NCL Captains

ikar1101

Tommy Stensrud is on the Sun

Tommy Stensrud has been our captain 4 times! First on the Jewel in 2008, twice on the Jade in 2009, and again last year on the Sun! Last year we teased him that we were following him around the world and he quipped back that he was following US! :D

• 9 months later...

Not sure if it's fleet wide or not but, meeting with the ships officers at a get together the Chief engineer and the Captain said (on the Pearl) they work 10 weeks ON....10 weeks OFF. I think it's the same for the officer of Hotel Management (forgot his official title) but he has a home on Honolulu and Atlanta and his wife manages the Jewelry store on the Gem. All I got........:cool:

Oh ya..........we changed Captains mid-cruise. Was either Grand Caymen or Cozumel. So we met two.

Edited by melligene

Not sure if it's fleet wide or not but, meeting with the ships officers at a get together the Chief engineer and the Captain said (on the Pearl) they work 10 weeks ON....10 weeks OFF. I think it's the same for the officer of Hotel Management (forgot his official title) but he has a home on Honolulu and Atlanta and his wife manages the Jewelry store on the Gem. All I got........:cool:

Oh ya..........we changed Captains mid-cruise. Was either Grand Caymen or Cozumel. So we met two.

You are correct about the Captains. They work 10 weeks on and 10 weeks off. The Hotel Directors work four months on and usually two months off, but they may change.

Also, NCL has recently began moving the officers from ship to ship more often than before.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi all!

Does anyone know if this list is correct or could help with filling the gaps?

SKY - ??, ??

SUN - Rune Myre, ??

STAR - Gunnar Hammerin, Konstantinos Fafalios

DAWN - Paul von Knorring, Sverre Sovdsnes

SPIRIT - Evans Hoyt, Kenneth Harstrom

JEWEL - Idar Hoydal, Lars Bergstrom

PEARL - Lars Bengtsson, ??

JADE - Tommy Stensrud, Mikael Hilden

GEM - Roger Gustavsen, Frank Juliussen

EPIC - Hakan Svedung, Trygve Vorren

Unfortunately Trygve Vorren died earlier this year

The Jewel captain, responding to a question at our meet and greet, stated NCL had no female captains or deck officers. Let's hope NCL decides to update its personnel policies into the 21st century.

Are you asserting that NCL actually has a policy against having female captains or deck officers? Could it be that there just happen not to be any?

Are you asserting that NCL actually has a policy against having female captains or deck officers? Could it be that there just happen not to be any?

"Just happen not to be any"???

I'm saying that 40 years ago (or more) they should have been planning for the professional development of female officers.

Edited by FLAHAM

I'm saying that 40 years ago (or more) they should have been planning for the professional development of female officers.

You can "plan" all you want, but you can't force someone into a job via policy just because they'll help you meet some quota. However, that isn't the point...I still question why you think NCL has a POLICY in place that prevents a qualified female from holding this job.

You can "plan" all you want, but you can't force someone into a job via policy just because they'll help you meet some quota. However, that isn't the point...I still question why you think NCL has a POLICY in place that prevents a qualified female from holding this job.

Exactamundo...

There aren't a hell of a lot of women with Masters licenses in this world to begin with... It's not like NCL is trying to keep them down. Probably better quality of life/pay using their Masters license elsewhere.

FWIW - my wife is a former USN Surface Warfare Officer (boat driver), and she spent several months on the USNS Comfort (crewed by civilians/merchant marine). The Captain of the Comfort told her he'd help her get her Masters license. She wasn't interested.

I HIGHLY doubt that NCL is "not with the times", and suspect it's more along the lines of not a whole lot of people are interested in the line of work...

Did NCL's job application form from 40 years ago restrict females from applying for the jobs??

I just checked the present application restrictions, and see that the only restriction is that the applicant must be 21 years of age.

I don't think you have any basis for your comments.

By the way --- You may see the name Julia come up in the future.

Edited by swedish weave

Hi all!

Does anyone know if this list is correct or could help with filling the gaps?

SKY - ??, ??

SUN - Rune Myre, ??

STAR - Gunnar Hammerin, Konstantinos Fafalios

DAWN - Paul von Knorring, Sverre Sovdsnes

SPIRIT - Evans Hoyt, Kenneth Harstrom

JEWEL - Idar Hoydal, Lars Bergstrom

PEARL - Lars Bengtsson, ??

JADE - Tommy Stensrud, Mikael Hilden

GEM - Roger Gustavsen, Frank Juliussen

EPIC - Hakan Svedung, Trygve Vorren

I have sailled with Idar Hoydal twice, Once on the Dawn and once on the Jewel.

Mikael Hilden was my Captain on the Gem twice. The second time he was only there for 1 sailing and was turning the ship over to Roger Gustavsen. I was lucky enough to be invited to have dinner with both Captain Hilden and Captain Gustavsen on the last trip on the Gem. All in all they are all great Captains and do the best for cruise comfort. I am looking forward to sailing with any of them again.

• 1 month later...
We just returned from a 7-day on the Spirit ............ Lars was our captain. His dry sense of humour was very entertaining. Yes, he must be a good "boss" as the crew all seemed very happy.

I hope he's still on the ship next week. We sailed with him on the Pearl and absolutely loved him!

The Jewel captain, responding to a question at our meet and greet, stated NCL had no female captains or deck officers. Let's hope NCL decides to update its personnel policies into the 21st century.

Someone is always looking for conspiracies in everything. Look at the Merchant Marine Academy where all US ships officers begin. The number of women that want into this business is a tiny fraction, and of that number, very few put in the 30+ years it takes to become a Captain. Many don't want to be away from their families for the long periods of time it takes to work your way up. Many drop out to raise families, the six-nine month assignments that it takes as your working your way up through the ranks means leaving the kiddies and husbands at home for all that time. There are a few in the commercial shipping world, but even there, where you gain experience, there are very few.

• 3 years later...