Walmart? Yup!

Bholling

I shop Walmart for groceries and the like all the time but who-da-thunk they'd have cute dresses too! I was on line to order Rx refills when I thought I'd see if there was anything I "needed" for my upcoming cruise. ;)

Found these darling dresses - got all 3 for under $60 including shipping. Yahoo! (Now, don't get me wrong - I realize these are not investment pieces but consider the cost per wearing if they last even one season!!! Plus they will all "work" for work this summer with a cute cardi...)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Norma-Kamali-Women-s-Jersey-Shirred-Sleeveless-Dress/15195492

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Women-s-Belted-Woven-Denim-Cap-Sleeve-Dress/15148729

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Women-s-Draped-Neck-Jersey-Dress/15442361

Those are cute ... I like the first two but me and polka have never gotten along :) I have been thinking about dress shopping for our cruise, but I have a few days to think about it. I will probably hit up the end of season sales and rack up - that's what I did on my first cruise and I hit the jackpot!

Happy floating :)

Nice dresses. I wonder how they will do up when washing. I have had some good purchases from Wal-Mart. Had a friend who use to sew on the symbols from higher end clothes before she would give them the Wal-Mart clothes to her kids.

That happened to me once. I was in Walmart and saw a lovely black formal dress for $20. I bought it. A month of so later I saw it in Sears for $60 - the exact same dress-only with a different label inside.

Once in a while I find something pretty darn great in Walmart. Especially my all-time favorite black dress pants that fit like a dream and go with everything. I always get compliments when I wear them.

I don't specifically shop for clothes there, just once in a while wander through and find something not bad at all.

Our WalMart used to have some decent clothes, but for some reason when the re-organized the store about a year ago - they took ALL of that out. Now - all I can find there (on a regular basis) that I would wear is workout clothes. Occasionally they will have something nice, and there is a section with some work appropriate clothing (but none of it is cute). but usually - what mine is carrying now looks - well - trashy. I couldn't even find a normal t-shirt there yesterday! They were all either basically see-through. Which is a bummer - I liked to get inexpensive clothes there that were ok for daily wear.....

OP is a bad influence. I was feeling virtuous, because I had purchased a very pretty royal blue cocktail dress at Goodwill for $3.50. That was all that I needed for my upcoming cruise in August. The leopard dress was too cute to pass up, especially for $20 - so I bought it. Now, I am about to spend just under $20 for a black shrug to go with it.

OK ladies - the verdict is in. One hit, two misses.

The Leopard dress is super cute (yay, spohttey!). It has very flattering ruching front & back. It does NOT hide a poochy tummy but would sure highlight a flat one. I wore it with a black shaper slip from Jocky underneath.

(Like this: http://www.jockey.com/products/Slip-Shaper-No-Panty-Line-Promise?&cm_mmc=JFSH-_-Womens-_-Womens%20Shapewear-_-6545&utm_source=JFSH&utm_medium=cse&utmcampaign=Womens&utm_content=Womens%20Shapewear&utm_term=6545)

It looked darling with a 3/4 sleeve black cardigan (which could easily work on a cruise, as well as at work) and also with a black blazer and a tan blazer (which I would wear to work). I can tell that this is one of those "throw it in your bag and don't worry about it" kinds of things - great if you are on a 2 day business trip. Day one wear slacks and a black blazer then on day 2 wear this dress with the blazer.

Now...about the other two. The polka dot one is way too short and way too tight (I ordered M which is 8/10 and I'm a 10 in most brands) and just not good at all. I don't think I would even like it in a larger size. The denim one could be cute but seems to run a tad small in the bust (I'm a 34DD so that could be part of the problem.) I will return both to my local Walmart and will consider re-ordering the denim in a 12.

I agree with Sailormom37 about in-store clothes at most Walmart stores...yuk. I have noticed that the closer you are to a major city the more likely you will find the "higher end" stuff. Notice I used quote marks - I realize that NOTHING at Wallyworld is truly high end but I mean the quasi-designer stuff. I have seen decent stuff at stores near Detroit that I would never see in Saginaw, where I live.

So all in all I am not unhappy - got one new option for spring/summer and my Easter cruise too...

Best of luck in your shopping adventures!!

The slip does have a tendency to "slip" a bit but the funny thing is it actually slides down from the top. Sounds weird I know but with a few lower-cut or sheer dresses or tops, I like that with the clean-edged top of the slip, (no lace or piping)it can take the place of a tank. Sometimes I find that I am showing more than I intended and need to pull the top of the slip back up...hard to describe and not really all that bad. It stays down nicely on the bottom and I still like this slip better than any other I've found for giving you just a little bit of extra control in the mid-section with a fairly thin fabric like this leopard dress. Also - NO lines of any kind - which I cannot say when I wear a spanx-like item...

I always hit the resale/thrift consignment sales...but sometimes getting ready and packed and shopping so much fun. Also, btw Victoria's Secrets online also has great and inexpensive dresses...

We leave on April 2nd and I am shopping too much!

Archived