Helsinki-Suomenlinna

How much time should we budget to see Suomenlinna?

If you just want to walk all around the fortress grounds without going in the museum, I would say that could be done in a brisk 60-75 minutes but obviously you can tailor that by varying how far you want to walk, or if you stop for a drink etc. If you go into the museum then add maybe half an hour more. And of course there's the ferry ride there and back which takes about 15 minutes each way. So allow about 2 to 2.5 hours.

I loved it over there and this shows the sort of terrain you will be walking around

Before or after you've done that you will still have time to (briefly) see a bit of Helsinki

All the best, Tony

Our Baltic Cruise was last July on the Constellation. I don't remember exactly what time we docked in Helsinki but we took the ship's shuttle (DH's idea I planned on taking the bus) into town - dropped us off by the Esplanade. We walked about 3/4 blocks to the Old Market and the dock - ferry to Suomenlinna was right there. If I remember correctly (got all our info from CC ports) the less expensive ferry was at the end of the dock - not the first one you come across.

DH's an historian and the museum and sub were our main goal - but the island is very nice. Even I found the displays at the museum very interesting. He enjoyed "history" from a different pointof view! Easy signage to find your way - map is also on-line at their site. It was a hot day (and summer) and the ferry was crowded with locals with picnic baskets ready to spend the day and enjoy the breezes - a fabulous slice of real life!

I can't remember how long we stayed but we had lunch there at a very nice cafe just opposite the ferry slip - could gage our time on what ferry we wanted to take back.

We also spent time at the amazing Market - lots of fun but it had become a very hot day! Walked the Esplanade and enjoyed ice cream. It was one of our favorite stops even though we missed the Churches - might have had time but enjoyed not rushing in the heat!!

Have a great cruise!!

We're doing a Holland America ship's tour of the highlights of Helsinki that ends at noon, with the option of either going back to the ship or staying in the city center.

If we want to stay and go to the island, is the ferry dock easy to find? Will it be difficult to find our way back to the ship afterwards (we leave at 5:00 PM)?

We're doing a Holland America ship's tour of the highlights of Helsinki that ends at noon, with the option of either going back to the ship or staying in the city center.

If we want to stay and go to the island, is the ferry dock easy to find? Will it be difficult to find our way back to the ship afterwards (we leave at 5:00 PM)?

That would be fine. The ferry is at Market Square. You'll easily be on the island by 1 pm and probably sooner than that, so plenty of time for say 90 minutes- 2 hours on the fortress and then a leisurely meander back to the ship. If you don't want to walk all the way back to the dock check the times of the shuttle bus back to it.

Depending on your likes and dislikes, that will determine how much time you spend at the Fortress. Myself and my DW, we expected something different there, and did not find the Fortress that interesting. We walked around a bit, saw a few things, but we decided we would rather spend our time in Helsinki proper, so we left on the next ferry back.

As they say, it is all in the eye of the beholder.

We did thoroughly enjoy our time in Market Square. We browsed, we shopped, we ate and we walked all around the area, where there is so much to see.

Here are a few pics of Market Square and the surrounding area

Market Square is a maze of vendors selling everything from cloths to wooden hot trays, to food and so much more

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster1150.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1148.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1133.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster1147.jpg

Not very far from Market Square is Senate Square where you can view and visit the Lutheran Church

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1063.jpg

Another block or two in another direction, off Market Square is the Uspensky Orthodox Cathedral

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1135.jpg

Hope this helps a bit

Cheers

Len

To get back you can use the tram or take a taxi. How difficult it is will depend on where you berth.

Kirk

If that is Eurodam, 27 July then it docks at West Harbor - Hernesaari dock LHC. It means you could also take the local bus #16 all the way back to the ship from the market. It stops across the street just a block away from the ferry.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=sv&ie=UTF8&ll=60.16794,24.953929&spn=0.009159,0.041199&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=60.16794,24.953929&panoid=Bzbs73XBiS3wcO9npzo0yw&cbp=12,92.94,,0,2.47

On this picture one can see the #16 bus stop with its yellow sign to the left, the market to the right. The white steering cabin of the ferry to the fortress can just be seen near the left corner of the ship in the background (over the red market stand). If you pan the picture 180 degrees you'll see the Esplanade Park in the background. The shuttle bus use to stop near the far side of that park or more precisely, it stops here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=sv&ie=UTF8&t=h&layer=c&cbll=60.166053,24.943584&panoid=g7fhPVkoNfEwL7Kq46BsOA&cbp=12,336.19,,0,1.43&ll=60.166162,24.943557&spn=0.004467,0.016512&z=17

If that is Eurodam, 27 July then it docks at West Harbor - Hernesaari dock LHC. It means you could also take the local bus #16 all the way back to the ship from the market. It stops across the street just a block away from the ferry.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=sv&ie=UTF8&ll=60.16794,24.953929&spn=0.009159,0.041199&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=60.16794,24.953929&panoid=Bzbs73XBiS3wcO9npzo0yw&cbp=12,92.94,,0,2.47

On this picture one can see the #16 bus stop with its yellow sign to the left, the market to the right. The white steering cabin of the ferry to the fortress can just be seen near the left corner of the ship in the background (over the red market stand). If you pan the picture 180 degrees you'll see the Esplanade Park in the background. The shuttle bus use to stop near the far side of that park or more precisely, it stops here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=sv&ie=UTF8&t=h&layer=c&cbll=60.166053,24.943584&panoid=g7fhPVkoNfEwL7Kq46BsOA&cbp=12,336.19,,0,1.43&ll=60.166162,24.943557&spn=0.004467,0.016512&z=17

Hi, Ultima Thule, can you tell me where Marina is docking on Monday, June 20? I visited Helsinki for several days four years ago, but on a land trip. (And I loved visiting the fortress while my sister went shopping.)

Hi, Ultima Thule, can you tell me where Marina is docking on Monday, June 20? I visited Helsinki for several days four years ago, but on a land trip. (And I loved visiting the fortress while my sister went shopping.)

deleted - info already supplied

We are going this summer and plan on spending about 2.5 hours counting the ferry ride over and back. We will walk the grounds and than go to the museum.

Kirk

Hi Kirk,

I believe that I read that you are docked at LMA on your cruise, as we are aboard the Eclipse in May. Have you determined how you will get from LMA to downtown? When you mention taking the ferry to Soumenlinna, are you referring to the public ferry that is incl. in the one-day transport card? Carolyn

Hi Kirk,

I believe that I read that you are docked at LMA on your cruise, as we are aboard the Eclipse in May. Have you determined how you will get from LMA to downtown? When you mention taking the ferry to Soumenlinna, are you referring to the public ferry that is incl. in the one-day transport card? Carolyn

Carolyn,

Yes we are in the dreaded LMA berth. We have two options and will make a game day decision. Option 1 is to walk over the the ferry stop, Lansiterminaali. I can't determine if this is possible or if there are fences in the way but I think we can make it, it is a short walk. There we will catch bus 15A (leaves every 10-20 minutes) and ride to Elielinaukio stop which is an intersection with the 3T/3B tram. From there we will catch the tram to the Market Square and begin our day.

Option 2 has more walking, almost 1 mile to line 6 tram (Hietalati stop) and than ride it to Rautatieasema stop & get on line 3T/3B.

I think option 1 will work but I won't know for sure until June ;).

On the ferry, we are buying the 1 day travel passes so yes we will use the public ferry (not the JT one).

Kirk

Ultima Thule..can you tell yet where the Azamara Journey will dock on July 23? And if that is a convenient area? Thank you very much! We have been to helsinki before and loved it so are looking forward to coming back! Sherry & Kimber

Ultima Thule..can you tell yet where the Azamara Journey will dock on July 23? And if that is a convenient area? Thank you very much! We have been to helsinki before and loved it so are looking forward to coming back! Sherry & Kimber

As per Port of Helsinki website, she will dock at Olympia Terminal

http://www.portofhelsinki.fi/passengers/olympia_terminal

Thats as good as it gets in Helsinki.

Kirk

How much time should we budget to see Suomenlinna? Also, we would like to visit Market Square. What time does the market open on a Sunday?

The islands and the fortress of Soumenlinna are quite extensive and on a sunny day you could spend all day there. However, when we were there we took a guided tour and listened to our guide who knew all there is to know and he wanted to make sure we listened. It was a bit too long, so we politely excused ourselves, walked around some more and took the ferry back to the Market area. Total time on the islands perhaps three hours, but we could have seen a lot in two.

When your ferry arrives at the northern dock, you follow the crowd to the visitor's center where you can get a brochure with a great map. Tour the fortress on your own and read all about it (at least that is what we should have done).

For details of our day you could have a look at http://www.*****.com/Finland.html

Carolyn,

Yes we are in the dreaded LMA berth. We have two options and will make a game day decision. Option 1 is to walk over the the ferry stop, Lansiterminaali. I can't determine if this is possible or if there are fences in the way but I think we can make it, it is a short walk. There we will catch bus 15A (leaves every 10-20 minutes) and ride to Elielinaukio stop which is an intersection with the 3T/3B tram. From there we will catch the tram to the Market Square and begin our day.

Option 2 has more walking, almost 1 mile to line 6 tram (Hietalati stop) and than ride it to Rautatieasema stop & get on line 3T/3B.

I think option 1 will work but I won't know for sure until June ;).

On the ferry, we are buying the 1 day travel passes so yes we will use the public ferry (not the JT one).

Kirk

Hi Kirk,

Thank you for your response. I have looked at many options for getting from LMA to Market Sq.; and, I agree, your option #1 looks to be the easiest...providing we can find that stop for bus #15A. Carolyn

Archived