Fuel Surcharge, Plan for it Everyone

On the news this morning there was speculation on oil going over $200 a barrel by June if Saudi Arabia gets hit with unrest. Best to be prepared all around. Carnival will be paying more for food as well so it will trickle down to the consumer.

I have seen on other boards that people have canceled their cruises because of the price of gas, because airlines have up their prices. I think that if Carnival was do re-instate the fuel charge they would have more people to cancel. Hopefully they will leave it alone. It is cheaper for us to go on a week cruise than to go to Florida and rent a condo for a week. This is why we love cruising. Please Carnival, keep our dream alive and no fuel surcharge.

Prophecy fulfillment. Please don't say things like that in public because they will become more accepted the more people read them and therefore more likely to occur.

Here, here.

I love the talking heads in the media too who tell us to expect gas prices of $X.XX a gallon.

Last time they gave enough warning so people could cancel. When they removed it, they said the costs were basically included in the fare now.

http://articles.sfgate.com/2008-10-26/travel/17136235_1_fuel-fee-fuel-surcharge-fuel-prices

Also see http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/04/14/1578047/carnival-cruise-lines-wont-restore.html

Exactly. They realized that people would rather pay a higher fare than a lower fare and a ‘surcharge’. People have forgotten that.

On the news this morning there was speculation on oil going over $200 a barrel by June if Saudi Arabia gets hit with unrest. Best to be prepared all around. Carnival will be paying more for food as well so it will trickle down to the consumer.

This is a very real situation. And in reading the news you know it will have impact so it is not " prophecy fulfillment" More of a hey in case you haven't read the news this is a coming.

Bob,

Prophecy fulfillment. Please don't say things like that in public because they will become more accepted the more people read them and therefore more likely to occur. :mad:

I do agree with you and your advice is sound, but public opinion needs to remain solidly against fuel surcharges.

This is a very real situation. And in reading the news you know it will have impact so it is not " prophecy fulfillment" More of a hey in case you haven't read the news this is a coming.

More of a "Hey, I don't know any more what is coming than the man in the moon, but I feel like spouting off so that if the fuel surcharge goes on I can tell all my friends I predicted it and add it to my CC sig."

kbmeow,

'In case you haven't read the news this is a coming?' Read up on prophecy fulfillment before drawing conclusions. While you're at it, read up on the various cruise line's statements regarding fuel surcharges.

More of a "Hey, I don't know any more what is coming than the man in the moon, but I feel like spouting off so that if the fuel surcharge goes on I can tell all my friends I predicted it and add it to my CC sig."

mcwebber,

That's the impression I'm left with as well. :p

Elmer McCurdy,

Public opinion will have no affect on Commodities traders nor the price of fuel, but public opinion factors VERY heavily into CCL executives decisions simply because if does affect their profits; If the general public views a cruise vacation as being expensive do to fuel surcharges then bookings will be cancelled and booking numbers will drop.

You know, Paul, I agree with you but then again, I don't. I don't think any line will be stupid enough to call it a "fuel surcharge" again. And it's easier to just pop up the price of new bookings than to tack on a charge for existing bookings. So yes, the opinion of the public does count in that respect -- the cruiseline will just be more creative in how they apply the charge and what they call it.

You know, Paul, I agree with you but then again, I don't. I don't think any line will be stupid enough to call it a "fuel surcharge" again. And it's easier to just pop up the price of new bookings than to tack on a charge for existing bookings. So yes, the opinion of the public does count in that respect -- the cruiseline will just be more creative in how they apply the charge and what they call it.

Elmer McCurdy,

You are right. I'm sure we're all already paying the price in one way or another. They're either increasing prices or cutting back somewhere to account for every penny that flows to the Mid East.

Op,

I think people like you are going to cause all of us to pay the fuel surcharge. You make it seem like it is expected and we should all just sit back, fat, dumb and happy to pay it..

If others like you didn't post how likely it is, and let the cruise lines make their decisions, we would all be better off. Shut up, lol.!!!!!!!!!

Op,

I think people like you are going to cause all of us to pay the fuel surcharge. You make it seem like it is expected and we should all just sit back, fat, dumb and happy to pay it..

If others like you didn't post how likely it is, and let the cruise lines make their decisions, we would all be better off. Shut up, lol.!!!!!!!!!

Katiel53,

That's the spirit! :D

Oh well if they do they do. I for one won't worry about it as I don't vacation until I can actually afford to go so if there is a slight increase in the price it won't be much of a factor

FSVO of slight. ~14% might seem like a lot to some people which is what it would be to someone on the $349 7 day cruise out of San Juan this week.

FSVO of slight. ~14% might seem like a lot to some people which is what it would be to someone on the $349 7 day cruise out of San Juan this week.

mcwebber,

As I recall our charges were only $7 per day per passenger, but it was nice to receive the $245 back as OBC instead of them keeping it. I quoted amounts, but I also seem to recall the amounts were different for first and second passengers vs third & fourth. :confused: Regardless, FSVO any amount back instead of them keeping it was good. :)

If the airfare did not cost them an arm and a leg first ! Your % theory is ridiculous not to mention you are factoring in the highest possible amount per day when in reality it states "Up to $9 per day"..........and for someone that is paying $749.... that % would be less. Anyone can play with #'s and make them look good or bad.... Geeeez

If the airfare did not cost them an arm and a leg first ! Your % theory is ridiculous not to mention you are factoring in the highest possible amount per day when in reality it states "Up to $9 per day"..........and for someone that is paying $749.... that % would be less. Anyone can play with #'s and make them look good or bad.... Geeeez

No matter how you figure it, it's not a small amount. For a family of 4, even if it was only $5 that's $140. Maybe a small amount to some people.

No matter how you figure it, it's not a small amount. For a family of 4, even if it was only $5 that's $140. Maybe a small amount to some people.

Carnival started at $5 for the first two pax....pax 3/4/5 were never as high and started at $0 ...so yes people think everyone is exaggerating.

No one knows what dollar amount it will start at..but carnival never charged the extra pax anywhere near the full amount.

My cruise planned for next April jumped $60 per person today, is it possible that they just added the fuel surcharge to the regular fare? That way it would only affect new bookings and not upset people already booked?

No ...why would one cruise price increasing mean they added fuel to everyone's cruise. If every single cruise went up the amount of the fuel ...then Id say maybe.

It sounds more like wishing and hoping?

Archived