favorite Southern Caribbean Port

140toesandfingers

Oh my goodness!! Tortola!! Went there several years ago and went to the far side of the island - up, then down the mountain to a beautiful beach!! Went a couple of years ago and it is an easy ferry ride over to Virgin Gorda and the Baths! NOT to be missed! St. Barts was wonderful too with Shell Beach there, but don't see that on normal cruise stops any more. St. Thomas is absolutely GORGEOUS with the mountainous terrain and you can also take a ferry ride over to St. John's too!! Liked the least?? Bahamas (flat and kind of boring)

It's hard to choose a favorite but I loved Barbados, Antigua, and Tortola probably the most. The best way to enjoy each island is to do some research ahead of time and get away from the main port area. St, Maarten probably is the nicest place if you want to stay close to the ship. I haven't been to Curacao yet, but it's on my wish list. My neighbors love Aruba, so I'm looking forward to checking this and a few other islands out this spring.

How can you choose just one?! We love Aruba and Barbados because they have beautiful beaches and seem more "clean" and affluent than some others. But we adore St. Lucia and Dominica for the their wild mountainous landscapes. Guess we'll just have to keep cruising to them all :D

Bonaire, because I loved the snorkeling, but Curacoa, because I am a tourist/traveler at heart. Curacoa, was very nice and lots to do, the only island I visited in Dec. that I didn't snorkel. Figure out what you love to do or see and research and go from there.

Aruba gets my vote. Plenty to do and see, and to us anyway, people were extremely nice.

Another one I was at once was Maragarita Island, think it belongs to Venezuela?? Anyway , cool little place.

Another nice one is Bonaire.

My favorite island in the Caribbean is the one I will be visiting next. I just love the Caribbean so much. An easier questions would be what my least favorite Caribbean island be: Barbados.

Sharon I

We've been to Barbados a number of times and I never put it on my favorite list and I'm never sure why. What is it about Barbados that seems to make it unfavorable to you?

The last time we visited Barbados my husband kept being followed by a homeless person while we were trying to shop. This homeless man kept begging us for money, we crossed the street and he followed us. We went into a jewelry store and my husband went outside to wait for me and the homeless man approached him again. The store beside of the jewelry store was a barbershop and the barber came out asked my husband if the man was bothering him and if he was he offered to pop him for my husband. We rushed back to the ship and we will make sure not to ever go shopping in Barbados again. Does that make sense to you.

Sharon I

The last time we visited Barbados my husband kept being followed by a homeless person while we were trying to shop. This homeless man kept begging us for money, we crossed the street and he followed us. We went into a jewelry store and my husband went outside to wait for me and the homeless man approached him again. The store beside of the jewelry store was a barbershop and the barber came out asked my husband if the man was bothering him and if he was he offered to pop him for my husband. We rushed back to the ship and we will make sure not to ever go shopping in Barbados again. Does that make sense to you.

Sharon I

No, could have happened anywhere.

Sharon I

Sorry that happened to you, Sharon. That would make me uncomfortable, too. And, it's true, it can happen most anywhere but it is Barbados where it happened to you.

It's funny. I just read a review I wrote where I mentioned stopping in Barbados and saying I liked it. I must run hot and cold with that island as it seems I go back and forth about it.

Archived