Fuel Surcharge, Plan for it Everyone

Fellow Cruisers,

As it seems that $70 oil per barrel is a thing of the past, we as a cruising community need to come to the realization that we may indeed be paying surcharges in the not so distant future for a while. I for one just recently increased my weekly payment amount for my cruise in Aug 2012 from $30 per week to $35 per week to addequately factor in the possible chance of the fuel surcharge. Knowing about my $10/day gratuity and a possible $9/day fuel surcharge, I am looking at $399 charged to my S&S right off the bat.

So before everyone comes out of the woodwork crying about a "possible" fuel surcharge, just factor it in to your spending/saving/payments that I and probably a lot of other members have. Its the world we live in right now and if you don't like it, get a refund and take a vacation somewhere else.

That's all for now. Have a good one.

Bob

Fellow Cruisers,

As it seems that $70 oil per barrel is a thing of the past, we as a cruising community need to come to the realization that we may indeed be paying surcharges in the not so distant future for a while. I for one just recently increased my weekly payment amount for my cruise in Aug 2012 from $30 per week to $35 per week to addequately factor in the possible chance of the fuel surcharge. Knowing about my $10/day gratuity and a possible $9/day fuel surcharge, I am looking at $399 charged to my S&S right off the bat.

So before everyone comes out of the woodwork crying about a "possible" fuel surcharge, just factor it in to your spending/saving/payments that I and probably a lot of other members have. Its the world we live in right now and if you don't like it, get a refund and take a vacation somewhere else.

Bob

Bob,

Prophecy fulfillment. Please don't say things like that in public because they will become more accepted the more people read them and therefore more likely to occur. :mad:

I do agree with you and your advice is sound, but public opinion needs to remain solidly against fuel surcharges.

hahahahah, I booked a group cruise and it includes fuel if its added, Im already protected.

Who knows....I think people will book less and some will cancel if its added. it kind of pisses people off when surcharges are added to say the least. Glad Im protected.

Who knows....I think people will book less and some will cancel if its added. it kind of pisses people off when surcharges are added to say the least. ................

Fire,

Hopefully the backlash from public opinion is still fresh in executive mind's when they consider bringing it back.

Back when it happened the last time they added it to our bookings that were made prior to any wording on the contracts so we got all of our fuel charges either refunded or as OBC. There was a lot of legal wrangling thus legal expenses incurred that would likely be repeated if they were to add them again regardless of the contract wording. The court of public opinion is the only thing that prevents them from adding them now. Every time the question has been asked of excecutives latately they have all said they aren't considering it.

In addition to fuel surcharges being added, we can also expect itinerary changes where they can reduce distance or speed to save fuel.

salty dingo,

Those changes are the ones that most concern me. I don't mind if they make the changes in advance, but don't want to see them impose them once the ships are underway.

Why do people think public opinion's going to matter? As long as the commodities traders keep speculating on the price due to the instability in the Middle East, the price will rise and CCL will do what it needs to do to protect it's dividend. Planning for the possibility isn't an unsound course of action.

I cruise in 3 weeks. I would hope that Carnival was smart enough to have hedged its fuel for the next 3-6 months. Southwest is a very shrewd airline and hedged its fuel back in 2008 when fuel went sky high. Southwest was the ONLY airline that didn't have to pass on sky high fuel charges to its passengers, and didn't take a huge loss on jet fuel.

For the regular cruiser, we all know about the surcharges and plan for the worst. I for one DON'T want to pay them, but I just have to keep thinking that I might have to. So instead of being ignorant about it and running on here complaining about it 6 months from now, I am fully prepared to deal with it.

I cruise in 3 weeks. I would hope that Carnival was smart enough to have hedged its fuel for the next 3-6 months. Southwest is a very shrewd airline and hedged its fuel back in 2008 when fuel went sky high. Southwest was the ONLY airline that didn't have to pass on sky high fuel charges to its passengers, and didn't take a huge loss on jet fuel.

And later, when the price of fuel dropped, Southwest had their first quarterly loss due to hedging at higher prices.

good plan on paying in advance and being prepared, but this is certainly not some earth shattering "NEW" news !

having 5 future group bookings where fuel is covered if its added .... see I do have a use for some groups and TAs. ... depends on what is offered.

We can always hope that if :rolleyes: or when it starts it will start at $5 per day like last time.

*Pricing is displayed based on double occupancy rates. Staterooms may be available for other occupancies.

"The company reserves the right to re-instate the fuel supplement for all guests at up to $9 per person per day if the NYMEX oil price exceeds $70 per barrel."

IIRC, last time they announced it about 90 days in advance.

With whats going on in Saudi Arabia, I expect to see high gas prices. it has already gone up .14 a week here in Boston. So I expect 4-5 per gallon gas prices. So yes I expect too see cruise following suit soon. While it will suck people need to be prepared for it.

Fellow Cruisers,

Bob

Well, keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't take place at least for the next few weeks. We leave on 3/12...Yippee!! But thanks to all of you CC folks, I have been made aware of the chances of it happening and we have it budgeted in just in case...

I do think that it would be wrong of them to charge it for cruises that are already paid for and about to leave...:rolleyes:

having 5 future group bookings where fuel is covered if its added .... see I do have a use for some groups and TAs. ... depends on what is offered.

You are a frugal planner and that allows you to travel as much as you do ! Kudos to you for being so travel/cost "savvy" :)

Why do people think public opinion's going to matter? As long as the commodities traders keep speculating on the price due to the instability in the Middle East, the price will rise and CCL will do what it needs to do to protect it's dividend. Planning for the possibility isn't an unsound course of action.

Elmer McCurdy,

Public opinion will have no affect on Commodities traders nor the price of fuel, but public opinion factors VERY heavily into CCL executives decisions simply because if does affect their profits; If the general public views a cruise vacation as being expensive do to fuel surcharges then bookings will be cancelled and booking numbers will drop.

Planning for increases is ALWAYS a sound course of action, but avoiding open discussions is also wise so public opinion doesn't become aware and accustomed to the idea.

Incorporating fuel price increases into general pricing is the best course of action for cruise lines to take and you can bet that they have done so already.

Well, keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't take place at least for the next few weeks. We leave on 3/12...Yippee!! But thanks to all of you CC folks, I have been made aware of the chances of it happening and we have it budgeted in just in case...

I do think that it would be wrong of them to charge it for cruises that are already paid for and about to leave...:rolleyes:

Last time they gave enough warning so people could cancel. When they removed it, they said the costs were basically included in the fare now.

http://articles.sfgate.com/2008-10-26/travel/17136235_1_fuel-fee-fuel-surcharge-fuel-prices

Also see http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/04/14/1578047/carnival-cruise-lines-wont-restore.html

Last time they gave enough warning so people could cancel. When they removed it, they said the costs were basically included in the fare now.

http://articles.sfgate.com/2008-10-26/travel/17136235_1_fuel-fee-fuel-surcharge-fuel-prices

Also see http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/04/14/1578047/carnival-cruise-lines-wont-restore.html

Thanks for the link - yes it appears the fares already include the fuel raises.

Archived