college crowd were the same way.

Did anybody meet any nice, polite college students? I'm sure there are many good stories out there...

P.S. - This is my mom's screenname, so don't be scared if you see it somewhere else and think you're going cruising with more crazy kids...

Second of all, I had college students running down my halls screaming at 3 a.m. as well...I didn't enjoy that either. But it didn't ruin my wonderful day snorkeling in Grand Cayman or my day at the beach in Honduras.
I don't think you see how being woken up at 3 AM by out of control college kids could ruin your day. How many people do you think are used to being up at 3 AM? Ah...college kids...they're used to it. I doubt many 40 + year old people are used to it and would blow it off like it was nothing. If I had a snorkel trip planned for 9 AM, being woken up at 3 AM would affect how that 9 AM trip went.
There were not 800 animals on this ship. It was the minority and they gave the rest of us a bad name.
So what did you and your much better behaved group do to try and reign in the small group of rowdy kids? Did you talk to them and let them know that they were out of line and that they were giving UF a bad name? In my undergrad college days, peer pressure was often a good motivating factor for people when they were being out of control and if it was a small group out of 800, I'd think that the other 775 or so students could have exerted some influence.
I didn't say what these students did was right, what I said was that no matter what school she suggests her high schoolers apply to, there will be drunken, rowdy students.
Well, maybe if everybody does it, her high schoolers should choose the school that's the lesser of all evils. UF might not be that school. I live 8 miles from Colorado State University in Boulder, CO. It's regularly listed in the top 3 for party schools. The school currently has a prostitute for hire scandal involving recruit football players and every year you can count on one or two good riots causing a million or so in damage. The school brings in a lot of money and the state needs it. But I'd never recommend that school to anyone.
Again, you are missing the point.
I understand your point. I don't agree with it. You aren't wrong. We just have different perspectives.

I don't think you see how being woken up at 3 AM by out of control college kids could ruin your day. How many people do you think are used to being up at 3 AM? Ah...college kids...they're used to it. I doubt many 40 + year old people are used to it and would blow it off like it was nothing. If I had a snorkel trip planned for 9 AM, being woken up at 3 AM would affect how that 9 AM trip went. So what did you and your much better behaved group do to try and reign in the small group of rowdy kids? Did you talk to them and let them know that they were out of line and that they were giving UF a bad name? In my undergrad college days, peer pressure was often a good motivating factor for people when they were being out of control and if it was a small group out of 800, I'd think that the other 775 or so students could have exerted some influence. Well, maybe if everybody does it, her high schoolers should choose the school that's the lesser of all evils. UF might not be that school. I live 8 miles from Colorado State University in Boulder, CO. It's regularly listed in the top 3 for party schools. The school currently has a prostitute for hire scandal involving recruit football players and every year you can count on one or two good riots causing a million or so in damage. The school brings in a lot of money and the state needs it. But I'd never recommend that school to anyone. I understand your point. I don't agree with it. You aren't wrong. We just have different perspectives.

Cecelia, I normally don't question you on anything cause you know what you are talking about, but my grandaughter goes to Colo State University and it's in Ft Collins. University of Colo, the PARTY school is in Boulder. That's where I went to learn to party!!! LOl NMnita ps I wouldn't have caught the CSU versus CU except my grandaughter would not be happy to see CSU listed as one of the top party schools in the nation: They do party though!!

but my grandaughter goes to Colo State University and it's in Ft Collins. University of Colo, the PARTY school is in Boulder.
Ya know...I get them confused. CU...CSU...UNC...many colleges in Colorado. It is CU I meant to say. They're all state schools so I automatically add the State part. I went to DU for my master's degree and DU stands for University of Denver. Shouldn't it be UD instead? :D Anyway, you're right...I mixed the two schools up. Sorry about that.

Golfpi, Think the toga party is on Costa. Went on Costa Romantica about 5 years ago and the toga party was the last night. It was very family oriented and not a "party". We will be on the Spirit on the 27th of March and will be very, very disappointed if behavior is similiar to this last 5 day cruise.

Golfpi, Think the toga party is on Costa. Went on Costa Romantica about 5 years ago and the toga party was the last night. It was very family oriented and not a "party". We will be on the Spirit on the 27th of March and will be very, very disappointed if behavior is similiar to this last 5 day cruise.

Ditto...

Ya know...I get them confused. CU...CSU...UNC...many colleges in Colorado. It is CU I meant to say. They're all state schools so I automatically add the State part. I went to DU for my master's degree and DU stands for University of Denver. Shouldn't it be UD instead? :D Anyway, you're right...I mixed the two schools up. Sorry about that.

Our grandaughter may end up at Denver u for her master's and her finace might transfer there next semester. She has a lead on a job, actully in boulder, but she doesn't want to go to school there so is talking DU. It is still very much up in the air as I think she will take a year off anyway. Happy cruisin" NMNita

I'm truely sorry you had to put up with such nonsense. The lions share of us do not book a cruise for this type of activity. There is NO excuse for that type of behavior on a cruise.

I'm am very interested in learning how your Cruise Critic Meet went and would be very grateful to know your contacts with NCL, especially any you had on board before leaving.

Thanks

My wife and I are in our sixties. The past two years, we cruised with grandchildren during the third week of March for their spring break. Both cruises were out of New Orleans. Two years ago, we were on the Carnival Holiday and last year on the Carnival Conquest. We did not notice such rude and crude behavior by college students on those cruises. However, I suspect that few UF students were onboard since driving distance from Gainesville to embarkation ports like Miami, Lauderdale, and Tampe is much less than to New Orleans.

Although we are skipping cruising during spring break this year, we have already made reservations for three cabins on the Norwegian Sun out of New Orleans for March 19-26, 2006. Hopefully, we won't see any UF students on that one.

I might add that I am a professor at the University of Alabama. This year, a group of Alabama students are scheduled to go to the Florida Panhandle during spring break and build a house for Habitat for Humanity. I know this because the University is seeking an additional faculty member to go along with the students and serve as a chaperone.

Roll Tide!

This year, a group of Alabama students are scheduled to go to the Florida Panhandle during spring break and build a house for Habitat for Humanity.

A few of our cruises have been in March (with Carnival) and we've never had big problems with college students either. It may be because Carnival will not leave a 21 year old "in charge" of passengers under 21. It's incredible that the University made these arrangements. UF has always been high on the list of "party" schools though. Regarding Alabama students, my DD goes to the University of West Florida in Pensacola and has also spent her breaks helping to build houses for Habitat for Humanity. It must have been horrible for the passengers on this cruise. Hopefully, some action will be taken by either NCL or UF and your cruise next year won' be a repeat of this one.

Now I realize there is NO excuse for bad behavior no matter when/where or how long the cruise is but I'm also thinking that taking a shorter cruise (in this case a 5 day as compared to a 7 day or longer one) will most likely attract the younger kids who cannot afford to pay more money.

I am leaving on March 18th on the 9 day Spirit cruise, and yes, we booked it because my elementary and high school children are both on Spring Break that week, but I am also thinking that while there will be kids, I don't believe there will be lots of College Students on a longer cruise.

And while I have cruised the past couple of years in March, during Spring Break, I have thank goodness never had a problem like the one you guys encountered.

So, while it is too late now, just a simple suggestion, if you don't have to cruise between end of February - mid April, don't. And, if you do have to cruise during that time, if at all possible, try to book the longer cruise....

My understanding was that the 3-5 day cruises, and not only on NCL were literally considered 'PARTY CRUISES".....

I'll let you all know how a 9 day during Spring Break Week cruise goes in when I return...

being a college student myself, I can understand both views; that it could ruin the vacation or you have to take it with a grain of salt. the cruise ship should have done a better job controlling the out of control students (i would imagine that all of them weren't out of control but the few always ruin it for the bunch).

but with that said, I don't think it should have let it ruin your vacation. i think many people need to remember everyone that goes on a cruise is not going for relaxation...there are some who go to party and drink and whatever. but just because they want to do that, it shouldn't make your WHOLE vacation bad. life throws curveballs at you always and you just gotta deal. I'm not saying that at times I wouldn't have been mad but I wouldn't have let it ruin my whole time. But also I can understand where people say I spent alot of money on this and I deserve relaxation. But like i said, there are people who spent all that money to have a week on the seas partying.

with that said, you just gotta take what life gives you. hope this babbling made sense.

being a college student myself, I can understand both views; that it could ruin the vacation or you have to take it with a grain of salt. the cruise ship should have done a better job controlling the out of control students (i would imagine that all of them weren't out of control but the few always ruin it for the bunch).

but with that said, I don't think it should have let it ruin your vacation. i think many people need to remember everyone that goes on a cruise is not going for relaxation...there are some who go to party and drink and whatever. but just because they want to do that, it shouldn't make your WHOLE vacation bad. life throws curveballs at you always and you just gotta deal. I'm not saying that at times I wouldn't have been mad but I wouldn't have let it ruin my whole time. But also I can understand where people say I spent alot of money on this and I deserve relaxation. But like i said, there are people who spent all that money to have a week on the seas partying.

with that said, you just gotta take what life gives you. hope this babbling made sense.

My opinion is that NCL was doing alot to try and contol them... but come on when they have to fly in Miami Police Officers to Grand Caymen because the MAJORITY of the kids were inappropriate and some were DAMAGING the ship?We continually witnessed NCL crew, Officers and everyone in between trying to control the group. It was impossible to effectively handle it. Most everywhere we went, we encountered a drunk college kid. One night in the Atrium, we witnessed three security people trying to get an out of control, drunk girl (so drunk she did not know her small, tight clothes were falling off her body) to her room. She could not walk on her own. Another evening, we passed a boy so drunk he was drooling, barely walking and carrying a drink that he could not hold upright. So the drink was running out of the glass, landing on the beautiful gold colored carpet and spraying up as people walked by and I should add it looked as though it was a rum punch. On a tender at 9:00 in the morning, there were a group of 4 girls sitting by us who had already starting drinking on ship, could not wait to get off the tender to start drinking again. They were loud, inappropriate behavior and language and only talked about how many shots they had consumed the night before. One girl said, I don't understand why I don't feel good, I must be seasick! Ummm, hello!!!! This behavior continued the entire tender with our fear that they would vomit all over us. They totally disregarded the elderly couple near us, the group of French Canadians and a young family with two kids. One day I'm on the elevator with two girls, I get off on the 10th floor, they are going to 12 and when I exit, they rudely commented on my appearance and laughed. So basically, don't blame NCL for their bad behavior. How could we expect them to control what came out of their mouths. Bottom line, everytime you left your room you would encounter some similar story.

To other posters who indicated it was a small group. We had several engagements with Officers throughout the cruise who indicated that the number of students were much higher, in the 1000 range. Because college kids are inclined to the pool and buffet area, it made it impossible for us to have a good time trying to relax in those areas. But no matter where you went on the ship, you would encounter a drunk. You know what an Officer said to us to show you how much they cared about this problem. He said, he and the crew were so frustrated because this group was so out of control, they had to pull crew members off their typical jobs to do crowd control which meant that service levels in other areas would drop.

I could go on and on about this issue but to all the posters here, if you weren't there, please do not minimize the true extent of the problem. And again, I will still state that we had a wonderful time. The crew is wonderful and the ship is beautiful. Plus, I had five solid days with my husband, great food, lovely ports and our first ever Penthouse. Can I ever cruise again without one?

I'm truely sorry you had to put up with such nonsense. The lions share of us do not book a cruise for this type of activity. There is NO excuse for that type of behavior on a cruise.

I'm am very interested in learning how your Cruise Critic Meet went and would be very grateful to know your contacts with NCL, especially any you had on board before leaving.

Thanks

Hi boomboom51, The contact I used was chernandez@ncl.com. She sent me an email in advance indicating time and location. Ours was 11:00 a.m. in the Brig Room on our first sea day. When we got on board, there was a note in our room from Angelina Belleza confirming the get together and a request from her to contact her to reconfirm. They sent Rob (Food and Beverage Director) and the hotel director Tony Becker. If they assign you the same location, it was a bit difficult to find. But it is right near the Shore Excursion Desk. It does have a main entrance to the passageway but not labeled. It is only labeled when you go down a small hallway by the Shore Excursion Desk. Mr. Becker provided us a wonderful overview of the Spirit and future plans for drydock, plus an online scheduling system for reservations. We very much appreciated their attendance. Coffee, tea, juice and multiple kinds of cookies were provided.

Regarding Alabama students, my DD goes to the University of West Florida in Pensacola and has also spent her breaks helping to build houses for Habitat for Humanity.
I got my undergraduate degree from the University of West Florida! Go Argonauts! OK...so it's not a big sports school. The golf team is pretty good though and in Florida, that's important. ;) Even back when I went to UWF they had groups of kids building Habitat houses over spring break ( I was there in the early 90s.) I always had to work or do a school project that was due after the break. So much for partying on the beach during my spring breaks! It's good to know that there are still kids out there doing constructive things during their vacations.
being a college student myself, I can understand both views; that it could ruin the vacation or you have to take it with a grain of salt.
I appreciate your opinion but I don't think it's as simple as you make it sound. Unlike a land based vacation, on a cruise ship there's no where else to go. So if it was as bad as many have said, then there was no way to escape the problem. And at what point does a partier's right to party for a week because they paid the fare outweigh the average vacationer's right to a peaceful vacation? Why does the partier get to have it their way and everyone else has to "take it with a grain of salt" as if it's the average cruiser that needs to get over it.

My opinion is that NCL was doing alot to try and contol them... but come on when they have to fly in Miami Police Officers to Grand Caymen because the MAJORITY of the kids were inappropriate and some were DAMAGING the ship?We continually witnessed NCL crew, Officers and everyone in between trying to control the group. It was impossible to effectively handle it. Most everywhere we went, we encountered a drunk college kid. One night in the Atrium, we witnessed three security people trying to get an out of control, drunk girl (so drunk she did not know her small, tight clothes were falling off her body) to her room. She could not walk on her own. Another evening, we passed a boy so drunk he was drooling, barely walking and carrying a drink that he could not hold upright. So the drink was running out of the glass, landing on the beautiful gold colored carpet and spraying up as people walked by and I should add it looked as though it was a rum punch. On a tender at 9:00 in the morning, there were a group of 4 girls sitting by us who had already starting drinking on ship, could not wait to get off the tender to start drinking again. They were loud, inappropriate behavior and language and only talked about how many shots they had consumed the night before. One girl said, I don't understand why I don't feel good, I must be seasick! Ummm, hello!!!! This behavior continued the entire tender with our fear that they would vomit all over us. They totally disregarded the elderly couple near us, the group of French Canadians and a young family with two kids. One day I'm on the elevator with two girls, I get off on the 10th floor, they are going to 12 and when I exit, they rudely commented on my appearance and laughed. So basically, don't blame NCL for their bad behavior. How could we expect them to control what came out of their mouths. Bottom line, everytime you left your room you would encounter some similar story.

To other posters who indicated it was a small group. We had several engagements with Officers throughout the cruise who indicated that the number of students were much higher, in the 1000 range. Because college kids are inclined to the pool and buffet area, it made it impossible for us to have a good time trying to relax in those areas. But no matter where you went on the ship, you would encounter a drunk. You know what an Officer said to us to show you how much they cared about this problem. He said, he and the crew were so frustrated because this group was so out of control, they had to pull crew members off their typical jobs to do crowd control which meant that service levels in other areas would drop.

I could go on and on about this issue but to all the posters here, if you weren't there, please do not minimize the true extent of the problem. And again, I will still state that we had a wonderful time. The crew is wonderful and the ship is beautiful. Plus, I had five solid days with my husband, great food, lovely ports and our first ever Penthouse. Can I ever cruise again without one?

I apologize about this experience because if this was happening to me, I know I would have been just as perturbed (sp?). I guess I did not understand the full extent of the situation. I was just playing Devil's advocate I guess. There are times when the fun interferes with other passengers' fun and it becomes a problem. I for one am not going on this cruise to "booze it up" and cause a ruckus. I'm going for the relaxation, time to spend with my bf, and the overall great experience a cruise has to offer.

Once again I'm sorry this group of students behaved like this (I'm not included in that group :p ) and I hope future cruises for anyone is not like that.

What a horror:eek: I don`t know what I would have done in this situation, but, I know I wouldn`t have taken it with a grain of salt!

No one has the right ,paid or not, to do this. I would bet that they got a much better rate then the reg. paying pax. being a large group.

I really, really do hope NCL has learned a lesson here. It is a black eye on the product, as well as the school AND our youth. What garbage:mad:

I guess I did not understand the full extent of the situation. I was just playing Devil's advocate I guess.
It's good that you were playing the devil's advocate. That's what's so great about this board. If more people engage in thoughtful discussion, we can all better understand the issue and see more than one side of the story. I know that when I was 18 I lived by the mantra, "If it's too loud, you're too old." I was all about partying and having a good time. I think kids go through that phase. I'm sure there were times when I made someone else's experience less enjoyable because I was maybe too loud, etc. I wasn't right. Then again, at the time, I probably didn't care. So those students on the ship were, in essense, doing what most college kids do. The difference is that it was on a ship, where everything is concentrated. More consideration should have been given to other passengers not looking for a 7 day booze cruise. Let's hope NCL learned from this experience and will think twice before doing it again. Unless, of course, other colleges have contracted big groups of rooms for other cruises this month. ;)

In response to your message...

I am a 20 year old UF student who had a wonderful cruise on the NCL Spirit. My friends and I enjoyed every moment of our cruise. We talked with many married couples and retired folks who didn't expect that the ship would be filled with college students. Most of them had good things to say and understood that it was a small, yet feisty, minority that gave the young people on the ship a bad name. It disturbs me that you did not realize this. For someone who attended UF I am surprised that you would discourage others to hold back donations to our school and also tell high schoolers that they should not apply to our wonderful institution. I promise you that the behavior of this select group of students who decided to spend their vacation carousing and acting inappropriately is not unique to our university--there are students like this at EVERY school. Moreover, the events that took place on this cruise are in no way correllated to the academic excellence and community service that UF students are known for. Maybe you should stop by your alma mater when school is in session and take a look around, I am sure you'd be very impressed with the make-up of our student body which has improved tremendously since you've been there.

Just to clarify...

There were probably about 600 UF students, at most 800. I heard it was 30%. Also, NCL required one person in the cabin be at least 21, however I am sure many people lied about the birthday.

We attended a meeting with Officers and met with the Captain. The number quoted by two Officers was 1200 students. The Captain said 1000 students. Our experience was quite opposite of yours... everyone we talked with spoke of the horrendous activities, inappropriate behavior and disappointment recognizing it was the majority, and not a "small, feisty minority" as you experienced. Certainly, if it were a small minority causing the trouble, NCL would not have found it necessary to fly in two Miami Police Officers, make public announcements everyday by the Captain and send a letter to every stateroom. Perhaps the minority was the two students put off the ship by NCL in Roatan.

I am glad you had a good time on your cruise. We did too despite having to avoid certain areas of the ship and having to witness everyday drunken, obnoxious individuals. We normally bring our children and my in-laws but I'm glad they weren't along this time to experience this. In addition, we are still trying to come to grips with the lack of morals and character of the young people we experienced on this trip. It made us very sad and disheartened.

Archived