Breakfast Rituals...

block

We usually order coffee and juice (and extra containers of milk for bedtime) from room service. While my dear husband shaves and dresses, I head to the buffet and bring back fresh melon and a few things to share as we relax on our balcony. Then we are of to Trivia and the rest of the day. (It's funny, we don't play or follow trivia at home, but love it on the ship. We look for new partners every day and by the end of the cruise, we have lots of new friends

I have never ordered room service on the cruise...I like to get out of my cabin asap !!! I usually troll the buffett for some breakfast..If I'm up early I like to goto the MDR....This trip I would like to order roo service and get eating breakfast out of the way...

What is everyone else's breakfast routine ?? What is your favorite thing to do ??? And eat ??

Well considering I sail with my son who is a toddler, we usually wake up early and eat in the buffet on Lido Deck on most days. There is great variety at the buffet and we enjoy sitting by a window or outside watching the ocean or seeing the port of call. This cruise coming up, now that my son is a bit older, I'd like to try to eat in the Main Dining Room maybe twice. I'd love to try eggs Benedict, mmm :).

I tend to wake up early on cruises. So I do request room service (just 2 chocolate milks & some Danish) to get the morning started before we get ready & dressed for the day.

My prior morning ritual has been to order danishes and coffee from room service as a "pre-breakfast" to tide me over until the fiance is fully awake and ready to go eat something. I like to wake up early and just go sit out on the balcony and enjoy it.

This next cruise though is on RCI and I see they offer a non-continental breakfast with room service, so I may be starting a new tradition with them. :)

I am always the first one up. I go and get my DW a coffee and fruit or danish and we have a bite on the balcony. Once I can get her up, we then go to MDR for the real meal. I always order fish of some sort for breakfast if available as I never can get it at home in the morning. Not that exciting but I am also not a big fan of breakfast.:eek:

I wake and get up early - walk or swim and then drop into the buffet to eat congee or fried eggs, whatever takes my fancy and collect a take away plate of cold cuts and perhaps a sausage ( smoked salmon if available) and head back to our cabin to suggest getting up to my companion while we await the arrival of room service with Continental Breakfast - to be eaten on the Balcony if warm and sunny. We ate once in the MDR for breakfast - they had advertised Eggs Benedict on the menu - all very nice but Harry is not really up to conversation so early and I like to read over breakfast.

If DW is up when I get up, we go to the MDR, which she prefers.

If I'm up and she wants to sleep in, I head for the buffet to check out what's available (I'm an egg/bacon/sausage/etc kind of guy), and to strike up a conversation with someone at my table--great way to meet people and get new perspectives.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't set the alarm unless there's an early shore excursion. I call room service and order a pot of tea and a hot breakfast--usually an omelet for me, my son likes French toast, and my husband mixes it up. It's a little luxury that I love while on vacation, breakfast at my leisure and without putting on makeup. :D

We generally hit the buffet every morning except disembarktion day when we preorder room service the night before. This way we dont have to deal with the huge lines in the buffet. I think we may try the MDR at least once for breakfast this cruise for a change though.

Home or away for 47 years, DH breaks fast as soon after 5 a.m. as he can find food and drink, usually an orange and coffee. DW considers breakfast before 9:30 a.m. barbaric. Aboard the cruise ship, lately a Norwegian, DH is waiting at the podium for Blue Lagoon to open or at the aft outdoor buffet for the first available cup of coffee. DW orders coffee and muesli with yogurt for delivery at 9, then meets DH in the main buffet for an interesting selection of fresh fruit and pastry.

Well we've only been on one cruise so far but DH and I are early risers, up by 6:00 to 6:30 about the time they were putting the coffee out. So we would head upstairs to the lido deck and get our coffee and a pasty if they were out yet and sit out back enjoying the sunrise, quiet, coffee and each others company. Later we would head to the MDR for a leisure breakfast. I don't have anything against buffets but if I have to option of that or getting waited on I'm gunna choose getting waited on.

• 2 weeks later...

We put out the room service card before we turn in for the night. Then in the morning room service is delivered. After I eat I go to the gym to exercise. Back to the cabin to get ready for the day, and Round 2 to either the buffet, or MDR for big breakfast if it's still open.

• 2 weeks later...

I follow my family tradition of an order of pancakes on Disembarkation Day (aka the only day we get up early enough to go to the MDR). It was started by my brother, who made it a point to eat a serving of pancakes on every vacation. And not just buffet pancakes. We nearly missed our chance on our first cruise. Then we realized we could still put in one order at the MDR at Disembarkation Day. The streak lives on!

In reality, though, I'm not a big breakfast person. I like to make my own variety of oatmeal, chopping up sliced fruit from the fruit/cheese sections and adding the compote/syrup from the pancake sections. It's much better than the instant oatmeal I make from a packet because I'm running five minutes late for work.

I've only been one 1 cruise so far (9/4/2010 sailing on the NCL Jewel) but I absolutely loved breakfast at the Great Outdoors, the outdoor buffet onboard the NCL ships. I loved going there as often as I could (my husband spent several days of the cruise in NCL University, so I had a lot of solo breakfasts).

Close second was breakfast in the MDR -- Eggs Benedict and smoked kippers. I'm a breakfast person, can you tell?

• 2 weeks later...

A few times we ordered breakfast via room service -- especially in Europe as we did not want to fight the crowds in the buffet as we had early tours.

Then all of a sudden we started to get extremely poor service on HAL (the others had been on Princess) -- food never arrived before we had to leave -- even after numerous calls by us and our concierges -- or if it did come -- order not correct and/or cold.

So now if we have a tour we eat in the Neptune Lounge. No tour -- go to the suite restaurant area for breakfast.

We love fruit -- and the Neptune Lounge on most ships has a great supply of it -- fresh kiwi, papaya, etc.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I love breakfast on the ship-especially if it is a celebrity ship where there is so much selection I can have a different breakfast every day! I wake up early, usually one of the first there, pile my plate and find a seat with a view of wherever we are that day. On port days the excitement builds and I tend to eat too quickly so I can get back to my room and get ready to disembark. Coffee comes back down to the room with me. If lucky enough to have a balcony-then its all about hauling a tray full of pastries, fruit, juice and coffee back to the room to enjoy the view. I have been known to show up at the buffet in my PJs and bathrobe.....and in the early AM I am not the only one:p

I am up several hours before the wife and daughter. I get up, find coffee somewhere and wander and read a book 5-7 or 6-8 AM everyday. Love the morning up top, can actually find a place to sit :)

Then I make it back to the room to see the gals. It is then we head to breakfast, buffet somedays, MDR others. I prefer MDR, like to sit in the morn and be served, plus I too like the Benedict.

I too have never used room service in my first 2 cruises. Don't know why..just never in the room enough I guess? Out at 6 AM, back in at 8 AM to see my gals, out for breakfast and the day, back at 8 or 9 for the evening.

K

My routine varies by ship. We often cruise with my family. My dad and I both like to go ahead and get up and enjoy the morning. My DH and my mother are both sleepers. Mind you, we are in different cabins. Brother, SIL and Niece are all "sleep in" people too. Dad and I usually find each other in the buffet. We did Mariner of the Seas twice while she was out of Port Canaveral. I wasn't overly impressed with the buffet, so Dad and I enjoyed the MDR.

In 2010, we sailed on Celebrity Solstice. Their Eggs Benedict on the buffet was delicious. Their chocolate croissants were wonderful as well. We mostly did buffet breakfast on Solstice.

Either way, my husband is a big breakfast fan. He is starting to realize if he sleeps all day, he won't get breakfast. LOL

I could take it or leave it. It is more about spending time with my dad when I can.

Archived