Spirit 2/27 review: Animal House at Sea

wbrumel

I have read this thread from the first to the last post. I posted on another thread that I would like to know if there was a way to know if a large group was on my cruise. The answer I got was why do you want to know. I answered the poster, but whatever my reasons are/were shouldn't make a difference. No one answered how to find out. As far as this cruise is concerned, I think the only thing that will help future cruisers, even though it probably/might not/ help you, would be to personally write a letter to the president of NCL expressing your concerns. I don't know how I would have reacted to the cruise. I might write a lot, but in person I don't say a lot. I know I would have been more than a little upset if not able to use the pool, hot tub etc. My husband probably would have been complaining to the front desk. We do go on a cruise to relax, enjoy ourselves with the pampering etc. It seems that those of you on the ship weren't able to do that. I do appreciate that NCL did what they could, but weren't able to do it all themselves. I just hope that NCL learned that getting money from passengers isn't all there is to making a great cruiseline. I have learned to NOT take a cruise during spring break.

Katie

:rolleyes: CruisinfromMN, after I wrote a letter to the president of the University of Florida and copied two vice-presidents, you asked me to let everyone know if I received a response.

I did hear from the school!

A representative from the college called my home two days ago. Purpose of the contact? The university would really like another contribution from me.

Obviously, the concerns expressed in my letter were of no value to the recipients. I realize now that it's time for me to get with it.

My love of the Honor Code? Oh, please. . . How could I be so corny? My hope that the university would be as alarmed as I about the drunken bullies all over the Spirit? Good grief! What was I thinking? It's spring break! Anything goes. I need to get myself a life! And, I must NOT forget the most hilarious part of my letter. I actually stated that I wouldn't be giving any more contributions. Now really!! How dare I! How totally unfair of me! I should be confined to a tender in rough seas with U of F students shouting profanities until I learn my lesson.

Yes. It must be admitted that my letter was of no value. . .

But, the money in my checking account. . . Ah, now THAT'S worth a phone call!

:rolleyes: CruisinfromMN, after I wrote a letter to the president of the University of Florida and copied two vice-presidents, you asked me to let everyone know if I received a response.

I did hear from the school!

A representative from the college called my home two days ago. Purpose of the contact? The university would really like another contribution from me.

Obviously, the concerns expressed in my letter were of no value to the recipients. I realize now that it's time for me to get with it.

My love of the Honor Code? Oh, please. . . How could I be so corny? My hope that the university would be as alarmed as I about the drunken bullies all over the Spirit? Good grief! What was I thinking? It's spring break! Anything goes. I need to get myself a life! And, I must NOT forget the most hilarious part of my letter. I actually stated that I wouldn't be giving any more contributions. Now really!! How dare I! How totally unfair of me! I should be confined to a tender in rough seas with U of F students shouting profanities until I learn my lesson.

Yes. It must be admitted that my letter was of no value. . .

But, the money in my checking account. . . Ah, now THAT'S worth a phone call!

Sandpepples, Thank you for updating us. I wished you would have received the response you were hoping for from UF. I do hope we have the opportunity to meet you someday while cruising... we share similar values and outlooks, it would be a privilege to meet you.

Well, I wasn't on this cruise, but I felt like I should throw in my two cents...

I am a 23-year-old college senior at the University of Oklahoma. I just returned from a cruise on the Diamond Princess out of LA for my spring break, and I've got news for you - the large groups of USC spring breakers onboard acted surprisingly classy for the sheer numbers of them there. So, my first point is that just because it's spring break and there's lots of college students onboard, doesn't always equal trouble. The USC groups were always dressed very nicely, behaved appropriately for the most part, and though there were many who were intoxicated, it never reached mayhem or anything even close. There were a lot more drunk old men that bothered me more...

And, just before anyone jumps to conclusions and puts me with the spring-breaker crowd, I was on this cruise with my 52-year-old mother...plus, I'm married and have been out of that "party scene" for quite some time now.

However, all that said, the unfortunate fact is that the majority of schools in the US have students that when put together in a resort setting with the ingredients for "fun" - alcohol, sun, and the opposite sex - usually spells wild, rambunctious trouble. Please do not single out UF. The school and the students as representatives of the school did nothing wrong. (Let me explain) Yes, the wild students on the Spirit cruise acted inappropriately - no doubt about that. However, how on earth was the school responsible for this? And how on earth did these students become representatives or ambassadors of their school?

The school itself obviously had no responsibility because I'm sure they didn't do anything other than approve the ads that went out for the cruise group. Obviously one of the campus activities councils organized this, took money, and distributed tickets. It doesn't sound like it was a true, organized school-sponsored function. So, the University of Florida really doesn't have any problem here - it just so happens that THIS TIME, the offending students were from that school.

As for the students as ambassadors - I don't think so. They obviously weren't onboard to attend some sort of convention or for prospective student recruitment. They were there to enjoy themselves and relax on vacation. Quite apparently, some took this way too far...but why would you judge a school on a group of students who are on spring break?

While in Mazatlan on my spring break cruise, we went to a popular resort hotel to spend the afternoon. The place was literally crawling with spring breakers, all wearing shirts and hats from their various universities. Some of the spring breakers were highly intoxicated, others were just being obnoxious on the beach, but most were well behaved. Point is, I didn't look at the obnoxious guy's hat and say, "Oh, he and his friends must go to ABC University - I would never go there now!!" or something to that effect....

Okay, long enough...just wanted to make my point that it wasn't UF's fault, among other things.

I just want to comment on one portion of your post regarding Ambassadors. The students made themselves Ambassadors of the school by their frequent screaming UF, UF, UF. It was seen and heard at the pool, in the hot tubs, while running down the hallways at all hours of day and night. At dinner in the Teppanyaki room, a couple who had too much too drink, proceeding to order a bottle of wine, introduced themselves not as Mike and so and so, but as we are UF Students. Never did find out what their names were. So while the school officials may not view the students as ambassadors, we did as UF was in our face all the time.

One day by the hot tub, a group begins to raise a large flag (perhaps 3 foot by 4) and we're thinking this is going to be a college flag. While it wasn't, it was a cross and skullbones/pirate like thing. It flew for a while. Thankfully the ship crew made them take it down. I know, I know this is totally unrelated to the topic of ambassadors, but I just needed to get it off my chest.

:) Hi, cruisingfromMN! Thank you for your kind words. My biggest regret about the Spirit cruise is that I didn't attend the Cruise Critics meeting you worked so hard to organize. I missed my chance to meet you, but I'm hoping we'll meet some time in the future.

My husband and I have cruised twice on The Spirit. (We just love this beautiful ship.)

Our next cruise is in October with Holland America (The Oosterdamn [sp?]). The one after that is February 5, 2006 on Rhapsody of the Seas (Royal Caribbean). We've really become hooked on cruising, and I'm looking forward to experiencing different ships and cruise lines.

I am hoping that somehow I'll get to meet you and your DH. After reading your fabulous reviews and message posts, I feel as though I know you already.

Thanks for elaborating on the "ambassador" issue. As always, you found just the right words!

:) Hi, cruisingfromMN! Thank you for your kind words. My biggest regret about the Spirit cruise is that I didn't attend the Cruise Critics meeting you worked so hard to organize. I missed my chance to meet you, but I'm hoping we'll meet some time in the future.

My husband and I have cruised twice on The Spirit. (We just love this beautiful ship.)

Our next cruise is in October with Holland America (The Oosterdamn [sp?]). The one after that is February 5, 2006 on Rhapsody of the Seas (Royal Caribbean). We've really become hooked on cruising, and I'm looking forward to experiencing different ships and cruise lines.

I am hoping that somehow I'll get to meet you and your DH. After reading your fabulous reviews and message posts, I feel as though I know you already.

Thanks for elaborating on the "ambassador" issue. As always, you found just the right words!

We loved the Spirit and REALLY want to sail her again, so much so that we tried to book while on-board. However, we did not realize that the Spirit will be sailing out of NY next year. Can't convince my DH to do this. How wonderful you have two vacations already lined up. Now, I'm sounding spoiled...we have one, this summer to Alaska but already thinking about beyond that. We have never tried a different cruise line as we are hooked on Freestyle! I'm sure we will keep in touch here! Take care.

I just want to comment on one portion of your post regarding Ambassadors. The students made themselves Ambassadors of the school by their frequent screaming UF, UF, UF. It was seen and heard at the pool, in the hot tubs, while running down the hallways at all hours of day and night. At dinner in the Teppanyaki room, a couple who had too much too drink, proceeding to order a bottle of wine, introduced themselves not as Mike and so and so, but as we are UF Students. Never did find out what their names were. So while the school officials may not view the students as ambassadors, we did as UF was in our face all the time.

One day by the hot tub, a group begins to raise a large flag (perhaps 3 foot by 4) and we're thinking this is going to be a college flag. While it wasn't, it was a cross and skullbones/pirate like thing. It flew for a while. Thankfully the ship crew made them take it down. I know, I know this is totally unrelated to the topic of ambassadors, but I just needed to get it off my chest.

Every time someone on that cruise adds another detail, I just get more and more disgusted by the behavior of the drunk & rude students (notice I specified which students, as I know not all were/are like that, so don't beat or flame me!) on that ship. I am SO GLAD I was not there and I am so sorry you cruisers had to have that be any part of your own cruise experience.

I too feel sorry for anyone who was on this cruise!!

I also have to say if I was a parent paying for my child's education at UF and found out about "bad" behavior on any kind of a spring break trip - the checks would stop and you would be on your own.

This is Easter break week for our high school. My son told me that 2 kids in his band were going on a Princess cruise unaccompanied by any adults. They are 18. I can't even imagine allowing (and paying for) my 18 year to go on a "party" trip. He said the kids were going on and on about getting drunk, sleeping around etc. This after a kid from our high school was killed on spring break last year in Cancun. I just don't understand a lot of parents.

cruisingfromMN and JimBug,

I certainly appreciate your position and commend you on your posts below. I feel I must add that we cruised on the Dream two weeks ago, and yes there were a large number of college spring breakers aboard. While I sympathize with those on the Spirit cruise, not all college spring breakers should be lumped into the same catagory.

I also must add that while they were engergetic, partying in the bar at the pool, I at no time felt them to be overbearing or obnoxious...and yes I'm over fifty......

I would expect the swim up bar to be the party area. The party group did not congregate anywhere else that we noticed, so it was easy to find less rowdy areas......also, by the time mid week hit, and the bar tabs were tallied, the partying reduced considerably.

I just caught up with this and have to say I am shocked that more of you do not hold NCL responsible. No, I"m not saying the offenders shouldn't be responsible for their behaviour, but rather that NCL should have an age limitation - and yes, it is perfectly legal (I believe Carnival did that to shed its image as a party line).

There is no way NCL should have accepted a block booking of college kids like that. The result is emminently forseeable. I would be furious and demanding my money back.

BTW, how many people who have read this thread are now going to avoid NCL? Or at least during the months of Feb-April? And how much money did NCL lose on overtime and repairs for that infamous cruise? Frankly, it should be very much in their self interest to insure that these large underage bookings are a thing of the past.

One question - it appears that hardly anyone even wrote NCL of their disgust? Has there been any response from NCL or comment on this?

My husband wrote a letter to NCL and we received a response today. They were very sorry about how our cruise turned out. We were sorry about the problems on the Spirit while we were cruising, but as I have said in previous posts we did not let it ruin our cruise. We had a wonderful time, loved the ship and her crew and are planning 2 more cruises on NCL in the next yr. or so. But I have to admit we won't cruise in late Feb. or March again. LOL Though I think NCL has partly tried to fix the problem by not having short cruises.

I was on this cruise and mailed a letter to the President/CEO on March 17. Thus far, he has not responded.

As I posted before, my husband and I managed to have great fun in spite of the "animals." However, I do have some concerns regarding the marketing of the cruise, safety issues, and customer service. If there is no response by the end of next week, NCL will hear from me again.

and it sounds like there was some really bad behavior on board. We had a fairly small group of spring breakers on our cruise a few weeks ago. We were on a tender with a very drunk group and had some hot tub incidents, but nothing major. The only thing I want to point out, is that I don't necessarily think this type of behavior is anything new to this generation of kids. In my day ( quite awhile a go) kids always went to Ft. Lauderdale or someplace like that. The difference is that it was ALL kids and so no one had to worry about behaving around children, elderly, bothering others. Would we, if they had been around? I'm not sure, but I really doubt it. I know we would have been drunk, noisy, and stayed up all night. Maybe the use of bad language all the time is, but bad behavior at spring break I don't think is the legacy of any particular generation, nor any particular college. I'd guess any college with a group that large would have had some pretty bad behavior going on. Wonder what would have happened if NCL could have gotten ahold of the Dean or President of UF and threatened them with expulsion or something with teeth in it?

and it sounds like there was some really bad behavior on board. We had a fairly small group of spring breakers on our cruise a few weeks ago. We were on a tender with a very drunk group and had some hot tub incidents, but nothing major. The only thing I want to point out, is that I don't necessarily think this type of behavior is anything new to this generation of kids. In my day ( quite awhile a go) kids always went to Ft. Lauderdale or someplace like that. The difference is that it was ALL kids and so no one had to worry about behaving around children, elderly, bothering others. Would we, if they had been around? I'm not sure, but I really doubt it. I know we would have been drunk, noisy, and stayed up all night. Maybe the use of bad language all the time is, but bad behavior at spring break I don't think is the legacy of any particular generation, nor any particular college. I'd guess any college with a group that large would have had some pretty bad behavior going on. Wonder what would have happened if NCL could have gotten ahold of the Dean or President of UF and threatened them with expulsion or something with teeth in it?

Thank you for your post. I appreciate your comments. One main difference in a cruise and a place like Ft. Lauderdale... on a cruise you have very few options of trying to remove yourself from the situation.

I have tried in all my posts in this thread to stay focused to only the facts of this cruise with this group of kids, as opposed to every college kid is guilty because of my Feb. 27th vacation experience. I will say that my years in college during spring break was nothing like we witnessed here. Furthermore, I believe times and generations have changed and unfortunately for the worse when it comes to what it means in having a good time.

Anyone who re-reads the threads from Sandpebbles, Cruising from MN, and me will notice that we have all focused on this particular group and have tried very hard not to generalize to all college students.

I would not have spent 30 years as a college administrator if I did not enjoy interacting with college students; however, the behavior of THIS GROUP on THIS CRUISE was deplorable. On the tender back from Grand Cayman, we sat next to a group of four young ladies who were delightful, but all my other attempts at conversation with the students were met with contempt and rudeness. What I continue to wonder is whether these students are unique to UF or to the sororities/fraternities to which they belong. If that is the case, there is a real problem there. Sandpebbles - I am hoping you will get a response from the University other than another call for a donation....icon9.gif sure would like to know how they weigh in on the situation.

If you go to Fort Lauderdale during spring break, you have an idea of what to expect, and if you don't like it, you can pack up and leave. We did not have that option, and I do hold NCL somewhat responsible for not cracking down on the rowdies out of respect for the rest of us. Hopefully, I will hear back from them soon in response to my letter.

Cruising is about getting away from it all, having a good time, and enjoying oneself. Those of you following this thread, know I was on the February 27 NCL Spirit cruise. Although I had a great time, I was sickened by the behavior of the college spring breakers from the University of Florida. (I earned two degrees from that college "back in the day.")

My reflections have gone beyond whether or not I had fun. More and more, I am haunted by how these young people conducted themselves.

I've spent a little time doing some research on college binge drinking. If you wish to learn more about what's going on with our young people, you might check out the following:

Harvard University conducted a study of binge drinking among college students in 1993, 1997, 1999, and 2001. Four-year colleges (119 of them) in 38 states and the District of Columbia were used for the study. If you are raising children, you might want to read the results of this research. There are numerous articles available. Just type "Harvard Study on Binge Drinking" into Google.

"Curbing Underage Binge Drinking" by Paul C. Reisser, M.D. is an excellent article. http://www.family.org/physmag/issues/a0012722.cfm

Finally, if you can take it, read on-line conversations among college students around the country who are bragging about why their school should be considered a top-notch party school.

Just passing this research along to those who may have felt a deep sense of alarm about what we witnessed on the cruise.

I feel part of the problem is that kids are not exposed to alcohol until a later age when they are at college and therefore it is 'new' and 'exciting' to them.

You don't see as much binge drinking in Continental Europe, where kids are given wine with water from a fairly young age and the legal drinking age is 14 and up. If someone is not supposed to do something it usually makes it all the more exciting for them to do it.

• 8 months later...
. ... everyone we talked with spoke of the horrendous activities, inappropriate behavior and disappointment recognizing it was the majority, and not a "small, feisty minority" as you experienced. .

In the end, it does not matter whether it was a 'small, feisty minority' or a large number of people if a $5000 cruise is ruined. Not all of us are able to close in on ourselves and ignore the CONSTANT interference of rude and inconsiderate people, drunk or not. True, anyone can become loud or rude with too much to drink, and I can live with that; it is the continual horror-house activities that posters here are referring to which is totally unacceptable. And if you younger posters think that society does not attribute the disreputable actions of a few to the many, think again! Teenagers have had a poor reputation for decades, despite the fact that the majority of them are fine people.

Wow! It's been over 9 months since someone posted on this thread. Why revisit it again?

WOW! This was my same thought when I saw this thread on the first page. Hopefully, my post will be the last one here so that this can, once again, drop to the bowels of CC.

My husband is an incredible romantic, and wanted to get married on the first day of Spring. Aaaah. The first anniversary trip we took that was actually on our anniversary convinced us to celebrate at other times of the year! :eek:

We're actually sailing in March for our 25th anniversary, but it's a 10 day sailing which should hopefully reduce the amount of nonsense. But since we booked the cruise last year, we've been somewhat anticipating that the cruise may not be ideal in every respect because of Spring Break.

But it's worth the risk to us to renew our vows in Ste. Maarten with family and friends (good thing our son is a college drop-out to he can join us!). :p

Happy sailing, Carla

• 3 months later...

I was on that cruise and found this review last year.

First of all I AM A COLLEGE STUDENT > But not UF......

I had a group of graduation Masters degree UF students that are close friends invite me on this cruise. When i first heard about it was around OCT/NOV 2004. They told me a "group" of UF students was planning to cruise on same ship. The reason

1. for this was that UF spring break was 2 weeks earlier than most other florida colleges. Every year each school is either the same or slightly different. Because of this, one of the ONLY cruise ships leaving on that week for 5 days was the SPIRIT. So this is the reason for the giant concentration of UF students.

2. They told me a couple Sororities and Fraternaties had got together to plan this and that there would be "a few of them" there. I took this as 4-5 and maybe 200-300 AT MOST.

I had no idea of the 800+ either. But as a "college student" I actually liked it because it meant more people our age to party with. I know you guys hated this but think of it from their perspective.

Would you rather have a few of your friends and 1300 "old people" and families on your spring break? OR 800 of your friends from your school to party with?

NCL had no reason to inform you of this because they don't ask booking guest those kinda questions(reason for going, school, affiliation). That is discrimination. And for them to warn older folks that younger(over 21 but still of legal age) people are going is ridiculous. They don't have to tell you that adults are going............... I see your fustration but its a BUSINESS not a Private Club. As for booking on spring break time, that is your hindsight. Yeah maybe you didn't expect THAT MANY students. And maybe you thought that it was TOO EARLY for spring break. Sorry. Hindsight is a bitch.

As for the behavior I am not apologizing for anyone because first I am not a UF student, and Second those students were all ADULTS and are responsible for their own behavior. Sorry to be blunt but thats how I feel. I DO admit that Vandalism and such is not appropriate. However cursing, being loud and drunkeness are NOT AGAINST THE LAW> You may have wanted a peacful cruise with all older/families but thats life and sorry. People act how they wan't. I know you think you had a RIGHT to a peaceful cruise, but the cruise is not resposible for how their guest act, unless they violate laws or rules. Sorry the pools were crowded but what did you expect.

Unfortunatley MOST college kids on spring break in mass numbers act that way. Unfortunatley MOST college kids on spring break in mass numbers act that way.YES TWICE>Think DAYTONA PANAMA CANCUN. Small groups are more behaved. Another BIG HUGE FACTOR was that they were MOSTLY FRAT BOYS AND SORORITY GIRLS. These groups act way more rowdy and rude than average students. And put them together in a small ship with tons of liquor and that spells FRAT PARTY. MOST COLLEGE STUDENTS NOT IN A GREEK CLUB AND NOT ON SPRING BREAK ARE NORMAL RESPONSIBLE PEOPLE.

As for MY PERSONAL BEHAVIOR.

My group of about 15 acted very mature. We all where 22/23 yo with little connections to the majority of the UF students. As I said my friends were in their masters program. We were already planning a cruise and when they heard about a "few" UF groups going we decided it would be fun with people our own age.

We did NOT DO ANY OF THE FOLLOWING:

BE LOUD IN THE HALLWAYS AT NIGHT. DRINK IN HALLWAYS. DAMAGE ANYTHING. BE RUDE TO ANYONE. CURSE ALOUD. ACT TOTALLY DRUNK AND WASTED. USE THE POOLS(TOO CROWDED;)) OR ANY OTHER CRASS STUFF.

WE SIMPLY HAD A GOD TIME, ATE DRANK, GAMBLED AND BE MERRY.

THAT IS MY TAKE ON THE WHOLE THING.

Archived