Fuel Surcharge, Plan for it Everyone

But it's not in your control nor anyones... so we just have to deal with it if and when it is reinstated..... Instead of Pissin' and moanin'.... just accept the fact that it may be reinstated !

I am sure you won't mind banks suddenly raising your rate on your mortgage as it is always a possibility. Fact!! ( thats with a non adjustable rate);) Just deal with it!!;)

I am sure you won't mind banks suddenly raising your rate on your mortgage as it is always a possibility. Fact!! ( thats with a non adjustable rate);) Just deal with it!!;)

Non logical argument. If I had a non adjustable rate ...totally not the same as a contract you entered into agreeing to pay up to $9 pp fuel surcharge. You knew that when you booked and agreed to it.

Maybe comparing it to a adjustable rate would be a little closer.

No ...why would one cruise price increasing mean they added fuel to everyone's cruise. If every single cruise went up the amount of the fuel ...then Id say maybe.

It sounds more like wishing and hoping?

There was more than mine, a couple others that I was watching went up $60 per person as well, I know of 7 cruises that went up. If it was just mine it wouldn't have crossed my mind.

My cruise planned for next April jumped $60 per person today, is it possible that they just added the fuel surcharge to the regular fare? That way it would only affect new bookings and not upset people already booked?

Cruises go up all the time. It's why they have the Early Saver fare. Years ago it was more common to see price drops as cruises got closer. Now the better deals are well in advance.

There was more than mine, a couple others that I was watching went up $60 per person as well, I know of 7 cruises that went up. If it was just mine it wouldn't have crossed my mind.

this is wave season when the most people book cruises and when they historically rise in price ...then about august the prices seem to start dropping. part of the answer is seasonal. carnival is going to charge what people will pay.

I noticed all balcony categories for my 1-28-12 cruise went up today. Surprisingly, the Inside, OV and Suite catergories all went down. IMO it is what cruise rates do and do not believe the fuel is the driving force behind the rate increase you see.

OP, I put the $126 fuel surcharge($9X7X2) on my budget from the get go because it says they may add it right there when you do the booking, on the contract and everywhere else we look these days. If they don't charge it, swell. If they do, it is budgeted.

Don't have a mortgage...havent in years.....but your thinking is about as full of hot air as your comparison ! :eek:

I noticed all balcony categories for my 1-28-12 cruise went up today. Surprisingly, the Inside, OV and Suite catergories all went down. IMO it is what cruise rates do and do not believe the fuel is the driving force behind the rate increase you see.

Cabin prices are figured on supply and demand. I've seen the prices change while I'm talking to my PVP.

*Pricing is displayed based on double occupancy rates. Staterooms may be available for other occupancies.

"The company reserves the right to re-instate the fuel supplement for all guests at up to $9 per person per day if the NYMEX oil price exceeds $70 per barrel."

IIRC, last time they announced it about 90 days in advance.

I leave 04/11, I hope we don't have fuel charge, but hey, I understand why. Luckily, its just my husband and I, but this REALLY would suck for larger families- imagine a family of 4 for 7 days- $252=NOT COOL:(

Then if its no comparison why all the WHINING from people who took out adjustable mortgages when the intersest rate could go up , yet whined when rates went up and whined that suddenly they were below equity. apples to apples, you pay for a cruise knowing what you paid may not be enough and you may not go where they told you you were going. ;)

:p:p

If the airfare did not cost them an arm and a leg first ! Your % theory is ridiculous not to mention you are factoring in the highest possible amount per day when in reality it states "Up to $9 per day"..........and for someone that is paying $749.... that % would be less. Anyone can play with #'s and make them look good or bad.... Geeeez

Most ridiculous non-mathmatical numbers ever . But very funny thanks but my computer screen is wet!!!

FSVO of slight. ~14% might seem like a lot to some people which is what it would be to someone on the $349 7 day cruise out of San Juan this week.

Ok what is your point

When fuel goes up it is just a fact of life that the cost is passed on some what. When I have to pay more for fuel for my trucks the cost is passed onto the shipper who in turn passes it off to the consumer.

I understand that people on a cruise are on vacation however you need to look at it from a business standpoint and understand that Carnival has to make a profit. Cruising is one of the cheapest forms of vacation there is and if you do some research you will find that the rates haven't changed much over the years and in a lot of cases have dropped

My point was that if a 14% increase on a 349.00 cruise is going to break someone than maybe that person should reconsider taking a vacation and save their money for another year until they can afford it. When my Wife and I were paying for her school and then starting our company we found other forms of vacation that weren't so costly such as camping so that we weren't laying out money that we could not afford to spend.

Are there really people out there who budget their vacation without the surcharge? There are people who are all of a sudden screwed if the charge gets added?

I am sure there are. If you are cruising with a "larger" family - like 5 or more for 7 days, those fuel surcharges can cost a few hundred dollars. I am sure some people have not figured that into their vacation cost.

I am sure there are. If you are cruising with a "larger" family - like 5 or more for 7 days, those fuel surcharges can cost a few hundred dollars. I am sure some people have not figured that into their vacation cost.

"Can" as in might...last time Carnival started at $5 for pax 1 and 2, and pax 3/4/5 were free, so that would be $70 for a cabin with 5 in it.

I guess there are some dummies out there. Just plain dumb to not budget for something that is so obvious. The price of oil has been well above their limit for extra charges now. Crazy to think they hinged their whole vacation on hoping it wouldn't be charged.

having 5 future group bookings where fuel is covered if its added .... see I do have a use for some groups and TAs. ... depends on what is offered.

Fire - You've been an indispensable resource on these boards!!! (Wanted to start with that :D)

I booked five cabins on the Legend for Feb 2012 - not a large group - not even really a "group" by Carnival's definition.....but, I didn't know there was a way to "safeguard" against fuel increases. What did you do? Just pay the surcharge then if it doesn't come to be, it serves as an OBC? Did you arrange this at booking? Inquiring minds want to know!!!!:p

Thanks for the heads up.....Feb 2012 is a way off but I may have to get my friends to do that.....if it's still possible.

Fire - You've been an indispensable resource on these boards!!! (Wanted to start with that :D)

I booked five cabins on the Legend for Feb 2012 - not a large group - not even really a "group" by Carnival's definition.....but, I didn't know there was a way to "safeguard" against fuel increases. What did you do? Just pay the surcharge then if it doesn't come to be, it serves as an OBC? Did you arrange this at booking? Inquiring minds want to know!!!!:p

Thanks for the heads up.....Feb 2012 is a way off but I may have to get my friends to do that.....if it's still possible.

As mentioned it is part of the way the group bookings are set up thru ebay vouchers and a TA in the UK who of course cannot be mentioned. Fuel surcharges are included in the price ...so if they are added on, Im covered on those 5 group cruises.

If I book on my own of course I wouldnt be...still have some regular bookings looking for some roomies to share the cost. Most people I know work (imagine that) and can only get loose once a year.

I also remember last time, folks from Canada somehow, at least early on, could not be charged the fuel surcharge, just Americans. Canadians had some law that covered them. I would think Carnival now has covered it in their new contract, but who knows. I am sure that everyone country is not going to get hit the same way. Bet on it. Just have to watch to see how it plays out. All these people speculating are just that, guessing what could or might happen.

Are there really people out there who budget their vacation without the surcharge? There are people who are all of a sudden screwed if the charge gets added?

Sure. Because it's highly unlikely to be added anytime soon, based on the public statements of the people that run CCL.

I guess there are some dummies out there. Just plain dumb to not budget for something that is so obvious. The price of oil has been well above their limit for extra charges now. Crazy to think they hinged their whole vacation on hoping it wouldn't be charged.

And it was well above the limit when they removed it last time. Go back and read the news links I posted quoting the folks who run CCL. Unless they want some empty ships they will not be putting it back on.

And don't forget what happened last time:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20080401/ap_tr_ge/travel_brief_cruises_fuel_surcharge

Archived