CruiseCare or other insurance?

The final payment date is coming up soon on my cruise. Sometimes we take the insurance and sometimes we don't. I always hate to pay it knowing theres such a tiny chance that we will use it and after all these cruises we never have. Do you recommend taking RC's insurance or another company?

We always, always pay for trip insurance. We can't afford to lose $2,000 or more, if we are unable to go on the cruise. We just consider it a part of the vacation cost. I think our first cruise we went through what the cruiseline suggested, but after that we've always gotten our own policy (Access America) through insuremytrip.com.

We had to make a claim one year because the day we were to fly to Florida before our cruise was the day of my Father's funeral. We left a day later, but had to pay extra for the flight and for the change of flights so it was about $312 I believe, and 2 weeks after we made the claim we received a check for them for that amount.

I just feel you never know what can happen, sickness, death, etc. and I would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it and lose all that money.

I don't use it for the cost of the vacation - it's if I need medical care which costs could be a considerable burden on me or my family. The cost of the vacation is really not a terrible loss although I would be hard pressed to say I could afford to lose that too but a medical evacuation or a week in a hospital in Rome could be a financial set back.

It's not expensive, so for us it's worth it. I can't imagine having to foot the bill for a helicopter evacuation myself. We did have to use it once for trip cancellation, and glad we had it.

The RCL insurance is actually not bad, and is reasonably priced. You get cancel for any reason, with 75% back which can be used for a future cruise.

Noticed you are from WPB. If you drive to the Port, you really don't need Insurance to cover delayed flights, lost luggage, etc. I would search for insurance which only has the coverage you need. In our case, that is mainly medical.

Didn't purchase it for our first few cruises, but saw some instances on our cruises where passengers got injured on excursions, sick, etc., and got to thinking it would be a wise investment. We purchase it from Access America. Our TA advised that we should compare. We don't purchase from the cruise line because I just consider that a conflict of interest in a weird way. It's VERY inexpensive. I think my insurance for our upcoming cruise (w/o air travel) was something like $29. It's based stictly on your age and the cost of the trip.

Didn't purchase it for our first few cruises, but saw some instances on our cruises where passengers got injured on excursions, sick, etc., and got to thinking it would be a wise investment. We purchase it from Access America. Our TA advised that we should compare. We don't purchase from the cruise line because I just consider that a conflict of interest in a weird way. It's VERY inexpensive. I think my insurance for our upcoming cruise (w/o air travel) was something like $29. It's based stictly on your age and the cost of the trip.

How on earth did you get such a good price? I just quoted our trip and the lowest I can get is $132

I use Travel Guard Saavy Traveler, which I found to be the cheapest. Mine came to $62. The price depends on your age and cost of cruise. Luckily, I haven't had to make a claim. I don't fly for cruises either. I basically only get it for medical but with medical they automatically give you other coverage.

I don't use it for the cost of the vacation - it's if I need medical care which costs could be a considerable burden on me or my family. The cost of the vacation is really not a terrible loss although I would be hard pressed to say I could afford to lose that too but a medical evacuation or a week in a hospital in Rome could be a financial set back.

And that is a kind of policy you can get by the year...I have an annual plan for our family so every trip we are covered.

Question - is the insurance the same as the "Cruise Care" offered through RCCL at booking? How do I know what that covers? Thx :)

I guess it all depends on what kind of coverage you want. Go online to Travel Guard. They offer all different types of insurance and you can compare them. They each give complete descriptions of what is covered, so you pick which one you want for what kind of coverage you need.

Archived