Spirit 2/27 review: Animal House at Sea

wbrumel

go on any (7 day or under) caribbean cruise, to any theme park, or to any beach that caters to all ages on Spring Break... all of which have stories akin to or WORSE than these... what exactly did NCL do here??

Personal Responsibility, people. That's what it all comes down to. Period.

I would just like to know what lesson NCL should learn? Are you suggesting that NCL turn away business? How are they supposed to know how passengers will act on their cruises...

Lesson do not alow an agency that markets primarily to spring breakers to book a massive block of rooms. They could have sold the cabins at a rate equal or greater then the $417 per student on the open market.

This represents a difficult situation -- there's no way NCL could have turned that group away -- these pax all qualify to sail, they're all of NCL's sailing age, they're all willing to pay for their cruise well up front and block this huge group-- what do you say?? "No, based on the stereotype of a specific percentage of your demographic, you will be limited to 40 cabins based on how some of you MIGHT behave"... though it may be true more often than not, you just can't do that... Imagine the racial and ethnic stereotypes you could use when denying guests the right to book... I won't even cite examples out of good taste, but you can imagine.

This represents a difficult situation -- there's no way NCL could have turned that group away -- these pax all qualify to sail, they're all of NCL's sailing age, they're all willing to pay for their cruise well up front and block this huge group-- what do you say?? "No, based on the stereotype of a specific percentage of your demographic, you will be limited to 40 cabins based on how some of you MIGHT behave"... though it may be true more often than not, you just can't do that... Imagine the racial and ethnic stereotypes you could use when denying guests the right to book... I won't even cite examples out of good taste, but you can imagine.
I have to disagree with your comparisons here. Spring breakers notorious for causing trouble are far different from random ethnic or racial groups. I'm assuming that NCL can limit the number of rooms they allow any travel agent to block if they feel there will be possible damage to the ship or safety concerns for other passengers. Car rental companies don't rent to anyone under 25. Why? Could it be that people under 25 tend to wrech cars more often than those over 25? Isn't that the same thing. I understand the point you're making I just don't agree with it.

I have to disagree with your comparisons here. Spring breakers notorious for causing trouble are far different from random ethnic or racial groups. I'm assuming that NCL can limit the number of rooms they allow any travel agent to block if they feel there will be possible damage to the ship or safety concerns for other passengers. Car rental companies don't rent to anyone under 25. Why? Could it be that people under 25 tend to wrech cars more often than those over 25? Isn't that the same thing. I understand the point you're making I just don't agree with it.

Right, but that is the policy of car rental companies... they don't rent to under 25. NCL DOES allow 21 and up to cruise alone. Unless the policy as a whole changes, you can't disallow these people to book. Should you not allow a large church group of young adults to book? A large group of early-20's peace corps volunteers? You simply have no choice when it comes to discrimination - you can't do it. I went on plenty of spring breaks in my day, and most kids are good people, well behaved, and care about responsibility. Barring a situation where there are sanctioned activities that promote bad behavior or selling to a group that advertises these activities, you just can't do it.

I would just like to know what lesson NCL should learn? Are you suggesting that NCL turn away business? How are they supposed to know how passengers will act on their cruises...

They know to whom they are marketing. This is a campus agency with a school that has a rep for partiers. Don`t give them a cheap rate and HAVE THEM PUT A 300 DOLLAR ABOVE AND BEYOND NON REFUNDABLE DEPOSIT IF THERE IS ANY DAMAGE. This may keep the trash away.

Again, I was on this cruise and I kept thinking why don't they limit the amount of drinks they served to those young people. Now I'm sure "all" those drunk kids weren't over 21, so someone 21 musta been doing the buying. Just think how many drinks were showing up on some of these kids' ship cards. I don't even want to think how high most of those bills were when they were delivered to the rooms. Now I know NCL is out to make their buck on alcohol sales and more power to them, but to keep serving the same kids over and over again when they knew what was happening to the ship as a result seems very shortsighted and horribly irresponsible. And the worst result seems to be how much they ruined so many others chance at a wonderful cruise. JMHO

Debbie

Did you all hear about the brawl on South Padre this week between OU and UT kids. Wow talk about a mess! Sounds like spring break everywhere with college students is out of hands. Happens when you mix alcohol in !

Right, but that is the policy of car rental companies... they don't rent to under 25. NCL DOES allow 21 and up to cruise alone. Unless the policy as a whole changes, you can't disallow these people to book. Should you not allow a large church group of young adults to book? A large group of early-20's peace corps volunteers? You simply have no choice when it comes to discrimination - you can't do it. I went on plenty of spring breaks in my day, and most kids are good people, well behaved, and care about responsibility. Barring a situation where there are sanctioned activities that promote bad behavior or selling to a group that advertises these activities, you just can't do it.
If NCL wanted to limit the number of rooms sold to colleges, they could do it. Would the discrimination be the partiers right to party? I don't remember there being such a right in anything I've ever read. If the Denver Broncos can limit the number of playoff tickets they give to visiting teams, even though those visiting team's fans would be paying for them just like everyone else, then I think a cruise line could limit the number of rooms they allow to be blocked off for a specific college at a specific discounted rate. Instead of offering 400 rooms at $299 a person only let them block 100 rooms at $299 a person and everyone else has to pay the higher rate that most everyone else is paying. College students don't usually have that kind of cash so that would limit the number of kids that could take the cruise. That's one way for them to limit who has access to the ship. It's not discrimination.

Thanks for backing me up... I just don't get it. How is NCL supposed to turn away passengers who want to sail just b/c of their ages? There money is just as green as anyone else's! The whole point is those passengers were of age to travel w/ NCL & how is NCL supposed to forsee their actions! :D

..you just can't make the judgement that because someone is of a certain age or goes to a certain school you know how they'll behave. Sorry, you just can't do it.

Every week, some line somewhere has a ship with groups this large and much larger... corporate groups, family reunions, "lifestyle" cruises.. you just can't make the judgement on which groups deserve which number of cabins. It's just not fair, and that's why it's not done.

..you just can't make the judgement that because someone is of a certain age or goes to a certain school you know how they'll behave. Sorry, you just can't do it.

Every week, some line somewhere has a ship with groups this large and much larger... corporate groups, family reunions, "lifestyle" cruises.. you just can't make the judgement on which groups deserve which number of cabins. It's just not fair, and that's why it's not done.

It is done all of the time. The group dept. has control of your groups.

It seems to me the most arguments seems to come from the "younger"CC members.

As far as "fair" Life isn`t fair, get over it. A company can set it`s rules based on prior experiences of groups. What isn`t "fair" is that these Hooligans ripped up the ship and spoiled the cruise for many responsible pax., including some other students.

NCL can decide not to sell on campuses, that is their corporate right.

Higher education + Florida = oxymoron.
Hmmm...I got my undergraduate degree at a college in Florida. I guess I redeemed myself by getting a master's degree in Colorado. ;)

I am just wondering, is it possible to inquire beforehand as to any large groups blocking rooms on a ship? Or do the cruise lines keep that information confidential?

We aren't sailing until 4/14 when I anticipate most students will long be back at school with the early spring holiday calendar this year. However, it might come in handy when trying to plan and you are wondering why that one set of dates is pricewise out of whack with the surrounding dates and lines on the itinerary.

the stanger

2 masters degrees and PhD but thank God I got one of the master's at Michigan so does that count? By the way, in Florida we always say that we can tell who the tourists from New Jersey and New York because they are the worst drivers and drive the Lincoln Continentals! :MY bf says that they can tell who the passengers are on the ship from NY and NJ becaue they are the ones who tip the least and complain about everything Menina

p.s doesnt mean everyone from NJ and NY are like that..

Higher education + Florida = oxymoron.

2 masters degrees and PhD but thank God I got one of the master's at Michigan so does that count?

There always the exceptions, albeit like the above they are rare. How so?

Number of people in my graduating M.B.A. class at Harvard: 887

Number of the above who received their undergraduate degree from a school in Michigan: 97

Number of the above who received their undergraduate degree from a school in New York: 118

And, number of the above who received their undergraduate degree from a school in Florida.......

P.S. they all were nice people!:)

MY bf says that they can tell who the passengers are on the ship from NY and NJ becaue they are the ones who tip the least and complain about everything Menina

p.s doesnt mean everyone from NJ and NY are like that..

Thank God you qualified your statement... cause I was going to have to rip into this...

Matter of fact... I compliment most things, and tip more than most people... so... stereotypes are just plain stupid...

Same is true for NY / NJ drivers... Maybe they (we) think that you're a horrible driver... walk mile in another person's shoes... and you might get a better outlook on things..

Regarding the spring breakers... I agree with the majority here in condemning the behavior... I'm surprised that NCL would allow rooms to be sold to that many 21 and 18 year olds...

While I agree with a previous poster that stated that you cannot forbide it based on demographics... NCL should change the rule outright to prevent this sort of thing happening...

Back a few years ago we took a cruise with sping breakers, on the Norway they respected the ship and we had fun with them, a few years later we took a cruise with spring breakers and it almost stopped us from cruising-In fact if my daughter hadn't beg for a personal reason of her own we wouldn't be going this time-I'm willing to give it another try-loved our first cruise, loved all excurssions so we'll see, I sure did enjoy that first cruise when the young folks enjoyed the cruise for a cruise instead of a drunken bar on the water.

Archived