Sundays in aruba....read

redpelican

It's those folks who don't do research that raise heck when a port is missed or the ship is delayed and start screaming and stomping their feet like children.

And' date=' your opinion of my resposne as being "rude" is subjective and you are welcome to your own opinion.

Your characterization of me being "jerk" is not....and is against the guidelines. So knock it off, please.[/quote']

I think the "nanny" part was very rude.

it was also a national holiday.....there was supposed to be a children's parade but it was postponed, due to the rain. So nothing was opened. We planned our whole vacation around this cruise. We will still sail with carnival, but will be more diligent. I had received a pamphlet from aruba, but none of this was included so don't know what else we could have done!

If you had googled "about Aruba" you would find everything you need to know about the country..... It's the website offered by that island for tourists.......same with any other port.

G'ma is always like that. It's that Jersey charm! It can't be helped. It just oozes out.

The harassment of our members is not allowed.

Cruise Critic is committed to providing an online environment that is free from these types of harassing postings. Please, don't attack another poster or group of posters. Do not harass, threaten, embarrass, or do anything else to another member that is unwanted. This means: don't say bad things about them, don't keep sending them unwanted Instant Message notes, don't attack their race, heritage, or their sexual orientation, etc. If you disagree with someone, respond to the subject, not the person. Postings of this nature will be removed from the boards.

Please, desist.

redpelican...

Thanks for the information about Sundays in Aruba. We have been sailing for 30 years now and have been to Aruba several times. We did not know about the Sunday closure. I guess on the majority of our cruises we usually leave port on Saturday or Sunday and have not visited too many ports on a Sunday. This is good to know. I can always learn something new by coming to Cruise Critic.

Happy Cruising!

YES, I AM GOING TO WRITE A REVIEW....AM STILL ON VACATION IN FLORIDA, SO IT WILL BE A COUPLE OF DAYS. Right NOW THE QUICKEST TIP I CAN GIVE IS DON'T GET ANY TIME DINING ON THIS SHIP. WE HAD IT AND WERE BASICALLY IGNORED FOR THE MOST PART...NO LAUGHING OR JOKING FROM THE WAITER LIKE WHEN YOU HAVE ASSIGNED DINING. THEY JUST DON'T HAVE IT PERFECTED YET ON THE MIRACLE, AND IT TOOK FOREVER TO GET WAITED ON...SOMETIMES THE ASST, WAITER TOOK OVER...MORE LATER. IT SOUNDS LIKE WE DID NOT ENJOY THE CRUISE, BUT WE REALLY DID...IT WAS A CRUISE AFTER ALL..WHAT ELSE DO YOU NEED.

We were on the same cruise, and had the anytime dining also. We only went 2 out of 3 nights, but we enjoyed the anytime dining experience, sorry your experience wasn't good. Our 1st 2 nights service was prompt, waiters were trying to get it together, you could tell, but still friendly. Our 3rd night, we had the best experience, waiter was laughing, cracking jokes, he was a hoot! He was tipped well for 1 night's experience, we enjoyed our dinner time with him. Sorry I don't remember his name, or I would suggest him for whoever may be going soon. We basically just ate at the buffet for the rest of the time as we were just kind of doing our own thing and if those afternoon naps lasted too long, it didn't matter. Sorry we missed ya at the meet & greet, we were a few minutes late but we did make it.

Cruise Critic is committed to providing an online environment that is free from these types of harassing postings. Please' date=' don't attack another poster or group of posters. Do not harass, threaten, embarrass, or do anything else to another member that is unwanted. This means: don't say bad things about them, don't keep sending them unwanted Instant Message notes, don't attack their race, heritage, or their sexual orientation, etc. If you disagree with someone, respond to the subject, not the person. Postings of this nature will be removed from the boards.

Please, desist.

Hmmm, interesting. I assume this would translate to "do not blatantly refer to a gay male's partner as 'she' or 'wife' continuously in posts especially after it has been pointed out to you at least three times what you were doing."

Thank you for the info, OP. When we went to Roatan last September it was their independence day. We had no clue, so we got held up in a parade and such with our tour guide. Had we been aware, we would have opted for two more hours on the beach rather than sitting behind the parade waiting to move LOL I research excursions and not ports, so I had no clue this would be happening.

It's those folks who don't do research that raise heck when a port is missed or the ship is delayed and start screaming and stomping their feet like children.

And' date=' your opinion of my resposne as being "rude" is subjective and you are welcome to your own opinion.

Your characterization of me being "jerk" is not....and is against the guidelines. So knock it off, please.[/quote']

"If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck......!"

Bill

We had a similar experinece in Tahiti.... got to Papeete and most everything was closed!
During our Hawaii/Tahiti cruise last autumn we hit Bora Bora on Sunday. Bloody Mary's (along with most other businesses) was closed. The owner did open briefly but the most of the pax were not aware; the people that did stop said the Bloody Mary staff was not too happy to be open on Sunday with very little business.

Nothing against the OP, but I enjoy doing research on the islands we're going to visit. This October we will be seeing 3 new places and it's exciting (at least for me) to find out what activities are available. Granted, you can't get all the information you might need but a lot of the tourism websites will give you the customs of the people.

At new ports, my DW feels more comfortable booking a ship excursion and she's not much into the shopping. I think the one thing that we Americans take for granted is that we expect everything to be open every day since that is our lifestyle. I found that to be an eye opener in the islands. We sit on our balcony prior to leaving a port and watch the town shut down as the cruisers return to the ship. (I always wondered where all the taxis and tour buses go at night. :) )

Cruise Critic is committed to providing an online environment that is free from these types of harassing postings. Please' date=' don't attack another poster or group of posters. Do not harass, threaten, embarrass, or do anything else to another member that is unwanted. This means: don't say bad things about them, don't keep sending them unwanted Instant Message notes, don't attack their race, heritage, or their sexual orientation, etc. If you disagree with someone, respond to the subject, not the person. Postings of this nature will be removed from the boards.

Please, desist.

I just had to jump in here. I am a soon-to-be first-time cruiser and was thrilled to find this site and these boards as they have been an amazing source of all sorts of great information, but people like you, G'Ma have made me leary of asking even the simplest questions here because after reading your MANY sarcastic and rude replies to others' posts, I assume I will get the same (and I did!). I find it comical that you posted the above since I have found most of your posts to be borderline harassment. It has to be obvious to you that you rub many people here the wrong way. Maybe it's time to take hint and tone it down a little. People come here for help and advice -- you're taking something away from that.

OP, thanks for the info. I think it will help a lot of folks!

Kate you hit the nail on the had. She rubs many people the wrong way. Instead of removing her posts for being rude, they will remove humorous posts as being nuisance or off topic posts. Which would people rather have? A little humor? Or obviously rude posts?

Sometimes it's not what you say but how you say it :rolleyes:

I'm sure there have been times when even you have made mistakes in your life, people making you feel dumb about it doesn't really help anything...

I really think Carnival should have at least made us aware of this when we booked. We would have booked a different week. Hope no one else is dissapointed over this!

For the record, I don't really think it's Carnival's responsibility to note when stores are going to be open or closed, or when there is a national holiday. Those things can change and it makes them responsible if the information isn't correct later on. However, I do think that the people in charge of the itineraries should do a better job of arranging the days so that doesn't happen to begin with. They have to know this is going to piss people off...

Wow -- You don't click on a thread labeled Sundays in Aruba and expect such excitement.

I also wouldn't expect the cruise line to notify passengers of the shop hours in port at the time of booking. It's all a matter of what the cruiser likes to do. We're not shoppers and if we were there on a Sunday, I doubt we'd notice the shops were closed. We'll be in the water.

I would expect to be told at the port talk on board.

Wow -- You don't click on a thread labeled Sundays in Aruba and expect such excitement.

I also wouldn't expect the cruise line to notify passengers of the shop hours in port at the time of booking. It's all a matter of what the cruiser likes to do. We're not shoppers and if we were there on a Sunday, I doubt we'd notice the shops were closed. We'll be in the water.

I would expect to be told at the port talk on board.

Although I don't expect Carnival to tell me this, or much else really, I'm glad the OP mentioned it so I am now aware that this is something I should check. We are also beach people, so it affects us less, but it's good to know. This is the kind of info I come to Cruise Critic for. :)

Nassau is closed up Sundays also. Sign on pharmacy window indicated they'd be open at 10:30 am on Sunday, about 11:30 am someone finally decided to show up. Going back to the ship through the straw market there was only a steel drum player and a guitarist.

We were also on this cruise. I'll be writing a review in a day or too.

As far as Aruba goes, it didn't bother me that EVERYTHING but one or two shops were closed when we were in port. The problem was it was raining, and 90% of the excursions were cancelled, also, so people were in port for ten hours (noon-10) with very little to do.

I'm not a shopper either, but was surprised that an island that survives on tourism wouldn't make an exception with their shops being open, for even a few hours, when a thousand people wanting to spend money were in town.

We walked a couple of miles in the rain, and found the area near the port very very dirty...trash everywhere, undernourished dogs roaming around and lots of empty shop fronts with graffitti all over. There was not anything that appealed about this stop....exept for that amazing water!

The cruise itself was fabulous, and I would do this itinerary again in a heartbeat. Can't help the weather!

YES, I AM GOING TO WRITE A REVIEW....AM STILL ON VACATION IN FLORIDA, SO IT WILL BE A COUPLE OF DAYS. Right NOW THE QUICKEST TIP I CAN GIVE IS DON'T GET ANY TIME DINING ON THIS SHIP. WE HAD IT AND WERE BASICALLY IGNORED FOR THE MOST PART...NO LAUGHING OR JOKING FROM THE WAITER LIKE WHEN YOU HAVE ASSIGNED DINING. THEY JUST DON'T HAVE IT PERFECTED YET ON THE MIRACLE, AND IT TOOK FOREVER TO GET WAITED ON...SOMETIMES THE ASST, WAITER TOOK OVER...MORE LATER. IT SOUNDS LIKE WE DID NOT ENJOY THE CRUISE, BUT WE REALLY DID...IT WAS A CRUISE AFTER ALL..WHAT ELSE DO YOU NEED.

We also were on this cruise and very much enjoyed the service from the staff during our anytime dining. We had our 3 year old son and the staff bent over backwards to make him happy, made him origami every night, setup empty benches or him to sleep when tired, brought him different foods to try as he is a picky eater, all the staff knew his name and made it a great experience for our son and us, sorry yours was not as good, maybe it helps when you have a cute kid with you - we were seated right away every night except one where we waited 5 minutes.

Haha. We are in our late 20s, were there ANY younger people? I'm reading the clientel on the 8 day miracle sailings is very old!

Also did you do the chef's table?

We have 6pm dinner, confirmed

Yes, it was a much older crowd on this cruise. I am 60 and felt young(but I am anyway!). There were some young people also.

Yes, we did do the chef's table and loved it! Don't eat anything that day..the meal is 7 courses and your wine glass ia aleays full!

Archived