Spirit 2/27 review: Animal House at Sea

wbrumel

Cruising is about getting away from it all, having a good time, and enjoying oneself. Those of you following this thread, know I was on the February 27 NCL Spirit cruise. Although I had a great time, I was sickened by the behavior of the college spring breakers from the University of Florida. (I earned two degrees from that college "back in the day.")

My reflections have gone beyond whether or not I had fun. More and more, I am haunted by how these young people conducted themselves.

I've spent a little time doing some research on college binge drinking. If you wish to learn more about what's going on with our young people, you might check out the following:

Harvard University conducted a study of binge drinking among college students in 1993, 1997, 1999, and 2001. Four-year colleges (119 of them) in 38 states and the District of Columbia were used for the study. If you are raising children, you might want to read the results of this research. There are numerous articles available. Just type "Harvard Study on Binge Drinking" into Google.

"Curbing Underage Binge Drinking" by Paul C. Reisser, M.D. is an excellent article. http://www.family.org/physmag/issues/a0012722.cfm

Finally, if you can take it, read on-line conversations among college students around the country who are bragging about why their school should be considered a top-notch party school.

Just passing this research along to those who may have felt a deep sense of alarm about what we witnessed on the cruise.

this whole thing just scares the you know what out of me. I want the kids to have a good time, I was a college kid before the civil war I think and I have 2 granddaughters in college right now: that's what scares me. One is a senior, survived those first couple of party years, is very mature, about to go out into the real world which her parents have done a great job preparing her for, will be married just before Christmas and finds the whole party scene a bore; the other a freshman that says college is the greatest: how she keeps her scholarship sometimes amazes me; she started out today for her spring break and I pray each day she gets back to school in one piece. Just a few weeks ago we had another kid here in NM OD on binge drinking. How these kids came to the conclusion that partying meant how drunk and disorderly can we get and having fun is what school is all about is beyond me. Not only are these kids ruining others vacations they are putting their life and health in danger. By the way, I started my college days at Univ of Colorado which was as big a party school 50 years ago as it is today, I came from a family that liked to have a good time, complete with libation and I still like to have a good time. This doesn't mean I don't think the 18-20 years olds of today have gotten way out of hand. Many of them are good kids, want to be good citizens, but have been spoiled and often exposed to much too young. MY SOAPBOX STAND FOR TODAY!!!!!!!NMnita

Cruising is about getting away from it all, having a good time, and enjoying oneself. Those of you following this thread, know I was on the February 27 NCL Spirit cruise. Although I had a great time, I was sickened by the behavior of the college spring breakers from the University of Florida. (I earned two degrees from that college "back in the day.")

My reflections have gone beyond whether or not I had fun. More and more, I am haunted by how these young people conducted themselves.

I've spent a little time doing some research on college binge drinking. If you wish to learn more about what's going on with our young people, you might check out the following:

Harvard University conducted a study of binge drinking among college students in 1993, 1997, 1999, and 2001. Four-year colleges (119 of them) in 38 states and the District of Columbia were used for the study. If you are raising children, you might want to read the results of this research. There are numerous articles available. Just type "Harvard Study on Binge Drinking" into Google.

"Curbing Underage Binge Drinking" by Paul C. Reisser, M.D. is an excellent article. http://www.family.org/physmag/issues/a0012722.cfm

Finally, if you can take it, read on-line conversations among college students around the country who are bragging about why their school should be considered a top-notch party school.

Just passing this research along to those who may have felt a deep sense of alarm about what we witnessed on the cruise.

Sandpebbles, you must have been writing the same time I was. Yes, the binge drinking is really a concern or certainly should be. Even my daughter was saying just the other day, how is scares her. She says when she was in college she did her share of partying, no surprise to me, I did also. The thing that is different is the binge thing. We did the sorority/frat thing, as did she and as do our granddaughters, I suppose we drank too much a few times, but we never set out to see how drunk we could get. The kids today admit that is why they drink: as was said to me by a young college student, not too long ago "why would you drink if you didn't want to get drunk?" Just way out there someplace. I guess we can only hope they all survive and in a few years will look back and realize what they did!!! NMNita

We must have been writing at exactly the same time about exactly the same topic: binge drinking.

I rarely watch Dateline, but this evening they ran a story on binge drinking - more specifically "power hours."

From this report, I learned that a power hour happens on a student's 21st birthday. The video tape ran by Dateline was of a power hour that took place in North Dakota.

This "birthday tradition" among the fraternity brothers requires the birthday boy to join them in a bar. His rite of passage is to try to drink 21 shots of hard alcohol with beer chasers in one hour. The brothers provide him with a bucket in case he gets sick and proceed to insult his manhood (complete with profanity) if he does not drink fast enough to suit them.

Watching the mother of a son who died of alcohol poisoning after his "power hour" was heartbreaking.

The Harvard study provides important statistics that may help parents and students as they make choices about college living environments, peers, etc.

Earlier on this thread, a young lady wrote about her attempt to watch a college football game. Drunk fraternity brothers kept hitting her in the back of the head. She tried to stand up for herself, but they were so vicious she had to leave the game.

It was her opinion that the good students on the Spirit cruise didn't speak out because they were intimidated by drunk bullies - both male and female. I'm inclined to agree with her. It makes me sad - very sad.

Here is a link for this years Spring Break Schedule.

http://www.tripsmarter.com/panamacity/springbreak/sbcalendar.htm

It shows next week as having over 1.5 million college kids on Spring Break. The week after there is over 1 million off school.

Maybe you should post next years "Spring Break" schedule so that those that are so worried can plan ahead.

The "Car Rental" age comment is wrong......I book corporate travel all the time and know that it depends of the State you are booking the car rental in as to what the age limit will be. For an example: Florida's age limit is 25...but if you are willing to pay the $20.00 or $25.00 per day (depending on the car rental agency) "under age" fee....then they can rent a car. UNLESS you have a CORPORATE account.....then the age limit is 18.

The next topic "Selling alcohol to under age passengers." Most of these "College" kids can read and they probable read on the CC board how to sneak aboard their alcohol in shampoo bottles, coke bottles, etc. Aren't you glad you helped in their education?

OceanDreams

I think your "two cents" is worth much more than that.

I've posted several times on this board. After this one, I'm going to be silent.

First, I should say that I have no children of my own. Didn't plan it that way - That's just how life worked out for me. However, I am retired from teaching 25 years in the public school system - grades 9-12.

At various times in my career, I taught rich kids, poor kids, and middle class kids. Like others in my profession, I was able to see young people, struggling to define themselves.

I confess that I was one of those irritating teachers who didn't think students should talk while I was talking or use profanity in the halls or bully others or talk back to parents or go to Panama City spring break without their parents.

With the above said, I leave you all with some of my thoughts.

Planning our cruises around college spring break will certainly save our vacations. But, I wonder why the adults are "leaving the building." Are we yielding the field because we're unable to cope with the behavior of a segment of our kids? How did this segment of kids become so out of control? Who protects the "nice" kids who are intimidated by the others? And, finally, where do the adults go to escape when the cruise is over?

Sandpebbles over and out.

Very easy answer about the parents, and this is coming from the psych perspective (re: ainsworth, lieberman, bowlby, and other researchers). When you see how half the parents live their own personal lives, what gives those kids anything to respect?? Ever wonder how they grew up not respecting other adutls? I'm not talking about parents who beat their kids, I'm talking about parents who are maybe self absorbed in their careers, or their own "stuff". There's a reason why kid's don't grow up to respect their own bodies (hence abusing alcohol,etc) and you can generally trace it to a relational issue they had with their parents. Someone who is a true social drinker usually gets plastered, hates how they feel, and doesn't go down that road again. Someone who binges or abuses alcohol and/or drugs in other ways generally has no self respect,no self respect for self= no respect for others, rules, etc...Menina

I think your "two cents" is worth much more than that.

I've posted several times on this board. After this one, I'm going to be silent.

First, I should say that I have no children of my own. Didn't plan it that way - That's just how life worked out for me. However, I am retired from teaching 25 years in the public school system - grades 9-12.

At various times in my career, I taught rich kids, poor kids, and middle class kids. Like others in my profession, I was able to see young people, struggling to define themselves.

I confess that I was one of those irritating teachers who didn't think students should talk while I was talking or use profanity in the halls or bully others or talk back to parents or go to Panama City spring break without their parents.

With the above said, I leave you all with some of my thoughts.

Planning our cruises around college spring break will certainly save our vacations. But, I wonder why the adults are "leaving the building." Are we yielding the field because we're unable to cope with the behavior of a segment of our kids? How did this segment of kids become so out of control? Who protects the "nice" kids who are intimidated by the others? And, finally, where do the adults go to escape when the cruise is over?

Sandpebbles over and out.

It really must have been a wild time on the Spirit! We were on the Dream the same week and both ships were docked at the same port (Roatan?) at one point.

WE even heard about all the crazy shenanigans that were going on! I have teenagers and my oldest son turned 21 just before the cruise so it gave us the chance to talk about competitve drinking/parties.

Because we'd all saved up and planned the cruise and the excursions the "kids" had quite a bit of time/energy already invested in this trip. My oldest son and I talked about the dangers of whooping and hollerin' in up until the wee hours and then feeling like total crap the next day on a very expensive excursion. He agreed it just wouldn't be worth it. Like he said why would you want to spend the day puking and hung over in your cabin when you could be out enjoying the beach or exploring caves!!

I wonder how many of the rowdies on the Spirit pay for their own education and how many of them footed the bill for their cruise? I struck out on my own when I was 17 years old and have earned my way in the world and yet I still see friends 20 years later who were handed everything living in a perpetual state of limbo.

I can understand the students wanted to blow off steam, it's unfortunate they had to be bullies and self centered the way they did it! Of course many of them probably don't remember much of the cruise (due to alcohol) and don't have any remorse.

The "Car Rental" age comment is wrong.
NO, it's not wrong. You may be commenting on your experience but I was commenting on mine and I've NEVER seen anyone under 25 be able to rent a car. That's my experience in years of renting cars, trying to rent cars under 25, and planning corporate travel for work. You must be renting in different states.

My son works for a rental car company. In most states a person between 21-24 can rent a car with a substantial surcharge. I will ask him to make sure , but I believe that only in New York (state law) does that age drop to 18. Bear in mind this is only one companies policy.

My son works for a rental car company. In most states a person between 21-24 can rent a car with a substantial surcharge. I will ask him to make sure , but I believe that only in New York (state law) does that age drop to 18. Bear in mind this is only one companies policy.
It could be just where I've rented. I rent cars A LOT in Las Vegas and New Orleans. Funny enough I'm going to Las Vegas tomorrow and New Orleans next Friday...both with rental cars and have been doing this for years and there's always been strict rules about under 25 renters. We've even rented cars in France, Germany and England and had to adhere to strict renters age guidelines.

Just to be clear I thought I would look up the policies for a few companies. Here they are:

Below are ALAMO's policies on age requirements:

The primary renter of the vehicle must be 25 years of age, or in limited cases, the minimum age is 21.

Additional drivers must meet the same eligibility requirements as the Primary driver

All drivers must show a valid driver's license at time of rental.

Rental rates may be higher for renters aged 21 - 24.

Certain specialty and larger sized vehicles may not be rented to younger drivers.

Some locations maintain maximum age limits.

Alamo reserves the right to refuse rental of a vehicle if the renter demonstrates inability to handle road rules and conditions.

Military or Government personnel on official orders renting at government rates may rent at 18 years of age.

New York state: The minimum age for NY is 18 years, subject to a per day surcharge.

Montgomery, AL: Does not permit renters under age 25

At most Avis locations in the US, the minimum age to rent an Avis vehicle is 25. In certain situations or at certain locations, the minimum age may be 18 or 21. In some instances a surcharge may apply for renters under age 25. Please check with Avis at 1-800-230-4898 for details.

NATIONAL - Young Renter: Non-Commercial Account

Minimum age rental requirement at most locations is 21. Some locations require a minimum age of 25 (except for the State of New York where the minimum age is 18). All customers under age 25 renting at Corporate locations will be charged a standard additional daily fee of $25.00 (except in New York the fee is up to $70.82 and Boston the fee is $37.00). All Young Renters and Young Renter Additional Drivers must have a major credit card and a valid drivers license. Young renters can use discounts and coupons except in the state of New York. Young renters can only rent economy cars through full size cars.

How old to I have to be to rent a car with Enterprise?

Thank you for your e-mail. At most Enterprise locations, you need to be 21 years of age or older to qualify to rent or drive. Also, there may be an additional charge if you are under 25. New York state allows drivers 18 years of age or older to rent vehicles, and there may still be an additional charge to those under 25. Please contact your local renting office directly for details.

HERTZ -You must be a minimum 25 years of age, present a valid driver's license and possess an acceptable charge card in your name. See Age for exceptions to minimum 25 years old.

EXCEPTIONS

Corporate Accounts

Various corporate accounts have agreements with Hertz which permit employees of those companies, between the ages of 21-24, to rent for business purposes. Renters must present a valid Corporate Identification Card at the time of rental and additional fees may apply. Please contact your company travel department to verify age exceptions when renting for business purposes.

Michigan

For ages 18-21 - Hertz will rent to customers between the ages of 18-21 years at all corporate locations in the State of Michigan. In addition to the base rental rate, an Underage Liabilty Charge of USD 41.00 per day will be assessed on rentals to this age group.

For ages 22-24 - Hertz will rent to customers between the ages of 22-24 years at all corporate locations in the State of Michigan. In addition to the base rental rate, an Underage Liability Charge of USD 17.00 per day will be assessed on rentals to this age group.

Even with these added charges my son says they still tend to lose money when renting to this age group.

I have read the threads with an interest since my husband and I were on that cruise. We are in our late thirties (well one of us just turned forty) and we both work in the psychiatric field so we can tolerate some drama. But when the things that are on our list of things to do include: rest, relaxation, alone time, etc., are wiped out with NCL booking 800 + UF students we have a problem. The suggestion that a cruise is no diffirent that booking a hotel in Cancun during springbreak has obviusly not stared into the waters of the caribbean considering which would be better to jump or throw drunken college students overboard. Blaming NC L is exaclty where I start-if they knew that many students were on board then they were woefully UNPREPARED. After the first night a guard or guards should have been patrolling each deck monitoring the halls with radio contact to other security officers in the pool area, etc.,. If you are the CEO of NCL and you check the money your cruiseline made for JUST the students bar tabs you are doing the limbo behind your gated house while sipping a rum punch that did not cost 6.95. Yes, the incident reports are piling up and you have just convinced the over 25 crowd that RC is the cruiseline for them and maybe a few laws have been broken. Sure those ID's said 21 but how many seniors could there be... Wait a minute put down that rum punch, spring breaks only lasts 2 months? Are you telling me we ticked off the 25 and older crowd and there are 8 months to go? Could someone get me the phone... oops it is floating in the pool.

Yes, the incident reports are piling up and you have just convinced the over 25 crowd that RC is the cruiseline for them
NCL might not be my first choice for cruising during spring break but RC certainly wouldn't be my next choice. I'd actually choose NCL over RC in most cases...but that's just me.

I have read the threads with an interest since my husband and I were on that cruise. We are in our late thirties (well one of us just turned forty) and we both work in the psychiatric field so we can tolerate some drama. But when the things that are on our list of things to do include: rest, relaxation, alone time, etc., are wiped out with NCL booking 800 + UF students we have a problem. The suggestion that a cruise is no diffirent that booking a hotel in Cancun during springbreak has obviusly not stared into the waters of the caribbean considering which would be better to jump or throw drunken college students overboard. Blaming NC L is exaclty where I start-if they knew that many students were on board then they were woefully UNPREPARED. After the first night a guard or guards should have been patrolling each deck monitoring the halls with radio contact to other security officers in the pool area, etc.,. If you are the CEO of NCL and you check the money your cruiseline made for JUST the students bar tabs you are doing the limbo behind your gated house while sipping a rum punch that did not cost 6.95. Yes, the incident reports are piling up and you have just convinced the over 25 crowd that RC is the cruiseline for them and maybe a few laws have been broken. Sure those ID's said 21 but how many seniors could there be... Wait a minute put down that rum punch, spring breaks only lasts 2 months? Are you telling me we ticked off the 25 and older crowd and there are 8 months to go? Could someone get me the phone... oops it is floating in the pool.

RCI?? You mean the cruiseline that allows 18 year olds to drink beer & wine?? Yeah, I don't think that would be my next choice if I were you.

The key is simple -- AVOID SHORT (less than 7 day) CRUISES.

RCI?? You mean the cruiseline that allows 18 year olds to drink beer & wine?? Yeah, I don't think that would be my next choice if I were you.

The key is simple -- AVOID SHORT (less than 7 day) CRUISES.

You beat me too it -

summergrrl39

Don't think for a minute that NCL made money - under 21 even with a phoney ID can not buy drinks. Somebody 21 had to buy them or do you think they might have smuggled their own onboard. Get one NCL glass and drink themselves stupid. :eek: That's another long thread ;)

Wow, this is downright scary! :eek:

We're cruising 3/29 to the Mexican Riviera on NCL Star. Luckily, even though it's spring break lots of places, I'm hoping beings it's an 8 day, and Tues. through Wed. it will not be tooooo bad! I had been reading about unruly kids onboard spring, summer, and holiday sailings, but these young adults sound way worse! I may be much more careful, in the future, to book less kid - or college age - times! ;)

Thanks so much for the post, we all need to read these things, to be better prepared!

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the 2-18 sailing and I did forward the coments about the 2-27 sailing to our Account Manger at NCL and got no responce from him about it, but did get a responce about the problems we had on our cruise I guess he didn't want to touch it.

Well, I wasn't on this cruise, but I felt like I should throw in my two cents...

I am a 23-year-old college senior at the University of Oklahoma. I just returned from a cruise on the Diamond Princess out of LA for my spring break, and I've got news for you - the large groups of USC spring breakers onboard acted surprisingly classy for the sheer numbers of them there. So, my first point is that just because it's spring break and there's lots of college students onboard, doesn't always equal trouble. The USC groups were always dressed very nicely, behaved appropriately for the most part, and though there were many who were intoxicated, it never reached mayhem or anything even close. There were a lot more drunk old men that bothered me more...

And, just before anyone jumps to conclusions and puts me with the spring-breaker crowd, I was on this cruise with my 52-year-old mother...plus, I'm married and have been out of that "party scene" for quite some time now.

However, all that said, the unfortunate fact is that the majority of schools in the US have students that when put together in a resort setting with the ingredients for "fun" - alcohol, sun, and the opposite sex - usually spells wild, rambunctious trouble. Please do not single out UF. The school and the students as representatives of the school did nothing wrong. (Let me explain) Yes, the wild students on the Spirit cruise acted inappropriately - no doubt about that. However, how on earth was the school responsible for this? And how on earth did these students become representatives or ambassadors of their school?

The school itself obviously had no responsibility because I'm sure they didn't do anything other than approve the ads that went out for the cruise group. Obviously one of the campus activities councils organized this, took money, and distributed tickets. It doesn't sound like it was a true, organized school-sponsored function. So, the University of Florida really doesn't have any problem here - it just so happens that THIS TIME, the offending students were from that school.

As for the students as ambassadors - I don't think so. They obviously weren't onboard to attend some sort of convention or for prospective student recruitment. They were there to enjoy themselves and relax on vacation. Quite apparently, some took this way too far...but why would you judge a school on a group of students who are on spring break?

While in Mazatlan on my spring break cruise, we went to a popular resort hotel to spend the afternoon. The place was literally crawling with spring breakers, all wearing shirts and hats from their various universities. Some of the spring breakers were highly intoxicated, others were just being obnoxious on the beach, but most were well behaved. Point is, I didn't look at the obnoxious guy's hat and say, "Oh, he and his friends must go to ABC University - I would never go there now!!" or something to that effect....

Okay, long enough...just wanted to make my point that it wasn't UF's fault, among other things.

Well, I wasn't on this cruise, but I felt like I should throw in my two cents...

Okay, long enough...just wanted to make my point that it wasn't UF's fault, among other things.

jimbug, Did you read this whole thread? There were several posts from UF students who stated that there are major problems at the school and many act like animals there to the point that some are fearful from the acts of those animals. If they are allowed to act like that on campus, of course they won't change when they go on a party boat. And it was MANY who caused the problems.

Maybe, just maybe, the students you were with from USC have been taught that USC expects them to act like ladies and gentlemen. Then, when they got on the boat, MOST lived up to what is expected of them in their school environment with much fewer problems.

I don't know that much about either school, but the facts here indicate UF has some major problems with discipline. The long range problem is many holler about their rights and refuse to accept responcibility. When they get in trouble, it's someone elses fault. The truth is, no one has a single right until they accept the responcibilities that goes with that right. Respect for others and responcibilities. Two things vital to a free society that are going by the wayside.

Archived